Why isn't mercy on the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I lost all confidence in Bono's judgment when he decided that "you wanted violins/and you got Nero" was one of the expendable lines in the song. Like seriously, you cut something original in order to say "because because because we can we must" an extra 20 times?

Last edited:
I lost all confidence in Bono's judgment when he decided that "you wanted violins/and you got Nero" was one of the expendable lines in the song. Like seriously, you cut something original in order to say "because because because we can we must" an extra 20 times?

Because, because, because it works much mooooore :)

Mercy will be on the fourth album in the current cycle "Songs of Bland".
I've had days at the office that appear to go by faster than 1 listen of that song.

fraserclap.gif

That's actually one of my favorite song lyrics of all time. That's a very powerful lyric that probably goes over people's heads.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I find it funny how 'unreleased' songs garner so much love...as if it's so brilliant they can't release it.

Mercy is a whole-hearted, passionate song, but it's kind of a mess too. I think the live version took all the testosterone out of the song...it's a weird listen after hearing the original version.

I find it funny how 'unreleased' songs garner so much love...as if it's so brilliant they can't release it.

Mercy is a whole-hearted, passionate song, but it's kind of a mess too. I think the live version took all the testosterone out of the song...it's a weird listen after hearing the original version.

This is mostly true. Some songs like Winter, that people seem to love, are pure s**t. Mercy is the exception. ? I think the messiness of it makes it better actually, it gives it a less polished, more raw feel.

I love Mercy despite its bootleg quality. In fact, that's the only thing keeping me from placing it up there with the classics.

Mercy will never be on an album - even though its been talked about on this site for years.

It really doesn't fit on this record anyway as far as the music goes. Maybe one of the bonus tracks will take some of the stuff from Mercy but I doubt it.

U2 have many things we havent heard before that are likely better then Mercy - it was just something a hardcore fan got their hands on at the time and they posted it online.

U2 have many things we have heard before that are not better then Mercy - it's the greatest song ever and was just something that some fan got their hands on at the time and they posted it online.

Fixed it.

Mercy will never be on an album - even though its been talked about on this site for years.

While it won't be on a "proper" album, I would say there is a 50% chance it is part of a Best of 2000's collection a la "The Sweetest Thing".

I imagine it will be re-worked just like "The Sweetest Thing" was but I do think it is a good possibility.

For me.....don't care for it. The lyrics are meh although the music is really nice and catchy. I could take it or leave it but given there is a lot of love for it, I would like it to see the light of day on a best of.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Getting the original Mercy out has to be one the coolest coups of this forum over the years. Maybe Lucifer's Hands is a reworked Mercy.

Hope this one makes SOA, minus that 'Because because because we can' chorus.

'Love is come again, I am gone again' would be a great chorus for the last record.

'Baby I'm born again and again and again and again'

Yes, the original version was a mess, but a beautiful mess of the sort U2 hadn't released since The Unforgettable Fire. It also featured some of the best lyrical work Bono had shared in years (Probably since Summer Rain?).

I won't say I hate the live version, but what it did was take the beautiful mess and try to turn it into 00-era blandness. It tried to domesticate it, and ended up castrating it.

I look forward to a nice high quality recording of the album/demo version showing up on the HTDAAB remastered CD, until then I'll stick to the album/demo version if I ever need to hear it again.

Can someone direct me to where I can listen to the original unfinished version that was leaked/released years ago? I only am familiar with the Wide Awake in Europe version.

Yes, the original version was a mess, but a beautiful mess of the sort U2 hadn't released since The Unforgettable Fire. It also featured some of the best lyrical work Bono had shared in years (Probably since Summer Rain?).

I won't say I hate the live version, but what it did was take the beautiful mess and try to turn it into 00-era blandness. It tried to domesticate it, and ended up castrating it.

I look forward to a nice high quality recording of the album/demo version showing up on the HTDAAB remastered CD, until then I'll stick to the album/demo version if I ever need to hear it again.

:applaud::up:

I was so disappointed hearing the live version. What was a great 00's era song (and should have been on HTDAAB along with Fast Cars) was truly muted into some corny shell. This was the best example of U2 taking something great and messing with it so much it lost its appeal.

I'm glad on SOI that there is not much evidence of this. Even the "singles" on SOI seem to just be a touch more radio-friendly, not some mutation of a once great idea/song.

SOI singles were worked on hard and people would be complaining about U2 destroying the songs had they heard DM only production.

:applaud::up:

I was so disappointed hearing the live version. What was a great 00's era song (and should have been on HTDAAB along with Fast Cars) was truly muted into some corny shell. This was the best example of U2 taking something great and messing with it so much it lost its appeal.

I'm glad on SOI that there is not much evidence of this. Even the "singles" on SOI seem to just be a touch more radio-friendly, not some mutation of a once great idea/song.

If we've learned anything from Soi and the HTDAAB demos, it's that over-cooking was never U2's problem. It was actually under-cooking. It's counter-intuitive, but the songs sound fresher and easier AFTER all of the years of work.

I'm wondering about the timing. For all of the talk of Bono's extracurricular activities, how much of the real distraction was actually the band having young children? And now that they're turning into adults and getting their own shows on Showtime, maybe the band can finally focus again?

Back
Top Bottom