Why isn't mercy on the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just listened to the WAIE version of Mercy. And I actually loved it. Much better than the original.
Just kidding, its awful. I like that they played it, but the chorus is awful and they cut the ending. Seems to get even worse over time for me.
Yeah, I kinda feel the same. Bono's always referencing how the songs aren't like children, but their "parents." Mercy must've been on some serious shit to end up like it did :tsk:

Just listened to the WAIE version of Mercy. And I actually loved it. Much better than the original.
Just kidding, its awful. I like that they played it, but the chorus is awful and they cut the ending. Seems to get even worse over time for me.

What in the world was Bono thinking??? "Hmm...let's see how I can take
a demo song that showed a lot of promise and totally butcher it and add
a rediculous chorus. Yep...that should do it."

I hope the live version never sees the light of day again. It was simply
horrible.

The end where Bono yells, "How can someone feel nothing" repeatedly is amazing. One of my favorite moments in any U2 song ever. Have no idea what they were thinking to cut that.

The end where Bono yells, "How can someone feel nothing" repeatedly is amazing. One of my favorite moments in any U2 song ever. Have no idea what they were thinking to cut that.

That and Edge's guitar during "I was ripping the stitches" are the two best parts.

Of course they were both cut.

Alright that's good to know. I'm late on the whole Mercy thing so I was just trying to figure out for sure that there's not a better version out there. If the version that was leaked has a shitty quality I can understand that. I guess all we can do is wait and hope that the band puts out a fully mastered track of THAT version, and not the most recent rendition.

If I'm putting all likelihood aside, I can picture the original version of Mercy being re-recorded with Danger Mouse at the helm, and getting some much needed polish. There is something there...

But isn't it just so much better to listen to this song in its present state? What if the new version ruined the old for you? What if the 'something' about this song is recorded exactly as it's supposed to be. Like Eno said, the best ideas in the wrong environment can turn to shit.

I've been championing this song from day one.

And I don't want it to appear on any future studio album, because its moment has passed.

What I would like is for it to appear on an officially sanctioned rarities collection. Something like Unreleased And Rare would be cool, but I'd rather it be on something more than a fan club release so the general public can bask in its glory. Once the band retires a widely-released b-side collection is certainly a likelihood.

But mostly I want to go back in time to the moment captured in the Blender interview and slap the shit out of Larry before he can make his idiotic suggestion to cut it.

I think the end part is pretty bad and messy and too long and Bono´s singing on that part is horrible

Live version sucks ass.....I was at Zurich II the first time they played it live and the initial excitement faded to disappointment by the time it was over. I first thought it was the pouring rain that night and I wasn't hearing everything clearly perhaps but came away afterwards realizing they butchered it.....for whatever reason.....maybe to make it more poppier

The live version of mercy is a disgrace to the original. What is good about it? They watered down the lyrics. That's my biggest issue. They took an emotional, gut ripping song and turned it into a Crazy Tonight rewrite.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The live version of mercy is a disgrace to the original. What is good about it? They watered down the lyrics. That's my biggest issue. They took an emotional, gut ripping song and turned it into a Crazy Tonight rewrite.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yes, cause "you're weed killer honey" is just so poetic.

YOU WANT TO KILL ME
AND I WANT TO DIE
BLAH BLAH HEART SOUL KNEEL
YOU AND l

Last edited:
People love to pick out the lines you hate and say oh the lyrics are so BAD. But don't pretend there aren't some real beauties in there too.

Back
Top Bottom