Why is Bono saying sorry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To U2 it matters whether people are saying nice things about them and approving of what they're doing. But at this point, they are essentially like a Transformers movie...i.e. critic proof. The tour would sell out even if they put out no record. U2 just wants to be relevant and part of the cultural zeitgeist...preferably in a good way, but they'll take what they can get.

No one is arguing that the negative reaction hurt CD sales..the complainers weren't going to buy the CD anyway. But asking whether U2 could have achieved their objectives without the negative backlash is a legitimate question. But really, at the end of the day it's much ado about nothing because most people just don't care, and won't even think about U2 again until the tour starts. The only place any of this matters this week is here and places like it. The rest of the Earth has moved on.

Another thing this release accomplished is that for the first time, the U2 haters also received a Public Perception hit, and this hasn't been mentioned nearly enough.

Between Conan's skit and articles defending the band along with this group of haters even being placed in the hipster bucket, I'd say it put a dent into the PR hit that U2 received.

How much? Well it's about as difficult to quantity as the actual U2 PR hit that U2 received.

When using actual facts like gvox did earlier, it's much more difficult to call this release strategy a failure.

The owls are not what they seem.

Don't forget Jimmy Kimmel's skit, which was the best because he basically said F-U to everyone complaining(and that U2 is a great band).

I'm with you and the others on this, in that it was a success(to what extent we don't know yet).

I mean, did Interference lose any members? Did U2.com lose members or @U2? I'm legitimately asking because my feeling is no, so U2 didn't lose fans(if I am wrong, by all means let me know). I do know that they have gained Facebook, Twitter and Instagram followers every day since the "release".

My take-

Bucket 1-If you liked U2, you still like them.
(fuck it) Bucket 2-If you hated U2, you still hate them...even more now.
If you didn't know about U2, you do now. A portion of these folks will fall into bucket 1 and a potion will fall into bucket 2 but one thing is for sure, if not for how it was released, a significant amount less would have fallen into bucket 1.

I would like to believe in Headache's theory that if they didn't do the Apple extravaganza that the songs would have been more likely to be noticed because they are good but I just don't know. I hope that these songs can somehow break through this fog of negativity and shine as bright as they do for me but time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I would like to believe in Headache's theory that if they didn't do the Apple extravaganza that the songs would have been more likely to be noticed because they are good but I just don't know. I hope that these songs can somehow break through this fog of negativity and shine as bright as they do for me but time will tell.

But don't you think that U2 could still have had the Apple extravaganza, still given the record away for free, and still generated hype without the necessary negative press by simply not dropping it into people's library uninvited?

Sure, hindsight is 20/20...but if they had to do it over again, do you think U2 might do it differently?

I wonder, instead of the new U2 record, Apple dropped an audiobook of the Bible and Koran into everyone's iTunes, if people here would be "grateful" and call those complaining about it "ungrateful babies."

After all, it's just a" gift", and if people don't want those things, they can just delete them, right? What's the big deal?

What I find strange is that in your example, would you be mad at Catholics/Muslims or would you be mad at Apple? Let's not forget, it was Apples decision to do this, even if U2 were all for it, its Apples software.

Ultimately, the anger is directed at U2 when the onus was on Apple, thats what I find odd.

Also, I completely get that people don't want it but I do not find most of the negative responses(which we hear more of as they are the loudest) proportional. Look at U2s Instagram account under the album cover photo, there is a comment that reads(and I'm paraphrasing) "suck my d*** you , get your bulls*** songs off my phone. I hate your a$$hole band".

To me, the issue isn't that people are upset, I get that, it's the extent that they appear to be upset and I don't find that it's that big of a deal.

Edit-my memory of that posters quote was a little off, he actually ended his rant with "eat many dicks" because eating one wouldn't have been enough, clearly.

Not really. Given that we are talking about U2 and specifically Bono, haters will never shut up. They may have had less of substance to bitch about but you can certain they'd still be bitching.

But don't you think that U2 could still have had the Apple extravaganza, still given the record away for free, and still generated hype without the necessary negative press by simply not dropping it into people's library uninvited?

Sure, hindsight is 20/20...but if they had to do it over again, do you think U2 might do it differently?

Yes, you keep referencing a method that was suggested by a poster here, and no it was not U2girl. I thought that would have been a cool idea to post it on their own iTunes account and it would have been a good balance between not being over the line and upsetting people but still making waves. However, would non-U2 fans who may not have heard about the band have noticed/cared? Probably not and I think (I'm not 100% on this) that the bands intentions were to introduce themselves to a whole new generation of fans.

When all is said and done, for me, the option you keep championing would have been great in my book because as a U2 fan, I just want new and GOOD music, and they delivered on both of those!

What I find strange is that in your example, would you be mad at Catholics/Muslims or would you be mad at Apple? Let's not forget, it was Apples decision to do this, even if U2 were all for it, its Apples software.

Ultimately, the anger is directed at U2 when the onus was on Apple, thats what I find odd.

Also, I completely get that people don't want it but I do not find most of the negative responses(which we hear more of as they are the loudest) proportional. Look at U2s Instagram account under the album cover photo, there is a comment that reads(and I'm paraphrasing) "suck my d*** you <homophobic slur>, get your bulls*** songs off my phone. I hate your a$$hole band".

To me, the issue isn't that people are upset, I get that, it's the extent that they appear to be upset and I don't find that it's that big of a deal.

I agree and have said that the people going crazy over it...i.e. U2 invaded my privacy, etc. is absurd. I understand and respect that some people are annoyed, though I do think the Twitter chatter, etc. has been over the top.

Also, I do think there has been backlash towards Apple, but we just concentrate on the U2 aspect b/c this is a U2 site. And, let's face it, U2 is just an easier target than Apple because people love to mock U2 anyway. Apple's brand, in general, is a lot stronger than U2's, and people are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Moreover, the host hurtful meme is the one that plays into the preconceived notions people already have of something...so this distribution method just played into the existing image U2 has (among many) as a megalomaniac band that wants to take over the world. So they just played right into that. Perhaps for some other band people would have given them the benefit of the doubt. If New Zealand mailed a t-shirt with the Kiwi flag on it to everyone in the world people would probably think it was cute (well, maybe not in OZ). If the US did it people would think it was obnoxious. As for Apple it played, reasonably or unreasonably, into people's current concerns about privacy with their personal devices. Again, I'm not saying all these reactions are reasonable (and as I said I think the "privacy" argument is absurd), but as Headache pointed out, that doesn't really matter. All that matters is how people perceive it.

With regards to my Bible example, yeah, people would be annoyed at Apple, including a lot of people here. And if Apple partnered with, I don't know, Joel Olsteen to put a Bible in your iTunes, I imagine people would be annoyed at Olsteen as well. Can you imagine? So to the extent people are annoyed, I think it's rightly directed to U2 and Apple...U2 was well aware of what Apple was doing. Putting the thing uninvited into people's iTunes was the only way they could get the biggest album release in history, which was the kind of splash they wanted. I do think that they probably were a bit unprepared for the backlash, and that they may not have been aware of the technical aspects of auto download, deleting from the iCloud, etc.

I know I'm in the minority here, I'm not saying I'm "right", this is just my opinion. And I'm not under any illusions that I'm going to win a debate about this on a U2 fan site. I guess my point is, like everyone else here I'm fine with what U2 did, I'm not going to criticise reasonable people who have a problem with it, I just try to see their POV as well. So yeah, people over reacting is kind of ridiculous, as is calling people who don't want uninvited stuff in their iTunes library crying babies. I just think a lot of people here are OK with it because they like the content of what their being given..i.e. U2, and would feel much differently if it were something else (e.g., the Bible, the Koran, a white supremacist metal band, the collected speeches of Sarah Palin, etc.)

Yes, you keep referencing a method that was suggested by a poster here, and no it was not U2girl.

Yeah, it was Earnie Shavers and I still think it was a great idea. :up:

In other words none of all these grand theories or ideas really make one difference to the real bottom line: album sales, ticket sales and when an encouraged or discouraged U2 packs it in once and for all. Because that date (or rough time frame) has been set, I believe. Positive or negative perception.

All we're doing here is trying to think of ways that they could have done it better so we could feel better about being U2 fans and hold up our shiny new cd to our friends without feeling sheepish while the inevitable "omg U2 spammed me" bullshit argument fires up for the bazillionth time.

God. How pathetic. Good thing the band operates on a higher ground.

Sent from my ass crack

Well for fucks sake I wasn't even talking to Nick directly, but more to the general discussion being in vain and tiresome. Any number of others like Headache Ernie Reggie Mikal could have chosen to take what I said personally and use it to troll for a new argument, but they didn't. :shrug:

Sent from my ass crack

I just think a lot of people here are OK with it because they like the content of what their being given..i.e. U2, and would feel much differently if it were something else (e.g., the Bible, the Koran, a white supremacist metal band, the collected speeches of Sarah Palin, etc.)

So change it to content that everyone would want.

Change it to "a million dollars in our bank accounts".

How would this privacy argument hold up as a principle?

If you say 'we would all want free money', then this is ALL about the content and the preferences between wanted content and unwanted content just on a purely subjective level. Otherwise, you'd have to believe people would bitch and moan about getting free money in their bank accounts. You know, on second thought...maybe people would find a way to bitch about that.

Because it's obvious I will never win this debate on a U2 fan forum... my last point is this.

If it was simply decided that it was free, but you had to actually go to iTunes and click a button to download it instead of it automatically being added to everyone's purchased lists, it would be hailed as genius, nobody but the most adamant U2 haters would say shit about it, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I agree with this completely. The fact that it was a free album would've created a huge buzz, and people who didn't want it wouldn't have said anything about it at all. Hardcore and casual fans would have got it, as well as would many curious people who aren't necessarily fans, because why the hell not? People who had never listened to U2 would have given it a try, and there'd be less of a negative spin on it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I agree with this completely. The fact that it was a free album would've created a huge buzz, and people who didn't want it wouldn't have said anything about it at all. Hardcore and casual fans would have got it, as well as would many curious people who aren't necessarily fans, because why the hell not? People who had never listened to U2 would have given it a try, and there'd be less of a negative spin on it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Don't forget the people though that said "I don't know who the hell U2 is but this album is kind of good." There's no way that they would have chosen to download the album if it hadn't appeared in their library.

I'm not making the privacy argument...I've already said I think that's ridiculous.

I know you're not - personally.

But if this is not about the ridiculous privacy argument, I guess I don't understand what you see as a reasonable criticism w/r/t the subject.

I know you're not - personally.

But if this is not about the ridiculous privacy argument, I guess I don't understand what you see as a reasonable criticism w/r/t the subject.

I don't think it's unreasonable if you're someone who doesn't like U2 (or even people who do) and you wake up and see that the new record has been automatically downloaded onto your hard disc that you're annoyed. Just as you have a right to be annoyed at unwanted shampoo samples that show up in your mail and the stuff in your spam folder. Yes, you can throw it away or delete it, but I don't think it's unreasonable that people didn't appreciate it, and have a problem with it.

No, I'm not saying going on Twitter saying U2 raped you or Apple is cyber spying on you is reasonable. But at the same time, I think all the defence of this on here, and the criticism of people who have a problem with it, is based pretty much on the fact that they like what Apple put into their library, and they'd feel differently if it was something else...that's the "content' argument I was making.

It's great that people listened to U2 who otherwise might not have, really. But is forcing your way into people's phones the best way to do that? I'm fine with what they did, and see both sides of this, but guess I just don't like the mockery and criticism by U2 fans of people who see this whole thing a different way. I do think it's reasonable to not want Apple to put unwanted, unasked for music onto your phone, even if all you have to do is delete. it. Just as I don't like the over the top whining about what happened...I think there's a reasonable way to see both sides of this without being completely polarised. But what we end up with is either "You're all ungrateful crying babies" (Interference) or "U2 raped my iPhone" (Twitter), and I just wish that wasn't the case.

if Metallica gave me a free album and it appeared in my iTunes i don't think i'd care that much.

i think that U2/Bono inspire a unique kind of overreaction, i really can't think of a similarly divisive artist, at least in this area. i don't think it's fair, but you also can't say that the band hasn't brought it on itself over the past few years, and i can't imagine that this was totally unanticipated. and i also think the negativity has been a few loud voices rather than an overwhelming chorus. my only real concern is, as has been mentioned, they decide to hang it up too soon because they think they've screwed it all up. given how much this album is holding up for me, and the fairly fantastic performances we've gotten this week on the BBC, there's still life in this old girl.

what is important are the questions this release has raised, and for U2, it got people thinking about them again after a long, long time away. it's almost like NLOTH is a lost era for them, other than the tour (which basically became a greatest hits tour), there's absolutely nothing culturally memorable from them between 2004-2014. so they obviously had to do something.

with a minor tweak or two, i might have done the same thing. likely, the calculus was, "we can't not do this."

the "apology" was bullshit. it made the news, just in time for the album release (good timing), but it was weak and insincere. stand by the fucking decision. admit that, yes, you can see how people were annoyed, but don't say the s-word.

the "apology" was bullshit. it made the news, just in time for the album release (good timing), but it was weak and insincere. stand by the fucking decision. admit that, yes, you can see how people were annoyed, but don't say the s-word.

I agree about the apology. Empathise with people who had a problem with it (Bono's good at that) but stand by what you did and move on.

I also agree that we are at the beginning of U2's endgame, but I doubt this would cause them to pack it in early...they have more resolve than that. When their sold out tour starts no one is going to be thinking or care about all this...just like most people outside of U2 world don't even think or care about it now.

I apologised to Catherine after I picked up her coat because it had been knocked on the floor, just because she may have wished for her coat to stay on the floor

But that it did anger a lot of people and is rightly or wrongly widely accepted to have been a disaster is something they absolutely have to talk to.

I think that for some people it's up there with Islamic State and cancer. Band automatically downloads their album for free onto Iphones

Who cares whether you get a new album every week by different artists, these people are loaded anyway. I also thought that when you purchase a phone, it is licensed to the network provider and phone manufacturer. Just like a computer network in an office, either Microsoft or Apple lease out the licence out to the users, it's not technically yours. I was once told by the Carphone Warehouse that Orange didn't want me to change to a new provider. BT have hiked up their prices and there's nothing you can do. If I fiddled with the fuse box I could be in trouble with Ecotricity (my electricity provider). If Apple want to send you something, delete something, change the terms of your contract, etc - they are well within their rights.

Another thing that some people who I have spoken about this have to remember, is that not everyone is an anti-capitalist. I don't care that Apple have paid U2 to do this 'cos it's not a big deal.

After watching the graham norton show last night i still fully believe that the apology wasnt ment and was tounge in cheek. They dont seem like a band thats sorry to me, they seem quite happy to take the piss out of the whole situation

^ Yeah, Bono also talked about it in the latest interview from Miami, he said he feels he should "apologize for apologizing" now :lol:

The non apology was simply "we're sorry you took offence but we're not sorry we did it."

Case closed.

Is that you, voice of reason & logic?

I wish you showed up sooner. Even though it probably wouldn't of helped.

Back
Top Bottom