Why is Bono saying sorry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Oops. I'm sorry about that. I had this beautiful idea and we got carried away with ourselves. Artists are prone to that kind of thing. Drop of megalomania, touch of generosity, dash of self-promotion, and deep dear that these songs that we poured our life into over the last few years mightn't be heard. There's a lot of noise out there. I guess we got a little noisy ourselves to get through it." -- Bono

Politeness really seems to emanating from one side here. I really appreciate U2 just being above all this stupid horseshit.

people are eejits - that was totally a piss take apology i swear :D

I wonder how many downloaders had iTunes set to automatically download purchases. I've always had that feature turned off. When U2 surprise released the album I had to physically go in and download the album. It didn't automatically appear for me.

The owls are not what they seem.

Just as many who don't realize that every picture you take is uploaded to the cloud unless you turn that feature off...

Just as many who don't realize that Facebook has privacy settings...

Just as many who use 12345 or password1 as their passwords...

In other words... A whole shit load of stupid people.

Because it's obvious I will never win this debate on a U2 fan forum... my last point is this.

If it was simply decided that it was free, but you had to actually go to iTunes and click a button to download it instead of it automatically being added to everyone's purchased lists, it would be hailed as genius, nobody but the most adamant U2 haters would say shit about it, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Just as many who don't realize that every picture you take is uploaded to the cloud unless you turn that feature off...

Just as many who don't realize that Facebook has privacy settings...

Just as many who use 12345 or password1 as their passwords...

In other words... A whole shit load of stupid people.

But the default is auto downloads=OFF, or not? Usually the less experienced users leave the default settings

Because it's obvious I will never win this debate on a U2 fan forum... my last point is this.

If it was simply decided that it was free, but you had to actually go to iTunes and click a button to download it instead of it automatically being added to everyone's purchased lists, it would be hailed as genius, nobody but the most adamant U2 haters would say shit about it, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Yep, and aside from Bono's apology, didn't Adam recently say something acknowledging that that final automatic step may have been an oversight on their part?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the free album was a bad idea, just that not having the foresight to see that at the moment - even if it's something as simple and 'innocent' as a free album - anything involving the addition or removal of something into or from your personal online space is a reeeaaally touchy subject. Whether it's the government collecting data from your emails or some creep stealing photos of you with your ankles around your ears or U2 inserting an album directly into your playlist, a lot of people very much want to make it clear that there's a line there that shouldn't be crossed. And whinging about "it's a gift for fucks sake" really is missing the point.

wait, this statement is supposed to be controversial?? :drunk:

Because it's obvious I will never win this debate on a U2 fan forum...

True. And as Catman said, what you've written wouldn't be remotely controversial anywhere else...in fact it would seem patently obvious. You just kind of have to put your head in the sand and ignore what the rest of the Earth is saying outside of Interference to think this release is an unqualified success.

Yep, and aside from Bono's apology, didn't Adam recently say something acknowledging that that final automatic step may have been an oversight on their part?

Yes Adam said that in one of the recent radio interviews, however the oversight shouldn't lie with U2, it should be with the tech heads at Apple. U2 are supplying the music and Apple the delivery method.

while i still maintain it's obnoxious, and for many fans on the wane it was the last straw, and it may have been something necessary for them to do, it has provoked a lot of interesting discussion about The State Of Popular Music and other such things.

its not like u2 owns or controls itunes though, maybe the backlash should have been against them. If the new iphone was a POS, would people blame u2 for that too?

its not like u2 owns or controls itunes though, maybe the backlash should have been against them. If the new iphone was a POS, would people blame u2 for that too?

No, but people should be across this stuff. How and where will this appear? What action will people have to take? Step by step.

while i still maintain it's obnoxious, and for many fans on the wane it was the last straw, and it may have been something necessary for them to do, it has provoked a lot of interesting discussion about The State Of Popular Music and other such things.

I agree. The whole process has been Fascinating. These last 6 weeks have been a whirlwind. Ive had to charge my phone twice a day. Im literally reading everything,good and bad.

Wondering why the brouhaha isn't more about knowing what you signed up for and being sure your privacy settings are what you ASSume them to be.

Exactly the point I've been making. I didn't get the U2 album automatically dumped into my iTunes. Because I don't have it set to automatic, I have it set so that I control it. I had to go get it, and it actually took me a few minutes to figure out how.

So all the lame brains who asked to be spoon fed, got spoon fed. Screw them if they don't like it.

Like how Invisible was hailed as a stroke of genius for being made free through iTunes?

Sent from my fingertips.

I didn´t get the record from iTunes.:(
No one sent me nothing, and they said it was free.
I had to download it "illegally" from the internet in dubious virus infected websites!
I could had caught the Ebola or some other virus.
This is a criminal offense!

U2 has pushed me into a life of crime.
I am a criminal thanks to "The Godfather" Don Bono. :grumpy:

Bono's been apologizing since Pop came out. He's become very touchy about public perception and frantically backpedals if he feels like U2 is getting negative press.

I wonder how many downloaders had iTunes set to automatically download purchases. I've always had that feature turned off. When U2 surprise released the album I had to physically go in and download the album. It didn't automatically appear for me.

Well, even if you have auto downloads checked, keep in mind the option is to automatically download new purchases. So I can still see people being annoyed and surprised to see a record they didn't purchase in there.

If you're shopping at the grocery store, someone standing in the isle offering a free sample is one thing; dumping a case of Spam (literally) in your cart next to your wine and Cheerios is something else. You don't want it there, it's taking up room in your cart, you hate Spam, and you don't remember telling Tesco they could just dump crap in your cart uninvited anyway. Yeah, you can always take the Spam out, but why should you have to screw with it in the first place?

Bono's been apologizing since Pop came out.

:lol: True. There's nothing more punk rock than saying "I'm sorry".

Back
Top Bottom