Why did Bono lie about this being a long album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah. Well, it didn't give much away musically. Just a shot of Eno at his keyboard with headphones on, going at it.

:heart:

I wasn't :reject:
God, you don't like EAA? It's the third best song from Passengers... maybe fourth

I don't hate EAA, but it just doesn't compare to the best of OS1... YBR, Slug, Beach Sequence, Corpse, Miss Sarajevo are all legitimate U2 classics, in my opinion. And that's being conservative.

Length doesn't determine value. A book that takes longer to read doesn't mean it's better.

I don't hate EAA, but it just doesn't compare to the best of OS1... YBR, Slug, Beach Sequence, Corpse, Miss Sarajevo are all legitimate U2 classics, in my opinion. And that's being conservative.

God, we have completely different opinions on this or...
I need to listen to OS1 again. :wink:

hahaha. i like it a lot more now than i used to, but it's still the weakest song on passengers.

which means i prefer it over atylcb and htdaab, lol.

:lol:

Yeah... I guess we don't agree in most things. :wink:

Take this seriously then...

i cant believe this thread is in page 15.

They wrote some music. We will listen to said music.

We get 53 minutes of it. Thats better than 0 minutes of it. Bono said it is long, and by modern convention for album lengths, and song lengths, the album is huge.

How this got to 15 pages baffles me.

If you are seriously complaining that we only get 53 minutes i feel REALLY sorry for you, because your life must be so hollow and empty to have absolutely nothing else in it.

Grow. The. Fuck. Up :wave:

Well, well, well. Weren't you the one chiding me a few weeks back about how I had nothing positive to say and didn't respect people on this forum? This guy opens up a thought that actually some of us U2 fans think is relevant, but since it's not sing-songy or worshipping everything that is U2, apparently it's childish and pointless. How about this:

Someone who stalks message boards to find anyone who says something about U2 that they don't agree with and then follows it with your above post must have a life that is so hollow and empty to have absolutely nothing else in it.

Well, well, well. Weren't you the one chiding me a few weeks back about how I had nothing positive to say and didn't respect people on this forum? This guy opens up a thought that actually some of us U2 fans think is relevant, but since it's not sing-songy or worshipping everything that is U2, apparently it's childish and pointless. How about this:

Someone who stalks message boards to find anyone who says something about U2 that they don't agree with and then follows it with your above post must have a life that is so hollow and empty to have absolutely nothing else in it.

Why don't you try and explain how him calling Bono a liar is relevant, I would love to hear this...

So it has to be either or? :rolleyes:

Everyone who's reviewed the album pretty much says Boots is one of the weaker tracks, plus NO it doesn't point towards the Vertigo direction... when will people actually start listening to the song?

1. I highly disagree that GOYB is a weaker track. No way do they take a 5 year hiatus, write 40 songs, then say, gee, let's give the world the most sub-par of what we have written. Funny how the song most of you were going nuts over and bashing people like me for having an independent opinion is now simply a "weak" track.

2. YES, the song does point to Vertigo - a one-dimensional song lead by a simple, repetitive guitar riff, Bono talking instead of singing like he's out of breath, short, very commercial, self-conscious sounding. If the rest of the album is like GOYB, I guarantee you're gonna get HTDAAB II and nothing mind-shattering like all of you claimed GOYB symbolized.

Before you go making accusations against someone that is pretty well liked and respected on the board, maybe you should ask yourself if maybe your negative posts and the fact that you have a small post count might be giving people the false impression that you are simply trying to rile people up. Maybe we are misjudging you because we haven't gotten to know you quite yet. I don't think Dan's main goal in his life is to prey on those who don't like everything U2.

Why don't you try and explain how him calling Bono a liar is relevant, I would love to hear this...

It's relevant to us in a number of ways:

1. It is another blatant example of how over the launch of the past 3 albums, Bono has gone on about how they're doing something revolutionary, changing it up, using all this hyperbole, acting like they're doing something so different and trend-setting like Achtung Baby or Kid A, and instead, when push comes to shove, we get an over-produced, short, self-conscious collection of songs. There was a time when U2 put out ENTIRE ALBUMS and weren't worried about pop-friendly, radio songs. Ever since POP, they've been so worried about being themselves that they take what they write and overwork it to death. The U2 of the early 90's would have put out Native Son, or Mercy, or Smile, or the original ABOY. The U2 of the 80's certainly would not be releasing GOYB.

2. Length matters when you also consider how they've gone on about how creative they've been, reaching the "vein" or "mine" of musical sounds and ideas, and that's why it's taken them so long to produce an album. Now we get a 50 minute album with 10 songs and you gotta wonder, gee, maybe they're full of shite. Maybe they were just plain lazy or wrote 40 terrible songs and weren't sure what to do with them. Maybe they are just too self-conscious about what they wrote so they took 10 to Eno and said make this sound radio friendly. Whatever you want to consider, it is relevant considering it's been 5 years, they wrote 40 songs, and we get 10 at 50 minutes when Bono went on about it being long. It is worth noting.

It probably was me, because the cap seems to fit you pretty well.

I wouldn't exactly describe my behaviour as stalking given the 1000's of positive things I have said on a board FOR U2 FANS. Stalkers are generally those who lurk silently, only cropping up to post negative shit for a bit of a rant, say 47 times in 4 and a half years?

I don't care what anyone has to say that is constructively negative. But this is schoolyard shit. Awww Bobo said it was long...... cry fucking cry.

It is long, its juts not uber-headfuck70minutesmostofwhichisfillerstupidlong. If you guys dont think 53 minutes is a long album these days, you've got no fucking idea.

So yeah, I dont think my comment was out of line given the amount of overly-negative, bitchy for the sake of being bitchy shit that is being flung from pillar-to-post on this forum.

If you want to be constructive, there are ways to go about it. Starting a stupid thread about "Bobo lied to us, fuck him" on a U2 message board is designed to get backlash.

You guys should start a mutual masturbation thread in another forum and talk about the good-old-days in private :wave:

Maybe they are just too self-conscious about what they wrote so they took 10 to Eno and said make this sound radio friendly.

They took songs to Eno make radio-friendly

:lmao:

Seriously, keep going... this is great.

1. I highly disagree that GOYB is a weaker track. No way do they take a 5 year hiatus, write 40 songs, then say, gee, let's give the world the most sub-par of what we have written. Funny how the song most of you were going nuts over and bashing people like me for having an independent opinion is now simply a "weak" track.
Well you haven't heard the album, the folks writing the reviews have, so that's what I was basing that comment on. Numb was by far the weakest track, didn't stop them from making it a single, because it worked as a single. Same with Disco(well it may have been superior to Miami but that's about it)...

2. YES, the song does point to Vertigo - a one-dimensional song lead by a simple, repetitive guitar riff, Bono talking instead of singing like he's out of breath, short, very commercial, self-conscious sounding. If the rest of the album is like GOYB, I guarantee you're gonna get HTDAAB II and nothing mind-shattering like all of you claimed GOYB symbolized.

One dimensional song? Repetitive riff?

If you can't find dimensions in Boots then I'm sorry...:shrug: Yes, it's not an obviously "deep" song but there are dimensions.

It has a quick riff that is repeated throughout the song but it's nothing like Vertigo, Vertigo is linear power chord riff, Boots has much more going on than that song.

The only thing the two songs have in common is the quick singing, and the disposable pop feeling(which so was Disco). In fact the song has more in common with Disco than Vertigo...

1. It is another blatant example of how over the launch of the past 3 albums, Bono has gone on about how they're doing something revolutionary, changing it up, using all this hyperbole, acting like they're doing something so different and trend-setting like Achtung Baby or Kid A, and instead, when push comes to shove, we get an over-produced, short, self-conscious collection of songs. There was a time when U2 put out ENTIRE ALBUMS and weren't worried about pop-friendly, radio songs. Ever since POP, they've been so worried about being themselves that they take what they write and overwork it to death. The U2 of the early 90's would have put out Native Son, or Mercy, or Smile, or the original ABOY. The U2 of the 80's certainly would not be releasing GOYB.

2. Length matters when you also consider how they've gone on about how creative they've been, reaching the "vein" or "mine" of musical sounds and ideas, and that's why it's taken them so long to produce an album. Now we get a 50 minute album with 10 songs and you gotta wonder, gee, maybe they're full of shite. Maybe they were just plain lazy or wrote 40 terrible songs and weren't sure what to do with them. Maybe they are just too self-conscious about what they wrote so they took 10 to Eno and said make this sound radio friendly. Whatever you want to consider, it is relevant considering it's been 5 years, they wrote 40 songs, and we get 10 at 50 minutes when Bono went on about it being long. It is worth noting.

about point 2: how about we use another thing they said:

THEY WANT THIS TO BE A COHESIVE ALBUM!

its very unrealistic to expect a cohesive, listen all at once style album that lasts more then 50-odd minutes. They do have other songs, probably just as good, that just didnt fit, and we will hear them eventually.

As for your 50 minutes, 10 songs comment:

Maybe this is why you are so cranky, you DONT ACTUALLY KNOW THAT THERE ARE 11 SONGS ON THE ALBUM, OR THAT IT IS 52 and a bit MINUTES

Before you go making accusations against someone that is pretty well liked and respected on the board, maybe you should ask yourself if maybe your negative posts and the fact that you have a small post count might be giving people the false impression that you are simply trying to rile people up. Maybe we are misjudging you because we haven't gotten to know you quite yet. I don't think Dan's main goal in his life is to prey on those who don't like everything U2.

I didn't make any accusations, read the guy's original post, it speaks for itself. His comments had nothing to do with what I had to say. It is funny you mention post count b/c that really is the root of all of this. The people on this board act like since they have thousands of post counts on here, they own this public forum and can control what other people want to talk about or how other people should think. Also, no one with 34 posts could possibly know anything about U2 right? (gasp)

I am a huge U2 fan, most of my friends call me psychotic about the band. I don't post on here much b/c of the sheer arrogance that oozes from alot of the posters. I have never seen such a close-minded group of fans regarding the very same thing they all like. Penn State fans aren't like this about their football team, either are Steelers' fans. No wonder so many casual people can't stand U2, they probably get raked over the coals by half the members on this board on a day-to-day basis.

Bottom line, I should be allowed to be unhappy with something U2 produces and discuss it with other fans who feel the same way, or question or debate with other fans why they feel differently.

Lastly, too many people on here are the thought police, including some of the admins. The whole, "this topic was remotely discussed, you can't discuss it again." Or - "Why are you discussing this, this is not relevant, why isn't this thread closed yet, etc." I've read many people's comments on atu2.com that echo the same sentiment. This forum is awesome as far as the U2 fandom that is on it. I just wish that people weren't so anal about discussion, it really destroys any chance of really connecting with U2 fans when you really can't do it at work or day-to-day with busy lives.

It probably was me, because the cap seems to fit you pretty well.

I wouldn't exactly describe my behaviour as stalking given the 1000's of positive things I have said on a board FOR U2 FANS. Stalkers are generally those who lurk silently, only cropping up to post negative shit for a bit of a rant, say 47 times in 4 and a half years?

I don't care what anyone has to say that is constructively negative. But this is schoolyard shit. Awww Bobo said it was long...... cry fucking cry.

It is long, its juts not uber-headfuck70minutesmostofwhichisfillerstupidlong. If you guys dont think 53 minutes is a long album these days, you've got no fucking idea.

So yeah, I dont think my comment was out of line given the amount of overly-negative, bitchy for the sake of being bitchy shit that is being flung from pillar-to-post on this forum.

If you want to be constructive, there are ways to go about it. Starting a stupid thread about "Bobo lied to us, fuck him" on a U2 message board is designed to get backlash.

You guys should start a mutual masturbation thread in another forum and talk about the good-old-days in private :wave:

Again, your post speaks for itself. Compared to what you spewed forth 2 weeks ago at me, this makes it clear:

hypocrite - a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings.

Again, your post speaks for itself. Compared to what you spewed forth 2 weeks ago at me, this makes it clear:

hypocrite - a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings.

Except for the part where dan is right.
:|

I didn't make any accusations, read the guy's original post, it speaks for itself. His comments had nothing to do with what I had to say. It is funny you mention post count b/c that really is the root of all of this. The people on this board act like since they have thousands of post counts on here, they own this public forum and can control what other people want to talk about or how other people should think. Also, no one with 34 posts could possibly know anything about U2 right? (gasp)

I am a huge U2 fan, most of my friends call me psychotic about the band. I don't post on here much b/c of the sheer arrogance that oozes from alot of the posters. I have never seen such a close-minded group of fans regarding the very same thing they all like. Penn State fans aren't like this about their football team, either are Steelers' fans. No wonder so many casual people can't stand U2, they probably get raked over the coals by half the members on this board on a day-to-day basis.

Bottom line, I should be allowed to be unhappy with something U2 produces and discuss it with other fans who feel the same way, or question or debate with other fans why they feel differently.

Lastly, too many people on here are the thought police, including some of the admins. The whole, "this topic was remotely discussed, you can't discuss it again." Or - "Why are you discussing this, this is not relevant, why isn't this thread closed yet, etc." I've read many people's comments on atu2.com that echo the same sentiment. This forum is awesome as far as the U2 fandom that is on it. I just wish that people weren't so anal about discussion, it really destroys any chance of really connecting with U2 fans when you really can't do it at work or day-to-day with busy lives.

Why so frustrated? Its just an internet forum. We're not fighting to save the rain forest or anything. :wink:

I wasn't putting you down for your post count...I was merely commenting on the fact that its kind of hard to get to know someone, their general opinions on things, and their writing style with only 47 posts. Know what I mean? Believe it or not, the more posts people write the more you kind of get to know what they're about and it kind of prevents those knee jerk reactions or snide over reactive responses, or just plain misconstruing of their comments.

That's all I was saying.

I'm sorry but this is downright hilarious...

First of all it was an off the cuff remark during the process, so things will change, anyone knows this... At the time it was long, it still is compared to most albums being released today. The three albums I listened to today were all under 42 minutes.

Secondly your blubbering about time and 40 songs, blah, blah, blah...

Regardless if it took 4 years or 10 years and 40 or 100 songs it was almost a guarantee we were still going to get a 10-12 song album. That's life.

And get your facts straight it's a 52+ minute 11 track album...+bonus material...

Back
Top Bottom