Why did Bono lie about this being a long album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You just know that if Bono does indeed ever read in here, he probably reads us defending his “punk rock from Venus” comment, saying it was during a different stage of recording, that it wasn’t relating to the album they actually released etc, and is actually cut by that - “Hey? Vertigo man! On fucking fire! What the hell is wrong with these people?”

i think you guys are missing the point; bono lied!

He looked us all individually in the face and said "i bono swear on all things holy that this album will be long - really long like over 75 minutes - trust me, i'm bono."

and we were all "i dunno bono, i mean, you tend to make shit up all the time..."

and he was all "no. Dude. Trust me on this!"

and we were all "well ok then, if you promise"

and then the lying son of a bitch went and lied to us. I can't believe how pissed off i am right now!!!

Omg!!!!!11111!!! :angry: :mad: :angry:

lol

i look back at 2004 as a type of innocent time. People didn't feel self-conscious going crazy on here, it was the first u2 album released during mass use of the internet.
I'll kind of miss people losing the plot this time just in case it makes them look stupid in retrospect...

Being cynical and detached doesn't make one cool IMO...

i look back at 2004 as a type of innocent time. People didn't feel self-conscious going crazy on here, it was the first u2 album released during mass use of the internet.
I'll kind of miss people losing the plot this time just in case it makes them look stupid in retrospect...

ill go bananas just for you :wave:

I agree with others in that early reports stated there would be more than 11 tracks. As a result, one more long track and NLOTH is suddenly pushing 60 minutes.

I am disappointed that there are only 11 songs. For years we heard how U2 have albums of material (some 40-60 tracks) and we only get 11 songs. And while I do enjoy GOYB, based on reaction here and other places, it appears that many are disappointed. So U2 had nothing better than GOYB in all those other 40+ tracks? No other rockers that wouldn't have caused U2 fans to be so divisive? Or perhaps, ignore the rocker and throw out a fantastic ballad or more U2 song. Nothing?

Still, as others stated, if the songs present work, then that's all that matters. And, as I like GOYB, I'm already happy.

Excellent post. This was exactly my thinking as to GOYB. 5 years and 40 songs later, and the best song they could push forth is that 4 minute piece of trash?

I think the original poster's comment is valid. It seems over the last two albums, U2 hypes them up and totally misleads - intentionally or not - everyone into thinking they are producing an album with x,y,z variables, then the album comes out, and you're left scratching your head like what?

Bono always seems to base his hype off of one single track.

So, punk rock on Venus is Vertigo. Really long is Moment of Surrender. This one won't clear the dance floors is GOYB.

So, with any Bono comment, comment-album+onetrack=truth

I don’t think anyone is being deliberately cynical and detached to be cool, or to avoid later embarrassment. If you’re excitement about something is also genuinely matched by nerves, how that is vocalised, or posted in this case, will vary from person to person. Some people are throwing up a wall of cynicism or detachment, but that doesn’t have to be disingenuous. If they felt genuinely disappointed last time around, and feel that the over the top build up led to the fall, a cynical view of pre album hype this time around is really only natural. Just be thankful U2 aren’t self-hyping this one to even 1/100th the degree they did last time, as the pushback here would be absolutely massive.

I’m as excited as all hell. I think that literally the only thing I’ve listened to in a week has been U2 (and *ahem* the new Lily Allen album, great fun). This wait for a leak or the album is killing me. But I’m not engaging in explosive excitement over 30 second clips and a few single listen reviews – despite probably having excitedly read and re-read, listened and re-listened as much as anyone here – not because I’m feeling cynical or detached, certainly not because I’m trying to be cool, but because the feeling is genuinely matched by nerves. Like I said in another thread, it’s like the eve of your team going into a championship game, and because for me, in my opinion, they got smacked so hard last time around, it’s a different feeling this time around. It sounds silly, but I think that’s the truth for a lot of people, and they’re just showing it in different ways.

Hidden Track MOS II (15 minutes) for a final length of just under 70.

Confirmed rumor.

But really, I hope we get a couple of bonus tracks (NLOTH II, EBW, Tripoli (if it isn't Fez)....)

Maybe because when he made that statement, he was unsure himself how long it would be?

True. If you just threw Winter on there it'd be an hour.

It's really beside the point, though. If U2 dropped a song or songs off the record, it was for a reason. There are a lot of people who would prefer to have any extra tracks in any order because they'd mix it up however they wanted anyway. I can understand why these song-oriented, quantity-oriented people are disappointed. I guess I'm surprised they've made it so long as U2 fans, but hey. But for those of us who want an album experience, the type of experience that began with Rubber Soul, Pet Sounds, and Sgt. Pepper's and has had numerous other glorious moments in the last 40 years including The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby: we say, who gives a shit about quantity? To me, the album is the end all be all. Songs are great. But I want a 45 minute ride. Better yet, I want a 45 minute transport into a different world formed by the music. For all you people who want 70+ minute albums, how many of you sit through (doing nothing else but listening) albums of that length on a regular basis? If you just want to listen to 2 or 3 songs here and there, then sure, a long album makes a lot of sense. But that's not what it was intended for. Films weren't intended to be started and stopped and watched out of order, but I guess there are lot of people who like doing that too. But I think it's a pretty faulty approach to art consumption, and obviously the artists who made the things didn't gear them towards that purpose.

Also, I'd much rather have a separate album with a different personality released in the near future, which appears to be a distinct possibility. Much better idea than a ramshackle double album.

I think the real question here is:

what if Bono likes Battlestar Gallactica???

True. If you just threw Winter on there it'd be an hour.
QUOTE]

I guess Winter=White As Snow.

Possibly, but I believe Winter was described as being "lush", while WAS sounds sparse to me. Also, Winter was described a couple times as being 6 minutes. And Winter was specifically mentioned as being cut from the final album. These things don't rule it out, of course, but I'm not convinced they are the same at this point.

I don’t think anyone is being deliberately cynical and detached to be cool, or to avoid later embarrassment. If you’re excitement about something is also genuinely matched by nerves, how that is vocalised, or posted in this case, will vary from person to person. Some people are throwing up a wall of cynicism or detachment, but that doesn’t have to be disingenuous. If they felt genuinely disappointed last time around, and feel that the over the top build up led to the fall, a cynical view of pre album hype this time around is really only natural. Just be thankful U2 aren’t self-hyping this one to even 1/100th the degree they did last time, as the pushback here would be absolutely massive.

I’m as excited as all hell. I think that literally the only thing I’ve listened to in a week has been U2 (and *ahem* the new Lily Allen album, great fun). This wait for a leak or the album is killing me. But I’m not engaging in explosive excitement over 30 second clips and a few single listen reviews – despite probably having excitedly read and re-read, listened and re-listened as much as anyone here – not because I’m feeling cynical or detached, certainly not because I’m trying to be cool, but because the feeling is genuinely matched by nerves. Like I said in another thread, it’s like the eve of your team going into a championship game, and because for me, in my opinion, they got smacked so hard last time around, it’s a different feeling this time around. It sounds silly, but I think that’s the truth for a lot of people, and they’re just showing it in different ways.

Well said. I just have this gut feeling that years from now, this album will be looked on as the album where U2 decided if they wanted to keep 'blowing their own minds' or if they wanted to just release Vertigos for the rest of their career. Waiting to see which path they chose is agonizing. The fact that I'm trying not to listen to the 30 second clips anymore after hearing them a bunch of times makes it that much harder.

Well said. I just have this gut feeling that years from now, this album will be looked on as the album where U2 decided if they wanted to keep 'blowing their own minds' or if they wanted to just release Vertigos and Sometimes's for the rest of their career. Waiting to see which path they chose is agonizing. The fact that I'm trying not to listen to the 30 second clips anymore after hearing them a bunch of times makes it that much harder.

Yeah, I feel that. After listening to the clips, I'm pretty suspicious of Crazy Tonight. It doesn't really seem to fit in with the rest of the album and I really think they could have gotten away without feeling obliged to have a super-syrupy song on this album. If that ends up being my only real gripe, though, then it will definitely stand as a job well done.

Yeah, I feel that. After listening to the clips, I'm pretty suspicious of Crazy Tonight. It doesn't really seem to fit in with the rest of the album and I really think they could have gotten away without feeling obliged to have a super-syrupy song on this album. If that ends up being my only real gripe, though, then it will definitely stand as a job well done.

Would either of you be inclined to agree with the fact that GOYB certainly seems to point towards the Vertigo direction rather than the "blowing their minds" direction?

I think we get HTDAAB II before we get Zooropa or Achtung Baby IMHO.

Both Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy sound that way to me from the clips. Stand Up has been getting some killer reviews though, so my mind is open, but I honestly don’t like whats in that little clip. Crazy Tonight sounds a little cliché/dull, but inoffensive. I suspect (hope) that they’ll be like Get On Your Boots. Without a doubt coming from or taken to a Bomb-esque place, just executed way, way, way, way, way better.

And you’re right, this album says a lot about how they’re going to see out their career – whether there’s 5 or 15 years left it in it. Settle into what would have to be the most easy and comfortable semi-working/retirement imaginable. Knock out a dozen Vertigos and Miracle Drugs every few years without even thinking about it, sell shitloads, tour the globe mostly on the back catalogue, or… keep pushing forward.

I still beg to wait for the complete songs...I think it'll surprise us with several turns in a single track. Get On Your Boots is prolly the most commercial and it has such a different structure.

Would either of you be inclined to agree with the fact that GOYB certainly seems to point towards the Vertigo direction rather than the "blowing their minds" direction?

So it has to be either or? :rolleyes:

Everyone who's reviewed the album pretty much says Boots is one of the weaker tracks, plus NO it doesn't point towards the Vertigo direction... when will people actually start listening to the song?

Well said. I just have this gut feeling that years from now, this album will be looked on as the album where U2 decided if they wanted to keep 'blowing their own minds' or if they wanted to just release Vertigos for the rest of their career. Waiting to see which path they chose is agonizing. The fact that I'm trying not to listen to the 30 second clips anymore after hearing them a bunch of times makes it that much harder.

I'm thinking it's the first path, as almost everyone who's heard NLOTH has said it's crazy experimental and, besides, if they were taking the "safe route", we probably wouldn't have the weirdness that is FEZ - Being Born.

Fingers crossed. :D

:censored:ing little Irish basturd, yes I said bas TURD

Haven't we all learned Bono's Hyperbole leading up to a new album release let's see :hmm:..............

Punk Music from Mars
Best Album we've done (ATYCLB, HTDAAB)
Edge is on fire

People it's JUST Bono-speak means absolutely NOTHING!!!

Oh by the way, Will Bono be okay?

:wink::lol:

OFF TOPIC people.

WHY did Bono lie???? Address this, please.

Ignoring people's mocking answers, this remains a mystery that's as unexplainable as him claiming HTDAAB was "our first guitar record" or that The Edge was "making punk rock on venus" or that his guitar "sounded like a dragon".

I assumed Bono would have some sense of what a "very long" album is with regards to a U2 album's playing time. This means Bono's judgment cannot be trusted when it comes to ANYTHING... except moral/political issues.

Issues of art quality and measurement of time are subject to his hype machine thinking. It's sad, really.

It's just that I'd rather he hadn't said that than get my hopes up.

No, I don't think so. I've been thinking about the album this way, and it's really helped me make sense of what we're looking at.

Songs 1-4
Songs 5-7
Songs 8-11

You have brooding darkness mixed with classic U2 torch-bearing in the first segment. An absolutely lethal combination from the masters of the trade.

I've said this before: the middle part is going to determine whether this album has any chance of reaching the upper echelon of U2 albums. It could be a nice break and change of pace, or it could really sound out of place and be a (thankfully well-placed) album sore.

in the last third you return to the dark, brooding mood but without as much of the torch-bearing. A classic U2 final bit.

Ignoring people's mocking answers, this remains a mystery that's as unexplainable as him claiming HTDAAB was "our first guitar record" or that The Edge was "making punk rock on venus" or that his guitar "sounded like a dragon".

I assumed Bono would have some sense of what a "very long" album is with regards to a U2 album's playing time. This means Bono's judgment cannot be trusted when it comes to ANYTHING... except moral/political issues.

Issues of art quality and measurement of time are subject to his hype machine thinking. It's sad, really.

It's just that I'd rather he hadn't said that than get my hopes up.

Dude, it's Bono. You know Bono right? Bono? Bono? The guy is a walking hyperbole machine. He promotes himself and anything he's doing at every single step of his life. He's like a ball of energy. But if he didn't dream so big, he wouldn't be who he is or where he is. We've all got used to this by now. What's taking you so long?

I have a good idea: why don't you go dig up some old quotes and some old statistics, think up a really provocative (in a tabloid sense) thread title, and start a new thread? That would be really awesome.

The audacity of making a thread about this leads me to conclude that your ego might be nearing Bono's. Seriously.

Excellent post. This was exactly my thinking as to GOYB. 5 years and 40 songs later, and the best song they could push forth is that 4 minute piece of trash?

I think the original poster's comment is valid. It seems over the last two albums, U2 hypes them up and totally misleads - intentionally or not - everyone into thinking they are producing an album with x,y,z variables, then the album comes out, and you're left scratching your head like what?
Thank you!
Maybe because when he made that statement, he was unsure himself how long it would be?
But then he should have said so, but he didn't care to censor himself. He must have known the length by then, though; it wasn't that long ago.

There was even that comment by The Edge, "How long is this album?", which we read into as backing up Bono's comment. What are fans picking up on bits of statements to do?
I wish that were true. That would be so amazing!

Back
Top Bottom