Why did Bono lie about this being a long album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again, your post speaks for itself. Compared to what you spewed forth 2 weeks ago at me, this makes it clear:

hypocrite - a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings.

how do I act in contradiction to my beliefs?

Did you even read my post?

I have a number of people on here I like and respect that have less than 50 posts. I myself had very few posts for a good while for a number of reasons. My point about your post count is that you have a low percentage of posts for the time you have been here, and a very high percentage of overly negative SPEW.

I can't even remember what i said to you two weeks ago, but it must have been good if it stuck with you this long :wave:

most people here have no problem with critisim. You, and a few others who come on here and post the blind, self-obsessed filth (that is recognised by the majority of other posters, yet somehow, you just don't see it), don't seem to get that if you frame things in the correct and civil way, you can have meaningful and friendly discussions here. I, and everyone here who is arguing with you would be more than happy to have a civil, factual discussion re your concerns, but will not sit here and accept garbage about, "why did he lie, my life is over, because the new album isn't 10 minutes longer, boo-fucking-hoo"

I didn't make any accusations, read the guy's original post, it speaks for itself. His comments had nothing to do with what I had to say. It is funny you mention post count b/c that really is the root of all of this. The people on this board act like since they have thousands of post counts on here, they own this PRIVATE forum and can control what other people want to talk about or how other people should think. Also, no one with 34 posts could possibly know anything about U2 right? (gasp)

I corrected your previous post to. This forum is owned by people. It is moderated and administered by volunteers. People blatantly starting fights with negative, inciting comments will be viewed much less favourably than those discussing things logically and reasonably.

They also have no problems banning people, and if they want to moderate speech, they can, because this is no democracy, posting here is a privelege and not a right.

Lastly, too many people on here are the thought police, including some of the admins. The whole, "this topic was remotely discussed, you can't discuss it again." Or - "Why are you discussing this, this is not relevant, why isn't this thread closed yet, etc." I've read many people's comments on atu2.com that echo the same sentiment. This forum is awesome as far as the U2 fandom that is on it. I just wish that people weren't so anal about discussion, it really destroys any chance of really connecting with U2 fans when you really can't do it at work or day-to-day with busy lives.

Yes efficiency sucks...:| It's not that hard to stay on topic or keep all relevant discussions to one thread...

I dare you to find a topic that someone said, "it's been discussed you can't discuss it again", unless it's a topic that's been proven wrong or is against the rules.

Sorry, but you come off as someone who is just trying to stir up shit...

^ and the atu2 comment is laughable. Their forum is a huge mess. They have about 10 threads for each topic of conversation. And much rather be disappointed once in a while at having a thread closed, than try to carry out 10 conversations at once on the same topic! :lol:

Lastly, too many people on here are the thought police, including some of the admins. The whole, "this topic was remotely discussed, you can't discuss it again." Or - "Why are you discussing this, this is not relevant, why isn't this thread closed yet, etc." I've read many people's comments on atu2.com that echo the same sentiment. This forum is awesome as far as the U2 fandom that is on it. I just wish that people weren't so anal about discussion, it really destroys any chance of really connecting with U2 fans when you really can't do it at work or day-to-day with busy lives.

So its now time to 'bash the admins' as well as bash other members? It's called organization. Personally I think this forum is way more organized than atu2. Especially for a forum of this size and magnitude. I can argue that with you all day. I personally don't think having 12 separate topics on the same subject is very productive at all. You just end up confused and repeating yourself 12 times. Everything that is anything pertaining to the album is and has been allowed to be discussed here.

So its now time to 'bash the admins' as well as bash other members? It's called organization. Personally I think this forum is way more organized than atu2. Especially for a forum of this size and magnitude. I can argue that with you all day. I personally don't think having 12 separate topics on the same subject is very productive at all. You just end up confused and repeating yourself 12 times. Everything that is anything pertaining to the album is and has been allowed to be discussed here.

:up:

Bashing the admins is dumb.

a) it makes you look stupid because you have no concept of what it takes to run a site like this. The daily hours that go in, for no money, and definately no thanks from the likes of the whingers.

b) Is a sure-fire way to 'number your days' round these here parts

I think you're doing a great job keeping this place organized, especially during new album time, I do not envy your position...

I'm sure the next few months will be hell, have a drink on me... :cocktail:

1. I highly disagree that GOYB is a weaker track. No way do they take a 5 year hiatus, write 40 songs, then say, gee, let's give the world the most sub-par of what we have written. Funny how the song most of you were going nuts over and bashing people like me for having an independent opinion is now simply a "weak" track.

2. YES, the song does point to Vertigo - a one-dimensional song lead by a simple, repetitive guitar riff, Bono talking instead of singing like he's out of breath, short, very commercial, self-conscious sounding. If the rest of the album is like GOYB, I guarantee you're gonna get HTDAAB II and nothing mind-shattering like all of you claimed GOYB symbolized.

your screen name is "walk on."

So its now time to 'bash the admins' as well as bash other members? It's called organization. Personally I this forum is way more organized than atu2. Especially for a forum of this size and magnitude. I can argue that with you all day. I personally don't think having 12 separate topics on the same subject is very productive at all. You just end up confused and repeating yourself 12 times. Everything that is anything pertaining to the album is and has been allowed to be discussed here.

1. I am not bashing other members. A member posted a comment in this thread that was totally unwarranted and I pointed that out. I especially pointed it out when said member was the one who kindly introduced me to this site two weeks ago by telling me that I had to respect other members and not voice my opinion if it happens to differ with what someone else thinks. You can see the hypocrisy in his comments.

2. I stand by my comments that many members on here have a holier-than-thou attitude b/c they have more posts. I've followed this site/and/or the former site since before ATYCLB but never posted b/c people here are so controlling and arrogant. The funny thing is, the minute someone like me gives them the same rudeness that they give to me, I'm the one that has a problem. I definitely think people who have more posts next to their name are allowed to act in a disrespectful manner on here without being called on it. There is a double standard.

3. My post about the admins concerns the fact that I have seen people post stuff that is something that some people start to discuss and it gets shut down b/c one of the admins feels the post/thread they started is more relevant. It's like a pride thing to shut people up or lock their posts. I also see some new fan come on here, who tries to post news which just came out but someone may have mentioned it already on page 3 of some other thread and he immediately gets this:

Mem: Geez, why do people come on here and post this crap? Someone tell an admin.

Mem: The sky is blue too.

Mem: Someone tell this person how to post

Admin: Please READ ALL THREADS BEFORE YOU POST, this topic was discussed, I'm closing this thread.

My point is, what's with all the hostility?

For sanity's sake, I've skipped the last 4 pages of posts, and most of the ones leading up to it :crack:

I can't even believe you take yourself seriously...

Are you oblivious to the fact that things change?

Q F T :up:

Take this seriously then...

i cant believe this thread is in page 15.

They wrote some music. We will listen to said music.

We get 53 minutes of it. Thats better than 0 minutes of it. Bono said it is long, and by modern convention for album lengths, and song lengths, the album is huge.

How this got to 15 pages baffles me.

If you are seriously complaining that we only get 53 minutes i feel REALLY sorry for you, because your life must be so hollow and empty to have absolutely nothing else in it.

Grow. The. Fuck. Up :wave:

Q F T again :up:

your screen name is "walk on."

Yeah, it is walk on. I enjoy ATYCLB for the music that it is. However, it clearly is not U2's best stuff. In fact, I wouldn't even call it an album. I'd call it a collection of singles.

Seriously, when's the last time U2 did something like An cat dubh/Into the heart? I feel like they stopped making albums for album's sake at POP.

1. I am not bashing other members. A member posted a comment in this thread that was totally unwarranted and I pointed that out. I especially pointed it out when said member was the one who kindly introduced me to this site two weeks ago by telling me that I had to respect other members and not voice my opinion if it happens to differ with what someone else thinks. You can see the hypocrisy in his comments.

2. I stand by my comments that many members on here have a holier-than-thou attitude b/c they have more posts. I've followed this site/and/or the former site since before ATYCLB but never posted b/c people here are so controlling and arrogant. The funny thing is, the minute someone like me gives them the same rudeness that they give to me, I'm the one that has a problem. I definitely think people who have more posts next to their name are allowed to act in a disrespectful manner on here without being called on it. There is a double standard.

3. My post about the admins concerns the fact that I have seen people post stuff that is something that some people start to discuss and it gets shut down b/c one of the admins feels the post/thread they started is more relevant. It's like a pride thing to shut people up or lock their posts. I also see some new fan come on here, who tries to post news which just came out but someone may have mentioned it already on page 3 of some other thread and he immediately gets this:

Mem: Geez, why do people come on here and post this crap? Someone tell an admin.

Mem: The sky is blue too.

Mem: Someone tell this person how to post

Admin: Please READ ALL THREADS BEFORE YOU POST, this topic was discussed, I'm closing this thread.

My point is, what's with all the hostility?

You just don;t understand. herein lies our problem.

Please, read this very slowly.

It. Isn't. What. You. Say. It's. How. You. Say. It.

A few weeks ago when you posted a factual diatribe about how GOYB was shit and "it has no melody" and I pointed out that, factually that was a ludicrous thing to say, because speaking in a monotone voice in the same metre is still a melody.

When I "introduced" (see the HYPOCRICY, given he joined in 04) you to the site I told you not to frame you opinions as fact, not that you cant have an opinion. You are casually ignoring everything I am saying with regards to your right to have an opinion, but not to force it on people as fact. Its like talking to a fucking 2 year-old.

for me, i find U2's songcraft part of their appeal. one of the reasons why i enjoy the last two albums so much is because they're so effortless in places, so smooth, so like clockwork. it is possible to appreciate craft as much as content. and that's one of the reasons why "crazy tonight" is one of the songs i'm most excited for. it sounds like it's going to be a flawless, superlatively enjoyable feel-good song. and that's fine too.

think about the fact that John Lennon thought that the best song the Beatles ever wrote was "Help."

for me, i find U2's songcraft part of their appeal. one of the reasons why i enjoy the last two albums so much is because they're so effortless in places, so smooth, so like clockwork. it is possible to appreciate craft as much as content. and that's one of the reasons why "crazy tonight" is one of the songs i'm most excited for. it sounds like it's going to be a flawless, superlatively enjoyable feel-good song. and that's fine too.

think about the fact that John Lennon thought that the best song the Beatles ever wrote was "Help."

Help :up:

Yeah, it is walk on. I enjoy ATYCLB for the music that it is. However, it clearly is not U2's best stuff. In fact, I wouldn't even call it an album. I'd call it a collection of singles.

Seriously, when's the last time U2 did something like An cat dubh/Into the heart? I feel like they stopped making albums for album's sake at POP.

perhaps you should stop for a moment and try to understand what it is that U2 are trying to do, and what it is that interests them at the moment.

and then stop and wonder why they played that exact segue from the Boy album on nearly every show on the first leg of the Vertigo tour.

it's clear to me that Bomb is in direct conversation with Boy.

Walkon.... Here is where i think we break down, and I have stated this countless times, but it doesn't sink in, so here goes in the plainest of english:

I/we have NO problem with you being disappointed in the length of this album. You can discuss the fact that you wanted it to be longer.

The problem arises when threads get started using emotive language like 'lied', and the post turns into a bitch-fest about how the fans were screwed over.

3. My post about the admins concerns the fact that I have seen people post stuff that is something that some people start to discuss and it gets shut down b/c one of the admins feels the post/thread they started is more relevant. It's like a pride thing to shut people up or lock their posts.

A pride thing? :huh: Seriously that is pretty ridiculous. Again, its called ORGANIZATION. Why let 4 more topics pop up on the same subject that already has an entire thread dedicated to it?

It's not hostility, if it comes across that way, my apologies. Sometimes it may be frustration because yes, its NOT that difficult to take 5 minutes to read through the thread titles to see if your post fits in an existing topic. I'm sorry you feel this way, but I think the way things are run here are fair and as easy as possible to get the information you are looking for.

You sound a lot like someone else I know. Do you know people?

Alright, this Troll VS. Anti-Troll war is friggin hilarious. Both groups are guilty of the same thing. You both get off on riling up the other side. Case closed.

P.S. Anyone who believes anything that Bono says while they're making an album deserves all the dissapointment they will get.

The only people i can't understand are all the critics who said SUC sounded like Zepellin. What Zepellin song, pray-tell, sounds like that? I'm sure the other 3 and a half minutes we haven't heard is "Whole Lotta Love", right?

The only people i can't understand are all the critics who said SUC sounded like Zepellin. What Zepellin song, pray-tell, sounds like that? I'm sure the other 3 and a half minutes we haven't heard is "Whole Lotta Love", right?

from the descriptions, it said the chorus turned the song upside down or something. and i assume thats part of the chorus. maybe not though. regardless, we've 28 seconds of the song. let's wait to hear the whole thing.

Tell me about it. I am absolutely sick of paying thirty dollars for a new album. I mean they put in two and a half years (along with the publicised criticism that ensues) of their life to record new material but why should I have to give away my hard earned cash for such musical enjoyment for years to come when it is only an hour long.

Life's tough for the average fan - we are all getting screwed over

:wink:

A pride thing? :huh: Seriously that is pretty ridiculous. Again, its called ORGANIZATION. Why let 4 more topics pop up on the same subject that already has an entire thread dedicated to it?

It's not hostility, if it comes across that way, my apologies. Sometimes it may be frustration because yes, its NOT that difficult to take 5 minutes to read through the thread titles to see if your post fits in an existing topic. I'm sorry you feel this way, but I think the way things are run here are fair and as easy as possible to get the information you are looking for.

You sound a lot like someone else I know. Do you know people?

You're a Sicilian, Italian woman. I've probably gotten into a heated debate with you at a bar about something, we screamed at each other, and then we wound up getting drunk and dancing like us Italians do well.

Back
Top Bottom