Why all of the negativity????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People had to actively take steps to actually download the f-ing thing and it wasn't automatic or in some cases that easy.

No you didnt, my wife told me to take this shit off her phone today :) cause it just showed up on there

my mom and dad had it showing up on their apple products without doing anything.

The best story ive heard today was a friend at work who goes to the gym alot was working out with his iphone on shuffle and u2 started playing. He thought his phone had been hacked. Fairplay to him though he didnt skip the track :)

It goes off everyones icloud account after the download offer has ended

No, I had to go to my purchased music and click download. Lots of people must have the auto download setting enabled.

So if they enable automatic downloads to they have a right to complain if something they don't want is downloaded onto their computer etc? That's what I don't get. I know that sounds snarky, but I actually don't know how the auto download thing works.

Does Apple often download things on their devices like apps or games that people don't want?

No you didnt, my wife told me to take this shit off her phone today :) cause it just showed up on there

my mom and dad had it showing up on their apple products without doing anything.

The best story ive heard today was a friend at work who goes to the gym alot was working out with his iphone on shuffle and u2 started playing. He thought his phone had been hacked. Fairplay to him though he didnt skip the track :)

It goes off everyones icloud account after the download offer has ended

Well, I think the thing is a lot of people aren't making the distinction of being "on their phone" and being on their cloud.

It is going to be in the cloud and then is streamed if you click on it. You would have to click the little download button to actually put it on your phone.

I also had to go and physically hit the FREE button on U2's page to get it to download to my iTunes on my PC.

Can I complain that in the amazon prime music they are showing me country albums (I really really don't like country music).... They are free to listen and download too

So if they enable automatic downloads to they have a right to complain if something they don't want is downloaded onto their computer etc?

It's only relating to items you've purchased on iTunes. If you have it switched off (default) once you have bought something you get an icon in your Purchased tab telling you that you can download it to your device when you are good and ready. Switched on, obviously everything you purchase just downloads straight away. Various reasons why people would prefer that on or off, but for those with it on, obviously they wouldn't be expecting unsolicited stuff downloading. And no, Apple in general do not do that - download stuff without your permission - you normally have to opt in for everything, or set other settings to automatic (e.g. for updates to apps etc).

Can I complain that in the amazon prime music they are showing me country albums (I really really don't like country music).... They are free to listen and download too

you know it's not the same, that something appearing on your phone, people are annoyed, are they exaggerating? yes but who cares, like someone said some posts back, it depends on which side of the fence you are

If your icloud opition is turned on then it will show up on your phone.

To keep the album you have to download it. If you dont download it,it will go off your icloud storage when the free offer runs out

Its got nothing to do with downloading it,its on everyones icloud

You get 5gb of icloud storage so people have been moaning cause the u2 album is taking up their own storage space

I think thats right anyway.

It's only relating to items you've purchased on iTunes. If you have it switched off (default) once you have bought something you get an icon in your Purchased tab telling you that you can download it to your device when you are good and ready. Switched on, obviously everything you purchase just downloads straight away. Various reasons why people would prefer that on or off, but for those with it on, obviously they wouldn't be expecting unsolicited stuff downloading. And no, Apple in general do not do that - download stuff without your permission - you normally have to opt in for everything, or set other settings to automatic (e.g. for updates to apps etc).

Thanks for the very clear explanation. I can see why people are annoyed, but it's really not that bad, is it? It's not like their text messages are being monitored or anything. Oh wait....

you know it's not the same, that something appearing on your phone, people are annoyed, are they exaggerating? yes but who cares, like someone said some posts back, it depends on which side of the fence you are

That's true :wink:, but I wanna be hip and complain about something :angry:

If your icloud opition is turned on then it will show up on your phone.

To keep the album you have to download it. If you dont download it,it will go off your icloud storage when the free offer runs out

Its got nothing to do with downloading it,its on everyones icloud

You get 5gb of icloud storage so people have been moaning cause the u2 album is taking up their own storage space

I think thats right anyway.

Thank you too.

So it's been put in people's storage? I can see that being annoying too, it's a bit of an invasion. But it'll be gone in a month, and it's only 98 mb, so it's only 0.2 percent of their storage.

I liken this whole kerfuffle to the outrage over second hand smoke outdoors. People claim it's for health reasons, but it's really because of the bad smell. Car exhaust is much more toxic than second hand smoke, yet nobody complains about that because we can't smell it. People are pissed at this privacy violation because, minor as it is, they can see it. But the ongoing surveillance of our digital lives is much more toxic, but we can't see it so we're not outraged. If we could, we'd do something about it, just as we'd limit driving if cars smelled like smokes.

An option to delete the album should have been there from the start. This whole process would have run so much smoothly if this would have been there at the begining.

People shouldnt be forced music on their storage. What if it was justin biebers album on your personal storage space? I wouldnt want that on there, i would want to take it off.

U2 must of known that there was going to be a backlash from people who didnt want it.

If theres half a billion people then the people who want it are going to be in the minority.

If 50 million listen to the album thats still only 10% but thats millions more then what would of brought the album

"A band that gained traction because of its rebelliousness (Sunday Bloody Sunday, anyone?) has three decades later become a signifier for the musical equivalent of corporatised fast food. Those two little characters - U2 - now have about as much integrity for serious music fans as McDonalds' golden arches do for foodies."

Read more: U2 free album verdict is in - an epic fail that could cost dearly

Can't disagree with this.

They wanted the 'biggest release ever' headline - it would look nice framed next to a gold record hanging on a wall above a shelf that has a bunch of Grammy's on it in a wood-panelled record company office in the mid 1980s - and if they didn't want that, they could have just stuck it on iTunes and said it's there and free if you want to go get it.

I think this whole 'forced and enforced into their libraries thing' is a manifestation of pre-meditated hate. Sane voices are questioning Apple's distribution policy as well, haters are projecting as Bono put a gun to Tim Cook's head and said "do it"

I've never seen a backlash like this for any artist. Is it me or are people more outraged by this than Snowdon's revelations last year?

I think it's just the U2 fan perspective. We actively search for media reports on the band and the album and we come across a lot of negativity in the media. Within the great context of global relevance, I think we can safely say that it isn't such a bit issue. I've met a couple of people in the last days who didn't even know this has happened. And some have only read one article about it but haven't heard anything else. I guess it depends what you're interested in. Most people just aren't into that whole sensationalist and melodramatic stuff, they are more interested in real world affairs.

I've never seen a backlash like this for any artist.

I wasn't around but the backlash against early Elvis was massive. The New York Times' critique of his performance on the Ed Sullivan show said it was vulgar and a threat to the nation's youth.

IIRC, Madonna, Britney Spears, Kanye, and others have gotten megabacklashed too. Maybe even U2 post-Rattle & Hum -- they were savaged for that in 1988-1989, weren't they?

Anybody else reckons the publicity & backlash would have been handled better had McGuiness been around?

It's unfortunate that such a good album is getting such bad reviews. Media mediates society now a days so not too long till most U2 fans turn their back on it (a trendy thing on Interference), like they generally do to previous releases less than 10 years old.

It just seems bigger than it is, because some of us are monitoring it and posting every bit of info about. Outside of here, I haven't heard a single issue.

Let's all take a deep breath.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

An option to delete the album should have been there from the start. This whole process would have run so much smoothly if this would have been there at the begining.

People shouldnt be forced music on their storage. What if it was justin biebers album on your personal storage space? I wouldnt want that on there, i would want to take it off.

U2 must of known that there was going to be a backlash from people who didnt want it.

If theres half a billion people then the people who want it are going to be in the minority.

If 50 million listen to the album thats still only 10% but thats millions more then what would of brought the album

Nobody was forced to listen. Surely Itunes users are capable of deleting 11 files. If not, ignore it.

If only this much outrage was aimed at all the stuff that goes on our emails/Facebooks/phones etc. behind the scenes.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/15/u2-songs-of-innocence-33-million-itunes/

It just seems bigger than it is, because some of us are monitoring it and posting every bit of info about. Outside of here, I haven't heard a single issue.

Let's all take a deep breath.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's getting talked about a lot in my work world, but that's digital media distribution, so it's obviously on topic, but only a couple of friends have casually mentioned/complained about it. Neither owned up to actually listening to it - bet they at least skimmed it (one is a former fan, who I actually went to Popmart with).

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Int

Anybody else reckons the publicity & backlash would have been handled better had McGuiness been around?

It's unfortunate that such a good album is getting such bad reviews. Media mediates society now a days so not too long till most U2 fans turn their back on it (a trendy thing on Interference), like they generally do to previous releases less than 10 years old.

I cannot believe how bad the reviews are! I was expecting them to be along the lines of "U2's first great album since (insert random record from the 90s or maybe ATYCLB here) and one of their best overall." I thought people would love it!

Maybe the bad reviews and negative press (and twitter piling-on) will make people stay away from the shows, which would be great for non-members of u2.com. I'm dying to see these songs performed live.

Back
Top Bottom