Why all of the negativity????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read readers' comments today to another pathetic article and most of them were like: Come on, get over yourself already. This is a non-issue. I think many if not most people are more intelligent than the media wants us to believe and it's amazing how many comments are currently made against the horrible media reporting, even by those who say they are not U2 fans, don't even like them much or don't really like the new album. The issue is vastly overblown and I think it's safe to say that this is a clear media campaign against the band, but it's starting to get on many people's nerves, even outside the fan community.

Guerillamarketing. All these people talking about U2 that earlier didn't pay any attention to the band. I'm sure this will turn out just fine.

Wasn't Magna Carta preloaded onto new phones?

No, it wasn't.

It was an app that was available for download via the Google Play store or the Samsung App store. It would only work on Samsung phones, but you still had to actually seek it out and download it.

The album became available for download via the app on July 4th of last year.

Neither the app nor the album came preloaded on any mobile device.

It was downloaded approximately 1.2 million times. The only controversy regarding the app had to do with the privacy settings Samsung set on the app, and that the demand at first caused very slow download times.

So even that one wasn't without controversy... but certainly nothing like this.

I do, however, imagine that if the album was automatically pushed to every Galaxy device, the outrage would have been just as big as it is with the U2 album, only from parents and uptight white people, as opposed to kids and hipsters.

I think the are going to be on a lot of "worst of 2014" lists in December.

I love the album, but right now, their legacy is hurting. They need to be good and they need to do it quick.

Sent from

I'm pretty sure now that if the album was not in the "purchased" section a lot of people who don't know U2 would not have downloaded it. It's starting to look like the best option after being away for 6 years. The next album they won't need to do any stunts now that everyone is talking about them.

U2 don't have to change anything just to suit people,they are thick skinned and still well ahead of the game don't change anything boys!!!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I think the are going to be on a lot of "worst of 2014" lists in December.

I love the album, but right now, their legacy is hurting. They need to be good and they need to do it quick.

Sent from

I couldn't disagree more!!! U2's legacy was cemented a long time ago!!! This supposed backlash has nothing to do with the music that this band has put out for their whole career. Of course as a U2 fan, I am biased.

Hurting their legacy? With who???

I couldn't disagree more!!! U2's legacy was cemented a long time ago!!! This supposed backlash has nothing to do with the music that this band has put out for their whole career. Of course as a U2 fan, I am biased.

with the larger narrative that surrounds popular music.

part of the backlash is "they used to be so great, look at what's happened."

I DON'T KNOW, BUT LET'S YELL LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you can't see the point that headache in a suitcase was making earlier, or the claims that bono is a douche, their music simply isn't interesting anymore, etc., then you're not trying to look at it from the other side of the fence.

trust me, as someone who firmly finds himself on said other side of the fence, the "only" reason i listen to u2 is because of what they did for two decades prior to the turn of the century. "only" being a ridiculous word, because those 2 decades were phenomenal. ... TWO DECADES, for fuck sakes. who else can really say that they made world class music for that long? the list is short and sweet.

u2 have every right to do whatever they want, they've earned it to be in that position. but no u2 fan can have any complaints that non-u2 fans are gagging at having music uploaded straight to their device without their consent.

has there been over-embellishment? of course. it's not really a big deal. but the bigger problem is that what if other companies (U2 is a company)pay apple et al to upload content onto devices without the users consent? is that acceptable? i wouldn't like it and it asks uncomfortable questions.

as headache made clear in this thread, all the talk has been about the delivery of the album and not about the music itself. it's probably a good thing too, because i can assure you this album will be forgotten in the next few years much as their previous 2 or 3 albums have been.

I read readers' comments today to another pathetic article and most of them were like: Come on, get over yourself already. This is a non-issue. I think many if not most people are more intelligent than the media wants us to believe and it's amazing how many comments are currently made against the horrible media reporting, even by those who say they are not U2 fans, don't even like them much or don't really like the new album. The issue is vastly overblown and I think it's safe to say that this is a clear media campaign against the band, but it's starting to get on many people's nerves, even outside the fan community.

Okay, we are well into the second week after this album was released.

At this point anyone who is still screaming and crying about it online is perhaps in need of counseling, or that infamous advice to "look in the mirror to see the dumbest person to walk on two legs, and punch yourself in the face. Repeatedly."

Apple addressed this late last week, didn't they? They put out that stupid new "Remove" tool and a help page for people who are too f-ing stupid to know how to use it.

At this point, going on 10 days in, if someone is still bellowing and throwing tantrums about it, then it seems clear they are going beyond just clueless, immature, and whiney into some kind of weird obsessive territory where maybe they need to seek professional help. Seriously.

Clearly they are hurting their legacy with people who don't know how to use their iPhones, even after hand-holding from Apple with tools and a help page.

Their legacy with dumb immature haters is in jeopardy.

Clearly they have to DO SOMETHING or else...

To be fair after then next album and tour it wouldnt suprise me if they did. I do get a feeling this is there last run

If it is the last run I don't think their legacy is hurt. They never made a truly bad record with no good songs on it. What will be interesting is if there will be another band that tries to take the mantle in any serious way after that. When U2 retire there will be a resurgence in their music just like other artists but at some point they have to go.

Doesn't he know it's not Friday?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Everybody's in a negative mood because the media aren't reviewing the record the way they want it to but I'm in a good mood because it's a really good record and I don't like changing my mood based on "authorities" telling me how to feel. I think the lyrics for the The Troubles are apt if you make them about "tastemakers" who want to download their opinions into our brains. :lol:

Negative attention is better that no attention

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

if you can't see the point that headache in a suitcase was making earlier, or the claims that bono is a douche, their music simply isn't interesting anymore, etc., then you're not trying to look at it from the other side of the fence.

trust me, as someone who firmly finds himself on said other side of the fence, the "only" reason i listen to u2 is because of what they did for two decades prior to the turn of the century. "only" being a ridiculous word, because those 2 decades were phenomenal. ... TWO DECADES, for fuck sakes. who else can really say that they made world class music for that long? the list is short and sweet.

u2 have every right to do whatever they want, they've earned it to be in that position. but no u2 fan can have any complaints that non-u2 fans are gagging at having music uploaded straight to their device without their consent.

has there been over-embellishment? of course. it's not really a big deal. but the bigger problem is that what if other companies (U2 is a company)pay apple et al to upload content onto devices without the users consent? is that acceptable? i wouldn't like it and it asks uncomfortable questions.

as headache made clear in this thread, all the talk has been about the delivery of the album and not about the music itself. it's probably a good thing too, because i can assure you this album will be forgotten in the next few years much as their previous 2 or 3 albums have been.

this is the point that a lot of you are missing, it annoyed the hell out of a lot of people for putting something on their phones they didn't asked for, seeing the hate for Coldplay in this place, just imagine had they done that with your phones with Ghost Stories

If it is the last run I don't think their legacy is hurt. They never made a truly bad record with no good songs on it. What will be interesting is if there will be another band that tries to take the mantle in any serious way after that. When U2 retire there will be a resurgence in their music just like other artists but at some point they have to go.

I agree that the end of U2 might be close. But I also agree that they have never made a truly bad album. Have they? Alot of U2 fans don't like their post Pop stage, in which they sort of settled in, went very mainstream to appeal to the masses. Every big band gets accused of this, selling out. Of course these guys are not the same band they were in 1980 when Boy was released. Yes, they are a company, a business that has made millions of dollars. So what? The music is still there.

this is the point that a lot of you are missing, it annoyed the hell out of a lot of people for putting something on their phones they didn't asked for, seeing the hate for Coldplay in this place, just imagine had they done that with your phones with Ghost Stories

I would have listened to it and moved on with my life. I doubt I would have thrown a 10-day Twitter tantrum because it's an international human rights violation.

Then again, I remember buying desktop PCs and laptops ages ago, that came pre-loaded with free songs, videos, and photos in the MyMusic, MyVideos, and MyPictures folders. At that time, no one I know pitched a weeklong hissyfit about it.

I think the latest Coldplay album sucks but I don't hate Coldplay to the point of being angry at free music on my phone. You're right in that many here would be up in arms about it but that's their hypocrisy. Having it free and not in the iCloud will be the way going forward.

But didn't people have to allow automatic downloads for it to be on their phone or computer without consent? And isn't allowing automatic downloads the same as saying that consent isn't required?

I had to download the album. It wasn't on my computer. I had to choose to get it. Am I the only one?

When Lars Ulrich was talking about the criticism before metallica headlined glastonbury he was saying that he was chuffed that there was so much attention on a metal band headlining glastonbury.

He was thrilled that they had so much bad press (and a little good)going into it because " it showed people still had a big opinion on the band whether it be good or bad" no matter what he wanted metallica to draw a response which they did. He said he would rather have people talking about the band then not!

Its the same situation with u2. Would anyone care about this stunt if it wasnt u2,maybe they would abit but nothing like this. Its been 8 days and the news stories are still coming out thick and fast

But didn't people have to allow automatic downloads for it to be on their phone or computer without consent? And isn't allowing automatic downloads the same as saying that consent isn't required?

I had to download the album. It wasn't on my computer. I had to choose to get it. Am I the only one?

I had to download it and it failed the first few times I tired.

I would have listened to it and moved on with my life. I doubt I would have thrown a 10-day Twitter tantrum because it's an international human rights violation.

Then again, I remember buying desktop PCs and laptops ages ago, that came pre-loaded with free songs, videos, and photos in the MyMusic, MyVideos, and MyPictures folders. At that time, no one I know pitched a weeklong hissyfit about it.

yes, you and me and many others, but if there's something people like to do on twitter,fb,blogs is ridicule and throw hate at anything they can.

They are big boys, they'll move on, unfortunately it overshadowed the album in my opinion

No, I had to go to my purchased music and click download. Lots of people must have the auto download setting enabled.

No you aren't. People had to actively take steps to actually download the f-ing thing and it wasn't automatic or in some cases that easy.

I've had multiple phones now that came with all kinds of apps pre-loaded on them, including ones I never use, don't like, and didn't want. I suppose I could spend the rest of my earthly days on Twitter bitching about that.

I downloaded it too. It wasn't automatically in my iTunes Library.

Back
Top Bottom