Why all of the negativity????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why the negativity? Because fuck-tards like this are all over the place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZNd4c0JhlIc

Our world today is full of idiotic, entitles, shits. The fact is that hating U2 and Coldplay is where you get credibility these days. If your a free thinking member in music media today and like what these bands are putting out people may say bad things about you and spread it around the internet and... oh my... thats not good. This video makes me sick to listen to these idiots.

Originally Posted by BoyOnTheHorizon View Post
Are you sure about that? Maybe I am not 100 % accurate. But there is a sense that people just don't spend much time listening to music as they did in the early 90's for example. I mean, really listening, like if almost everyone was an expert. People had really big interest about music; and now maybe the social media took music's place in some extent. Young people spend much of their time using Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Maybe, just maybe, that is one reason that made people care less and less about music. Maybe people give less of their time to music as they did 20 years ago. I don't know...

So the Vinyl resurgence is because.......

So I'll go with this -- the vinyl resurgence is sort of like scrap-booking and cooking trends that have come around as a way to unplug from endless technology a bit and swim upstream... it seems different but accomplishes similar things emotionally... magazines and books have survived too, even though the content can be had online. I think there is actually a name for the broader concept, but I don't know what it is.

And, I have kids 11,11 and 9. Music is a tiny part of their life behind Netflix, XBox and apps and technology -- not into social media yet.

When I was this age, I listened to Kiss on a crappy record player over and over and played outside until my mom got pissed off and I missed dinner.

My 20 something step kids are not into music as much as I was at that age either... social media and video games for them.

In general, I think music does have more competition from other outlets today.

Heres some more negativity to step on your stiletto!

^

maggie-fight.gif

People are unhappy about U2 being forced into their phones and iPods. How dare they???!!! That Bono f***er!!!!111

Meanwhile, people are dying of Ebola elsewhere in the world. And ISIS is beheading journalists in cold blood.

Young people are spending much of their time using various social media outlets, but they are doing so while, yup you guessed it, listening to music. I have a niece and nephew who are 21 and 19 respectively and music is a very major part of their daily lives. Plus, I have two nieces who are 10 and 8 and they listen to music all of the time on their ipods.

This is what I said. People just hear music. They pay attention to the social media. You see what I mean? People used to digest music. Now young people just want some bombastic shit about a dead rapper, or the beautiful face who won last American Idol, or Beyoncé shaking her butt, or Miley Cyrus last scandal.
Beyoncé's sister beating the hell of Jay Z in the elevator, that's news.
U2 releasing their album for 500 million people in the world? That's not interesting for them.
You know why? Because this is interesting stuff to discuss at the internet. To share in the Facebook.
Nowadays, who cares that a legend like Robert Plant is on tour with a great new single? There is no scandal, no bombastic news, just the music. And that's not more interesting that the dinner you had yesterday that you posted at the Instagram.

I wanted to make my views about the apple deal

1-u2 teaming up with apple is great all round i think

2-what artist wouldnt take guranateed money regardless of how many records they sell to sign up to apple? I bet theres not many.

3-Im fed up of hearing that the albums been given away. Apple have paid for the rights to the album.U2 have been paid millions more then they would of if they just did a standard release. Again what artist wouldnt say yes??

4-i have no problem with the album landing in everyones itunes folders.

5- now this is the big mistake u2/apple made. This removal tool should have been there from day one. If people didnt want it, it should have been really easy for the user to delete it. It wasnt easy to delete, users shouldnt have to change their settings to delete an album they didnt want in the first place. The easy option should have been there.This would have stopped this backlash i think.

6 - the albums great

Originally Posted by BoyOnTheHorizon View Post
Are you sure about that? Maybe I am not 100 % accurate. But there is a sense that people just don't spend much time listening to music as they did in the early 90's for example. I mean, really listening, like if almost everyone was an expert. People had really big interest about music; and now maybe the social media took music's place in some extent. Young people spend much of their time using Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Maybe, just maybe, that is one reason that made people care less and less about music. Maybe people give less of their time to music as they did 20 years ago. I don't know...

So I'll go with this -- the vinyl resurgence is sort of like scrap-booking and cooking trends that have come around as a way to unplug from endless technology a bit and swim upstream... it seems different but accomplishes similar things emotionally... magazines and books have survived too, even though the content can be had online. I think there is actually a name for the broader concept, but I don't know what it is.

And, I have kids 11,11 and 9. Music is a tiny part of their life behind Netflix, XBox and apps and technology -- not into social media yet.

When I was this age, I listened to Kiss on a crappy record player over and over and played outside until my mom got pissed off and I missed dinner.

My 20 something step kids are not into music as much as I was at that age either... social media and video games for them.

In general, I think music does have more competition from other outlets today.

I spend a lot of time in twitter and Instagram, too.

What does that have to do with liking music?

Kids like music today. They like their music. They don't like YOUR music.

Lately U2 fans sound like my mom 25 years ago.

I wanted to make my views about the apple deal

1-u2 teaming up with apple is great all round i think

2-what artist wouldnt take guranateed money regardless of how many records they sell to sign up to apple? I bet theres not many.

3-Im fed up of hearing that the albums been given away. Apple have paid for the rights to the album.U2 have been paid millions more then they would of if they just did a standard release. Again what artist wouldnt say yes??

4-i have no problem with the album landing in everyones itunes folders.

5- now this is the big mistake u2/apple made. This removal tool should have been there from day one. If people didnt want it, it should have been really easy for the user to delete it. It wasnt easy to delete, users shouldnt have to change their settings to delete an album they didnt want in the first place. The easy option should have been there.This would have stopped this backlash i think.

6 - the albums great

The removal tool is stupid.

The album should have been free, but not pushed. You should have needed to want the album, even for free. They could have advertised the crap out of it in emails and on iTunes and through other various iOS ads and gotten the same level of success.

The delivery method has now taken the attention away from the album its self. Nobody's discussing the music. This can't be what U2 wanted. That part of the conversation could have been avoided. The positive aspects (the music, FREE) are being overlooked.

Yes, people would have made snarky comments regardless, but it wouldn't have been THIS heavy. The delivery method outweighs the product, and that can't be a good thing.

The removal tool is stupid.

The album should have been free, but not pushed. You should have needed to want the album, even for free. They could have advertised the crap out of it in emails and on iTunes and through other various iOS ads and gotten the same level of success.

The delivery method has now taken the attention away from the album its self. Nobody's discussing the music. This can't be what U2 wanted. That part of the conversation could have been avoided. The positive aspects (the music, FREE) are being overlooked.

Yes, people would have made snarky comments regardless, but it wouldn't have been THIS heavy. The delivery method outweighs the product, and that can't be a good thing.

Agreed. Why the heck did they have to push the album into everyone's iTunes?? It should have been available for free IF people wanted it. But knowing the global hate for Bono, maybe there was a fear that few would've wanted it! :lol:

People are suggesting that if any band had done this there would still be some sort of a backlash? perhaps but it maybe depends on the 'sell' and presentation aspect. Say they had they used the phone/watch launch just to announce that the album in on the U2 iTunes page and if you want it go get it, then I think there'd be little if any of this ridiculous bs, but a little subtlety can go along way - just for once.

Trent Reznor never got much if any crap for The Slip, Ghosts sampler and How To Destroy Angels free releases.

The thought process would have been "meh, I don't like U2, apparently because South Park brainwashed me, even though that's a stupid argument that belittles my intelligence, but hey... what the hell, it's free, that one song is kinda catchy, let me give it a shot"... Click

Instead of...

"ugh, why the hell is this on my phone without me asking for it? Let me delete it before I give it a chance. Then I can go back to a carefree life of twitter and Instagram without worrying about this whole music thing, as I do not listen to music, as old people's music is the ONLY music."

Or something like that, I may be slightly off on the exact details.

People are suggesting that if any band had done this there would still be some sort of a backlash? perhaps but it maybe depends on the 'sell' and presentation aspect. Say they had they used the phone/watch launch just to announce that the album in on the U2 iTunes page and if you want it go get it, then I think there'd be little if any of this ridiculous bs, but a little subtlety can go along way - just for once.

Trent Reznor never got much if any crap for The Slip, Ghosts sampler and How To Destroy Angels free releases.

I didn't even know Trent Reznor gave away anything for free...

I still think the publicity is great. The back catalog sales are proof of that. It got beyond the critics to people who don't know who U2 is.

I'm actually eager with anticipation with the further Apple/U2 projects "that will change the way we consume music".

The biggest changes I want to see is options for higher sound quality files and more artwork/lyric sheets.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

There's a tendency to view the internet response (twitter, comments sections) to an event to be a representative sample, but it's not. It's the response of a few narcissistic individuals (mostly dullards) who just want attention. And then there's the pile-on effect. Every few days there's a new story or person that the twatters get in a tizzy about, a new worst person ever to want to crucify, and then they forget about because there's something new. Hopefully U2 don't pay attention to them, or the idiots in the media who gave the albums a shit review when they clearly didn't listen to it. I also hope they don't release Songs of Experience in the same way, because it distracts from the record. To have five years of work ignored because some people equate a free album with rape is tragic, regardless of the quality of the work.

I didn't even know Trent Reznor gave away anything for free...

He also gave away samplers of his two film scores. He had very generous few years. It's funny how many people have given away free music, yet when U2 do it they are ruining the music industry. And I don't seem to recall anyone claiming to be violated by Jay Z when he slapped his album onto a bunch of phones.

Complaining that you were automatically given an album by one of the world's most famous rock bands for free?

Talk about first world problems.

Wow.

I supose if bono was doing the sex drugs and rocknroll gig he would be seen as cool but because he is a born again christian and does alot for charity he is hated. Sad but true

Yup, people hate do-gooders, both on the left and right. On the left, they're never pure enough; there's so much fighting between factions over insignificant details that nothing gets done. The right resents people who try to make the world a better place because success would threaten their view of life as being hard and brutal. How dare someone try to make it less hard??

Bono gets hammered from both sides. I admire him for sticking to his work. It must be difficult. I've been critical of his work with corporations in the past, but if helps people be less poor then who am I to judge the methods? It's not his responsibility to restructure the global economy; he works within it and that's all anyone can be expected to do. You have to know which challenges are worth accepting, and while it may piss off the pure who'd rather yell and be indignant (which has been me, but I'm trying to change), they're more pissed off by Bono getting results that they can't get because they can't work with people.

Again, why the anger????

I understand that maybe they should have not pushed the album onto people's iTunes, but to be outraged is ridiculous!!! It really is unbelievable to me what causes "outrage" these days. 14 years ago when Metallica went after Napster people were "outraged" by the band's greed. They were already rich enough, why freak out over the downloading of their music. Now with this, U2 went into a deal with Apple to give the album away. Outrage? This backlash is pathetic!!!!

He also gave away samplers of his two film scores. He had very generous few years. It's funny how many people have given away free music, yet when U2 do it they are ruining the music industry. And I don't seem to recall anyone claiming to be violated by Jay Z when he slapped his album onto a bunch of phones.

So there's a few things inherently wrong with your comment.

1) Reznor did/does not announce his free things with the pomp and circumstance that U2 have, and is not nearly as big as U2, and thus wouldn't get nearly the attention this has gotten. A band like Radiohead, however, DID get a lot of the same criticisms from industry types, Paul McGuinness included, when they released their album for "free."

2) Magna Carter Holy Grail was released via an app that the user had to search out and download. It was not "slapped" onto anyone's phone. You had to actually go get it.

I imagine that's why Apple and U2 went this route... to be slightly different than what Jay Z did. It seems to have backfired a bit.

I understand that maybe they should have not pushed the album onto people's iTunes, but to be outraged is ridiculous!!! It really is unbelievable to me what causes "outrage" these days. 14 years ago when Metallica went after Napster people were "outraged" by the band's greed. They were already rich enough, why freak out over the downloading of their music. Now with this, U2 went into a deal with Apple to give the album away. Outrage? This backlash is pathetic!!!!

The only outrage seems to be in here.

I'd venture to guess those who were annoyed at first seeing an unwanted U2 album on their phones and tweeted about it probably got over it about a week ago.

So there's a few things inherently wrong with your comment.

1) Reznor did/does not announce his free things with the pomp and circumstance that U2 have, and is not nearly as big as U2, and thus wouldn't get nearly the attention this has gotten. A band like Radiohead, however, DID get a lot of the same criticisms from industry types, Paul McGuinness included, when they released their album for "free."

2) Magna Carter Holy Grail was released via an app that the user had to search out and download. It was not "slapped" onto anyone's phone. You had to actually go get it.

I imagine that's why Apple and U2 went this route... to be slightly different than what Jay Z did. It seems to have backfired a bit.

Wasn't Magna Carta preloaded onto new phones?

And while NIN aren't as big as U2 and didn't get much attention for the free records, they still are one of the most popular rock bands on the planet.

You're right that people were critical of Radiohead, but how seriously can people who fail to notice that Radiohead were just preempting the inevitable leak and making money off it expect to be taken? Same with U2. The album was going to leak, so they gave it away in a huge (sorta crass) way, and got a giant bucket of clams in the process.

I hope they don't do it again, it distracted too much from the album itself.

Hollow Island; said:
I hope they don't do it again, it distracted too much from the album itself.

They still working with Apple for next couple of years so I expect different experiments for SOE.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom