Why all of the negativity????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't see the big deal. The songs are good.

Plus, U2 is probably the most relevant 55 year old rock stars of all time. That's what they wanted right? In the end, U2 wins so be happy.

I agree that you don't have to like U2. There are people that like The Rolling Stones and don't like The Beatles. Does that mean the Beatles suck??? I don't think so!!!

U2 is among the great bands in the history of Rock n Roll, period.

To me U2 surpassed the Stones as the second biggest rock band in history.

It was something like this in my mind:

1 The Beatles
2 The Rolling Stones
3 U2
4 Led Zeppelin
5 Pink Floyd
6 Queen
7 Guns N'roses

But of course a like the Stones much more than the Beatles :wink:

I never understood the "hate them" bit so I asked around a bit when I hear people criticize them. In my un-scientific research it appears to be a mixture of perceiving them to be too soft and lovey-dovey in their cheesy lyrics and them being over-exposed. People just got sick of them being out there.

But I suggest it's two other things at the root:
1. A lack of knowledge of the depth of their catalogue and the wealth of hard-edged and deep stuff they've done, and
2. Hearing their songs so much that the amazing stuff loses potency (WOWY, One, etc.) and people can no longer appreciate it for how good it is. It just fades out as old U2 again.

I guess my #2 is related to "over-exposure."

But I still have trouble seeing why there's such a hate lobby unless it's for non-music reasons.

I completely disagree with the Over exposure theory!!! They hadn't put out an album in over 5 years!!!! I just think that because they have been able to stay around for so long and have evolved multiple times that it has become cool to ridicule them. When they were in the Joshua Tree era, they were ridiculed for being too self important. They got killed for Rattle and Hum for the same thing. In the 90s came Achtung Baby, many fans including me were pissed that they had changed their sound so much!!! It took me months to grow to appreciate that album, now it is one of my favorites. On Zoo TV they were criticized for being too over the top, The flt character, Macphisto etc... When Pop came out and didn't sell as expected they were written off, tat album is unfairly judged. It has some of their greatest songs. Again the tour was over the top. There I agree, Popmart is my least favorite U2 tour. But they kept trying to do different things. Then All That You Can't Leave behind came out and was huge, critics said that the band had pandered and gone soft, the album had been too poppy. That album is more accessible, yes, but that doesn't mean it is a bad album. Same thing for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Then they tried to go with something different on No Line. I didn't love that album, but I respect a band for taking chances. The new album may not be a classic, but it is a solid U2 record. I liked this album right away. This whole backlash because of the way the release was done just shows that people are just so cynical these days. If you don't like the album or the band, delete it!!!!

image.jpg

Don't see the big deal. The songs are good.

Plus, U2 is probably the most relevant 55 year old rock stars of all time. That's what they wanted right? In the end, U2 wins so be happy.

I am really confused about this. Why care so much about relevancy in a era that rock is almost dead? Its almost like being the best typewriter machine in the world today. Pointless. Besides that, U2 are maybe the most accomplished rock band of all time after the Beatles. Here in South America they are huge. People love them. In Argentina I hear they are even bigger than they are here in Brazil. Maybe Bono should realize that is not U2 that is on the verge of irrelevancy, but rock n' roll is.
Actually I believe its even deeper than that. I think popular music is declining on its influence in the western society today. Only acts with huge visual appeal are big today. To me, the big musical artists today are not musicians, they just artists. Something like that. Even in MJ and Madonna era the songs were the central role.
Music as a way of life is in the past. We just don't see young people discussing music anymore. Its just not a big part of their life.

Music as a way of life is in the past. We just don't see young people discussing music anymore. Its just not a big part of their life.

BOTH, you do know there's a fan fiction section, right?

The generations may change, but "music" is going to always be present. There's no way around it.

I am really confused about this. Why care so much about relevancy in a era that rock is almost dead? Its almost like being the best typewriter machine in the world today. Pointless. Besides that, U2 are maybe the most accomplished rock band of all time after the Beatles. Here in South America they are huge. People love them. In Argentina I hear they are even bigger than they are here in Brazil. Maybe Bono should realize that is not U2 that is on the verge of irrelevancy, but rock n' roll is.

I think u2 are a major relevent act in the south american countries/asia/south africa/most of europe.

it just seems to be the english speaking countries were there seemed as uncool and have a fair bit of hate thrown at them. America/oz/uk and ireland.

Am i right in thinking that?

BOTH, you do know there's a fan fiction section, right?

The generations may change, but "music" is going to always be present. There's no way around it.

Are you sure about that? Maybe I am not 100 % accurate. But there is a sense that people just don't spend much time listening to music as they did in the early 90's for example. I mean, really listening, like if almost everyone was an expert. People had really big interest about music; and now maybe the social media took music's place in some extent. Young people spend much of their time using Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Maybe, just maybe, that is one reason that made people care less and less about music. Maybe people give less of their time to music as they did 20 years ago. I don't know...

Are you sure about that? Maybe I am not 100 % accurate. But there is a sense that people just don't spend much time listening to music as they did in the early 90's for example. I mean, really listening, like if almost everyone was an expert. People had really big interest about music; and now maybe the social media took music's place in some extent. Young people spend much of their time using Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Maybe, just maybe, that is one reason that made people care less and less about music. Maybe people give less of their time to music as they did 20 years ago. I don't know...

So the Vinyl resurgence is because.......

Young people are spending much of their time using various social media outlets, but they are doing so while, yup you guessed it, listening to music. I have a niece and nephew who are 21 and 19 respectively and music is a very major part of their daily lives. Plus, I have two nieces who are 10 and 8 and they listen to music all of the time on their ipods.

We just don't see young people discussing music anymore. Its just not a big part of their life.

It's still a big part of their life, but really - how much discussion can be had over 'gettin' turnt up!!111!!' or or yet another barely-clothed chick writhing on the floor and sticking her ass into the camera? (Unless you're a professional college 'bro', in which case, it's your entire life. :rolleyes: )

If there's no substance in the music, there's nothing to discuss. :sigh:

it's definitely not overexposure, it's Bono's image public, simple as that, the whole tax thing, africa, the savior image, the shades, the pics with bush, who cares, people won't change their mind.

U2 are yesterdays men unfortunately.

They could produce an album of 10 stunning types of songs like Beautiful Day and One and people still wouldn't give them any credit.

There is nothing you can do.

Since the South Park spoof of Bono, the average punter who is not a fan; will never come back.

U2 are yesterdays men unfortunately.

They could produce an album of 10 stunning types of songs like Beautiful Day and One and people still wouldn't give them any credit.

There is nothing you can do.

Since the South Park spoof of Bono, the average punter who is not a fan; will never come back.

That's it! It's all South Park's fault. :lol::lol:

It's not South Park's fault that people are assholes. Back in the day, people used to actually send hate mail. Who needs that now? We've got message boards and comment sections to express the hate. People are jealous of U2 because they are immensely popular and successful. If they sucked, the tours wouldn't be breaking records every time out.

Rolling Stones sell out all the time and haven't had a hit for 20 years.

Sure U2 are legends, but they will never be "hip" with the in-crowd again.

I'm shocked at how giving away an album results in negative press. It speaks volumes for our society today. I mean, even if it was a Backstreet Boys or Lady Gaga album or something that was given to me for free in iTunes, I'd give it a listen and not complain.

I'm shocked at how giving away an album results in negative press. It speaks volumes for our society today. I mean, even if it was a Backstreet Boys or Lady Gaga album or something that was given to me for free in iTunes, I'd give it a listen and not complain.

I agree, but I'm not exactly shocked. People are shitheads and have been since the dawn of time. Just ask Adam about Eve or Able about Cain. I'm sure if Gaga "slipped" an album to people, they'd shit on her too.

Back
Top Bottom