Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just need some legit, positive reviews from big name publications and things will change. GOYB already is the critic's top song choice on RollingStone.com. Hopefully, they dig the album. Considering they called ATYCLB U2's "third masterpiece" and called HTDAAB an "excellent album," they should like this one. The funny thing is they've given every U2 album four stars since AB, which received 4.5.

We just need some legit, positive reviews from big name publications and things will change. GOYB already is the critic's top song choice on RollingStone.com. Hopefully, they dig the album. Considering they called ATYCLB U2's "third masterpiece" and called HTDAAB an "excellent album," they should like this one. The funny thing is they've given every U2 album four stars since AB, which received 4.5.

The dangerous thing is that U2 is "due" for a bad/not overly-positive review from RS and others. They've gotten off pretty easily this decade among the big name publications. So NLOTH is going to have to be extra-great for them to give out another glowing review.

After seeing what some publications said about Bomb I can't say I care what they say. I'd like to see a place like Pitchfork give it a good review. Not because I respect their opinion so much (I don't), it's just that they're so hard to please and U2 could only make them happy if they made some significant changes.

NLOTH will get plenty of good reviews regardless of its quality. U2 can do very little wrong in the eyes of the media.

After seeing what some publications said about Bomb I can't say I care what they say. I'd like to see a place like Pitchfork give it a good review. Not because I respect their opinion so much (I don't), it's just that they're so hard to please and U2 could only make them happy if they made some significant changes.

They're not really that hard to please, depending on who you are and whether or not they were the first to discover you and get your band/album "out there". For a band of U2's stature, they are exceptionally hard to please.

The dangerous thing is that U2 is "due" for a bad/not overly-positive review from RS and others. They've gotten off pretty easily this decade among the big name publications. So NLOTH is going to have to be extra-great for them to give out another glowing review.

I disagree with this. I don't think most publications just throw out bad reviews after a string of good ones. I agree they were generous with the last two albums maybe, but I don't think they're "due" for a bad review. I think, with most publications at least, each album is considered on its own. That said, I do think the first reviews are important to set the tone for the general buzz an album gets in the public and among journalists.

I also think Pitchfork is hard to please (Sorry, bram, not picking on you) They, to me at least, seem to give glowing reviews to indie artists they're helping to break, but crap reviews to artists accepted by the mainstream. In general.

I disagree with this. I don't think most publications just throw out bad reviews after a string of good ones. I agree they were generous with the last two albums maybe, but I don't think they're "due" for a bad review. I think, with most publications at least, each album is considered on its own. That said, I do think the first reviews are important to set the tone for the general buzz an album gets in the public and among journalists.

I also think Pitchfork is hard to please (Sorry, bram, not picking on you) They, to me at least, seem to give glowing reviews to indie artists they're helping to break, but crap reviews to artists accepted by the mainstream. In general.

2nd point first: in another thread I said the exact same thing: Pitchfork is hard to please for some and easy to please for others depending on how well known you are and what your label is (or isn't). This is a slight over-simplification, but it works more or less. They are something of a "response" to publications like Q and RS, which are basically the opposite in their approach (being popular first helps).

1st point: I think my language was a little to strong in my post, and in that sense you are right. But at the same time, previous reviews (especially the most recent ones) likely have some impact on new reviews if the earlier reviews are now seen as out of line. I bet there are more than a few publications that squirm looking back at the HTDAAB reviews (HTDAAB lovers, please just let this one lie for now). While maybe that doesn't make them "due" for a poorer, it does put them in a position where they really have to earn this one. Journalists generally don't seem to like it when someone becomes super-popular and they don't feel like they quite deserve it (see: Keane). But who knows, maybe not. Rollingstone probably does better by giving U2 big scores and spreads.

Trouble with some U2 fans is they want this

518658341_ae9427cb3a.jpg

And when they get it, it STILL isn't good enough :doh:

Eh....

I get plenty of sex, eat a well-balanced diet, work out 5 times a week, and have no major bones to pick with anyone in the group "u2".

I really have no bones to pick with anyone here either; I don't know any of you, but would enjoy the chance to meet.
We all apparently have something in common: we like or love u2.

Great.

What's wrong with having dissenting opinion on tunes, tours, mixes, art, Bono's weight......whatever.......
Who gives a shit?

Instead of "Why all the hate" or whatever, it could just as well be "Why all the curling up in a ball with ipod on shouting that everything u2 does is gold"?

:hmm:

I'll admit, ever since the eyeliner and "sexy boots"...I have had quite a pessimistic outlook on NLOTH...

But that kind of changed after listening to the 30 second clips...I need to stop worrying, appericate what they have given me...

And start worrying over things that really matter, LIKE SAT'S

I too don't get it. I'm very optimistic about this album. Actually, I'm avoiding participating on these topics because I was feeling depressed on some negative comments.

to quote the title of this thread....Why?

ignore the people who spew negativity and focus on those who welcome and facilitate positive discussion.

I'll admit, ever since the eyeliner and "sexy boots"...I have had quite a pessimistic outlook on NLOTH...

But that kind of changed after listening to the 30 second clips...I need to stop worrying, appericate what they have given me...

And start worrying over things that really matter, LIKE SAT'S

True that...

thank you for the info. I can sleep well at night again. ;)

Well, maybe you were already "sleeping well at night" which might be part of your attitude problem.

.....if you know what I mean.

:wink:

I know...

It must be my "negative" attitude....

oh wait......I'm not the one who suggested lack of sex etc. in the first place....maybe LemonMelon should heed same advice......

:down:

Trouble with some U2 fans is they want this

518658341_ae9427cb3a.jpg

And when they get it, it STILL isn't good enough :doh:

Ahh, the moon. In moments such as these, I'm reminded of the old Buddhist proverb: "When the finger points at the moon, the foolish man looks at the finger.” According to this reasoning (and to Google), the saying "speaks to the importance of continuing to investigate the weighty issues, to not get bogged down in dissecting the modes of expression, the fine points of rhetoric..."

I'm not negative, I just think that I fall in line with those who still see the 'otherworldly' potential in U2, and know how that potential has been unrealized and dulled by overt calculation over the last little while.

But that kind of changed after listening to the 30 second clips...

Hearing Larry's drumming on Magnificent gives me much hope. :drool:

I have never been negative towards a U2 album, I don't really expect anything, I 'm just so darn excited..I go into it thinking YAY!! new U2..I don't have any expectations for it being the best thing ever..or the worst..I'm just neutral...and so far in the 15 years I have liked U2 they have never disappointed me.

I know...

It must be my "negative" attitude....

oh wait......I'm not the one who suggested lack of sex etc. in the first place....maybe LemonMelon should heed same advice......

:down:

FFS. It was a joke. It's pretty clear that my overarching point was that it's perfectly natural for people to disagree with one another, and that their contrary opinion may occasionally involve negativity on their part.

great proverb :up: thanks!

one of my favorites:

Be the teacher to your heart, don't let your heart be the teacher.

You mean we shouldn't make snap judgements on entire songs based on 30-second clips? Be SERIOUS, PowerSurge.
:wink:

I feel sorry for U2, it's like whenever they do something like the Grammy's they get dissed by both the media and some fans even, and some of it IMO is rightfully so. Critisism is fine but I think some of the blame has to do with U2 themselves. They never had to play the Grammy's this year when no one knows the lyrics of their new song. The sad part is I see a band that is going forward in a great musical sense for the 21st century but the world doesn't want to accept it YET, because they nevet promotioned it enough or right first. I know it sounds weird but I think their management is not doing things right like they used to. I'm talking about McGuiness. There's a thing called over exposure does he not know that?

Back
Top Bottom