Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This constant bitching and moaning and whining about everything is just a result of the internet-democratization phenomenon, that gives to people the possibility of discussing what even doesn't deserve a discussion.

It's not the album that's overproduced (although all of them make confusion of producing with mixing, mastering, with the composition process...), it's the public that over-discuss and over-think the topics 'till exaustion, 'till they have to start to find something new, something they can bitch about, turing it into a big serious thing.

Why do people watch soap-operas and reality shows? There you got the answer.

I'm on other bands' and artists' messageboards as well, but nowhere have I witnessed that level of aggression, bitterness and cynism than on U2 boards. Not only here, but on other forums as well, especially the German one. I don't go there because it's even worse when I read it in my own language. :huh: I was really shocked and frustrated to find out how many people who declare themselves U2 fans are bashing the band, how negative they are and how aggressive in the way they express themselves. For me, that's exactly the opposite of what U2 stand for, that's why I find it really depressing sometimes. U2 is a positive force in my life (and in the life of many other people, too) and I sometimes have difficulties to understand how they can bring out the worst in some people. I'm not talking about obvious haters but about people who actually bother to join a U2 discussion board and declare themselves as fans. I could never imagine spreading so much negativity. my life would be a living hell if I felt that way. I turn to U2 because they are a source of strength and happiness in my life, even though I don't always appreciate everything they do. I wish people would have more respect for each other, especially on a U2 forum.

of course there should be room for both positive and negative comments
but perhaps it wouldn't hurt to remind some people that this is supposed to be a U2 FAN site
one might be excused for expecting that people actually still enjoy what the band releases
it seems a bit rich that people have to apologise for getting excited because of hearing 20 second clips
I would still like to think that we'd expect a positive response to the band's music
but, hey, that's just me

Okay y'all get ready, 'cos I'm about to bust open this myth that people with low expectations won't be disappointed. :hyper:

So I just listened to the clips again twice.

Once, allowing myself to get excited and carried away with the tunes. Key words: optimism, happiness, cooperativeness, faith in U2, etc..

Secondly, forcing myself to expect pure and utter shit from this obviously crumbling and decrepid band that is teh sukz! Key words: cynicism, hatred, gloominess, pessimism, bitchiness, etc..

Hey guys! Guess which one made me enjoy the music more? :hyper:

I'll give you 2 guesses with one hint: it's not the second one.

Now that I have enlightened you, can we all get along and be happy now? :wave:
:applaud:

Some people are negative, and in most cases, those people need to spread their negativity in order to feel good.

It is true that there seems to be a lot of unnecessary hostility on this site (which has all been said before). There are many times that people ask genuine questions about certain albums, tours etc. for which they are torn to shreds for. It seems that praising the band on a U2 forum is a car crash waiting to happen. As is constructive criticism. Although it does show the passion that the band do evoke from their 'fans' which is always a positive thing.

There's the unabashed lover of U2, the anxious fan, the objective yet secretly in love with U2 fan.
I will say that I love Unforgettable Fire after years of indifference, appreciate Joshua Tree for the influence it brought yet am not taking completely aback by it, rate AB highly (especially as a down and out album to listen too), came around to Pop and have it in my top 5 with ATYCLB and HTDAAB with Zooropa a fun Euro-pop sketch. Boy I still havent completely come around, October has its rare moments but I need to give it a few more listens. Title track is emotionally sobering.
War is distinct with its transition from punk rockers to political activists yet doesn't completely have the maturity that would have made it a masterpiece (although its rawness is its best attribute).

Ok so I went through my U2 experience and am safe to say that the uniqueness of every U2 fan is what brings about such diverse opinions and arguments. Combine that with human being and their own emotions, egos and passions and its one great slug fest :drool:

It is true that there seems to be a lot of unnecessary hostility on this site (which has all been said before). There are many times that people ask genuine questions about certain albums, tours etc. for which they are torn to shreds for. It seems that praising the band HUTDAB on a U2 forum is a car crash waiting to happen.
Fixed. :wink:

Although I actually liked HUTDAB. :reject:

I can only speak for myself but some of my negative comments have been for these reasons:

1. I don't like the last 3 studio songs u2 has put out (WITS, Saints, GOYB) or Vertigo. This points to a downward trend imo. I also couldn't stand that they played Vertigo twice each concert last tour.

2. I don't like the "hype" factor they choose to use before each album since POP. They're bringing it on themselves by speaking so much hyperbole. Just put out the records and we will listen and judge for ourselves. As far as I'm concerned, Eno is as boastful as Bono at this point.

3. The adoration the band gets for every little thing they do from some people is irksome; sure, people are free to love something as much as they want and rave all about it. If someone disagrees, they have a right to say so. Until Interference changes the rules and says you can no longer disagree with someone's opinion, what's the problem?
Also, these are the same people whose favorite thing to say after "That was SO awesome" is "Stop being so negative".

Although it does show the passion that the band do evoke from their 'fans' which is always a positive thing.

Well that's certainly true, irrespective of how much people claim to dislike or even hate U2's recent output, the fact that they're on a message board complaining loud and long about it means that they clearly still feel as passionately about them as ever. Its when the band begin to evoke indifference that they should be worried.

One important difference about our message forums versus other bands' boards is that our band spans 30-frikkin-years. U2's style has been all over the place. So, even in the camp of "u2 fans" you get a myriad of different musical tastes. It's not like we're Miley Cyrus fans, and therefore like the one style of music she makes. U2 spans folk, punk, rock, electronica, country, alternative, etc. So naturally we're all going to fight over new stuff because I think we all probably tend towards one of the styles they have used in their long career.

But hey, at least we like a band that can change and alter their style. That says a lot more about their artistry that all these other no-talent ass clowns on the radio today.

I can only speak for myself but some of my negative comments have been for these reasons:

1. I don't like the last 3 studio songs u2 has put out (WITS, Saints, GOYB) or Vertigo. This points to a downward trend imo. I also couldn't stand that they played Vertigo twice each concert last tour.

2. I don't like the "hype" factor they choose to use before each album since POP. They're bringing it on themselves by speaking so much hyperbole. Just put out the records and we will listen and judge for ourselves. As far as I'm concerned, Eno is as boastful as Bono at this point.

3. The adoration the band gets for every little thing they do from some people is irksome; sure, people are free to love something as much as they want and rave all about it. If someone disagrees, they have a right to say so. Until Interference changes the rules and says you can no longer disagree with someone's opinion, what's the problem?
Also, these are the same people whose favorite thing to say after "That was SO awesome" is "Stop being so negative".

1. They didn't play Vertigo twice at each show last tour

2. Much of the overblown hype is created by people on this forum

3. You have the right to ignore people who are sheep. I do.

One important difference about our message forums versus other bands' boards is that our band spans 30-frikkin-years. U2's style has been all over the place. So, even in the camp of "u2 fans" you get a myriad of different musical tastes. It's not like we're Miley Cyrus fans, and therefore like the one style of music she makes. U2 spans folk, punk, rock, electronica, country, alternative, etc. So naturally we're all going to fight over new stuff because I think we all probably tend towards one of the styles they have used in their long career.

But hey, at least we like a band that can change and alter their style. That says a lot more about their artistry that all these other no-talent ass clowns on the radio today.

qft.

the best thing to do is not to even address the negative comments...it would slowly go away. people could express whatever they wanted, just not get any validation for their comments. :up:

I may be wrong, of course, but I sometimes feel that we, U2 fans, want to be "intellectuals", we analyse the music, the lyrics, the performance, but above all we need to say interesting, clever things according to "our level", saying we love U2 being a fan in a U2 fans forum doesn't seem very intelligent, clever or interesting, so we start criticising and sometimes overcriticising them, sometimes we know what we are saying, sometimes we don't, but deep inside we must like what they do because we're still here.

This is not saying that everything U2 do is good, this is saying that not everything we say is real.

Boredom, sexual frustration, dissatisfaction with life in general...

Or maybe it's just natural that people will have opinions that differ from your own. I have no idea. In any case, if you think this is bad, just wait until the album has been out for a while. Then the bitching really begins.

Bravo! :applaud:

I too don't get it. I'm very optimistic about this album. Actually, I'm avoiding participating on these topics because I was feeling depressed on some negative comments.

Honestly, the pre-album-release public panic happens with EVERY U2 album. I've been tracking U2 message boards since the Zooropa days and this always happens. Basically, everyone wants the same thing -- a great album -- and some people start panicking before the thing ever gets released.

Drwho put it best...you can't win for losing with U2 fans...and I think Marien is also right...we U2 fans want to seem like we have a 'deeper' musical thought process...:giggle:

Hey I just want to be able to hum the tune and play some air guitar to a U2 song...and if Bono weaves in a 'message' and it makes me think a little, then that's great too...but I'm not going to get all :crazy: because they can't do both in 'every' song...:doh:

U2 fans want it all...more guitar...guitar that doesn't sound like guitar...experimentation...a less grumpy Larry...and on and on...

I just appreciate the fact that these guys put their heart and soul into the music even after 30 years of being together...:yes:...there are a lot of younger bands that don't do that...:hmm:

For me, I will buy the album, likely love a few songs and like the rest. It's been a while since the band released a song I truly didn't like. There are some I find boring on the last two albums, but I don't hate them.

The disappointment for me will be if the album doesn't live up to the band's hunger for the perfect album it so desires. This is the band that gave us "Achtung, Baby" for Pete's sake. They can do anything. Especially after all these years together and playing live, I think it's fair to say they're one of the few bands who can truly get better. I still believe they have it in them to release in album that just freaks people out because it's so good. I mean, something truly classic/special/inspired/original, etc. I don't think that's unreasonable to think that with these guys. Other bands, yes. So, I think any disappointment/complaining/concern, etc. is just because people aren't getting that feeling from what's been made known so far. Of course, 22-second clips don't do any song justice, and time is the great revealer when it comes to an album's status. Many classic albums were panned and despised at first. We just have to wait and see what we're dealing with.

I still love this band though. They're more than just rock stars to me.

The disappointment for me will be if the album doesn't live up to the band's hunger for the perfect album it so desires.

Then you'll be disappointed.
Not because the album will be bad, no, I really like what I have listened to so far, you'll be disappointed because the perfect album doesn't exist, but it's the quest for it, the sincere quest for it, what makes this band different from any other, they will never get their perfect album (shuuuuh, don't let them know), but they've been so near, is there any reason not to think they can get that close again?

Then you'll be disappointed.
Not because the album will be bad, no, I really like what I have listened to so far, you'll be disappointed because the perfect album doesn't exist, but it's the quest for it, the sincere quest for it, what makes this band different from any other, they will never get their perfect album (shuuuuh, don't let them know), but they've been so near, is there any reason not to think they can get that close again?

I agree with you to some degree. There is no perfect album. However, perfect is subjective, too. "Achtung, Baby," for me at least, is perfect. Maybe perfect is the wrong word. How about we substitute brilliant. Genius. Etc. That's what AB is to me. I want that again — and by that I don't mean it has to be another AB, it just has to get to that level. So yeah, if it's not that, I will be disappointed. I have no problem saying that. That doesn't mean I won't enjoy the album.

I agree with you to some degree. There is no perfect album. However, perfect is subjective, too. "Achtung, Baby," for me at least, is perfect. Maybe perfect is the wrong word. How about we substitute brilliant. Genius. Etc. That's what AB is to me. I want that again — and by that I don't mean it has to be another AB, it just has to get to that level. So yeah, if it's not that, I will be disappointed. I have no problem saying that. That doesn't mean I won't enjoy the album.

OK, now I can understand better what you mean, and I can agree with you to a certain point, I mean, I expect this album to be really good, brilliant, genius or whatever we call it, just because I have the feeling they have gone for it this time, Bono especially, and we know he may not be the best musician in the world, but he's certainly the major creative force in U2, and if the album is not that good for me, I'll feel a bit disappointed.
But I never put too much weight in the words of the people who are creating a piece of art, just because, from my own experience, I know when you're in the process your creation is felt as part of yourself for a long time, and you need some separation to see more or less objectively how it is in reality. So when they say it is great I think they really feel it, if not, they will be pushing back the release date again, but their feeelings aren't objective.

But I never put too much weight in the words of the people who are creating a piece of art, just because, from my own experience, I know when you're in the process your creation is felt as part of yourself for a long time, and you need some separation to see more or less objectively how it is in reality. So when they say it is great I think they really feel it, if not, they will be pushing back the release date again, but their feeelings aren't objective.

A valid point. :up:

I guess what's given me hope for this album has been the string of great reviews/opinions from people who've heard the album so far. We shall see.

I too don't get it. I'm very optimistic about this album. Actually, I'm avoiding participating on these topics because I was feeling depressed on some negative comments.

I hate that people feel like this. I want people to feel welcome and excited, and happy to participate in the discussion during this exciting time. It's a shame some people have to ruin it for others.

I hate that people feel like this. I want people to feel welcome and excited, and happy to participate in the discussion during this exciting time. It's a shame some people have to ruin it for others.

I do find it odd that I almost feel guilty posting positive things. I feel like I'm doing something wrong being all positive and stuff... I guess I need to be a little more bitter and expect the worst.

The new album will be forgotten in two weeks. The single has already bombed. U2 are done. (am I doing it right??)

Back
Top Bottom