Who Is Still Excited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want the next album to be produced by ONE producer, and ONE only. Why does U2 seem to bring in almost a different producer for each song an album. I want the songs stripped down...no more keyboards unless its piano.

402 sounds promising. WITS should be on this next album, too even though its been released already.

Jeffo17 said:
Well Bono said we are just about to make our best music, that is a good sign right??
I am Excited but still a Album is probablly 12 months away so i will be reaally excited then.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! IT'S NOT A GOOD SIGN!

Usually when Bono starts to blabber again about "our best music" I start to worry... There's wasn't much "noise" and "tough talk" by Bono prior to UF, JT, AB and Zooropa and look what everlastig masterpieces they put on the table!

I like the latest 2 albums and there are some (too few!) beautiful pieces of music on it, but it's also the first time U2 is starting too sound more mediocre, "singlehit-sensitive" and "wanting to be loved by everyone" then ever!
They're everywhere... collaborations with everyone (Mary J. Blige) (to fuck up one of they're best songs ever), just to stay in the picture whatever it takes...
And this period is taking too long now for me (and a lot of U2-fans, so to read)!

Apparently when Bono has the feeling that their not (yet) capable of completely putting the listener on the wrong foot, crushing the world with a killer-album with a new, fresh and original sound; he starts hyping their current (or to be released) music!

Until the new material hasn't got the ability to trigger and to completely knock you off your feet by it's own, Bono will blow smoke up it's arse to pump it up and back it up with a lot of "best work ever"-blahblah...

I hope they proof me wrong... but when I hear Edge say: their on the planet of the Bee Gees and The Eagles now, how more mediocre does it get? Both good bands but mediocre a hell!
What will be the inspiration for the second new album after this one? Phil Collins, Dire Straits, Celine Dion and Luther Vandross poured over with some Edge echo delay-sauce for that little extra U2 sound? And a collaboration with Bon Jovi for a cover of Please, Stay or Love Is Blindness? (man, I'm crucifing myself...!!)

Man, I miss the days when they as a band got triggered by bands like Front 242, Young Gods, Prodigy and more of these experimental underground bands... look what albums came out and how it catapulted their inspiration for at least 3 albums with new, deep, exciting, multi-dimansional, ear-triggering, adventurous, and everlasting gems on it one after one!!

When I put on AB, Zooropa, and POP for the first time and going through the songs one after another it was surprise after surprise! Adventure after adventure! I almost OD-ed on adrenaline!
Man, Until The End Of The World for the first time...!!!:drool: :drool:

Who remembers this feeling?

"This is the sound of 4 men chopping down JT." - on AB

"This will not be our best album by a long shot, but it is our best album so far." - on JT

"We want to push rock and roll into the 21st century." - on Pop

"We want to fight the music on the charts, because I do think we're better." + "I don't mean to sound arrogant but I do believe our band has the magic like the Beatles, The Who and Rolling Stones have" - pre War statements.

Yeah, Bono NEVER hyped their albums/music prior 2000.

U2girl said:

"This will not be our best album by a long shot, but it is our best album so far." - on JT

"We want to fight the music on the charts, because I do think we're better." + "I don't mean to sound arrogant but I do believe our band has the magic like the Beatles, The Who and Rolling Stones have" - pre War statements.

great words btw

and onyourkneesboy speaks the truth
$$MDH$$/POP* were so much better
they should erase stinkbomb and allthatu2mustleaveintheirbehinds

WinnieThePoo said:

great words btw

and onyourkneesboy speaks the truth
$$MDH$$/POP* were so much better
they should erase stinkbomb and allthatu2mustleaveintheirbehinds
shame you dont like them, i love the last 2 albums to be honest, and sorry but as much as you would like to, your never going to change my opinion, and i would be more than happy with another album in the same vein as the last 2.

rather than just "experimenting for the sake of it"

i dont think he is trying to change your opinion, just expressing his

eat you alive

KUEFC09U2 said:

rather than just "experimenting for the sake of it"

for the sake of it ?
writing different lyrics ?
making 3d music with different instruments ?
creating art instead of fashion ?
having something beautiful , inspiring and funky to say and to show ???

oh yeah edun clothes , now that's a good deal !!

oh yeah gary glitter cover tune called love, peace or else
now that's an original song

oh boy , oh yes . oh breathe , oh yes !!!!!!

U2girl said:

Yeah, Bono NEVER hyped their albums/music prior 2000.

For all you hype naysayers, you've been thoroughly OWNED. :sexywink:

Yes I am excited for a new album. I know that I will like whats on there because I like U2s music as a whole not just as a part.

U2s music is magical to me and it hasnt lost any of its quality, its just changed in tone, some people may not like it but take it or leave it nobody is forcing anybody to buy it.

doctorwho said:

For me, I'd rather they leave songs like "A Man and a Woman" and "One Step Closer" as b-sides. And as brilliant as songs like "Walk On" and "City..." and "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation" and "All Because of You" are, this sound has been done now - twice. I don't want another album of those types of songs.

Instead, I'd rather see U2 focus on more edgy songs, like "Love and Peace or Else" and "Fast Cars". WITS blends in with the "easy listening/hit song" aspects of the last two albums. It's a fine song and there's nothing wrong with that. But I'm ready for something a bit more edgier (no pun intended).

Why's doctorwho always so right?

Over the past 25 years, i've endured seeing my friends, who started off as huuuge u2 fans, drop off the ride and leave u2 behind, which is a shame.

I'm still excited...u2 keeps showing its potential (this is where i was going to cite "Fast Cars" and "LAPOE"). I really really really do feel that Edge and Larry need to kick it into the next gear.

it was pretty obvious WITS is going to be the sound of the new album.

Everyone can dream of a full out rock u2 album, but that's not going to happen.

People may not like the new u2 material, but it's clear the band does. It's not just Bono, all the members having given quotes about how much they enjoyed their latest stuff.

Even Adam raved that AMAAW was his favorite tune :drool:

I wanted a new sound too, or something different at least. And I think WITS is that. I remember Rubin saying "i would love to produce u2. it was still be u2, but sound a little different". To me WITS does sound a little different, and I'm excited what else Rubin has to offer.

I wanted a new direction as well, and then i heard WITS. I loved it. And even though im basically sure i'm not going to get what i want, i'm still just as exicted

RademR said:
I wanted a new sound too, or something different at least. And I think WITS is that. I remember Rubin saying "i would love to produce u2. it was still be u2, but sound a little different". To me WITS does sound a little different, and I'm excited what else Rubin has to offer.

:up:

For those who wanted more of a 90's U2 feel, Bono brought back the "boomcha"s back in Saints. :sexywink: And there's the reworked Dirty Day-esque riff in 402. :rockon:

Why would you want the next album to sound like the last 2?

Why aren't U2 allowed to experiment? The Unforgettable Fire was an experimental album. The Joshua Tree made use of the rare infinite guitar (the experimenting wasn't only Achtung - POP, people, unless experimentation = synthesizers, which is a pretty narrow point of view).

U2 not being able to experiment is like saying Martin Scorsese should only direct gangster movies.

U2 have always been great when they try new shit.

After two mainstreamy, "80's U2" nostalgic sounding albums, I'm ready for something different.

Oy. Two weeks away from here to see Auckland I, got pumped up & excited to come back here, only to be reminded of how lame some of these discussions are.

Listen, if you haven't liked the last two albums, you're not going to like this next one. Does that mean it's going to sound like ATYCLB and HTDAAB? Only in the fact that it's going to be poppy. Those two albums don't sound the same, and they are "experimental" in that they're a direction the band hadn't been in before, no matter what closed-minded people think (and they don't sound like the 80s, either---ooooh, Edge is using a delay!!). The theme for these latest albums is pop--in the real sense. You may not like the kind of music they've been playing, but this era, this "trilogy" (not that I subscribe to that theory) will be regarded as a great U2 era by many. It will in fact be the favorite era of many, much like the 80s or the 90s are the favorites of many of us. One man's blood is another man's poison.

The theme of this era is "poppiness." Keep your pessimistic, cynical attitudes and say it's all about radioplay or Grammys, etc. Whatever, join the belligerent club. But the real theme, which will probably link ATYCLB and the new album more so than HTDAAB, if we're to believe Edge's recent quotes is melody. Sure, look only superficially and scoff at the BeeGees & Eagles reference; be cool. Or think about what he really said.

If they've really been working on mastering melody, and we have portions of WITS that indicate that direction, then we're in store for a pretty kick-ass piece of work. ATYCLB is melody-heavy on the most part. If the new one reminds you of ATYCLB because of that, go ahead..hate the new album. But if they stay on the course they're promising, you'll miss out on some great melody and some quality music. What made the Beatles great wasn't just that they made some experimental funky shit, it's that they were masters of melody.

Yes, I agree---I'd like to see some bittersweet/darkness in the next one. I'd like to see some edgy rockers. I'd like to see a little more depth in Bono's lyrics (he has had some winners recently, so it's in there). But if the album doesn't contain darkness or irony or rockers, but is still a beautiful album--I'll be full-on ready to appreciate it and enjoy it.

Listen, I just saw them in Auckland on 11/24. There's something special going on with them right now. I saw them for DC I & II last October and I thought those shows were great. But on this leg, there's something more---there's an energy, a clarity present in the band that I didn't see in them in the 3rd leg.

If they keep this energy, if they jump right into recording and don't spend too much time editing and re-recording, we're in for something special. Go in with a shitty attitude or make it sound to you like a segment of U2 you don't like, and I guarantee you won't like the next album. Me? I'm going to wait and see what it is and I'll appreciate it for what it can give me. But yeah, I'm excited. :yes:

I look forward to any new studio album U2 puts out. I think the internet though has killed alot of the "excitement" that went along with it for me. I can remember before AB I would pick up Select magazine and they would have something like the exclusive first review of each song on the album. All I had to go on was the Hansa Sessions. Reading what they wrote and trying to imagine what the sound they were describing was like. Just built the anticipation. This would be several months before it was to be released. I still always got/get my copy of the new album a week or two early. But the build up was still more to me. Thats gone now, clips and full songs are out WAY before the actual album. Then you come in here and see two reactions. People gushing over everything on it or people just flat out ripping it. Just kills the whole vibe to me. I still look forward to it, but the excitement is sort of gone. A new tour, now that I almost always get fired up about that when its been confirmed.

Blue Room said:
I look forward to any new studio album U2 puts out. I think the internet though has killed alot of the "excitement" that went along with it for me. I can remember before AB I would pick up Select magazine and they would have something like the exclusive first review of each song on the album. All I had to go on was the Hansa Sessions. Reading what they wrote and trying to imagine what the sound they were describing was like. Just built the anticipation. This would be several months before it was to be released. I still always got/get my copy of the new album a week or two early. But the build up was still more to me. Thats gone now, clips and full songs are out WAY before the actual album. Then you come in here and see two reactions. People gushing over everything on it or people just flat out ripping it. Just kills the whole vibe to me. I still look forward to it, but the excitement is sort of gone. A new tour, now that I almost always get fired up about that when its been confirmed.

Thats really how I feel. After Achtung Baby, for me, it was wondering what the next album will sound like. Now thats all gone. I don't really wonder what it will sound like anymore. I already kind of know.

I kinda have to know how far along the album is - more band member comments, possible song titles, "punk rock from venus" vibes, etc., etc.,.

i'm really pulling for a jazz record, though... something with some real sex and swagger, oozing dark romantic wonderlust and jagged melodies... bring it on!

I guess I am a bit excited. It's been about 7 years since they decided to change their sound for the 00's..

Utoo said:
Oy. Two weeks away from here to see Auckland I, got pumped up & excited to come back here, only to be reminded of how lame some of these discussions are.

Listen, if you haven't liked the last two albums, you're not going to like this next one. Does that mean it's going to sound like ATYCLB and HTDAAB? Only in the fact that it's going to be poppy. Those two albums don't sound the same, and they are "experimental" in that they're a direction the band hadn't been in before, no matter what closed-minded people think (and they don't sound like the 80s, either---ooooh, Edge is using a delay!!). The theme for these latest albums is pop--in the real sense. You may not like the kind of music they've been playing, but this era, this "trilogy" (not that I subscribe to that theory) will be regarded as a great U2 era by many. It will in fact be the favorite era of many, much like the 80s or the 90s are the favorites of many of us. One man's blood is another man's poison.

The theme of this era is "poppiness." Keep your pessimistic, cynical attitudes and say it's all about radioplay or Grammys, etc. Whatever, join the belligerent club. But the real theme, which will probably link ATYCLB and the new album more so than HTDAAB, if we're to believe Edge's recent quotes is melody. Sure, look only superficially and scoff at the BeeGees & Eagles reference; be cool. Or think about what he really said.

If they've really been working on mastering melody, and we have portions of WITS that indicate that direction, then we're in store for a pretty kick-ass piece of work. ATYCLB is melody-heavy on the most part. If the new one reminds you of ATYCLB because of that, go ahead..hate the new album. But if they stay on the course they're promising, you'll miss out on some great melody and some quality music. What made the Beatles great wasn't just that they made some experimental funky shit, it's that they were masters of melody.

Yes, I agree---I'd like to see some bittersweet/darkness in the next one. I'd like to see some edgy rockers. I'd like to see a little more depth in Bono's lyrics (he has had some winners recently, so it's in there). But if the album doesn't contain darkness or irony or rockers, but is still a beautiful album--I'll be full-on ready to appreciate it and enjoy it.

Listen, I just saw them in Auckland on 11/24. There's something special going on with them right now. I saw them for DC I & II last October and I thought those shows were great. But on this leg, there's something more---there's an energy, a clarity present in the band that I didn't see in them in the 3rd leg.

If they keep this energy, if they jump right into recording and don't spend too much time editing and re-recording, we're in for something special. Go in with a shitty attitude or make it sound to you like a segment of U2 you don't like, and I guarantee you won't like the next album. Me? I'm going to wait and see what it is and I'll appreciate it for what it can give me. But yeah, I'm excited. :yes:

:shocked: Can you read my mind?:wink: That is exactly everything I've been wanting to say, but couldn't put into words. I could not agree more, and this decade musically and personally is my favorite and IMO, the best we've seen yet of U2.

adrball said:
I've loved U2 since the early 80s and only two albums have left me disappointed (Zoo and Pop). It was only respect for their willingness to try new things that prevented them from 'losing' me during that period. It's the reason of respect that I'm INTRIGUED with the new 'melodic' direction.

That's exactly what I was thinking about when I started reading this thread. They almost lost me after they released "Zooropa." I remember rushing out to the record store after school they day after it was released, more excited than anything, only to be completely let down when I got home. (Maybe a month or two later, I learned that the only way I could handle that album was if it was played at an extremely high volume.) It took me a while to learn to accept it. I wasn't so disappointed in "Pop," although I was still pretty disappointed.

While I don't think this particular "era" is better than the 80s/early 90s ("AB"), I can't help but love it. Yes, I love it. Perhaps because the two albums before "ATYCLB" we so disappointing to me.

But am I excited for the next album? Definitley. But not any more excited than I was for any of the other ones. I love when they come out with new material. I get giddy like a 12-year-old who just saw her crush. (No offense to any 12-year-olds with crushes.)

My only wish is that they don't rush to put it together.

Utoo said:

[Cut for brevity]

Aaaand Utoo's back with a bang! :up:

Now I just hope U2 are back with a bang in 2007-8. :wink:

Axver said:

Aaaand Utoo's back with a bang! :up:

Now I just hope U2 are back with a bang in 2007-8. :wink:

:lol: I do what I can!

Very sad to have left N-Zed. I should shoot you a PM :yes:

Re: eat you alive

WinnieThePoo said:

for the sake of it ?

Some good examples of experimenting "for the sake of it" dominated the 90's. Yes, there was also some great music there too, but there were plenty of songs that seemed quite "odd", done as if U2 just wanted to see what they could "get away with". And for a while it worked, but eventually the publicn kind of had enough.

Want examples? Well, everyone's opinions differ, so I will resist. What I think is overly silly or overly experimental, you may justify as brilliant. But there are quite a few songs on "Zooropa", OS1 and "Pop" I would remove. People talk about re-arranging JT, ATYCLB or HTDAAB, but I would focus more on those three albums. One can forgive OS1 as the whole goal was experimentation - but then, that album also provides a great example of this topic. One can't help but wonder if U2 would even be around today had OS1 been released under the U2 name!

I'm not saying, though, that the current work - or 80's work - is brilliant in comparision. The 80's has plenty of weaknesses (like too many songs on JT sounding the same and blending right into each other). And the current work is overy focused on the "hit single" aspect. But just as UF and JT focus on that more "airy, atmospheric" sound, the new work focuses more on trying to create a hit song that will be remembered for decades. I'm not sure how many will remember Justin Timberlake's music, but people certainly will always remember "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" - so in some ways, U2 succeeded. But they also took that aspect too far, IMO.

So I'm hoping they allow some of that airy, atmospheric 80's sound return. I'm hoping they let some of that 90's experimentalism return. And I'm hoping they keep their very melodic sounds of the 00's, while at the same time pushing forward, ala "Fast Cars" and "Love and Peace". Because if U2 can find that type of magical combination, we may truly see a real masterpiece.

Utoo said:

Listen, if you haven't liked the last two albums, you're not going to like this next one. Does that mean it's going to sound like ATYCLB and HTDAAB? Only in the fact that it's going to be poppy. Those two albums don't sound the same, and they are "experimental" in that they're a direction the band hadn't been in before, no matter what closed-minded people think (and they don't sound like the 80s, either---ooooh, Edge is using a delay!!). The theme for these latest albums is pop--in the real sense.

The theme of the last 2 albums was to get the 10 year old kids and Yanks liking U2 with instantly catchy tunes. Hardly a great road to go down if your a serious rock band. I mean the 10 year old kids have got Westlife to sing their poppy tunes for them, haven't they? I envisage the next album for Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam to discard with their instruments and be sat on stools (ala Westlife) warbling some fuc#in love song or maybe a whole album of Cover songs ala nobhead Rod Stewart. Yeah that sounds just the ticket!

rjhbonovox said:

The theme of the last 2 albums was to get the 10 year old kids and Yanks liking U2 with instantly catchy tunes. Hardly a great road to go down if your a serious rock band. I mean the 10 year old kids have got Westlife to sing their poppy tunes for them, haven't they?

That's probably one the worst analysis I've ever seen. Let's see how are we going to get the 10 year old crowd? I know, let's talk about our own mortality, dealing with death, starving nations, God, monogamy, etc... I hear these are really sexy topics for the 10 year olds.:|

lol give me a break....I dont know I think some of the most serious stuff that U2 has put out actually has been on the last two albums considerably more serious then most of the songs from the 90s. Kite, Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own, Walk On, among others. Oh Discotheque is such a serious song....boom cha.

Keep chewing your bubble gum if you wish but I dont think U2 has anything left to prove to you or to anybody about being a "serious rock band". I can see a 10 year old actually listening to quite a few songs of U2s from the 90s compaired to the 2000s era. 80s 90s and 2000s have great music unfortunatly some people just wont be bothered to give it a listen.

Im sure that U2 wrote an album just to piss off Europe and South America....that would be a brilliant business plan. Both of the latest albums have sold millions of copies in those areas of the world so I think you are in the minority not the majority.

By the way I think POP is one of U2s best records but I am not going to be foolish and say that the last 2 albums wearnt just as good if not better as a whole then the POP album. No matter what U2 does from now on it wont be liked by everybody and those loud people will always try to drown out everybody else that says something positive about a new U2 album.

Back
Top Bottom