Which of the two new songs do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know...North Star is considerably better in the lyrical department but it gets more flack. Go figure.

Says Adam

"We've been doing some rehearsing, but mainly we've been doing recording. That was the one thing that Bono was able to do during his recovery, so we've done quite a lot of recording. We've got quite a lot of tunes put away and we're gonna toss a few out into the show and see how they go down. If we could get, I don't know, maybe four songs into the show, it gives us a chance to get to know the songs better. It gives us a chance to evaluate how they play in front of a crowd and then you know if you're really, kind of, communicating. So you can kind of tweak them.

"We're kind of trying to break it up a bit. You know, the idea of doing another big record and going away for a long time doesn't appeal to us. But the idea of putting out tracks in the show and seeing what happens to them, maybe putting out a little EP at some point -- these are all possibilities we're thinking about."

I like that...get that EP out there, then regroup with a new album and (to use it again) dream it all up again.

I just hope he means it doesnt appeal to them for the time being, and not meaning we will never see another big U2 album.

I think he just means they don't want more of the 4+ year breaks in between albums, and perhaps less promotion.

I dunno man.. i just think that glastonbury song stinks the big one. the music, the lyrics... everything. worse than anything off of NLOTH by far. It's like a worse version of SUC... which is the worst song from NLOTH.

I don't like the lyrics from North Star much, but I won't judge the song yet until I hear the full band version of it.

I dunno man.. i just think that glastonbury song stinks the big one. the music, the lyrics... everything. worse than anything off of NLOTH by far. It's like a worse version of SUC... which is the worst song from NLOTH.

I don't like the lyrics from North Star much, but I won't judge the song yet until I hear the full band version of it.

A worse version of SUC? Come on, is that possible?? :wink:

You bashing on SUC? :angry:

*SUC protection squad*
Hey, speaking of SUC, why haven't they played it live yet? Ever since I first heard the album, I've thought "Oh, that's going to be one of those songs that's okay on the album but sounds awesome live." With an extended Edge solo and some epic lighting, it could actually be a standout, IMHO.

I can say I don't think SUC is a very good song, but I kind of like it anyways. Still... it's not good.

Glastonbury just straight out sucks ass though. And North Star isn't very good either. So I guess my answer to the thread is:

Whichever one is shorter.

I'm always amazed to read some comments here and see how I can have totally opposite tastes to other U2 fans like Shart and Ozeeko. That's what is amazing with this band the diversity of the music they can create that leads to so many different opinions. I'm a HUGE fan of Vertigo, GOYB and now Glastonbury. I also think LAPOE and ABOY are amazing songs. Like it or not these songs are the new U2 and the proof that they evolved a lot in the 00s too not by just copying what have been done before but by adding their own style to this kind of songs too. Of course the evolution of U2 in the 00s can also be seen with songs like MOS, UC, WITS or OOTS but this kind of rock songs are probably the biggest contribution of the evolution of the U2 music during this decade. U2 has always been about evolution so as long as this band will try to evolved like they did in the 00s by trying this kind of new sounds they will continue to be faithful to what U2 really is, like it or not. And if people basically don't like this kind of music then what can be said? You can't criticize something objectively if you don't like what it is suppose to be. But there is no law in the universe that says that these kinds of songs can’t be classics and purely amazing and I think that what some of these are truly.

As for Glastonbury so, I think it is a fantastic song, the riff is amazing, sounds old school and very modern at the same time, rock n' roll and still fresh at the same time. The melody is still clear and obvious in this song even if it is a very loud rock song. The solo is brilliant, the verses are very very melodic more pop than rock which creates a very nice contrast with the main riff. That's what is amazing with this 00s rock songs that U2 have created: they have a lot of energy and subtleties at the same time, they are loud while still having great melodies, they sound old-school while still being very modern. It is a huge achievement to have developed this new direction. If you don't understand what make them so interesting too bad for you but I'm really glad they add these kinds of songs to their catalogue. North Star has also a very very nice melody but like Bono says they still need to polish it and then, it could be a nice closer or a good ballad for the second half of the next album.

Stingray guitar>>>>>>>>>>>>>>north star>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> glastonbury.

hopefully north star gets a complete makeover and is unrecognizable to its current version, and glastonbury goes away to never be heard from again.

glastonbury really sucks, especially for U2. I have listened to it a lot of times now, and tried to like but its really bad. Its the type of song that I hate they are even trying to write. really hoping its just a throwaway song that came together very quickly when the wrote it for the festival. i would be really disappointed, and somewhat shocked if it was being planned for any kind of studio release.

i would love to see the stingray intro as an interlude or intro on an EP/ album.

I'm always amazed to read some comments here and see how I can have totally opposite tastes to other U2 fans like Shart and Ozeeko. That's what is amazing with this band the diversity of the music they can create that leads to so many different opinions. I'm a HUGE fan of Vertigo, GOYB and now Glastonbury. I also think LAPOE and ABOY are amazing songs. Like it or not these songs are the new U2 and the proof that they evolved a lot in the 00s too not by just copying what have been done before but by adding their own style to this kind of songs too. Of course the evolution of U2 in the 00s can also be seen with songs like MOS, UC, WITS or OOTS but this kind of rock songs are probably the biggest contribution of the evolution of the U2 music during this decade. U2 has always been about evolution so as long as this band will try to evolved like they did in the 00s by trying this kind of new sounds they will continue to be faithful to what U2 really is, like it or not. And if people basically don't like this kind of music then what can be said? You can't criticize something objectively if you don't like what it is suppose to be. But there is no law in the universe that says that these kinds of songs can’t be classics and purely amazing and I think that what some of these are truly.

As for Glastonbury so, I think it is a fantastic song, the riff is amazing, sounds old school and very modern at the same time, rock n' roll and still fresh at the same time. The melody is still clear and obvious in this song even if it is a very loud rock song. The solo is brilliant, the verses are very very melodic more pop than rock which creates a very nice contrast with the main riff. That's what is amazing with this 00s rock songs that U2 have created: they have a lot of energy and subtleties at the same time, they are loud while still having great melodies, they sound old-school while still being very modern. It is a huge achievement to have developed this new direction. If you don't understand what make them so interesting too bad for you but I'm really glad they add these kinds of songs to their catalogue. North Star has also a very very nice melody but like Bono says they still need to polish it and then, it could be a nice closer or a good ballad for the second half of the next album.

Evolution? :lol:
I'm sorry. And I belong to those that really liked HTDAAB, but if there's something that U2 didn't make after Pop is evolution. Almost all that U2 brought us this last decade, with more or less variations and nuances, thay've made something of the same kind before.
And I kind of liked "Glastonbury", but this song, not only is another Vertigo-Because-Of-Beautiful-Elevation, but it's the perfect crossover between "All Because Of You" and "Beautiful Day". It's not adding anything sonically to what U2 has done before... Unless the studio version will have some touches in its presentation that'll make it sound interesting.

This place seriously is starting to get worse, the very minute U2 do something new the same old people come out and start moaning about it, some ask U2 to make a rock song, so they play glastonbury and it gets ripped apart here by the usual "our opinion is worth more than yours" type of people,

but they you go into the setlist partys and the amount of people who actually DO like the song, lets just say there are quite a few.

This place seriously is starting to get worse, the very minute U2 do something new the same old people come out and start moaning about it, some ask U2 to make a rock song, so they play glastonbury and it gets ripped apart here by the usual "our opinion is worth more than yours" type of people,

but they you go into the setlist partys and the amount of people who actually DO like the song, lets just say there are quite a few.
Sorry but this Glastonbury song really sucks:|
And yeah maybe the majority of the forum can tell if a song is bad or not, even in the stadium the responce it gets is minimal.

Now that I've heard to live two times (frankfurt+hannover) it even gets worse. Also when they play it, more than half the stadium on the seats sits down and just stares ahead until its over (it was like this in Hannover).
Glastonbury just feels so forced, another song in which U2 is trying this forced-style-rock, like in LAPOE and SUC.

Also, Glastonbury just says nothing to me, I can understand a song like New York. a famous city, but this glastonbury is just too local. Maybe only play it when they visit the UK but right now it just sounds empty.

AAAAAAAAAAND it takes up a good song slot! This setlist now feels like there isn't realy a lot of room to change things up ( even IALW now has this spaceship part)and it's just a waste to play a song like glastonbury instead of lets say Bad , I Will Follow, Pride, The Fly....heck...even Bullet.

Evolution? :lol:
I'm sorry. And I belong to those that really liked HTDAAB, but if there's something that U2 didn't make after Pop is evolution. Almost all that U2 brought us this last decade, with more or less variations and nuances, thay've made something of the same kind before.
And I kind of liked "Glastonbury", but this song, not only is another Vertigo-Because-Of-Beautiful-Elevation, but it's the perfect crossover between "All Because Of You" and "Beautiful Day". It's not adding anything sonically to what U2 has done before... Unless the studio version will have some touches in its presentation that'll make it sound interesting.

There is not a single U2 song pre-AYCLB that sound like those kind of rock songs... so that's certainly an evolution and if you're going to argue that there is one then I will be the one to laugh ;). Again with these titles U2 has managed to create rock n' roll songs which sound at the same time old-school and modern and that 's totally different to what they did with R&H for instance (old-school rock songs) and in 90s era. The fact that you only refer to songs that belongs to the 00s shows that you can't compare Glastonbury to an older song so how is that suppose to contradict my point exactly? Some of you seem to not like this new direction fair enough that doesn't change the fact that it is certainly one and again other songs like WITS/OOTS on one hand and MOS/UC on the other represent two other new directions that the band has followed in the last decade.

You know what you need to do? You need to come to a zen-like state of not caring what everyone else thinks, and just like what you like.

You like it? Awesome. Yeah, you want everyone else to like it too, because it's fun when we can all come together over something U2 has done, but in the end it doesn't matter.

*my own zen-like state regarding this is a work in progress. :wink:

^medley, Because that's exactly what I'm talking about: U2 composing a song that sounds too much like the recent past, which in fact, is (in many moments) a recycling of U2's eureka moments (to cite Edge).

And we may even love UC and MOS (I do... a lot!, but...), but for me they can never sound new when I've heard those same soundscapes, riffs, basslines in other U2 songs of the past.

^medley, Because that's exactly what I'm talking about: U2 composing a song that sounds too much like the recent past, which in fact, is (in many moments) a recycling of U2's eureka moments (to cite Edge).

Then you agree that U2 indeed evolved in the 00s by creating this new kind of rock songs? And I don't see the problem of exploiting this new direction because that's what they do and you certainly can't do that with just one or two songs obviously. There were much more copies of I will follow in the 3 first album of the band for example, much much more. There are also a lot of similar songs in the second and third eras. Is that also a huge problem for you? Again It seems that some of you don't like these kind of songs but that doesn't make them objectively bad or not an evolution of what U2 did previously. Also I don't think the quote of Edge that you using was about these kind of songs. It was most certainly about the diversity of the latest albums I think.

Sorry but this Glastonbury song really sucks:|
And yeah maybe the majority of the forum can tell if a song is bad or not, even in the stadium the responce it gets is minimal.

Now that I've heard to live two times (frankfurt+hannover) it even gets worse. Also when they play it, more than half the stadium on the seats sits down and just stares ahead until its over (it was like this in Hannover).
Glastonbury just feels so forced, another song in which U2 is trying this forced-style-rock, like in LAPOE and SUC.

Also, Glastonbury just says nothing to me, I can understand a song like New York. a famous city, but this glastonbury is just too local. Maybe only play it when they visit the UK but right now it just sounds empty.

AAAAAAAAAAND it takes up a good song slot! This setlist now feels like there isn't realy a lot of room to change things up ( even IALW now has this spaceship part)and it's just a waste to play a song like glastonbury instead of lets say Bad , I Will Follow, Pride, The Fly....heck...even Bullet.

You must've been in a different Hannover concert than I was then. The Pit went mad during Glastonbury, everyone tried to sing along and when they didn't know the lyrics we just clapped. The whole floor was active, pity that those in seats were ruining their own mood then.

:lol: Glastonbury too local? That is hillarious. It's the biggest festival in Europe, no fucking way that is local.
Shame you don't like it. A lot of people, me included, did.

Glastonbury is already worn out for me to be honest. As a quick one-off tune it's fun and has some good energy, but no real staying power, IMHO. North Star on the other hand still captures my interest and does have a beautiful melody, so that gets my vote. Bring on a full band and studio version of this one, please.

You must've been in a different Hannover concert than I was then. The Pit went mad during Glastonbury, everyone tried to sing along and when they didn't know the lyrics we just clapped. The whole floor was active, pity that those in seats were ruining their own mood then.
Isn't the pit always going mad:wink:

I liked Glastonbury quite a bit when I heard it in Hannover
enough interesting happening while rocking quite hard at the same time
never going to be a U2 classic but good live song anyway

You know what? I'm usually the type to make fun of a song like Glastonbury, but hey, it's pretty great. An absolutely great chord progression, catchy beat, a lot of nice little details. Lyrics definitely need some work, but overall far less embarrassing than crap like Stand Up Comedy. North Star is decent too. Very pretty, but the backing vocals are all out of sorts, and the lyrics are extremely corny. It has potential. Last is Stingray, which is neither here nor there...pretty much just the band jamming. Fun, I would like it live, but listening to it in my own home is pointless.

Glastonbury - 7.5/10
North Star - 7/10
Stingray - 6/10

Back
Top Bottom