Which of the two new songs do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rocker for me at the moment, but once we hear the slower one given a full band performance, who knows?

They're both depressingly mainstream songs, but I guess I'd say the acoustic one. Damn. I was really hoping the band would test out Songs of Ascent material. I hope these weren't from that potential album!

Both songs are very good indeed. Better than similar songs on NLOTH. For instance, the acoustic sounds better than WAS. And the rocker, better than GOYB & SUC. I think I like the rocker best.

Hopefully someone will read my post! Could we all put our 3 favorite U2 tracks at the bottom of our post, so we get an idea from those not impressed where they're coming from.

3 Favorite U2 tracks:
COBL
UV
NLOTH

They're both depressingly mainstream songs, but I guess I'd say the acoustic one. Damn. I was really hoping the band would test out Songs of Ascent material. I hope these weren't from that potential album!

How could you tell from some cruddy recordings? Do you have some sort of bat-like hearing? Do you? Or maybe you're Batman? Are you Batman? If you are Batman then why aren't you saving the world? Are you a scientist? Batman's a scientist.

I haven't heard either of them yet :reject:

I see you lurking there Vlad :shifty:

Oh shit. :shifty:

I like both but am digging the Glastonbury Rose song more right now.BTW the guitar riff from that song sounds just like one of the riffs on that Here Is What Is Trailer.From the song that begins playing when Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno start talking about the working with U2 process.The song has kind of an arabic phsyc rock vibe to it.

i was leaning towards the acoustic number, but now after i heard the new clip of the Glasto song, i like that one more.

Ok, now I've heard them both and I'm liking the acoustic one more. The Glasto-song has more energy, but the melody in the acoustic is just :drool:. Trying to figure out the chords for it right now, I've figured out both the verse and the chorus (although the chorus might have some minor differences).

Verse: A D C#m D
Chorus: A E F#m C#m D

Now : the fast Glasto song. but I need to hear both versions in a decent quality first to make an actual decision.

Yes, but I think it sounds like a lot of HTDAAB era stuff that did not make the album that many here think would have improved the album greatly.

Some of the ABOY alternates, Are You Gonna Wait Forever, Native Son, etc all had the same kind of rawness that Glastonbury seemingly has.

To answer the question, I can't pick a favorite. From the limited quality recordings, I like both but have to reserve final judgement. I will say that the rocker seemingly has more potential, with its riff and chorus, it catches you immediately. "For Your Love" is great, but from my listening experience, it seems like more of a grower. It is a tough one, though, if there is anything even half interesting with the drums and bass in this song, it could take off just as easily as Glastonbury.

I think both are potential hits but are not cliched 00's U2isms, so I think we have so far avoided the trade off that so many here were insisting existed between hits and quality songs with the U2 of today.

Just some preliminary thoughts, can't emphasize enough that I am by no means making any conclusions here.

Oh, I fully agree with what you're saying, and I do like the Glasto song, my comment was just my quick way of answering the topic's question. But I think we all want them to move towards new sounds instead of redeveloping old ones. Also, the vocal harmonies on For You Love, :drool:.

Hate to be an ass but they both suck. I was expecting greatness. Looks like the worst of my fears is happening...they are slowly winding down and becoming the rolling stones.:angry:

Cant see why your saying that,the glasto one sound like nothing else out there,only heard the other one once,but even that sounds great.

Can't understand why anybody thinks the Glasto song is new territory for U2. It follows the same Vertigo/LAPOE/GOYB/SUC/Blues-For-Beginners/Dad-Rock formula, what with the bland Zeppelinesque riffs and Bono's forced shouts of "rock and roll suicide, sunshine" or whatever the hell he's on about.

At least the acoustic one has got Bono SINGING, using his God-given gift of a voice to actually serve a song well, instead of tunelessly mumbling and shouting rockist crap while sounding like he's more preoccupied with how many stagedives and scaffolding climbs he can throw into a live performance.

Yea, the acoustic may not be groundbreaking or anything, but at least it's got a winning melody! And it's stripped back. No chimes. No cliches. Just guitar and voice. Beautiful.

One more thing, he should NOT have Glastonbury meantioned in the lyrics for that. I mean, come on....LAME!

Can't understand why anybody thinks the Glasto song is new territory for U2. It follows the same Vertigo/LAPOE/GOYB/SUC/Blues-For-Beginners/Dad-Rock formula, what with the bland Zeppelinesque riffs and Bono's forced shouts of "rock and roll suicide, sunshine" or whatever the hell he's on about.
Those songs follow pretty different formulas, say what you will about them, but they don't come from the same Zeppelin blues type of school.

This new song sound more of a combo of the Fez sessions we saw in video and Salome outtakes... to me that's a good thing.

One more thing, he should NOT have Glastonbury meantioned in the lyrics for that. I mean, come on....LAME!

Why is it lame? You do realize it's not just a festival, right?

Those songs follow pretty different formulas, say what you will about them, but they don't come from the same Zeppelin blues type of school.

This new song sound more of a combo of the Fez sessions we saw in video and Salome outtakes... to me that's a good thing.

Why is it lame? You do realize it's not just a festival, right?

I know you're Mr. Technical and all, so I'll just say that it (the Glasto song) sounds right at home with the other songs i mentioned. Meaning, it sounds very Dad-Rock to me. I know you always want everything explained, but I can't explain to you what I mean by Dad-Rock. You either get it or you don't.

And to me it doesn't matter if someone knows the significance of the flowering rose of glastonbury or not (i do know), to me it just sounds (meaning, the way he delivers the word Glastonbury on that line in that place, on that chord, etc.)....lame. It sounds lame.

This is exactly right:up:

Glastonbury has some of those Arabic rhythmic elements that the early Fez sessions had mixed in with the heavy riffs of the Salome outtakes.

U2 is definitely taking good elements from recent influences as well as from earlier influences here.

This part I can relate to...

First you say it's the mentioning of the word, now it's the delivery.

It doesn't have to be coherent as long as you're complaining.

So yes, I can relate to this.

It's both actually. The word Glastonbury sounds odd at that part of the song, and furthermore, yes, the mentioning of it does take away some of its mystery. I feel like the lyrics would be more powerful if Glastonbury wasn't mentioned. Keep the stuff about the rose and all that...I just think that spelling out the main inspiration in a song just kinda deflates its power. UTEOTW wouldn't be as chilling if Bono referred to Jesus and Judas by name. LIB wouldn't be the same if Bono referenced the IRA directly. Same with Please. Mysterious Ways references John The Baptist, but in a very clever way where you wouldn't notice unless you looked closer. I hope this made sense.

As for the music of this song. Maybe it utilizes some of the stuff they soaked up in Fez...but sorry, I just can't get past that Whole Lotta Love riff that Edge plays every chorus. It's like, now we're back in Vertigo/GOYB/SUC cockrock land, and it kills whatever fresh vibe the song might've had.

But on a positive note, the other song sounds great!

I can't wait to actually hear both new songs in good quality. Hopefully the slow song will also be played soon, loved the vocals, and I don't mind the "Glasto" song either, I just think it should have a proper title. Love the rhythm :up:

Hate to be an ass but they both suck. I was expecting greatness. Looks like the worst of my fears is happening...they are slowly winding down and becoming the rolling stones.:angry:

This should be sigged for laughs.

But seriously, how can you tell if the songs are "great" or not by some crappy recordings, how? And how are they becoming the Rolling Stones? Elaborate please or don't bother.

LOL I like how they are becoming the rolling stones after 2 very muffled songs that may not even be part of an album. If anything the new intro song shows how they are not becoming the stones.

LOL I like how they are becoming the rolling stones after 2 very muffled songs that may not even be part of an album. If anything the new intro song shows how they are not becoming the stones.

Exactly:up:

I have my share of complaints about this evident set list, but I will never buy the greatest hits/Stones comparison for one reason: It fits like Yao Ming's shoes on a 4 year old!!

Do The Rolling Stones play 7 new songs per night?

Do they try and make all new releases relevant and really focus on promoting them?

Do they have 3 very successful and 2 smash hit, burn up the chart albums this decade?

If Mick were asked "some people are labeling these tours a nostalgia run, you buy that? You're focused on starting up, getting out some brown sugar and getting some satisfaction while painting a red door black?"

He would answer with "sure, thats what they want to hear."

Bono would answer with "shoot us in the head if we ever get to that artistically stagnant a point in our careers and still charge $450 for tickets."

That does not make the Stones any less of a great band, but it does set them and U2 on opposite poles when it comes to this issue.

I could go on, but you get the idea!

It's both actually. The word Glastonbury sounds odd at that part of the song, and furthermore, yes, the mentioning of it does take away some of its mystery. I feel like the lyrics would be more powerful if Glastonbury wasn't mentioned. Keep the stuff about the rose and all that...I just think that spelling out the main inspiration in a song just kinda deflates its power. UTEOTW wouldn't be as chilling if Bono referred to Jesus and Judas by name. LIB wouldn't be the same if Bono referenced the IRA directly. Same with Please. Mysterious Ways references John The Baptist, but in a very clever way where you wouldn't notice unless you looked closer. I hope this made sense.

As for the music of this song. Maybe it utilizes some of the stuff they soaked up in Fez...but sorry, I just can't get past that Whole Lotta Love riff that Edge plays every chorus. It's like, now we're back in Vertigo/GOYB/SUC cockrock land, and it kills whatever fresh vibe the song might've had.

But on a positive note, the other song sounds great!

I agree with you about uing the word Glastonbury, it doesn't sit right with me, but he least he doesn't say "Glasto" like every pretentious middle class journo at the BBC does, thinking that they're hip with "da yoof"! :wink: But for me that song sounds a lot better in the second recording we got, I actually like the guitar parts and it sounds a lot more interesting than the "dad rock" songs you mentioned, hopefully a studio version will e even better still. I still have hopes for the slower one to improve on vinyl as well. On the whole I'm impressed that we're hearing these new songs.

Back
Top Bottom