Where would you place 'Invisible' if it were to be included on Songs of Innocence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
Where in the tracklisting do you think it would fit best, if you were to include it on the new album?

I'm gonna say either in between The Miracle and Every Breaking Wave or between California and Song for Someone.

In my opinion, the way the album flows from Iris until The Troubles is brilliant and I wouldn't want to screw it up.

I took out California on my tracklist and added Invisible at # 2. Like the album much better. Just don't care for California, and for me Invisible is in the top 3 or 4 songs of the bunch.

I like it at #2, and I think it breaks up perfectly as six songs for Side A and B. Thematically, if fits perfectly too. The first song being about finding your voice because of Joey Ramone, the 2nd song about striking out as a band away from home for the first time.

I wouldn't put it on the album but I would put California a #2 instead of EBW. Like I would switch Elevation with SIAMYCGOO on ATYCLB.

As it's produced now, it really wouldn't fit, the New Order Kraftwerk influence doesn't really exist anywhere else on the album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

After EBW. I've put it there on my phone playlist, and it fits pretty well. Although, I think you could also put it after Sleep Like a Baby. The timbre works better there, but the mood works better after EBW.

I would also put Xanax and Wine at track 2 on Bomb, and would have put Mercy instead of Yahweh and closed with Fast Cars, making for quasi bookends.

Good times :)

I tried track 2, but it really works best as track one. In any case, 1 or 2, it's much better to give the magical #3 place to Every Breaking Wave instead of California.

I don't think it fits on SOI, thematically and certainly not sonically.

Isn't the song supposed to be about U2 arriving in London or some such thing? And isn't SOI supposed to be about growing up in Dublin and their early, formative years? If all that's the case, then it seems to me that Invisible would see to fit more thematically on SOE, perhaps as the first track.

Of course, none of that matters if you're just looking to plug Invisible into SOI and want to know the best place to put it for flow. And I have no idea what SOE, thematically, will actually be about so perhaps Invisible will have no place on that record either. But in any event, it sounds different to me than any other song on SOI record, and I don't think it's a fit. I tried it but it just sticks out, IMO.

Thematically, it fits. I'm still surprised they didn't include it. When Bono first started talking about the concept of the album months ago during the time Invisible was released, I was almost sure that the song was part of that concept. I think it should be on the album and it should be track 2. I'm not entirely happy with the transition from The Miracle to EBW, it's too abrupt for me. I put Invisible right there on my playlist and it's ok. However, sonically it would fit more into the second half of the album since this is Danger Mouse dominated, but I can't think of a place to put it there.

While I'm glad U2 choose to give us 11 new songs I'm still a bit sad to see Invisible vanish into oblivion. I wonder if we will ever see and hear it again. It should be played live at least occasionally.

I gave the album a spin with the song at track #2. It fit pretty ok, but at the end of the day, I just accept that it's not really there.

Put me in the camp that thinks it's appropriately naive and self-conscious for SOI. Would have fit perfectly at track 2.

I don't think it fits on SOI, thematically and certainly not sonically.

Isn't the song supposed to be about U2 arriving in London or some such thing? And isn't SOI supposed to be about growing up in Dublin and their early, formative years? If all that's the case, then it seems to me that Invisible would see to fit more thematically on SOE, perhaps as the first track.

Of course, none of that matters if you're just looking to plug Invisible into SOI and want to know the best place to put it for flow. And I have no idea what SOE, thematically, will actually be about so perhaps Invisible will have no place on that record either. But in any event, it sounds different to me than any other song on SOI record, and I don't think it's a fit. I tried it but it just sticks out, IMO.

How does it not fit thematically? Sonically in its red edit form I agree. SOI has California on it, partly about them arriving in California for the first time, so that part of your argument doesn't stack up.

If I had to then I guess track 2.

But as much as I love Invisible, I think SOI works fine without it.

Thematically, it fits. I'm still surprised they didn't include it. When Bono first started talking about the concept of the album months ago during the time Invisible was released, I was almost sure that the song was part of that concept. I think it should be on the album and it should be track 2. I'm not entirely happy with the transition from The Miracle to EBW, it's too abrupt for me. I put Invisible right there on my playlist and it's ok. However, sonically it would fit more into the second half of the album since this is Danger Mouse dominated, but I can't think of a place to put it there.

While I'm glad U2 choose to give us 11 new songs I'm still a bit sad to see Invisible vanish into oblivion. I wonder if we will ever see and hear it again. It should be played live at least occasionally.

I would be very surprised if it is not a big part of the new live show.

Well it's odd that it wasn't good enough for the album (or even a bonus track) yet they're planning on featuring it prominently in the live show?

Like, I hope it reappears but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Call me crazy but I think a longer version could make Invisible the best U2 song since Miss Sarajevo. Wouldn't have thought that on first listen, but it just keeps getting better and better. Hope the band doesn't forget about this stellar track.

Call me crazy but I think a longer version could make Invisible the best U2 song since Miss Sarajevo. Wouldn't have thought that on first listen, but it just keeps getting better and better. Hope the band doesn't forget about this stellar track.

Miss Sarajevo is a passengers song. Not U2. ?

Back
Top Bottom