Where are the songs from Here Is What Is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b_digg

The Fly
Hi guys, love NLOTH however there is one song/or 'riff' that is shown in Lanois' film here is what is. It begins playing while eno is being interviewed and continues with bono wailing over the top.

Any ideas anyone? The riff is very zeppelinesque i guess it was while edge was shooting it might get loud?

Hopefully it shows up eventually......

Digg

That particular song remains in the vaults I'm afraid, but here's a transcript of that trailer, and the rest of the songs seems to have been released already so who knows?
I also included the transcript for that other video from the Observer or whatever it was that followed U2 around during those sessions.

0. Here Is What Is Trailer - http://media.u2.com/flash/news/danny.swf
01:42 – 02:23 Daniel Lanois – Tamboura from the Omni Series disc Purple Vista.
Lanois: It's kinda touching to know that you're still associated with people 25 years later as has been the case with Eno and U2. It's something special about entering the arena and having that kind of history behind you. And funny enough, even though maybe you haven't seen people in a year or two, or six months you just immediately feel comfortable and pick up where you left off. So, it's great to be back in the studio with my old compadres.

02:23 – 03:33 Unreleased, rhythm centered track.
02:23 – 02:25 Lanois: How do you feel about the quality of our work right now?
02:26 – 02:45 Eno: Well, it's as though for the first time we've really figured out the way we work together best, the whole...all six of us actually, you know.
So suddenly everybody's contribution makes sense and the chemical equation is correct.
02:43 – 02:52 Bono [singing]: The sun, gone, feels in the sun, like it feels like I knew…
02:50 – 03:01 Eno: But what's most surprising is that something that could just be anything suddenly becomes really special in the space of a few minutes.
03:11 – 03:20 Bono [singing]: Can you feel it, love? I could never do, your true love. Love...

03:33 – 03:59 Tripoli (Early version of FEZ)
03: 33 – 03:56 Bono [singing]: Days for miles, we walk the fields and / golden white beads bathes them / they’ve been down from dawn for days / and oh-oh / like it feels like I knew in old Tripoli!
03:56 – 03:57 Edge: [Laughs]
03:58 – 03:59 Bono: …or something!

03:59 – 04:24 Unknown Caller:
Oooh-Oh-Oh/Shout for joy/On every street/Both shot, you /can give it up/Right now/Oooh/Oooh-Oh-Oh/ You know their name/so call it out.

04:24 – 04:43 Possibly an early Moment of Surrender
04:27 – 04:29 Eno: 3,2,3,4
04:32 – 04:33 Bono: To the D again.
04:36 – 04:38 Eno:1,2,3.

23. No Line On The Horizon - Fez - http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/nloth1.swf
00:00 – 00:18 Same track as heard 02:23 – 03:33 in the Here Is What Is trailer from u2.com
00:20 – 01:17 Continuation and evolution of the same track as heard in the beginning.
01:20 – 02:10 Possibly an early take on White As Snow.

Source: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...-the-horizon-complete-transcripts-199293.html

Hi guys, love NLOTH however there is one song/or 'riff' that is shown in Lanois' film here is what is. It begins playing while eno is being interviewed and continues with bono wailing over the top.

Any ideas anyone? The riff is very zeppelinesque i guess it was while edge was shooting it might get loud?

Digg

Yes.I was wondering the same thing.At first I thought it might have been an early version of Return of the Stingray but have recently learned that Stingray was actually from the UF sessions.I am hoping this jam/song from FEZ will turn up on their next album or SOA.I love it.

Again, when Bono sings Tripoli, that's not an early version of Fez/BB. It's just not.

Considering that riff, I have no clue, but I sure hope it shows up one day, along with the extended Magnificent solo from the "Dublin, New York, London" clip.

By the way, it's awesome going back and watching these clips after actually having visited the riad in real life... :D

Agreed^^ But interesting because if you listen to Bono singing the Tripoli line while strumming the guitar on the Here Is What Is video it is actually in the same key as Being Born.

God Pt.III You visited the Riad in Fez?How was that like.It must have been quite an experience.:hmm:

Fez in general was amazing, but visiting the riad was very special.
The owner was very nice and showed me the guestbook and where each band member usually sat when they wrote songs and so on. Actually he said the band would be back in May or June but I guess plans changed. Beautiful place, and you could really hear those birds (though that was true for the whole city, if not the whole country). I'll admit I got a warm fuzzy feeling as soon as I came in there...

I have some pictures:

17963_420036155482_659965482_10572740_778111_n.jpg

20463_462869905482_659965482_10864807_6388662_n.jpg

Comparison:

20463_462869910482_659965482_10864808_6658588_n.jpg

17963_420058865482_659965482_10573156_7912520_n.jpg

That's where Edge usually stood. And taking his place, me, dreaming I'm Edge.

Not only is it awesome that you got to visit the riad, it's also awesome that I've finally met someone on these boards who understands that Tripoli and Fez are totally different songs.

Sounds very 'jammy' and 'pulled from the ass to get the blood flowing', to me.

Why? Because it's quite generic. Probably a good reason they moved on from it.

Not only is it awesome that you got to visit the riad, it's also awesome that I've finally met someone on these boards who understands that Tripoli and Fez are totally different songs.

Tripoli and Being Born is/was pretty much the same song.
What used to be 'Chromium Chords' later became 'Tripoli', only to be renamed 'Being Born' and have the 'Fez' stuck on at the beginning (another U2.com clips tells us that 'Fez' was considered at the beginning of NLOTH the song).

What I'm saying is, just because Bono sings 'in old Tripoli', that doesn't mean it's 'Tripoli'/'Being Born' or anything like that.

And yeah, visiting the riad was awesome :D

Digg

I was wondering if the song you are talking about could have been an early version of what became Stand Up Comedy? U2 said the song went through many variations over the 18 months they worked on it.

As i stated before I love NLOTH but cant help feeling there was some missed opportunities. I mean in the middle 'pop/rock' section of the the album. (I dont want to start WWIII but im talking about IGCIIDGCT / GOYB and SUC) The album feels out of balance here I guess for the sake of commerciality. The album didnt sell anyway and I feel songs like Soon, the original Winter etc flow much better with the material and concept of the album than the other 3.

The band were trying to make an 'album'. I just wish it was more 'cohesive'.

As i stated before I love NLOTH but cant help feeling there was some missed opportunities. I mean in the middle 'pop/rock' section of the the album. (I dont want to start WWIII but im talking about IGCIIDGCT / GOYB and SUC) The album feels out of balance here I guess for the sake of commerciality. The album didnt sell anyway and I feel songs like Soon, the original Winter etc flow much better with the material and concept of the album than the other 3.

The band were trying to make an 'album'. I just wish it was more 'cohesive'.

I agree. That middle section on NLOTH sounds like a commercial safety net to me. It's not all bad, though.

I have to admit, though, that the experimental stuff didn't push hard enough; The Edge was playing it very safely. His guitar sound hasn't changed (except maybe on Fez-Being Born) and there's no loud and soft from him. He's still trying to do really obvious melodies and it's hurting things.

So, the basic melodies of what are considered the more experimental songs aren't good enough to be great.

Also, against what I'd assumed, "I'll Go Crazy" is about as much fun as "Magnificient" and "Breathe"; I listen to those 3 the most; they could still be improved from the 7/10s they are to the 9s or 10s of Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, but they're more fun than "Moment" or "Unknown Caller" or "Fez" or "White as Snow" or "Cedars" for me.

Bono has to work on those lyrics, too, though the title track's lyrics are fine.

Back
Top Bottom