When Do You Think The New Album Will Be Released?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When Do You Think The New Album WIll Be Released?

• Before The 2010 Tour (May/June)

Votes: 46 28.6%
  • After The 2010 Tour (November/December)

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • Spring/Summer 2011

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • Fall/Winter 2011

Votes: 43 26.7%

• Total voters
65890, where did you find that, by the way. did you just get the magazine in the mail, or is there an online link?

I bought the mag off the shelf here in Taiwan.

I interpret his comments as: "I want to make a new album pronto ; Larry, Adam, and Edge say 'no' so we'll compromise."

cool. thanks for the info! makes me feel a little better about our chances of at least getting a new song by June.

Didn't Bono say the exact same thing nearly word-for-word in some interview a few months ago?

I interpret his comments as: "I want to make a new album pronto ; Larry, Adam, and Edge say 'no' so we'll compromise."

Sounds about right.

I don't see an EP happening. Everything they do is BIG. Either the EP gets stretched out to a full length LP before the tour begins, or they shelve it for lack of time needed to produce enough songs for full length LP, which then will prob be shelved forever once they get back from tour and start all over from scratch.

Either this or they embrace new approaches, like putting out an EP. Would be quite revolutionary for the band. Hey, in the strange limbo state of the record business right now, you never know. Maybe they will throw us a curveball.

that's the only thing that got me wondering if the interview is new or not.

yeah, I feel like I've read this before somewhere. It could very well be new though. I wish interviews published in magazines had an interview date at the beginning or end of the article or something. I guess they wouldn't want to do that because they wouldn't want to advertise that their information is outdated in some cases.

At this point I think an album is impossible, so I would be ecstatic to have an EP of 4-6 new songs. I honestly think that's the absolute BEST we can hope for.

They had 9 finished songs before they even toured last year, and they've written plenty of other material, now getting over arguments over what their priority should be or how to make something cohesive and promote it might be 'impossible' to get over, but finishing an album isn't.

I imagine U2 will release a single to coincide with the tour, and then a studio album in late 2011 with the usual promotional onslaught.

it just depends on how confident they are in the songs. and if Bono can convince the rest of the band to nut up and just release it even if it's not cooked to perfection the way they want it. i don't doubt that the band are going to try to release the album. I think if they have one or two slam dunk singles, they'll go ahead and release it. if not, it becomes dicey.

Bono in the new Q magazine: "We've been listening to material for Songs of Ascent. We haven't fully decided to press 'go' on that. But we're touring at the end of May and it'd be nice to have some new songs. Even if it's an EP or a single song."

:hyper: At least they're still thinking of SoA for the title. That's a start!

I'm going for 2011, because I don't think they've recorded anything yet. But on that account, I could be wrong.

If something was recorded, and they rushed production, I guess we could see something this summer. Seems like they would have announced a new album, though, if they were releasing a new album.

I'm going for 2011, because I don't think they've recorded anything yet. But on that account, I could be wrong.

If something was recorded, and they rushed production, I guess we could see something this summer. Seems like they would have announced a new album, though, if they were releasing a new album.

We know they have recorded a few things at least..... (prolly like 3 albums worth..)

ShipOfFools, you haven't been paying a lot of attention have you? They've had album worthy material ready to go since before NLOTH came out, and the whole band was working together after the tour.

I think the Q inteview is fairly recent, they tend not to re-jash the same old crap. I initially thought that this album would be out in May-June, with a minimum of fanfare the months prior to that, just like Zooropa was. We know they have already recorded loads of songs, so nothing which has happened has significantly changed my opinion. The closer we get to May/June with no news the more nervous we get, but I wasn't expecting to hear anything until around two months before, so chill. I'm predicting we hear some concrete news in early March.
This break between tour legs is perfect for them to finish the album, they have a whole programme of gigs to promote, we have an album name...everything is still pointing towards May. If I'm wrong I will eat my humble pie...

with u2 time being as reliable as the British weather- I've gone with Fall 2011

that said- what's the point of extending the 360 Tour if they've got nothing new to play/ promote??? surely part of the purpose of any tour is to get people buying the new material?

if there is no new album or whatever then 360 Phase 2 will surely be a greatest hits tour? not that I mind that- there are plenty of hits that I'd like to hear, but in many respects it was the new material that was the highlight for me

I'd love to hear another one in the vein of NLOTH (minus CT, GOYB and SUC)- but the perception that it was a flop may stop that happening

They're probably working on the many songs and song-fragments they have left-over from previous sessions right now.

My feeling is that since Zooropa they haven't been willing to really take a chance with a commercial release, knowing how high the stakes are given their age and today's corporate rock culture. If NLOTH had been a big mainstream hit, I think they'd definitely be putting out an EP or an LP in spring. But since NLOTH did all right but wasn't particularly "big" in the cultural sense, I suspect the U2 camp has backed into a corner now and are thinking very hard (ie., too hard for those of us who couldn't care less how big their records are at this point) about their next move.

NOTE: Regarding NLOTH, I am not saying that it was a "flop" (obviously it wasn't), and I realize it was probably one of 2009's biggest sellers. However, with a band as gradiose as U2, there is a big difference between a good-selling album (like Pop and NLOTH) and a huge album that becomes a cultural touchstone (like JT, Achtung, ALYCLB). The fact that they still want to shoot for the latter on every release reduces the odds, I would guess, of a new studio album any time soon.

ShipOfFools, you haven't been paying a lot of attention have you? They've had album worthy material ready to go since before NLOTH came out, and the whole band was working together after the tour.
Well Bono said that.

They're probably working on the many songs and song-fragments they have left-over from previous sessions right now.

My feeling is that since Zooropa they haven't been willing to really take a chance with a commercial release, knowing how high the stakes are given their age and today's corporate rock culture. If NLOTH had been a big mainstream hit, I think they'd definitely be putting out an EP or an LP in spring. But since NLOTH did all right but wasn't particularly "big" in the cultural sense, I suspect the U2 camp has backed into a corner now and are thinking very hard (ie., too hard for those of us who couldn't care less how big their records are at this point) about their next move.

NOTE: Regarding NLOTH, I am not saying that it was a "flop" (obviously it wasn't), and I realize it was probably one of 2009's biggest sellers. However, with a band as gradiose as U2, there is a big difference between a good-selling album (like Pop and NLOTH) and a huge album that becomes a cultural touchstone (like JT, Achtung, ALYCLB). The fact that they still want to shoot for the latter on every release reduces the odds, I would guess, of a new studio album any time soon.

Sadly, I agree with all of this, and I think this will be the biggest barrier to us seeing anything new before the tour resumes. I've mentioned before in these threads that this is the only reason I cared about NLOTH's sales numbers - that if the band perceived it as a "failure" sales-wise, they'd be more reluctant to release something that might not have the commercial appeal.

I think the Q inteview is fairly recent, they tend not to re-jash the same old crap. I initially thought that this album would be out in May-June, with a minimum of fanfare the months prior to that, just like Zooropa was. We know they have already recorded loads of songs, so nothing which has happened has significantly changed my opinion. The closer we get to May/June with no news the more nervous we get, but I wasn't expecting to hear anything until around two months before, so chill. I'm predicting we hear some concrete news in early March.
This break between tour legs is perfect for them to finish the album, they have a whole programme of gigs to promote, we have an album name...everything is still pointing towards May. If I'm wrong I will eat my humble pie...

I agree.

I voted for "before the 2010 tour" as I just don't see a rationale for a gap this long with all of this "album worthy" material that is close to finished. At least none other than they are planning on getting an album out.

It seems we here on blue crack sometimes have short memories. NLOTH came out at the end of February/early March and we did not hear anything until mid December.

Now, of course NLOTH was a full fledged, first in a few years album designed to sell big and start a promotional world tour. A reasonable person could conclude that U2 does not need to announce a quick follow up on a tour break as far in advance.As we all know, Zooropa was out but they were still touring in promotion of AB, hopefully in Spring, SOA will be out and be promoted with NLOTH for the remainder of 360.

Just like 65980 says, given the relative lack of commercial success for NLOTH, it is certainly within the realm of possibility that U2 are simply deciding to play it cool this time, not talk it up as much as they did NLOTH, lay low, and let the album do the talking. I have no doubt that a band as smart as U2 are from a business standpoint learned the lessons of the GOYB single debacle. They will get something out that grabs people's attention on its merits as a song and then let that and the tour promote the album. I think. Or I hope.

To that end, I will not get nervous until mid March w/o hearing something official, and I won't conclude that nothing will be out before the tour until mid to late April.

I probably know less about this than most of you on here, so I am not saying "lets all shut up about this Fall 2010/Spring 2011/never" talk. I am just saying that I have no idea and will keep my pessimistic side in check until I hear something official that delays the release.

if there is no new album or whatever then 360 Phase 2 will surely be a greatest hits tour? not that I mind that- there are plenty of hits that I'd like to hear, but in many respects it was the new material that was the highlight for me

I, like you, hope that they can still keep alot of NLOTH material even if they do not get out anything new before leg 3. I think an essential part of what makes U2 different than other older touring acts is its focus on new and relevant material. Besides, as you point out, its not like any of the songs went off bad live, quite the opposite.

If they go toward the greatest hits route, I really think they need to shift the focus from ATYCLB to I Will Follow, Gloria, Two Hearts Beat as One, full band Desire, Angel of Harlem, All I Want Is You, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Discotheque and Staring At the Sun.

The irony of this is that time reduces any band's cultural relevance, decreasing the odds of said band releasing a cultural touchstone, and yet U2 continues to try, without drastically changing up the sound that made them a representative of the zeitgeist in decades past.

Something has to give. Either U2 decides to stick with their current sound and content themselves with whatever consumers will give them, or they take a stab at setting/predicting an upcoming trend, the way they did with Achtung. The problem with revisiting an old sound is that the product is no longer unique, and likely not essential; why purchase an album you already own? And, if they choose to tackle a whole new sound, the project could be entirely misguided/misinformed. Mixing the two didn't work with NLOTH, so it's clear that they have to choose one or the other. Or, at the very least, not expect to go diamond if they stay the course.

that said- what's the point of extending the 360 Tour if they've got nothing new to play/ promote??? surely part of the purpose of any tour is to get people buying the new material?

That used to be the case, but come on, they'll each bank like $100m from this tour, CD sales in this piracy era are peanuts by comparison, which is why people saying that U2's not doing as well as artists like Kanye or Beyonce (or even Coldplay) are totally off base, they aren't even close to U2's standards, even on their 'smaller' tours like Elevation.

The relative low sales of NLOTH may on the other hand encourage U2 to move on and release SOA more quickly (though no doubt with a polished opening single Every breaking vawe). U2 will eventually realise even they will no longer sell 10+ million albums, and the virtually single-less NLOTH may be the first sign in that direction. They are simply too old now, but that doesn't mean that they can't do relevant music. They've got nothing to lose at this point in their career, and nothing to prove to anyone.

The good news is they have a tight lyrical idea for SOA and so the album will have a running theme, which hasn't happened since Zooropa. Another thing in SOA's favour is they said it has a coheren sound, which is the one thing NLOTH lacked (if any). The issue of "writing music for the sake of music" and "getting lost in the music" is that eventually you don't end up with a coherent sound.

Consider NLOTH marks the end of the decade, and the end of another U2 trilogy of albums. A change usually comes around a time like this...and it's time Edge comes up with a new sound.

Bono in the new Q magazine: "We've been listening to material for Songs of Ascent. We haven't fully decided to press 'go' on that. But we're touring at the end of May and it'd be nice to have some new songs. Even if it's an EP or a single song."
Or a best of 2000-10 with 2-3 new songs.

Back
Top Bottom