When are we going to hear the first single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

standrums

War Child
It's getting on a bit now, it's almost the middle of January! That's only a month and a half to have the single out on radio airplay, then in the shops a few weeks before the album hits!

Isn't this a bit late?

Surely the radios would be playing the single by now?

Or am I just getting fed up of waiting?:mad:

As said in the NLOTH thread, I don't know, but my feeling is – it is still too early. With an album being published in late February/early March, for the teaser single I'd count from next week on at the best. Hope for an earlier leak though, too ... We might feelt better, when we take a second and look back on other hard times – to learn, why 1997 might teach us something for 2009:

-HTDAAB (2004): released November 22/23; the single "Vertigo" officially came November 8/9 (though an earlier format circulated from late September on in the US already) ...

- AYCLB (2000): released October 30; the single "Beautiful Day" officially came October 9/10 (though it arrived at radio stations a month earlier) ...

- POP (1997): released March 3/4 (as NLOTH in 2009!!!!); the single "Discotheque" came January 8 (but only that early, because the song already had leaked and was played illegally in the radio. Originally the release was planned later, which might give us another hint for today!)

As said in the NLOTH thread, I don't know, but my feeling is – it is still too early. With an album being published in late February/early March, for the teaser single I'd count from next week on at the best. Hope for an earlier leak though, too ... We might feelt better, when we take a second and look back on other hard times – to learn, why 1997 might teach us something for 2009:

-HTDAAB (2004): released November 22/23; the single "Vertigo" officially came November 8/9 (though an earlier format circulated from late September on in the US already) ...

- AYCLB (2000): released October 30; the single "Beautiful Day" officially came October 9/10 (though it arrived at radio stations a month earlier) ...

- POP (1997): released March 3/4 (as NLOTH in 2009!!!!); the single "Discotheque" came January 8 (but only that early, because the song already had leaked and was played illegally in the radio. Originally the release was planned later, which might give us another hint for today!)

Well, based on these dates, I'm not sure why people are saying we're going to hear the single by mid January at the latest....it seems we're going to hear the single by early February at the earliest if the album is released March 2.

Well, based on these dates, I'm not sure why people are saying we're going to hear the single by mid January at the latest....it seems we're going to hear the single by early February at the earliest if the album is released March 2.
:up:

+ with BD and Vertigo they wanted to make the Grammy deadline, so they had to be released earlier... and with POP there was a leak, as you said :wave:

Pop leaked, and they wanted to be elligible for the Grammys two times in a row with BD/ATYCLB and Vertigo/Bomb. There was no talk of such plans this time.

BTW I'm talking about the first radio airplay, not the official CD/download release.

In the forums on @U2, Matt McGee says he got a note from someone on the east coast (of US, I assume) saying that radio station announced the new single will be on the airwaves next week.
This has gotta be for real. Remember a while back, that guy talked to Bono in France and he said the single would be about Jan 15?

He wants to know when the radio will play the songs not when the single will offically be released!

The single will be offically released 2 weeks before the album so say 16th Feb so that means the single will be released to the radio approx 5 weeks before the single becomes available which would mean week starting 12th Jan

Pop leaked, and they wanted to be elligible for the Grammys two times in a row with BD/ATYCLB and Vertigo/Bomb. There was no talk of such plans this time.

BTW I'm talking about the first radio airplay, not the official CD/download release.

In my opinion the best time to release a single to radio is approx 6 weeks before the album drops. Any earlier than that and people will be sick of the song before the album even comes out. All signs are pointing to an airdate of APPROXIMATELY January 15. Only just over a week to go!

Well i don't know about Discotheque and Beautiful Day, but i can assure you that you're wrong about the Vertigo airplay. Why i'm so sure?? Because Vertigo had the first official airplay in September 22 , and that's my Birthday :)

mind the difference between dates of phisical release of the single and its radio premiere

Well i don't know about Discotheque and Beautiful Day, but i can assure you that you're wrong about the Vertigo airplay. Why i'm so sure?? Because Vertigo had the first official airplay in September 22 , and that's my Birthday :)

Great for you :wink:– but that is exactly, what I wrote. It circulated earlier than the official release: "the single "Vertigo" officially came November 8/9 (though an earlier format circulated from late September on in the US already) ..."
"

He wants to know when the radio will play the songs not when the single will offically be released!

The single will be offically released 2 weeks before the album so say 16th Feb so that means the single will be released to the radio approx 5 weeks before the single becomes available which would mean week starting 12th Jan

Some sense, at last!

This is on the button, nearly all 1st singles off albums are two weeks in advance of the album.

I think week starting 12th is probably right. I would have thought that Radio 1 in the UK will start talking about the exclusive 1st play next week and it will probably drop next Friday or a week on Monday. Usually this will happen on the Chris Moyles Breakfast show in the UK, the highest rating radio show over here. The first play will probably be synchronised across the Atlantic too. Normally a courier will deliver the promo to the station on that very morning.

However, I expect some obscure Radio station to break that Worldwide exclusivity embargo a few hours/days before this official launch just to gain some notoriety.

I'd say its more likely to be on Jo Whiley's show. It was for Bomb, and they seem to have a long relationship with her, probably because she's more attractive than Chris Moyles.

I'd say its more likely to be on Jo Whiley's show. It was for Bomb, and they seem to have a long relationship with her, probably because she's more attractive than Chris Moyles.

I think the episode of Top Gear would have been more... entertaining if Jeremy Clarkson had taken Jo Whiley in his forty foot car rather than Chris Moyles.

WRONG!

Chris Moyles played Vertigo at 8.15am as this is peak listening time for Radio 1 i can remember all the build up as i was listening in from 7.30am on the day

Basically they play it when they have the most listeners which is Chris Moyles show. The reason why all big news is at 8.15am - 8.20am is because this is when they have the most listeners

Expect U2.com to relaunch on Monday 12th with all news about the new single and dates.

Dave Fanning on RTE Radio to play new single First on either Wed 14th or Thurs 15th (his show is 7pm till 9pm)

Radio 1 (UK) to play the new Single the next morning at 8.15am on Chris Moyles Show

Then Worldwide Radio Airplay straight Away

Also remember Jo Whiley is on Meternity leave until late Spring so someone else is doing her show

FWIW I don't expect the Album to leak until maybe a week before release, I think with big releases record companies are getting better at protecting their investment. There are exceptions of course...

I also don't think the single will leak to the web until it's played on the radio. Can't see a promo leaking...

Of course this isn't stopping me check this place every half hour looking for a full CD quality album rip!

With the exception of Numb, every first song (airplay, not actual single) began playing about a full 2 months before the album. So yes, it is late.

WRONG!

Chris Moyles played Vertigo at 8.15am as this is peak listening time for Radio 1 i can remember all the build up as i was listening in from 7.30am on the day

Basically they play it when they have the most listeners which is Chris Moyles show. The reason why all big news is at 8.15am - 8.20am is because this is when they have the most listeners

My apologies. All I remember is the band doing that special radio show with Jo Whiley where they played a number of album tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom