What's it like for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think of it as traumatic, no
but I also don't think anyone could truly love it
too much is riding on it
it's not as if they fail they can just say "oh well, let's try again then" like I do when I fuck up at work
they'll have to tour it and then hear all about it again when they work on and release the next album

well if I fuck up at work I have a problem and it's not like the 1000 eurobills are lying around in our house either, no that I complain, we have money but.
Do not forget. U2 do NOT have to do this, they WANT to do this. I do not feel sorry for someone with a "job" like that and all the benefits it brings. downsides; yes, but compared to normal life. you'll get the idea

and the sentence "they will have to tour" makes it sounds like going to prison or something. let's see: 60000 people cheering for you and paying their hard earned cash for you to sing 21 songs a night and get a standing ovation and millions of dollars at the same time. Not to say this isn't a tough life but the reward is slightly bigger than your average productionworker if you catch my drift

well, I said that they will have to tour the album even if the reception of said album is a bad one
I'm sure you also were there when they played POPMart in Rotterdam
I don't think Bono looked like a happy bunny when he noticed quite a bit of empty places

I also never said you have to feel sorry for them
just that it can't be a picnic releasing something you've worked on for 18 months to the wolves and knowing that if you did mess up you won't be able to redeem yourself for another 4 years

of course they will be left with enough money to burn
but I don't believe they're jaded enough to make that the most important thing in life

Pop -- it was probably gut wrenching to have to be pumped up for a concert where you know you were losing money (the cost to put on the concert was more than the take)

I agree with the original post. Just because they are famous rock stars and drowning in money, doesn't mean they are not human and don't have have real thoughts, feelings, fears, nervousness, etc. They took a lot of time for this album and I'm sure they were / are nervous about how everyone is going to feel about it. I think the general consensus is excellent though and they should all be very proud of themselves.

To release a new album?

Can you imagine the stress? Everything that is riding on it? Watching the reviews unflold? The excitement and utter sickness that you must go through unveiling your very personal, artwork to the world?

And the expectations of all of your fans? Critics? Business partners?

And, knowing that public sentiment could turn on you, if you really screw it up?

I'm sure that the band, having done this so many times is past most of the stress. You have to get to that point, and just enjoy what you do.

But, it must still be trying.

Imagine how we, the fans feel when we see a trite, mindless rejection of the album for no good reason...in some lame review. What if it was your work?

I guess it's like everything in life, you have to be happy with it, or else don't do it.

:applaud:

Just because they are millionaires doesnt mean that they dont care about the product they put out into the world. This is the reason they are millionaires actually because they care a lot about what is put out.

I would imagine it is pretty stressful for the first few weeks and even months till the tour tickets go on sale to see how people are reacting to the record. But in the end they are doing something they love so I hope for them it is all worthwhile.

I'm a sometimes writer and author, so I can at least slightly identify with what they are going through. It's thrilling and nervewracking to release your work to the world.

But I imagine they fill very, very solid about this album. They've got to know how good it is.

I think we'll get a feel for where they are on this album in the interviews on Letterman and such coming up. I'd like to see that comfort level there -- let them explain the change of direction in their own words. It could go far, especially explaining a single like boots, especially if it has a negative reaction.

Back
Top Bottom