What Will Be The Second Single Before Album Release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The person who said there were only "plans" for two singles was just some DJ in KC wasn't it? I'm sure the plans for singles 3/4 aren't even known yet, anyway. I'm sure there's a good sketch, though.

Coldplay released two singles before their last album was out. The first single (Violet Hill) wasn't a big hit, but the second one (Viva La Vida) was a huge hit.

I wouldnt mind if they hadnt release any singel at all from the new album, its strange but the songs feels different when they arent singles.

They’re going to need to. GOYB doesn’t hold up.

Also, it’s 2009 kids. Please don’t apply pre-2005 single logic. It would be very, very, very smart for them to let at least one more song appear on the internets – either formally or mysteriously - before the album is released. Call it a single if you want, but that doesn’t really matter anymore.

Either go with the albums best commercial chance and push it on radio, or go with the albums best song and let it out there online. Either way, they are definitely going to need something else out there before the album. Partly because it all works differently now – you can’t reach everyone by using the radio as advertising and pushing one song endlessly for a month anymore. Attention spans are tiny now. On top of that, GOYB, love it or hate it, is not going to be a big song. Not even close. It will be gone in a week. They’ll need to fill the gap.

If they’re saying only 2 singles, then I would totally understand that. Maybe 2 early, and another one as the tour hits each continent. It’s a different world now. Releasing 4 or 5 ‘Singles’ as per the old definition is just ridiculous. Even moreso considering it’s U2, not Justin Timberlake or the Pussycat Dolls or Pink or whoever. This world is not the same as it was and it’s not their world now anyway.

It just seems like such a long gap between January 19th and March 2nd/3rd to only have GOYB to judge the album. I think they will definitely release one more song.

Also, it’s 2009 kids. Please don’t apply pre-2005 single logic. It would be very, very, very smart for them to let at least one more song appear on the internets – either formally or mysteriously - before the album is released. Call it a single if you want, but that doesn’t really matter anymore.

Either go with the albums best commercial chance and push it on radio, or go with the albums best song and let it out there online. Either way, they are definitely going to need something else out there before the album. Partly because it all works differently now – you can’t reach everyone by using the radio as advertising and pushing one song endlessly for a month anymore. Attention spans are tiny now. On top of that, GOYB, love it or hate it, is not going to be a big song. Not even close. It will be gone in a week. They’ll need to fill the gap.

If they’re saying only 2 singles, then I would totally understand that. Maybe 2 early, and another one as the tour hits each continent. It’s a different world now. Releasing 4 or 5 ‘Singles’ as per the old definition is just ridiculous. Even moreso considering it’s U2, not Justin Timberlake or the Pussycat Dolls or Pink or whoever. This world is not the same as it was and it’s not their world now anyway.

please stop forcing your opions on everyone !

Edge did say in U2's interview with Brian Williams that the want people to think of this as a collection of songs. He says people don't listen to albums as a whole anymore. If the rumor is true that they only want to release two singles this may be why.

I don't know, AB is definitely more than just a collection of songs, and they released plenty of singles. Granted times were different, but that definitely gave it more staying power and elevated it from the 3-4m copies in the US their 2000's era albums have done, to around diamond status, once again no one expects albums to sell like that anymore, but popular singles (in whatever form they take nowadays) will help to make it sell beyond the initial rush from U2 fans.

I don't think they will release another single before the album is out but I agree it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I wouldn't write off Boots as the terrible single some people seem to think it is, but it would be nice to give people another angle of the album.

Other than the fact that it is pretty hard to make judgments on songs based on the other 4 BC we have heard, I'm surprised that everyone is saying Breathe or Magnificant should be the next single. I think both sound like very promising songs, but not really single material IMO... I think Unknown Caller could work better, it has such a killer chorus :drool:

I really quite like Boots, and in fact I'm a bit surprised that it is getting such a mixed reaction. I wasn't sure at all from the BC, but I was pleasantly surprised. So given it was my least-favourite clip, it definately bodes well for the other songs :up:

If you look at artists today they all have several singles in the charts at the one time. Kings Of Leon, Pink, Coldplay all do. U2 need the second single released to radio before the album drops. Oh and yeah, it has to be their best song, so Breathe or Moment of Surrender or whatever it has to be avaialbe before the album is out. I would hate to see a repeat of 1997. It is all about marketing these days, you simply cant wait 3 or 4 months for the next single. While im ranting, i think it was a dumb move releasing GOYB as a cd and download track a whole month after it hit radio.:down:

I think "I'll Go Crazy," but I'm not holding my breath on a second single before the album's release.

I doubt that they will release another single before the album is officially released but I think that they should.

The reaction for Boots has been mixed. For me -- I have not tried posting a review on Boots because I don't know how I feel about it. Since the release of the song I have listened to it at least about 50 times. It's not one of U2's greatest songs but I don't hate it either.

As to releasing another single --Coldplay released Violet Hill as a free download. When I first heard the track I had a similar mixed reaction to the track as I now have for Boots. However, a few days after releasing Violet Hill and a few weeks before the album dropped, Coldplay released Viva La Vida which in my opinion was the strongest and best track on the album. VLV went to the top of iTunes immediately (it helps that it was used in an Apple commercial) but I think that the strength of the song Viva La Vida really helped overall sales for Coldplay's album. So I think that it would be a very good idea for U2 to release one of there best and strongest tracks on NOL before the album is released. :hmm: Based on the reviews so far, I would vote for Moment of Surrender but the track is about 7 minutes.

So I think that it would be a very good idea for U2 to release one of there best and strongest tracks on NOL before the album is released. :hmm: Based on the reviews so far, I would vote for Moment of Surrender but the track is about 7 minutes.

I would agree. If MOS or some other track has an iconic melody that will be infectious then they will need to do that right away after the album is released. They were in the same situation when The Fly (as awesome as that is) didn't do great as a hit. They followed with Mysterious Ways and One.

I anticipate they wont win any major Grammys with this album. Just call it a prediction..people here may not agree but thats just the way I feel about it :)

Doesn't have to be a 'single', just let a song slip out there onto the net. Either formally as a free download/stream, or just let it mysteriously appear out there. Not even one that's tagged as a possible 'single' single. It's about creating waves of interest and talk. 5 weeks or so is an eternity in 2009. GOYB won't be able to hold any attention for very long - and that's not a comment on the quality of the song. As has been noted, pretty much everyone - from Coldplay to the Killers to Britney Spears - is releasing within far smaller timelines now.

I wonder how would work if they released every song of the album to radio. Only radio. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom