What Will Be The Message Coveyed This Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moser

Refugee
Well, with How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, the message was clearly about the maturity of becoming a man.

Pop was about consumerism. Achtung Baby about irony. The Joshua Tree about America. War about War, ETC!!

So what will be the message this time?

Exotic Worlds? Numbers? Disappointment? Women? Sorrow? Celebration?

It's going to be about circus performers who overdose on hallucinagenic drugs and murder.

achtung baby really wasn't about irony at all...
It was about heartbreak, darkness and loneliness.
Yes, ZooTV toyed with a lot of these themes and poked fun at being a rock star, but most of the tunes are all really really heavy IMO.

Come to think of it, was Pop actually about consumerism...? Never really thought any of those songs were, bar TPM maybe...

Last edited:
Numbology said:
It will be all about sales.

:wink:

Hahaha. For sure!

Paul McDollarBills will have a co-writing or exclusive writing credit on each track.

In fact, I bet all songs will be listed as, "Written and performed by: U2, Inc. with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois"

Seriously? I bet this album will deal with something like, trying to live a full, happy life in such unsure times. Or something along those lines.

Moser said:
Well, with How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, the message was clearly about the maturity of becoming a man.

Pop was about consumerism. Achtung Baby about irony. The Joshua Tree about America. War about War, ETC!!

Exotic Worlds? Numbers? Disappointment? Women? Sorrow? Celebration?

I think that AB has nothing to do with that. AB is about (as someone said) "heartbreak, darkness, (...) loneliness." and betrayal.
Pop's main theme is not that one too (that's for Popmart Tour). Pop is about darkness - once again - and is about the existance of God. Pop's main question is "Do you feel loved?".

Re: Re: What Will Be The Message Coveyed This Time?

Aygo said:

I think that AB has nothing to do with that. AB is about (as someone said) "heartbreak, darkness, (...) loneliness." and betrayal.
Pop's main theme is not that one too (that's for Popmart Tour). Pop is about darkness - once again - and is about the existance of God. Pop's main question is "Do you feel loved?".

Agree, Pop and AB are really heavy records. I remember Bono saying that the light hearted title of AB hid the fact that it was a hell of a dark, heartbreaking album. The same sentiment could be applied to Pop too. That record really isn't pop. Listen to WUDM, one of the most honest, dark songs i've ever heard, without entering the gauche world of goth or emo, god forbid!

I honestly never really thought that ZooTV was that ironic either. It parodied mainstream media rather than made a huge ironic comment, there is a subtle but distinct difference. The longer PopMart ran, the less lighthearted I think it became too...

i hope the album really isn't about "anything" in particular, just original and great rock and roll..

sorry, but i hate all this theme stuff!

joshua tree is the only album i see as being overtly about something, or having a them all the way through it.

its up to the listener. i don't see any of the albums the way the original poster does.

i thought all u2 albums were about God, but what do i know?

Moser said:

"We know we can write better songs, but we know you'll buy millions of copies no matter how little effort we put into this, so make us richer."

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Clowns, mark my words, it will be about clowns. Edge's cousin told me so.

cousin.jpg

I have a hunch it'll tie in to Bono's charity/debt relief/africa/Africa/Africa! work.

Just a hunch. Call me crazy if you will, but I calls em like I sees em.

^ I wish Bono would leave the Africa stuff alone on the new album...maybe touch on it throughout each concert/tour but don't incorporate it so much into the album....PLEASE!

although, I really can't imagine it is going to be considering this "hand played electro" type of sound being described :hmm:

Well seeing as Bono is harping on about their "new sound" and "new direction" my guess is it'll be about souls, knees, and honey.

luna_lovegood said:
Well seeing as Bono is harping on about their "new sound" and "new direction" my guess is it'll be about souls, knees, and honey.

but...I thought he was talking about their "new sound" and "new direction" ... :eyebrow:

Re: Re: What Will Be The Message Coveyed This Time?

Aygo said:

Pop is about consumerism and loss of faith. And Zoo TV was ironic, considering U2's image in the 80's...

Re: Re: Re: What Will Be The Message Coveyed This Time?

U2girl said:

Pop is about consumerism and loss of faith. And Zoo TV was ironic, considering U2's image in the 80's...

Yes, it is true but Zooropa had talked about the loss of faith too.
That's why I reffered the (non-)existance of God in the songs.:sexywink:

Some of it, but not counting The first time and Wanderer, I think that particular subject was more present on Pop.

Fuck off..

But seriously i hope they have some attitude now, and i would be even happier if they could cut down the africa part to the minimum.

Not that i don't support it but i think they can make it clear enough around the concerts not in it.

I think there could be a focus on the collision of Eastern and Western culture, in the sound of the music as well as the theme(s). A journey from Africa, the Middle East, to Ireland and back again...

Michael Griffiths said:
I think there could be a focus on the collision of Eastern and Western culture, in the sound of the music as well as the theme(s). A journey from Africa, the Middle East, to Ireland and back again...

Great to see you back Michael :yes: Now it truly feels like new album season

I hope you're right on a few regards, mainly because Bono is so passionate about his work and the plight of others that if he just channels it approriately as though not making a commercial out of the entire album, that it could be an amazing outpouring by him. Think 'The Two Americas', i.e., 'The Joshua Tree' uprooted, replanted and grown in Africa. In particular 'Bullet' hits me. It's been around so long on the live scene so long that you know it still hits a huge vein with the band. I think it's safe expect something along the same lines.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

Fcking great!
Didn't Bono say - somewhen in Fez - that he felt that Morocco is sort of a borderline between the modern western and eastern cultures?

Back
Top Bottom