What we really do know about NLOTH ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about ONE BIRD?!?!?!?!

That was going to be the best song name EVAR! :(

What about ONE BIRD?!?!?!?!

That was going to be the best song name EVAR! :(

Can't help you with this one, because diving into working titles (that naturally have changed over the years) would leave our fundament of knowing. All we seem to know are the 12 distinct, separate tracks, that might form the long NLOTH album. If "One Bird" did make it in there in whatever form (you have some bird sounds as the intro to "Unknown Caller" confirmed) or if it was thrown out, we simply don't know ...:wave:

I did like love is all we have left. lead me in the way i should go kind sucked though.

I am 50-50 on one bird. It's ok I spose...

Never noticed that. :up:

6. "Unknown Caller"
(- Q-source: "stately"; "was recorded in Fez and opens with the sounds of birdsong taped by Eno during a Moroccan dawn"
(- Q-magazine: "opens with the sound of birdsong recorded live in Fez. A middle eastern flavoured percussion loop drives this tale about a man"at the end of his rope" whose phone bizarrely begins texting him random instructions: "Reboot yourself","Password, enter here","You're free to go".
Dallas Schoo describes the song as "one of Edge's major solos in his life - you wont hear better than that on any other song""
- RS-source: "this midtempo track could have fit on ATYCLB. "The idea is that the narrator is in an altered state, and his phone starts talking to him," says the Edge")

... but to connect it with any working title as "One Bird", stays pure speculation ...:wink:

6. "Unknown Caller"
(- Q-source: "stately"; "was recorded in Fez and opens with the sounds of birdsong taped by Eno during a Moroccan dawn"
(- Q-magazine: "opens with the sound of birdsong recorded live in Fez. A middle eastern flavoured percussion loop drives this tale about a man"at the end of his rope" whose phone bizarrely begins texting him random instructions: "Reboot yourself","Password, enter here","You're free to go".
Dallas Schoo describes the song as "one of Edge's major solos in his life - you wont hear better than that on any other song""
- RS-source: "this midtempo track could have fit on ATYCLB. "The idea is that the narrator is in an altered state, and his phone starts talking to him," says the Edge")

... but to connect it with any working title as "One Bird", stays pure speculation ...:wink:

I meant I didn't notice the possible similarities between One Bird and UC.

I guess I just have a hard time getting my head around One Bird being a working title for Unknown Caller, since the song (while perhaps title-less at that time) was fairly worked up. Not to say that it wasn't, it's only a working title after all... who knows what relevence the title has to the sonic production... more lyrical ideas, probably.....

That being said, One Bird could be a description of a character, say an AWOL soldier in Afganistan, or a wanderer who makes his way from France to Cadiz.... :hmm:

^ the working title could have been simply because they didnt have a name, and the song included the sound of one bird. I mean, The hindu Times was an oasis working title that just stuck, and has nothing to do with 'getting up when your down, or not being able to swim, but having an undrownable soul'...

^ Yeah, this is the assumption I've made as well... just thinking about what else it could apply to though... i guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

I find it funny that the thread 'What we really do know about NLOTH' has become speculation as well! :lol: not that i care, its just kind of funny!

I find it funny that the thread 'What we really do know about NLOTH' has become speculation as well! :lol: not that i care, its just kind of funny!
.. with always the possibility to return to page 1 and to check the facts, these speculations are based upon ...:wink:

^ yeah but speculation is all we have left. amazing that we hang on for these tidbits of info, and as soon as we have them, we jump straight back into the world of fantasy.

^ yeah but speculation is all we have left. amazing that we hang on for these tidbits of info, and as soon as we have them, we jump straight back into the world of fantasy.
:up:, but now I really have to take some hours off – before the night is over. Enjoy, folks!

I believe in poor writing that way, that we have

1. one private session by Bono while driving around with Q
2. during this session two at that moment unfinished tunes were played, "No Line On The Horizon" (of whom two versions exist) and the still to be completed "Every Breaking Wave"

If you were right, Bono would have made such a private car session twice with Q, and would have played on both of them only two tunes – I don't believe so. Plus: 12 tunes with two rather long tracks would explain, why Bono called the album "very long". Hopefully none of the 12 will be thrown out therefore as it happened to a certain tune on the last album... :wave:

Well, we're just going to have to see! If we take the writer to mean what he said; we have a minimum of 14 tracks. But who knows!

@ZOOTVTOURist:

nice job summing it all up! I know all this info is scattered around the place but with this list you really give shape to the new album. Thanks :)

I have it on good authority this is the shape of the new album
cd300-300.jpg

- 1 Cedars of Lebanon
- 2 Winter
- 3 Every Breaking Wave
- 4 Breathe
- 5 Tripoli
- 6 Crazy Tonight
- 7 Unknown Caller
- 8 Get on your boots
- 9 Moment of surrender
- 10 Magnificent