What? U2 best of 2000 -2010??? Possible hoax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U18 was completely unnecessary, and the 90-00 compilation absolutely should not have had any of the ATYCLB tracks on there...the should have just stuck to AB, Zooropa, Pop and the B-Sides. There was more than enough quality material to fill out two discs. Clearly, U2 wasn't confident enough in the material and thought they had to throw a couple more recent hits to move it off the shelves. This was a mistake, IMO.

They should never have released, U218, and just kept with the compilation series as it was. And if they do ever put out a 00-10 compilation (doubt it), I'm sure those ATYCLB tracks would reappear.

I'm not sure why it makes no sense to have ATYCLB tracks on the 1990-2000 best of. They came out in 2000, so they have to be on there. To not have songs that came out of the last year included in the title of the compilation would make no sense at all. It would only make sense if it was called the Best of 1990-1998 or 1999. But then that wouldn't make fit with the first best of CD, which probably should have been the best of 1980-1989 since there isn't anything from 1990 on there.

ATYCLB had enough hits to span 2 cds, and they were probably thinking they'd be more prolific, or have more hits later in the decade. They didn't want to have four years between records.

I think this would be the tracklist of the 2000-2010 CD, should it ever come out:

Elevation
Walk On
Kite
In A Little While
Vertigo
COBL
A Man and A Woman
Sometimes
Original
NLOTH
Magnificent
Crazy (remix)
Boots
MOS
Winter (linear)
Mercy

It really doesn't stand up too well against the other ones!

U18 was completely unnecessary, and the 90-00 compilation absolutely should not have had any of the ATYCLB tracks on there...the should have just stuck to AB, Zooropa, Pop and the B-Sides. There was more than enough quality material to fill out two discs. Clearly, U2 wasn't confident enough in the material and thought they had to throw a couple more recent hits to move it off the shelves. This was a mistake, IMO.

They should never have released, U218, and just kept with the compilation series as it was. And if they do ever put out a 00-10 compilation (doubt it), I'm sure those ATYCLB tracks would reappear.

I agree 100%. U2 was in a different and very un-90s place when it came time to make the second Best Of. They didn't really understand that side of their music at that moment. Which is why The Edge famously said that he didn't think The Fly had aged well! :ohmy:

I agree 100%. U2 was in a different and very un-90s place when it came time to make the second Best Of. They didn't really understand that side of their music at that moment. Which is why The Edge famously said that he didn't think The Fly had aged well! :ohmy:

Yeah, they were in a different place, but they had to include ATYCLB songs on it given the parameters of the album.

I'm not sure why it makes no sense to have ATYCLB tracks on the 1990-2000 best of.

They sound absolutely nothing like anything else on the disc. Put it to you another way: it's absolutely absurd to leave Beautiful Day off of a 2000-2010 best of. Far stranger than omitting it from an album chock full of Numbs and Discotheques.

Here's a question: why wasn't Night And Day on the 1980-1990 bonus disc?

Yeah, they were in a different place, but they had to include ATYCLB songs on it given the parameters of the album.

No, they really didn't. It was a definitional choice. They could have decided 1990-2000 included up until 2000 rather than up until 2001. And they should have. The two 00s songs didn't fit with what was going on in the 90s.

And, they way that they structured things suggested it would be up until rather than inclusive. The first was 80-90, the second was 90-00. Had there been a 1990 album, I don't think the songs would have been on both albums.

The most bonehead part of the tracklisting was omitting "Please", probably one of the two or three best songs of the 90s, in favor of "The First Time" and songs from 2000. (Well, that and the new mixes, including the awful mix of "Numb".)

Edited to add: Oh, I forgot that there were songs from 2002 or 2003 on the Best of 1990-2000... that was even stupider...

This thread being bumped got me thinking. I know the original post over a year ago was a hoax, but does anybody think it's possible that we'll end up getting something like this at some point this year? They released the best of 1990-2000 in 2002, a year removed from Elevation Tour.

I know U2 18 satisfied the third compilation album contractual obligation, but it still makes some degree of sense to release 2000-2010. U2 18 was a different animal entirely, pretty much promoting the U2 by U2 book and just getting out the 16 biggest hits on one CD. From a collector's point of view, it'd be kind of odd to have the Best of 1980-1990, 1990-2000, but have no Best of 2000-2010.

It'd also give them something to release a full band version of North Star and Mercy on as well, sort of similar to releasing Electrical Storm and Hands on the previous one. Except NS and Mercy would actually make more sense since they'd have been written in the time period.

Anyway, it's complete speculation, but my guess is that something like this and/or a remastered Pop (15 years) are the only chances at any type of release this year.

This thread being bumped got me thinking. I know the original post over a year ago was a hoax, but does anybody think it's possible that we'll end up getting something like this at some point this year? They released the best of 1990-2000 in 2002, a year removed from Elevation Tour.

I know U2 18 satisfied the third compilation album contractual obligation, but it still makes some degree of sense to release 2000-2010. U2 18 was a different animal entirely, pretty much promoting the U2 by U2 book and just getting out the 16 biggest hits on one CD. From a collector's point of view, it'd be kind of odd to have the Best of 1980-1990, 1990-2000, but have no Best of 2000-2010.

It'd also give them something to release a full band version of North Star and Mercy on as well, sort of similar to releasing Electrical Storm and Hands on the previous one. Except NS and Mercy would actually make more sense since they'd have been written in the time period.

Anyway, it's complete speculation, but my guess is that something like this and/or a remastered Pop (15 years) are the only chances at any type of release this year.

ASSUMING there is no surprise coming later this year, I think this would make some sense. They have a lot of tracks that were played live which they could consider, also maybe a final version of Winter?

popacrobat said:

I'd much prefer the Pop remaster. Though I do agree with the rest of your post.

A hitch is Stuck and Beautiful Day. They were already on the 1990-2000 disc, but it'd be silly to exclude Beautiful Day.

There also haven't been enough hits since 2000. Regardless, it's something I'd wanna see.

ASSUMING there is no surprise coming later this year, I think this would make some sense. They have a lot of tracks that were played live which they could consider, also maybe a final version of Winter?

yes, that's what I was thinking. Like Globo said though, no Beautiful Day and Stuck makes it a bit tougher, since those were two of the bigger hits/critical acclaim of this decade.

I think you can pinch out 16 songs, something like:

Elevation
Walk On
Kite
In A Little While
Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't...
City of Blinding Lights
Original of the Species
Magnificent
I'll Go Crazy If I don't...
Moment of Surrender
Boots
Breathe/No Line

That's at what, 13? Then you can roll with studio versions Mercy and North Star since they received a good amount of a play on the 360 tour, and a final version of Winter too and you're at 16.

yes, that's what I was thinking. Like Globo said though, no Beautiful Day and Stuck makes it a bit tougher, since those were two of the bigger hits/critical acclaim of this decade.

I think you can pinch out 16 songs, something like:

Elevation
Walk On
Kite
In A Little While
Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't...
City of Blinding Lights
Original of the Species
Magnificent
I'll Go Crazy If I don't...
Moment of Surrender
Boots
Breathe/No Line

That's at what, 13? Then you can roll with studio versions Mercy and North Star since they received a good amount of a play on the 360 tour, and a final version of Winter too and you're at 16.

They could get generous and include Return of The Stingray Guitar and Glastonbury if they want, maybe even a "live" Boy Falls From the Sky to represent Spiderman. They COULD even toss in Rise Above 1, if they wanted. I do suspect Every Breaking Wave is SOA or nowhere though. That seems to be a cornerstone of that album.

EDIT: Oh wait, Spiderman was 2011. Nevermind....

They could just put BD and Stuck on a new compilation as well. For this one, they could include the acoustic version of Stuck and one of many live versions of Beautiful Day (probably the Super Bowl performance).

If it's based on recent material, it would make more sense to call it The Worst of U2. Just imagine the ads:

Remember that awesome Irish combo of cool rockers who used to scorn corporate sponsorship and had the courage of their convictions? In their place comes this band of Mary J. Blige-lovin', Superbowl playing, George Bush-huggin', "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"-writin' bunch of guys who take 6 years to produce 45 minutes of over-produced music and then hawk it to the lowest-common denominator audience with the biggest carbon-footprint, corporate-sponsored, overblown stage show the human mind could possibly imagine? At CD stores now!

They could just put BD and Stuck on a new compilation as well. For this one, they could include the acoustic version of Stuck and one of many live versions of Beautiful Day (probably the Super Bowl performance).

Yeah they could just about get away including live 'bonus' tracks on another best of:

1. COBL
2. Vertigo
3. Elevation
4. SYCMIOYO
5. Magnificent
6. North Star (new song)
7. GOYB
8. Kite
9. OOTS
10. ABOY
11. Crazy Tonight
12. Walk On
13. Mercy (new song)
14. Moment Of Surrender
15. Beautiful Day (Live)
16. Stuck In a Moment (acoustic version)

I betcha they choose Magnificent as track one, as a comment on what they think of the decade's work, just like when they chose "Even Better Than the Real Thing" for 1990-2000 and "Pride" for 1980-1990.

I betcha they choose Magnificent as track one, as a comment on what they think of the decade's work, just like when they chose "Even Better Than the Real Thing" for 1990-2000 and "Pride" for 1980-1990.

Stuck In A Moment would fit better in that role than would Magnificent.

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In A Moment
3. Elevation
4. Walk On
5. Kite
6. Vertigo
7. SYCMIOYO
8. COBL
9. All Because of You
10. OOTS
11. Magnificent
12. MOS
13. GOYB
14. Crazy Tonight
15. Winter
16. Mercy

This isn't hard to do, and there are enough hits to justify a purchase, if you include BD and Stuck. If you wouldn't, well, you probably aren't working for a record label.

The second disc could just be a compilation of b-sides like NLOTH2 and Neon Lights that would run about 10 tracks. Then they can paste U2 Communication in there or whatever. $$$$$$

Beautiful Day & Stuck are probably the 2 biggest hits from the 00s, along with Vertigo. Stuck doesn't get enough credit, but it was actually a VERY popular song that even casual fans know and remember very well. They WILL be on the Best of album, should there be one. NOBODY would buy it without those songs on it. I wonder if they will release something like that this fall, considering they haven't released any new material in 3 years, and this fall isn't looking good for a new album.

My tracklisting:
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a moment
Elevation
Walk On
Kite
The Ground beneath her feet
Vertigo
All because of you
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
City of blinding lights
Original of the species
Get on your boots
I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight
Magnificent
Moment of surrender
Mercy (new version)
North Star

Mercy and North Star are obviously songs that the band will not be putting on the next album, but would probably still like to release in some way. "Glastonbury" is probably gone for good, and "Every Breaking Wave" is hopefully still in the running for the next album.

I forgot about The Ground Beneath Her Feet. That one would basically be the Miss Sarajevo of the 00s comp, possibly introducing some new fans to that modern classic.

My 16

1. Mercy
2. Walk On
3. Vertigo
4. Window in the Skies
5. Magnificent
6. Elevation (Tomb Raider mix)
7. City of Blinding Lights
8. Get on Your Boots
9. Winter (final version)
10. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
11. Kite
12. Crazy Tonight
13. Original of the Species
14. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
15. Moment of Surrender
16. North Star

Disc 2

1. Return of the Stingray Guitar
2. Winter (linear)
3. Stuck in a Moment (acoustic)
4. Neon Lights
5. Are You Gunna Wait Forever?
6. Crazy Tonight (Fish out of Water)
7. NLOTH 2
8. Soon
9. Fast Cars
10. Instant Karma
11. Big Girls Are Best
12. GOYB (Fish Out of Water mix)
13. Crazy Tonight (Live)
14. Magnificent (Unreleased Will.I.Am mix)
15. GOYB (Justice Mix)
16. Ave Maria (Jacknife Lee Mix)

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In A Moment
3. Elevation
4. Walk On
5. Kite
6. Vertigo
7. SYCMIOYO
8. COBL
9. All Because of You
10. OOTS
11. Magnificent
12. MOS
13. GOYB
14. Crazy Tonight
15. Winter
16. Mercy

This isn't hard to do, and there are enough hits to justify a purchase, if you include BD and Stuck. If you wouldn't, well, you probably aren't working for a record label.

The second disc could just be a compilation of b-sides like NLOTH2 and Neon Lights that would run about 10 tracks. Then they can paste U2 Communication in there or whatever. $$$$$$

5 tracks from All That? No thanks... And then why would anyone ever need to buy the album ever again?

1. Soon
2. Magnificent
3. City of Blinding Lights
4. Vertigo
5. Elevation (Tomb Raider)
6. Get on Your Boots
7. I'll Go Crazy (Album version) (I'd put the remix on disc 2)
8. Original of the Species
9. Stuck in a Moment (acoustic)
10. Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
11. All Because of You
12. No Line on The Horizon
13. Boy Falls from the Sky
14. Mercy
15. Window in the Skies
16. North Star
17. Moment of Surrender
18. Winter (final)

Best of 2000-2010:

1) No Line on the Horizon
2) Magnificent
3) Moment of Surrender
4) Unknown Caller
5) I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
6) Get on Your Boots
7) Stand Up Comedy
8) Fez - Being Born
9) White as Snow
10) Breathe
11) Cedars of Lebanon

5. Elevation (Tomb Raider)
6. Get on Your Boots
7. I'll Go Crazy (Album version) (I'd put the remix on disc 2)
10. Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
11. All Because of You
13. Boy Falls from the Sky
15. Window in the Skies
16. North Star
18. Winter (final)

These songs belong in a 'Worst Of' compilation.

Back
Top Bottom