What my friend had to say about WITS...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
I just thought I'd share this with you fellow U2 aficionado's.... keep in mind, this is coming from a casual U2 fan. I shared a copy of the song to see if he liked it or not.

"oh wait, you mean about the U2 song?? yeah i got that. I listened to the song, i like it, but they're really getting away from harder stuff. I like vertigo more than say miracle drug. This seems kinda like miracle drug - kinda soft. But otherwise it's good.

-John

p.s. studying sucks"

Well I live with my brother and he likes U2 (not nearly the way I do) so just with having me around he knows more about them than the average person, he's seen all the dvd's and ehard all the songs and he honestly likes them and has no motive to look for reasons to knock the band. Having said that he thinks the new song sucks and is well below U2 standards. Personally I don't think it sucks but I do agree it's well below U2 standards. And to be honest I don't think the arguement that an average U2 song is better than most abnds best sonsg can apply in this case. The song just isn't that great. I have no desire to rush out and show my non U2 fans this paticular song.:(

A friend of mine who likes U2 but isn't a hardcore fan says the same - "They just need to rock again."

My boyfriend can kind of take or leave U2, but he thinks the new song is the strongest they've had in some years.

For what it's worth.

Niceman said:
My room-mate commented; "When are they gonna rock again?"

But, he's an idiot; mostly....

Was he not alive in 2004?

Vertigo was as rock as anything they've put out.

All Because Of You might just be their heaviest song ever.

:huh:

I don't see how WITS means U2 will not :rockon: again. They always have 2 or 3 rockers on their albums.

???

Saints kinda rocks doesn't it?

I mean, of the 2 new songs we get, 1 is a collaboration that rocks, one is a pretty solid melodic adventure. Not bad, I'd say!

I want to know when they're going to have an all rock album again, don't get me worng I loved Bomb, but it seems it wasn't the best for the general public or plenty of hardcore fans.

powerhour24 said:
I want to know when they're going to have an all rock album again, don't get me worng I loved Bomb, but it seems it wasn't the best for the general public or plenty of hardcore fans.

Have U2 ever produced an all rock album? Certainly not Achtung Baby, certainly not Pop.

Zooropa man said:
No, it's good... but I found it interesting that he thought that they are getting a bit soft on music.

This song is "soft", but if U2 are the modern day Beatles, then look at how many "soft" songs the Beatles did. For every "Revolution", there was a "Here Comes the Sun". For every "Hard Day's Night" there was a "Yesterday".

And just like the Beatles had their more "out there" moments with songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever" or "I Am the Walrus", U2 have had "Acrobat" and "Mofo".

It's clear that U2 are heavily influenced by the Beatles - they have been for decades. And WITS has a very strong Beatles influence - so strong it just leaps out.

As such, I have no problems with U2's "softer" moments.

But I admit, I too long for more rocking songs. I'd love an album where we have half the songs or more be like the first halves of both ATYCLB and HTDAAB while skipping over some of the songs on the second halves (I said "some", not all). If they go slower, WITS or songs like "One" or "Kite" are great. But forget the "A Man and a Woman" or "One Step Closer" or "Grace" type of songs. Save those for b-sides. I'd like one more harder album before U2 get a bit too old to "rock". :)

roy said:

Have U2 ever produced an all rock album? Certainly not Achtung Baby, certainly not Pop.

Personally I'd consider War and AB about the closest they got to an all rock album.

U2girl said:

Personally I'd consider War and AB about the closest they got to an all rock album.

Maybe War, but Two Hearts... is such a pop song designed to be a hit. I totally disagree about AB though, to me EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways, TTTYAATW, WGRYWH & UV are all baltent pop songs. :shrug:

I meant the sound and the politics and the passionate attitude on War and the and themes on AB are rock. (plus AB has lots of riffs and solos, maybe more than any other U2 album)

U2girl said:
I meant the sound and the politics and the passionate attitude on War and the and themes on AB are rock. (plus AB has lots of riffs and solos, maybe more than any other U2 album)

The songs off AB that I mentioned don't have many solos that I can remember, maybe a few light riffs, but I don't think that makes those particular songs...rock.

AB may not be hard-rocking but it's hardly pop music in terms of the lyrics at the very least. War outside of "40" is a very rocking album as well.

October and War are the only 2 U2 albums that could resemble rock and you would still need a very lively imagination

so I'm happy that after 20+ years your friend caught on!
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom