What Kind Of Fan Are You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Optimist Or Pessimist?

• The Glass Is Half Full; Early 2009 Release date, Tour starts before the Winter

Votes: 211 80.2%
  • The Glass Is Half Empty; Late 2009 Release date; Tour doesn't start until 2010

Votes: 52 19.8%

• Total voters

elevated_u2_fan

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm genuinely curious as to what the general opinion is.

Now that we know the new album isn't coming out until 2009 are you an optimist about it (Early 2009) or a pessimist (Late 2009)?

There really are only two choices; anything before July is early, anything after is late...

I'm going to be optimistic about this myself...

Unless we hear that Paul is fired then it's probably going to be late 2009 :sad:

This better be an amazing album; and hopefully long too; seriously with all those songs U2 need to either release a Double Album, A long album (60 minutes +) along with an EP or a tonne of b-sides

Seriously they can't leave us waiting 5 years for 10 songs

"But early next year people will be able to start hearing what we’ve been doing. We want 2009 to be our year, so we’re going to start making an impression very early on" … keep this in mind.

"But early next year people will be able to start hearing what we’ve been doing. We want 2009 to be our year, so we’re going to start making an impression very early on" … keep this in mind.

Keep in mind...Bono said that.

I would not be surprised if they waited till 2010 for the damn tour :tsk:

But I do hope there is something before winter :hyper:

Exactly. Why is it so hard to believe that the album could be released in the first quarter of 2009? Sheesh.

With this talk, I wouldn't even be surprised if we got the album in January. If they want 2009 to be their year, why would they wait until November of 2009 to put it out? The year that they want to be "their year" would be practically over.

Optimistic.

I'd say early 2009 if for no other reason that would be similar to what they did the last two times a Fall album was delayed.

Pessimist.

$$$$$$$$$$$$ + "artistic inspiration" = November 2009.

LM, you're bringin me down man. And you were dead wrong about the album coming out this November so, no offense, I hope you're dead wrong again and we get the album in early '09.

With this talk, I wouldn't even be surprised if we got the album in January. If they want 2009 to be their year, why would they wait until November of 2009 to put it out?

Why would they not release the album in November when they said the album was finished multiple times? Why should this quote be considered any more accurate?

Why would they not release the album in November when they said the album was finished multiple times? Why should this quote be considered any more accurate?

To be unpredictable? Cos they know people here are watching their every move! lol.

Isn't this the first official announcement coming from U2.com? I would think that would mean it should be considered more accurate.

Isn't this the first official announcement coming from U2.com? I would think that would mean it should be considered more accurate.

So we should just sweep all of the news from the past 6 months under the rug because U2.com said so? No. Something doesn't add up here, at all. I think there are a few possibilities:

A. They're telling us the truth, and they want to compile more material, though they already have enough for several albums.

B. They're lying to us, and buying themselves some time to actually finish the album for real.

C. They're lying to us, and intend to pull a surprise release later in the year.

The Glass Is Half Empty; Late 2009 Release date; Tour doesn't start until 2010
Sorry.

I like option C. the best

Who wouldn't? I think the chances of it are slim at best, but possible. Hell, if they could toss out months of hype on an artistic whim, why not drop the album a couple months early, especially if B is also true?

I believe that an album can be sucessfull without being released on Xmas fall, so: McGuinness - you should know, as an experienced businessman, that these things are not maths and not always a masterplan of marketing works. Everything depends on the context and environment that it is lived.

Strange hypothesis: album in February/early March (when the big names don't release... they almost always prefer to wait to April-June) and tour in April with the album already ready and print a few weeks ago and the rehearsals already done too in several sessions between January-March.

Keep in mind...Bono said that.

You scofffed at that Edge interview too - if you don't believe band members...

Now for the options you stated :

A. They're telling us the truth, and they want to compile more material, though they already have enough for several albums.

B. They're lying to us, and buying themselves some time to actually finish the album for real.

C. They're lying to us, and intend to pull a surprise release later in the year.

I'm going with sort of a mix of A and B - it is the truth, and they want either more material just for the sake of it as Bono seems to indicate or they just- as Edge said in that recent article about "fitting it all in a cohesive collection" - want more great material to be able to choose from to get it right. C is just bizarre - we're releasing it in November this year but we're saying otherwise because we like to mess with our fans. :huh:

Saying this in September 2008 "But early next year people will be able to start hearing what we’ve been doing. We want 2009 to be our year, so we’re going to start making an impression very early on" is completely nonsensical if you plan to release your album in November 2009.

Early 2009.

And they never said the album was finished. Fans were saying that, there was speculation, Band members didn't say it, they were only talking about the progress.

I still think there will be a tour starting in 2009.

Early 2009.

And they never said the album was finished. Fans were saying that, there was speculation, Band members didn't say it, they were only talking about the progress.

I still think there will be a tour starting in 2009.

McGuiness said October-November several times. Adam and Lanois said they were virtually done in July.

There should be another voting option for the conspiracy theorists/ultra-optimists: glass completely full--it's an elaborate hoax to pull a surprise album and avoid early, illegal downloads.

howz about someone make friends with SNL's booking person, and find out if/when they are booked to appear next :happy:

<<<runs out

Back
Top Bottom