What if the NEW single...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is ridiculous :rolleyes:- forget the damn chord progression! you're breaking down the music to a point where all you think about is the stupid chord progression....listen to both songs back to back! regardless of the chord progression, the songs are different! they have a different feel, different objective, different message, different overall sound, different textures, effects....to say that this song "is a poor effort" after 4 years is just foolish. Why? Because you hear the same chord progression? Instead of focusing on the chord progression, forget about that, and listen to the song as a whole...

Rob33 said:
this is ridiculous :rolleyes:- forget the damn chord progression! you're breaking down the music to a point where all you think about is the stupid chord progression....listen to both songs back to back! regardless of the chord progression, the songs are different! they have a different feel, different objective, different message, different overall sound, different textures, effects....to say that this song "is a poor effort" after 4 years is just foolish. Why? Because you hear the same chord progression? Instead of focusing on the chord progression, forget about that, and listen to the song as a whole...

there are two different types of people that listen to music, and the rare exception that hears both.

I don't think I ever want to know that much about chord progressions.. I just want the music.
I love Walk On and Crumbs.. and don't hear what some hear in regards to the two..
so I guess that makes me a type - me.
Liking that just fine mind ya :wink:

Yeah, with all the dissecting of songs it's no wonder people are getting disillusioned. I would never want to analyze things to the point where it's taking all the magic and excitement away.

Hi all

Im hoping for another Achtung Baby or even a Zooropa in that I want an album where the band experiments with different sounds. I want to here this new album for the first time and think wow is this U2. I remember when I first heard the songs Zooropa, Numb, The Fly I was blown out of the water. U2 were at there most creative and experimental during the Achtung Baby and Zooropa era.

IMO HTDAAB is a week album with week songs. I cant believe Bono and The Edge think that HTDAAB is there best album.

I also want the new album to have an album cover without a photo of the band on it. They need to be creative with the new album cover.

Anyway heres hoping for a new album that sh*ts all over HTDAAB.

SecretFly

Forget it, they won't repeat AB, let alone Zooropa. Thank God, times have changed.

I'm sick of people always saying: I want this and I want that, instead of having some trust and patience and being excited about any new music that comes from this band. They shouldn't listen to anyone and do what they want to do and what they feel is the best for them at this stage.

last unicorn said:
Forget it, they won't repeat AB, let alone Zooropa. Thank God, times have changed.

I'm sick of people always saying: I want this and I want that, instead of having some trust and patience and being excited about any new music that comes from this band. They shouldn't listen to anyone and do what they want to do and what they feel is the best for them at this stage.

:up: I agree completely :)

Just because you like the sound of Zooropa doesn't mean U2 should go back to that sound...they'll do whatever they want, and if you don't like it, then get rid of their CD's and never listen to them again, they don't need you if your loyalty isn't there...

they aren't some garage band just getting started, going around trying to please everyone, they do what they want, and that's it...

Last edited:
The Sad Punk said:
Rather they'd repeat Zooropa than HTDAAB, though - don't you think?

If by repeat you mean allow for the same sort of creativity and spontaneity from which Zooropa was bred then I wholeheartedly agree. HTDAAB was not anywhere near what my expectations were, given the nature of the hype surrounding 'punk rock on Venus' or whatever the exact quote was. Hopefully they still realize it takes a lot to change direction. They've done it before with Eno and Lanois, so maybe that bodes well?

I would be irritated if this album sounded like Zooropa, but I'd very much like the same balls that it took to make that album. I know they're 45 year old balls with wives/ fiances and kids, haha, but I still hope they have it in them for another creative album.

Needle_Chill said:

HTDAAB was not anywhere near what my expectations were, given the nature of the hype surrounding 'punk rock on Venus' or whatever the exact quote was

Eh...I tought the 'punk rock on Venus' quote was stated over 18 months before the actual album came out????

I have no problem with people criticising U2 for misrepresentation but in this insatnce it could only be the case if it was quoted within a couple of month of the release.

If by repeat you mean allow for the same sort of creativity and spontaneity from which Zooropa was bred then I wholeheartedly agree.

That's what I meant. I don't want the new album to sound the same as the earlier stuff, but I want some good, fearless music.

roy said:

Eh...I tought the 'punk rock on Venus' quote was stated over 18 months before the actual album came out????

Yes, with a different producer and before the album changed direction.

Back
Top Bottom