what do you (right now) expect the new album to be like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
i imagine an album in the same vein as atyclb and htdaab, but not as u2-sounding as atyclb and not as hard as htdaab.

its gonna be a very melodic album, very beatlesque, with multiple hit ballads. nearly every song will contain a strong, catchy chorus.

u2 is (for the first time ever) gonna experiment heavily with other instruments. edge will play quite traditional sixties-sounding guitar figures and the band will use strings, horns, piano and hapsichords, hand-clap, etc.

what do you expect?

I think Window in the Skies shows us a couple of things: U2 can use the piano a little more and Bono might use the falsetto a little more. Other than that, I don't expect a whole album of light-hearted stuff like that. There's still a lot to be said.

I'm thinking they make a significantly better album than the average Bomb and the terrible ATYCLB. I think this one uses a little more experimentation. They will have multiple hit singles, but some album songs that will please the "new U2" haters.

I figure The Edge will be on fire. I figure Bono wants us to get down on our knees. I think Larry will give you the stink-eye. I think Adam will get naked on the cover again. I think they will do a charity single with Bruce Springsteen and a quarter of banjo players.

But most of all, the album will definitely have a six-word title. Something like "This One Completes the Fourth Trilogy" or "How to Kneel as One Soul."

Judging by the beach clips, expecting it just to *ahem* slide on the surface of things. Catchy tunes that will get stuck in my head, but nothing really to chew on.

I expect the new album to be a source of more hatred on this forum

which basically means that I expect it to have music on it

maybe if U2 would decide not to release it it would become an instant classic over here

I think we're going to have elements of everything they've dabbled in lately, namely:
Rap (Kanye)
Zydeco (MR)
the Beatles (Abbey Road)
piano (Bono's lessons)
mascara (Billie, although I notice he's now rocking an Adam in the 90s look)

One thing is certain: the next album will be again a division between fans and there'll always be some people who'll claim that U2 are lame/cashgrabbers/uninovative/etc. U2 reached a point where they can't get back.

What I expect of U2's next album...
I think that the next album will be influenced by two main lines:

1) it'll be a Beatles album! WITS, Abbey Road and U2's actual status is a great clue of what U2 is now and of what SOME people see theirselves now.
I'd like to see this influence more attached to the post-1965 era.

2) a bunch of songs will be daring again and they will be innovative and present some new stuff. In the beach clips, the unworked songs have deja-vu feeling, but on the other hand they seem to be on the way to developp into something risky, maybe with loud and psycadelic guitars (The Beatles again?), or different percursion than the typical Walk On/UTEOTW one.

Plus, I've said one thing once or twice here in the forum, but nobody payed attention to it. I'd really like to see on the next tour the U2 members getting in the stage dressed as The Beatles (Sgt Peppers' era, eg.) like claiming that they're "the new Beatles" and maybe getting megalomaniac and presumptuous again, but in a daring and controversial way. That'd be just great!:drool:

U2Man said:

u2 is (for the first time ever) gonna experiment heavily with other instruments. edge will play quite traditional sixties-sounding guitar figures and the band will use strings, horns, piano and hapsichords, hand-clap, etc.

what do you expect?

I actually wouldn't mind this at all, it will be very interesting to see what happens.

I expect it to sound most like "402" and "All my life", still somewhat melodic but more guitar driven.

If it is with Rubin, I will expect a punk, rock, pop album. More mainstream then slip stream in the instrumental approach.
I hope that the Edge, Adam and Larry really push there abilities as Musicians and hope for and technical tour de force more then anything else.:drool

Will Rubin come to Abbey Road? Do we even know if it is Abbey Road?

I expect a pleasant surprise, since all these talking about the new album doesn´t excite me at all (Bee Gees/Eagles influence, melody-driven, Window in the Skies...)

@Aygo: ???
someone asked what someone expect from the new album, so my answer was as it was above. do you have any problem with my answer? that is no spam! that is my honest opinion to the question.
yes i expect another lukewarm pop-album, but i hope they will do another rock album - someday - i hope i hope i hope
:rockon:

I expect Pop part 2, they won't manage to respect their "we want to write melodies" original idea.

U2Man said:
i imagine an album in the same vein as atyclb and htdaab, but not as u2-sounding as atyclb and not as hard as htdaab.

its gonna be a very melodic album, very beatlesque, with multiple hit ballads. nearly every song will contain a strong, catchy chorus.

what do you expect?

I hope we get this too. :up:

I think some of the arrangements will be like "Stadium Arcadium" too, atleast like tracks like "Snow"

I expect it to be more of a real "album" than the last couple collections of songs were.

From Bono's comments, I believe they are aware that the last two were not more than the sum of their parts and they'll try to do better at making the songs feel connected this time out.

Beyond that, I am expecting some strong melody work, piano, and some new sounds.

Re: Re: what do you (right now) expect the new album to be like?

LemonMacPhisto said:

I think some of the arrangements will be like "Stadium Arcadium" too, atleast like tracks like "Snow"

Good God----I hope the lyrics are better. :yuck:

I'm thinking something not too dissimilar from HTDAAB (to keep that album trilogy thing they've got going on)... HOWEVER!

They really need to put out a :censored:ing jazz album. C'mon, Edge... you've been spending so much time w/ New Orleans, you've got the Music Rising campaign going on... let some of those influences show! U2 really work well, IMO, when they bring about the best of their influences (first starting with old-style American blues in Joshua Tree, euro-dance of Achtung Baby, ...themselves in ATYCLB).

U2 = :love:
Jazz = :drool:

U2 + Jazz = :combust:

Catman said:
I'm thinking something not too dissimilar from HTDAAB (to keep that album trilogy thing they've got going on)... HOWEVER!

They really need to put out a :censored:ing jazz album. C'mon, Edge... you've been spending so much time w/ New Orleans, you've got the Music Rising campaign going on... let some of those influences show! U2 really work well, IMO, when they bring about the best of their influences (first starting with old-style American blues in Joshua Tree, euro-dance of Achtung Baby, ...themselves in ATYCLB).

U2 = :love:
Jazz = :drool:

U2 + Jazz = :combust:

Yes!

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154134&highlight=jazz

U2Man said:
i cannot see a jazz album coming up.

I cannot either. Because it won't sell well. Look at the MDH soundtrack. I doubt it sold as well as even Pop.

They'd rather just change their names to John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr and release the next album under the name of The Beatles.

Back
Top Bottom