Waves of Sorrow stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfwill23

War Child
I don't know if this is a work in progress or considered a finished song. But...it stinks. If this is the new direction they're going, I'm scared.

Enough with music about Africa. PLEASE! And enough on the nose lyrics. Bono is best when he's singing in metaphors. (So Cruel is a GREAT example of near perfect, metaphor-type, picture painting lyrics.)

So go ahead and start your bashing. But deep down inside, you know in your heart, that this song is no where near the quality we got from U2 pre-2000. Denial just ain't a river in Egypt.

Bash away.

Peace.

You should have looked into it more before you posted as this is an unfinished Joshua Tree song not a song in their "new direction".
I think overall it is a great song. Not a chart topper but its not bad. It was not even released on an actual album but rather on the extended disk so its not like they meant it to be a huge album song.

The Sad Punk said:
Ignorance ain't just a lake in Jordan, either.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: :lol:

SP, dude, that completed my night, I'm dead tired, but I couldn't help but laugh at that one :up:

this song does not bother me!
but you want to know what stinks?

window in the sky (anyone actually listen to that)
and elevation, probably u2's worst song ever! and they still play that crap live! wow

remember when they wrote good songs. ex
bad,wowy,one,stay,please. it ends there sorry!

Firstly the song is not a resemblance of their new direction - it is a song from many years ago that is being used as promo for the re-release of the JT. You've not read up on this obviously...get your facts right.

Secondly - it's good to hear them playing some revamped/new stuff.

Peace.

I kind of agree with the original poster. WOS is a bit wishy washy IMO. It's okay, but I can't help but think it's almost a parody of themselves. With AB, they really wanted to stop looking backwards and move forwards into new territory. I thought we were heading for a similar vibe again, but all the retrospective behaviour does make me feel a bit uneasy, especially since the vocals on WOS are new and they played it live at the weekend.

I can't help but think that Bono thinks it's better than it actually is, especially lyrically...

There is a real sense on this board that as soon as something 'new' comes out it's automatically great just because people are excited about it. Then we get a levelling off of opinion, then we get negative. Read some of the posts about Vertigo when that first leaked, they are ridiculous! And I'm guilty of that too.

Lets have some more dark poetry and metaphorical, timeless lyrics, and less literal pondering on the state of the world please Bono. And lets crank up the experimentation musically...:drool:

shaun vox said:
this song does not bother me!
but you want to know what stinks?

window in the sky (anyone actually listen to that)
and elevation, probably u2's worst song ever! and they still play that crap live! wow

this is one of the most senseless comments I've ever seen on interference...congratulations :rolleyes:

as for WOS, I think it's a fine song...and I disagree with the "Bono think's it's greater than it is" opinion...first of all...isn't it natural to be excited about a song that they began writing 20 years ago, and finally finished to release in 2007? I'm glad Bono is excited about it, the more excitement from Bono about the music, the better :yes:

WOS isn't the greatest song ever, and it isn't by any means the new direction...appreciate it for what it is!

sheesh

Threads like this seem very very familar :|

the only thing that stinks is the fact that a couple of people, are once again saying that just because they dont like the song, the band shouldnt use them.

ignorance at it's very best.

KUEFC09U2 said:
Threads like this seem very very familar :|

the only thing that stinks is the fact that a couple of people, are once again saying that just because they dont like the song, the band shouldnt use them.

ignorance at it's very best.

Thank you, I appreciate the help :yes:

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

Threads like this one are useless and sensless. A song doesn't "stink" just because someone doesn't like it. If you don't like it, it's okay, but don't be so arrogant to tell us what we are supposed to know "deep down inside" and "in our hearts", because THAT stinks. :|

shaun vox said:

What about that song that you covered, what song was that? Oh yeah 'Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own'.

wolfwill23 said:

Enough with music about Africa. PLEASE! And enough on the nose lyrics. Bono is best when he's singing in metaphors. (So Cruel is a GREAT example of near perfect, metaphor-type, picture painting lyrics.)

dude, the song is nearly all metaphor:

Heat haze rising
On hell's own hill

You wake up this morning
It took an act of will
You walk through the night
To get here today
To bring your children
To give them away

Oh... oh this cruel sun
Is daylight never done
Cruelty just begun
To make a shadow of everyone

And if the rain came
And if the rain came

Souls bent over without a breeze
Blankets on burning trees
I am sick without disease
Nobility on it's knees

And if the rain came
And if the rain came... now
Would it wash us all away
On a wave of sorrow
Wave
On a wave of sorrow

Where now the holy cities?
Where the ancient holy scrolls?
Where now Emperor Menelek?
And the Queen of Sheba's gold

You're my bride, you wear her crown
And on your finger precious stones
As every good thing now been sold

Son, of shepherd boy, now king
What wisdom can you bring?
What lyric would you sing?
Where is the music of the Seraphim?

And if the rain came
On a wave of sorrow
Wave
A wave of sorrow
Wave.

Blessed are the meek who scratch in the dirt
For they shall inherit what's left of the earth
Blessed are the kings who've left their thrones
They are buried in this valley of dry bones

Blessed all of you with an empty heart
For you got nothing from which you cannot part
Blessed is the ego
It's all we got this hour

Blessed is the voice that speaks truth to power
Blessed is the sex worker who sold her body tonight
She used what she got
To save her children's life

Blessed are you, the deaf cannot hear a scream
Blessed are the stupid who can dream
Blessed are the tin canned cardboard slums
Blessed is the spirit that overcomes

Re: Re: Waves of Sorrow stinks

Dorian Gray said:

dude, the song is nearly all metaphor:

Heat haze rising
On hell's own hill

You wake up this morning
It took an act of will
You walk through the night
To get here today
To bring your children
To give them away

Oh... oh this cruel sun
Is daylight never done
Cruelty just begun
To make a shadow of everyone

And if the rain came
And if the rain came

Souls bent over without a breeze
Blankets on burning trees
I am sick without disease
Nobility on it's knees

And if the rain came
On a wave of sorrow
Wave
On a wave of sorrow

Where now the holy cities?
Where the ancient holy scrolls?
Where now Emperor Menelek?
And the Queen of Sheba's gold

You're my bride, you wear her crown
And on your finger precious stones
As every good thing now been sold

Son, of shepherd boy, now king
What wisdom can you bring?
What lyric would you sing?
Where is the music of the Seraphim?

And if the rain came
On a wave of sorrow
Wave
A wave of sorrow
Wave.

Blessed are the meek who scratch in the dirt
For they shall inherit what's left of the earth
Blessed are the kings who've left their thrones
They are buried in this valley of dry bones

Blessed all of you with an empty heart
For you got nothing from which you cannot part
Blessed is the ego
It's all we got this hour

Blessed is the voice that speaks truth to power
Blessed is the sex worker who sold her body tonight
She used what she got
To save her children's life

Blessed are you, the deaf cannot hear a scream
Blessed are the stupid who can dream
Blessed are the tin canned cardboard slums
Blessed is the spirit that overcomes

Why have that when you can have....

Soulja Boy Off In This Hoe
Watch Me Lean And Watch Me Rock
Super Man Dat Hoe
Then Watch Me Crank Dat Robocop
Super Fresh, Now Watch Me Jock
Jocking On Them Haterz Man
When I Do Dat Soulja Boy
I Lean To The Left And Crank Dat Thang
(Now You)

I'm Jocking On Yo Bitch Ass
And If We Get The Fightin
Then I'm Cocking On Your Bitch Ass
You Catch Me At Yo Local Party
Yes I Crank It Everyday
Haterz Get Mad Cuz
"I Got Me Some Bathin Apes"

[Chorus x2]

[Verse 2:]

I'm Bouncin On My Toe
Watch Me Super Soak Dat Hoe
I'ma Pass It To Arab
Then He Gon Pass It To The Low (Low)
Haterz Wanna Be Me
Soulja Boy, I'm The Man
They Be Lookin At My Neck
Sayin Its The Rubberband Man (Man)
Watch Me Do It (Watch Me Do It)
Damn (Damn)
Let Get To It (Let Get To It)
Nope, You Can't Do It Like Me
Hoe, So Don't Do It Like Me
Folk, I See You Tryna Do It Like Me
Man That Shit Was Ugly

[Chorus x2]

[Verse 3]
I'm to clean off in this hoe
Watch Me Crack And Watch Me Roll
Watch Me Crank That Rossevelt
Then Supasoak that hoe
Supasoak that hoe (Supasoak that hoe)
I'm To Fresh Up In This Bitch
Watch Me Shuffle Watch Me Jit
Watch Me Crack Ma Shoulda Work
Then Supaman That Bitch (YUUAA)
Then Supaman That Bitch (Then Supaman That Bitch)
A YUUUAAA

[Chorus x2]

^^Why can't Bono write songs like that anymore?:(

chrissybaby said:

Lets have some more dark poetry and metaphorical, timeless lyrics, and less literal pondering on the state of the world please Bono. And lets crank up the experimentation musically...:drool:

Be careful about saying they are a parody of themselves, how many times have you mentioned "dark poetry" in your last few posts?:wink:

Dark poetry, that sounds so emo, doesn't it?

Seriously, with the exception of the ending this isn't that literal at all.

Plus how many times does it have to be mentioned? This song is 20 years old!!! Can we move on and bitch about new U2 when it's actually released...

Re: Re: Re: Waves of Sorrow stinks

U2isthebest said:

Why have that when you can have....

Soulja Boy Off In This Hoe
Watch Me Lean And Watch Me Rock
Super Man Dat Hoe
Then Watch Me Crank Dat Robocop
Super Fresh, Now Watch Me Jock
Jocking On Them Haterz Man
When I Do Dat Soulja Boy
I Lean To The Left And Crank Dat Thang
(Now You)

I'm Jocking On Yo Bitch Ass
And If We Get The Fightin
Then I'm Cocking On Your Bitch Ass
You Catch Me At Yo Local Party
Yes I Crank It Everyday
Haterz Get Mad Cuz
"I Got Me Some Bathin Apes"

[Chorus x2]

[Verse 2:]

I'm Bouncin On My Toe
Watch Me Super Soak Dat Hoe
I'ma Pass It To Arab
Then He Gon Pass It To The Low (Low)
Haterz Wanna Be Me
Soulja Boy, I'm The Man
They Be Lookin At My Neck
Sayin Its The Rubberband Man (Man)
Watch Me Do It (Watch Me Do It)
Damn (Damn)
Let Get To It (Let Get To It)
Nope, You Can't Do It Like Me
Hoe, So Don't Do It Like Me
Folk, I See You Tryna Do It Like Me
Man That Shit Was Ugly

[Chorus x2]

[Verse 3]
I'm to clean off in this hoe
Watch Me Crack And Watch Me Roll
Watch Me Crank That Rossevelt
Then Supasoak that hoe
I'm To Fresh Up In This Bitch
Watch Me Shuffle Watch Me Jit
Watch Me Crack Ma Shoulda Work
Then Supaman That Bitch (YUUAA)
A YUUUAAA

[Chorus x2]

^^Why can't Bono write songs like that anymore?:(

that kid is a prodigy :sad:

supahmane.gif

I think Bono needs to start writing his name with white-out on his Fly Shades.
"BO" on one lens and "NO" on the other.

OK, thanks for informing me that this isn't a 'new direction.' I knew they had started it way back when and just finished it. But I thought it had a chance of making it on the new record. Glad it won't be there. And hopefully it won't make the tour either.

As for all the bashers and name callers (ignorant especially) - anybody who tries to squash discussion by name calling is IGNORANT. Yes, I made a statement by saying this song 'stinks' and yes, the statement was my opinion. But to just jump on it and call the person names does not further any discussion, which is the path to truth, or at least understanding. The first thing any good dictator will do when taking power is control all the public discussion and brand dissidents by calling them names.

I may be a bit dramatic here, but I'm not just talking about calling names on this board about this topic, but it may be the same people that call names about something like this that also call names when discussing more important topics like racism, war, social issues, etc.

wolfwill23 said:
OK, thanks for informing me that this isn't a 'new direction.' I knew they had started it way back when and just finished it. But I thought it had a chance of making it on the new record. Glad it won't be there. And hopefully it won't make the tour either.

As for all the bashers and name callers (ignorant especially) - anybody who tries to squash discussion by name calling is IGNORANT. Yes, I made a statement by saying this song 'stinks' and yes, the statement was my opinion. But to just jump on it and call the person names does not further any discussion, which is the path to truth, or at least understanding. The first thing any good dictator will do when taking power is control all the public discussion and brand dissidents by calling them names.

I may be a bit dramatic here, but I'm not just talking about calling names on this board about this topic, but it may be the same people that call names about something like this that also call names when discussing more important topics like racism, war, social issues, etc.

A bit dramatic? That would be an understatement.

Especially since no one really called you a name. Pointing out ignorance isn't the same as calling someone a name. Face it, you did IGNORE some glaringly huge facts like it being 20 years old and on a b-sides compilation.

wolfwill23 said:

Carm down, people were just correcting you

wolfwill23 said:

so you hope it dosent make it to the next tour just because you dont like it? even though there will be people out there who do like it and would like to hear it? now thats what i call ignorant.

I know about as much about this songs origins as any of the other fans around here do and the OP's right, it sucks. The music sucks. The lyrics suck. The subject matter sucks. And Bono's voice sounds thin and old. And as a loyal U2 booster, that's difficult for me to say, but...

:shrug:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Be careful about saying they are a parody of themselves, how many times have you mentioned "dark poetry" in your last few posts?:wink:

Dark poetry, that sounds so emo, doesn't it?

Seriously, with the exception of the ending this isn't that literal at all.

Plus how many times does it have to be mentioned? This song is 20 years old!!! Can we move on and bitch about new U2 when it's actually released...

I guess I mean poetry like Love Is Blindness, not "i'm gonna sit crying in the corner because my girlfriend ran off with a jock..."

Did I mention dark poetry? :wink:

I was just a bit hopeful that the Fez material surely can't be like WOS, I want some real Eno type soundscapes and intelligent poetic lyric writing.

Snowlock said:
I know about as much about this songs origins as any of the other fans around here do and the OP's right, it sucks. The music sucks. The lyrics suck. The subject matter sucks. And Bono's voice sounds thin and old. And as a loyal U2 booster, that's difficult for me to say, but...

:shrug:
As a loyal U2 booster? i have seen more negative posts on your part than i have seen positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom