Volcano - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This song does remind me of "A Celebration". So it does fit in with that 1982/83 era that others have mentioned.

Trouble is, I never really liked "A Celebration" and so far, I'm not fond of this. :reject: The song really does scream of some 80's era throw-away, which were popular then. But I don't think it works in 2014.

While there are bits and pieces of the song that I like, overall, it's my least favorite on SoI. It's also a bit reminiscent of "Babyface" to me - a song that I want to like and have tried, but just don't.

Flipping through the channels and heard the bass line to this song before the commercial break on Sunday Night Football. Made me happy.

Love this song, only hate that awkward 70´s Glastonbury riff before the last choruses

Volcano
You don’t wanna, you don’t wanna know
Volcano
Something in you wants to blow

That´s simpe and great at the same time, I can relate to it very sincerly :(

This one is also growing on me. I can say now that it is better than Boots. At least it doesn't have cheesy crap like "let me in the sound" and "you don't know how beautiful you are". lol.

Volcano is still probably in my bottom 3 on this album but I *like* it more and more, although it probably won't move up in my rankings. That's how DAMN good this album is.

the bridge of Volcano is actually one of my favourite moments on the album. I actually wish it went on a little longer with that riff, they could really rock out on that one, do a sort of metal breakdown.

Rolling Stone had a pretty lame description of this song, that it was probably about how angry Bono was after his mother's passing. I seriously doubt it is about that! Nothing in the fun bass groove or the lyrics point to anything regarding Bono's mother.

Anyway, it is funny and amazing how much this song has grown on me! I find it a really catchy fun part of the album now. And with nothing really as cheesy as Vertigo or Boots. Thank goodness! Good stuff.

Rolling Stone had a pretty lame description of this song, that it was probably about how angry Bono was after his mother's passing. I seriously doubt it is about that! Nothing in the fun bass groove or the lyrics point to anything regarding Bono's mother.

Anyway, it is funny and amazing how much this song has grown on me! I find it a really catchy fun part of the album now. And with nothing really as cheesy as Vertigo or Boots. Thank goodness! Good stuff.

Well actually...

"My mother died that year, so did my grandad… After grief comes rage…the molten lava that turns to rock if it can…this kind of fire in the belly cannot sustain. If you’re lucky, it burns out before it burns you out." - Bono, Songs of Innocence 2014

Okay, but the song is rather reminiscent of INXS for me and I'm almost picturing Bono in full leather here saying stuff like "something in your mouth to blow" while intending to say "something in you wants to blow". Doesn't sound like a song about his mother. :wink::wink: Anyway, thanks for the direct quote from Bono. I'm not arguing that.

I hear what your saying as the song is much different in tone compared to something like Iris.

I initially thought the lyrics were a little throwaway but as it turns out that's not really the case.

Absolutely one of my favourites on the album; the wonderful bass groove, the tasty CHIC-esque guitars, the propulsion, the melodies...

The '2 are their grooviest, baby!!

This back-to-back with "Raised By Wolves" makes me wish they had stuck with the post-punk sound for the entire thing. Even the live performance of "Invisible" had a bit of the old chime & bells thing going. Too bad they want radio hits and brought in Tedder and Epworth.

Everything, except the way Bono says Volcano, is ok...

ED6d78X.jpg

:angry:

I've taken a 24hr break and come back to the album and Volcano has got to go. I'll stop short of saying its utter crap but it's easily the worst vocally on this album and possibly most albums before it. And it's just downright dumb. Adam's great bass part and Edge's interesting noodling during the chorus can't save this one. It's on permanent skip.

Sent from my ass crack

Back
Top Bottom