Volcano - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vol-can-o all spaced out and multi tracked just sounds silly. Nobody pronounces it that way and when you add in the different vocal tracks it gets worse. A good song let down by poor phrasing and over production.

That is what artistic license is all about. For me Volcano marks the beginning of a sequence in SOI ending with The Troubles, the concistency of which resembles those of their albums in the 90's.

That is what artistic license is all about. For me Volcano marks the beginning of a sequence in SOI ending with The Troubles, the concistency of which resembles those of their albums in the 90's.

That I agree with! The back part of this album is incredibly strong. Almost as if it's structured like the old Side A and Side B, where Side A is more immediate and Side B is where it gets all brooding and serious. Love that aspect of it.

Been out in the wild
Been out in the night
Been out of your mind
Do you live here or is this a vacation

Such a tune.

This album is FULL of potential singles. It will be hard to predict.

agree. for the first time in their career U2 has made an album where literally every song could be a single (though I'm a little baffled by their choice of The Miracle, that would have been my last choice :lol: )

Cool song, not a standout though like most of the album it's growing on me. the rock 'n roll line could really fall flat in a lesser song, but I dig it here. This song reminds me of all the current bands influenced by 80's post-punk (Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, that sort of thing). it's like U2 going, yeah we can do that sound too. cuz unlike ya'll we were actually there. :p

Vol-can-o all spaced out and multi tracked just sounds silly. Nobody pronounces it that way and when you add in the different vocal tracks it gets worse. A good song let down by poor phrasing and over production.

To me, this actually makes this song work. The analogy of a volcano works for teenage angst, but then actually putting the word 'volcano' in the song makes me want to roll my eyes, but the way it's delivered it almost gets lost and it's more about the emotion rather than the word. It's almost used more like an 'oh oh oh' or a 'sha lala' rather than a word. I have no idea if that makes sense, but it struck me upon my first listen as brilliant, because I was really bracing myself to cringe at this song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That I agree with! The back part of this album is incredibly strong. Almost as if it's structured like the old Side A and Side B, where Side A is more immediate and Side B is where it gets all brooding and serious. Love that aspect of it.

Yes, and that makes a lot of sense with the revisiting of themes from the vinyl era. I wouldn't be surprised if they were conscious about using that structure. The roar is very primal here. I'll take it.

I dont get why this song is so highly rated by you guys.
Makes me give it a few more listens to see if it improves :)

Yes, and that makes a lot of sense with the revisiting of themes from the vinyl era. I wouldn't be surprised if they were conscious about using that structure. The roar is very primal here. I'll take it.

U2 has always approached their albums as having a side a and a side b. The arc is there in every album. The one variation might be NLOTH, which had a 3 act structure.

I had the same immediate reaction to Elevation. Took some time to get to know it better. Something of a rocker is clearly there, but I just don't know how comfortable I feel about the Volcano chant part. Those Elevation woooo hoooos never made sense to me until the tour started.

You were alone
na na na na, na na na na,
and now your not alone
na na na na, na na na na.

The falsetto reminds me of Suede's Brett Anderson... ...if Volcano was Suede new material NME would talk of great return... ...but it's not so Volcano is low level muzak...

...what a bunch of elitists...

I hear funk Punk, definitely a stand out in the Album, and very commercially accessible; unbelievable that the band wouldn't pick this tune for the iPhone6 commercial; it has the potential to reel them in, add a newer generation of fans to their existing fanbase!!

I hear The Fly, (voice), black shades and all, giving a spunkier version of Lady With A Spinning Head, w/ some Vertigo guitar sounds, and the ten seconds or so of Glastonbury riff!!

Read a bit, gathered, song may be of Bono's personal angst as a teenager, his turbulent relationship with his father!!

Personal angst being the VOLCANO or

His father's temperament being the VOLCANO; ...open for interpretation!!

Homerun!! Grand Slam!! Great!!

I swear I'm not trying to pick fights when I say I just don't get it. The only parts I like are the gb part and the "in the wild" part. You guys don't think the chorus is kinda...stupid?

If it's given a Vertigo (Reprise) treatment in live performances, this will drastically drop down my list. It only works as a complement, to Vertigo.

I'm listening to the album for the first time right now, and so far I think this is my favorite. It started out sort of ho-hum but then it suddenly got great. I was sad when it ended -- I wanted more!

Listening to this one now(listening to the whole album before bed).

It has a very youthful sound with a twist of an 80s feel. Bono sounds great and that bridge......oh fuck yeah!

This is slowly climbing my list of favorite songs on this album.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I know people have criticized Bono's vocal delivery. But the sharp, angsty, sometimes staccato syncopation in Volcano/Wolves is one of my favorite parts of this album. I love the chorus in both.

Your eyes were like landing lights
They used to be the clearest blue
Now you don’t see so well
The future’s gonna land on you

The way Bono delivers that second verse along with Edge's brittle picking & Adam's sex-bass are oh so good.

To me, this actually makes this song work. The analogy of a volcano works for teenage angst, but then actually putting the word 'volcano' in the song makes me want to roll my eyes, but the way it's delivered it almost gets lost and it's more about the emotion rather than the word. It's almost used more like an 'oh oh oh' or a 'sha lala' rather than a word. I have no idea if that makes sense, but it struck me upon my first listen as brilliant, because I was really bracing myself to cringe at this song.

Absolutely, I think it makes for a clever alternative to the "woah-woah's" Bono loves so much.

Love this song, huge 1983-87 U2 vibe going on. The chorus in particular sounds like it's from a Joshua Tree b-side(and of course those a-sides could/should have been a sides!).

This song is, as others have said, straight out early 80s U2 but with a bit of a modern twist! I absolutely love it!! Gives you that youthful energy and moodiness present on songs like Surrender and The Refugee.

Back
Top Bottom