Volcano - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After the initial bass riff I'm waiting for Michael Stipe to start crooning about some southern-fried locomotive bird house

And there's a big YOU! ARE! in the lyrics, isn't there?

One of my least favorites on the album, but I don't hate it.

I dig the power to this track. It borders on Vertigo territory, but not so much that it sounds like another rewrite. It's not going to be a favorite, but enjoyable nonetheless. That's right, guys! Prove you're a rock band, still! Go get it!

I think it's infinitely better than both Elevation and Vertigo. Also better than Glastonbury.

Adam is the MVP of this song. I like this one, has a lot of power. Much better than Glastonbury.

I'm sorry but mentioning Glastonbury in this thread is an insult to Volcano. This is punkish, Boy-era U2 for me. A pleasantly surprising and energetic tune. Fuck Glastonbury.

So, uh, what is this song about?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think the lyrics are awkward in places, but its a good rock song which is very much needed.

Musically its awesome, love the guitar and bass. The small "The Fly" vocal effect added.

A song I can see myself jumping around to during a summer gig, for sure. What is it about, though?

Right now, this is my least favorite on SoI and one of my least favorite U2 tracks ever! :reject:

I will admit, though, that the album, after a few listens, has not grabbed me the way most U2 albums do.

The only other time this has happened was with Zooropa. I recall being at a record store the night it was released. The store played it over and over. I was so disillusioned by it that I found myself looking at all of the older U2 releases, wishing one of them was coming out instead. I didn't even buy the album that night!

I relented a few days later and gave it another listen. And slowly, Zooropa became one of my favorite U2 albums! There's still a few songs that make me cringe, but that's true about every U2 release.

So it is possible that SoI is that way too - and Volcano will just be my cringing song (or maybe it will transition once I hear it on concert).

Musically it's really interesting, almost epic. But Bono's singing on this song is rather cringeworthy.

For me it is Bono's singing, especially in the chorus, which makes the song so special. It's like inserting a synth-pop or even a soul interlude into a rock framework. That said, i understand your reservations.

Vol-can-o all spaced out and multi tracked just sounds silly. Nobody pronounces it that way and when you add in the different vocal tracks it gets worse. A good song let down by poor phrasing and over production.

Back
Top Bottom