Volcano - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono: Hey, did you know "volcano" rhymes with "know"?

Clooney: Bono I swear to god if you don't shut the fuck up something in me is about to blow

Bono: :hmm:

Clooney: :lock:

If only someone in the group had the sense to have said just that when he shouted out that line.

:larry:

The bass line alone (thank you Edge) is worth the admission, and the song is a good glue for the Bono oriented side 1 with the Dublin oriented side 2 of the album.

Though..."you are rock and roll/you and I are rock and roll" ending is the lowest point of the album.

The bass line alone (thank you Edge) is worth the admission, and the song is a good glue for the Bono oriented side 1 with the Dublin oriented side 2 of the album.

Though..."you are rock and roll/you and I are rock and roll" ending is the lowest point of the album.

The bass line is a big high point for sure but so is the drumming, it doesn't seem too sophisticated but it's very cool.

Mr. Mullin and Me. Clayton showed up for this one.

As someone who gets very turned off by lyrics in some U2 songs, I don't mind the lyrics in this song because of the song makes perfect sense when put into context after Iris.

I initially gave the song an 8/10 but it has settled in at a 7/10(maybe 7.5 at most). However, if they can turn this one into a live monster....well, things can change.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The bass line is a big high point for sure but so is the drumming, it doesn't seem too sophisticated but it's very cool.

Mr. Mullin and Me. Clayton showed up for this one.

As someone who gets very turned off by lyrics in some U2 songs, I don't mind the lyrics in this song because of the song makes perfect sense when put into context after Iris.

I initially gave the song an 8/10 but it has settled in at a 7/10(maybe 7.5 at most). However, if they can turn this one into a live monster....well, things can change.

I know what they meant, the end is still weak, coming in after all the tension in the verses and that great choral middle section. Surely there's gotta be a better way to express that idea.

I think much of SOI will improve live, and this song is among the prime candidates for it.

'Volcano' is similar to 'Red Light' with the "na na na.." backing vocals only better though. One of the best songs on SOI.

Just stumbled upon Glastonbury recently and it's still better than Volcano.
I do enjoy Adam's bass and "you are rock and roll" more in Volcano. And Volcano isn't a bad song, but I really like Glastonbury even though it's pretty dumb.

Just stumbled upon Glastonbury recently and it's still better than Volcano.
I do enjoy Adam's bass and "you are rock and roll" more in Volcano. And Volcano isn't a bad song, but I really like Glastonbury even though it's pretty dumb.

Really? I'm hardly a Volcano fanboy, but I think that Glastonbury would have a very high chance of winning the U2's Worst Song Award for me. Volcano is fairly bad but listenable; Glastonbury is just godawful.

Yeah, hell no. Volcano is leagues better than Glastonbury. Unlike Glastonbury, it has a functional lyrical metaphor, a great bass line and a far catchier chorus. There's nothing good about Glastonbury at all, really.

Obviously, Glasto is pretty awful. But it's entertaining and has some cool parts. "You are a pocket full of sunshine" is the worst lyric they've ever done and I laugh every time. Like I said, horribly entertaining.

Obviously, Glasto is pretty awful. But it's entertaining and has some cool parts. "You are a pocket full of sunshine" is the worst lyric they've ever done and I laugh every time. Like I said, horribly entertaining.

As bad as it is, it was a good sing along live. :wink:

This like trying to decide which is better, solid or runny poo

after just now reading through this thread, this nails it.

volcano is a permanent skip for me, and I am praying they don't play it live (although I am sure they will and probably back to back with elevation).

Back
Top Bottom