Viva Eno! But has he saved the best for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To summarize:
- You hate HTDAAB
- Dislike GOYB
- like Viva La Vida

Damn :doh:. I think you are the problem here :wink: (half kidding). Well I just hope that you are going to really HATE the new album, that's all I have to say about it.

Thank you very much for this friendly post and that for a newbe. :up:
Let's put it like this. I GARANTUEE you that if I HATE the album it will suck BIG TIME. And I don't hate HTDAAB, I just think it U2's worse outing but still better than most stuff you hear nowadays.

True, it's an opinion, but I'd say it's one where you are running against 99.99999999999% of this forum. Can I ask which album you think is the best produced?

There are few things this forum as a whole agrees on. One is that U2 shouldn't ever again perform in a Kmart. Best/Worst produced albums would be another.

Best produced albums: Joshua Tree and All That You Can't Leave Behind.
Worst produced albums: Pop and How to Dismantle Your Legacy.

I'd say pretty much everyone here would agree with that.

Really? I don't know...I'd be SHOCKED to discover that that's true.... I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with people in the real world who have brought up TO ME how bad the production was on ALL THAT....

I actually think all U2 albums were well produced EXCEPT the last two... and they were both TERRIBLY produced. I love THE BOMB, but the production is really poor, as is ALL THAT. One of the things that I (and others I've spoken to) have found most encouraging about BOOTs is that the production does appear to be a step or two better than the last two albums...

Honestly, if it did turn out that you were right and that was the consensus opinion on this board, I'd conclude you were all insane! LOL! :lol::wave:

It just seems so obviously poorly done!

I came into this thread thinking it was something new. And it was merely a speculation thread. :(

What I can Guarantee you is that if you indeed hate this album :)Pray:)it will just mean that the album OR your opinion about it suck BIG TIME.

You're welcome :wave:.

:hmm:

Been a big fan since 1984. So OR U2 sucks and I just didn't see it or you are a wannabee with a rather big mouth for such little "backup". Let's just "pray" it is only the latter. :wave:

I enjoyed Coldplay's last album, I think it's their best work to date. I was really getting bored of them before that.

I've listened to the last album dozens of times and I've come to the conclusion that while it is good, it ain't actually all that.

You might say that the musicians in Coldplay are more "natural" musicians than the members of U2.

U2 really have had to graft to get where they are today - good on them.

But being natural musicians doesn't mean heart and soul - Coldplay's last album is short on both. It fooled me to begin with, sucked me in. But then I found it out.

There's something missing and I can't put my finger on it:hmm:

What I can Guarantee you is that if you indeed hate this album :)Pray:)it will just mean that the album OR your opinion about it suck BIG TIME.

You're welcome :wave:.

great that you changed "your taste" into "your opinion about it" and then have me react to the first of the two. Cool way to have a discussion
:up:

There are a lot of big U2 fans since a long time here you know but we don't all share the same opinions. How do you explain that? The fact that you are a big fan doesn't mean that you know for sure all by your own what is a good U2 song/album and what is not. Btw the fact that you're not a newbe here doesn't mean either that your tastes are better than mine for example.

There are a lot of big U2 fans since a long time here you know but we didn't all share the same opinions. How do you explain that? The fact that you are a big fan doesn't mean that you know for sure all by your own what is a good U2 song/album and what is not. Btw the fact the fact that you're not a newbe here doesn't mean either that your tastes are better than mine for example.

First of all I never said that taste requires 1000+ post. If this was the case, well nevermind.

second of all. Taste is personal, off course. there is no denying. Judging music purely based on quality, originality etc is somehow different..I am a trained/scholared musician myself with if I dare say lot of knowledge about the musicscene. I've been a talentscout for many years and trust me, I know a good band/song when I see/hear it.

If U2 was to put out a killerrecord I would be the first to be happy so don't give me this "I pray you'll hate it" crap. that is uncalled for and stupid. If you would know me and the music I make/love you wouldn't say stupid stuff like that and that resulted in the newbe remark. Not because of taste, but because of dignity and respect. I respect everyone's opinion.I am happy if people love it while I don't eventhough I would much rather be blown away together with everyone else.

I respect your tastes and opinions but I'm just saying that mine are on the exact opposite which is strange considering the fact that we are both U2 fans but that's a possibility given the fact of how diversified their music is and sorry but a Viva La vida is the last kind of record I'm waiting for U2 right now.

The fact that you're a trained musician has nothing to do with tastes and "quality" of an opinion. Tastes are all about feeling and have nothing to do with knowledge. As a result I don't think you know more about what is a "killer record" than the next guy and the fact that you will like the next album or not will not decide if it is one or not.

I respect your tastes and opinions but I'm just saying that mine are on the exact opposite which is strange considering the fact that we are both U2 fans but that's a possibility by considering the fact of how diversified their music is and sorry but a Viva La vida is the last kind of record I'm waiting for U2 right now if ever.

The fact that you're a trained musician has nothing to do with tastes and "quality" of an opinion. Tastes are all about feeling and have nothing to do with knowledge. As a result I don't think you know more about what is a "killer record" than the next guy and the fact that you will like the next album or not will not decide if it is one or not.

taste and feeling are a bit the same but not quite.:)
originality and quality can be too but not necesarily.

when those four come together you have a winner.
Man, there are millions of songs that are original and have lot's off skilled musicianship in it and people don't care because:
A-the band is unknown
B-it is not an earcatcher

While on the other hand a silly song about a summerlove can make you dream again about a happy time during a holiday.

For me, the new song has 1 of 4. the one is called feeling and this is purely based on my love for this band. 1 out of 4 however is by far not enough for a band of this size for me. I hate this and I can not stand the fact that I can not get into their newer material. this has to do with age a lot but also because I KNOW that hey have done magic. I feel it is a bad sign when people say about a new U2 song. This and this I dont like, this [part is okay but this part RULES. that for a band with that trackrecord. you know what I mean?

we will never agree on this but that's okay. Again, this is a very difficult thing to explain. I am not trying to be arrogant, it is just....it just so difficult to explain what I mean in this case:wink:

For me GOYB is catchy (great melody even if it is a "grower") and original, more or less my definition of a great song.Even by using similar criteria, the feeling can still change from a person to another. Art is something indeed too "difficult to explain" to claim definitive assertions about "pieces of art".

For me GOYB is catchy (great melody even if it is a "grower") and original, more or less my definition of a great song. Even by using similar criteria, the feeling can still change from a person to another. Art is something indeed too "difficult to explain" to claim definitive assumptions about "pieces of art".

:up:

to think that I just wanted to state that I thought Eno did a great job on VLV and hoped for an even better production with U2

I agree with that :). Nevertheless I just hope that the record will not turn into a too Eno-ish record like Passengers.

Won't happen, trust me. their is a reason they did not dare to call passengers just a regular U2 album and although I like the record with the COOL blue room and Miss Sarajevo it is not a U2 record.:wink:

taste and feeling are a bit the same but not quite.:)
originality and quality can be too but not necesarily.

when those four come together you have a winner.
Man, there are millions of songs that are original and have lot's off skilled musicianship in it and people don't care because:
A-the band is unknown
B-it is not an earcatcher

While on the other hand a silly song about a summerlove can make you dream again about a happy time during a holiday.

For me, the new song has 1 of 4. the one is called feeling and this is purely based on my love for this band. 1 out of 4 however is by far not enough for a band of this size for me. I hate this and I can not stand the fact that I can not get into their newer material. this has to do with age a lot but also because I KNOW that hey have done magic. I feel it is a bad sign when people say about a new U2 song. This and this I dont like, this [part is okay but this part RULES. that for a band with that trackrecord. you know what I mean?

we will never agree on this but that's okay. Again, this is a very difficult thing to explain. I am not trying to be arrogant, it is just....it just so difficult to explain what I mean in this case:wink:

GOYB is brilliant

Back
Top Bottom