Viva Eno! But has he saved the best for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Christopher and Coldplay make me fucking sick.....of course that sugar coated freak Chris Martin wastes no time in bringing Eno right back into the studio the second he finishes with U2....so fucking obvious....hey maybe they'll benefit from some discarded material from the U2 sessions that Eno still has floating around in his head.....ohhh wow this makes me fucking sick :down:

Christopher and Coldplay make me fucking sick.....of course that sugar coated freak Chris Martin wastes no time in bringing Eno right back into the studio the second he finishes with U2....so fucking obvious....hey maybe they'll benefit from some discarded material from the U2 sessions that Eno still has floating around in his head.....ohhh wow this makes me fucking sick :down:

:lol::up:

Not for nothing, but the Joe Satriani song destroys Coldplay's pathetic excuse for an anthem. Coldplay should forget about being U2 and go back to being a lesser Jeff Buckley cover band (shiver is the peak of their career)

Oh thanks. What's the 7th (chord) in E Major?

What's the 5th in that chord? :)

You're missing the point.

These things happen. There are a limited number of notes available to a musician -- accidental overlap is bound to happen sometimes. I really, really, really doubt that any member of Coldplay even owns a Joe Satriani album.

This guy puts it better than I can: Joe Satriani Vs. Coldplay: A Tale Of Two Songs

Coldplay have a few good ideas, but generally they tend to be a weak U2 or Radiohead combination. Radiohead is more talented than Coldplay could ever dream of being.

You're missing the point.

These things happen. There are a limited number of notes available to a musician -- accidental overlap is bound to happen sometimes. I really, really, really doubt that any member of Coldplay even owns a Joe Satriani album.

This guy puts it better than I can: Joe Satriani Vs. Coldplay: A Tale Of Two Songs

GG,

I read the article and the guy is ridiculous.

To lend this guy credibility over Joe Satriani is to have no idea who Joe Satriani is. Satriani doesn't need to pick up an instrument to know what notes he's hearing and granted, anyone with experience can reach that level. He's way beyond that. He doesn't need the money. He was informed of this by his fans.

His fans are comprised largely of musicians. They all know it. they know how to transpose a song to a different key. They also know what chord substitutions are. That blogger can soothe the Coldplay fan with decent writing, but the content is rubbish.

I like Coldplay, but this is no conspiracy.

Viva la vida kicks the last two U2 records ass and I am a bigger u2 fan than a coldplay listener. that is why I am so happy eno is on board again, which was the original thought of this post

yup...............way better than htdaab.........but is that really saying anything?

This needs to leave WTAHAN so we can get back to our much more dignified speculation about songs we've never heard, taking-seriously of rumours from Eastern European radio stations with no credibility to speak of about tour dates that make no sense, and, of course, ranting about how Boots is the worst song made EVAR in the history of music/God's greatest gift to the world since Jesus.

Thanks for putting some sense in this madness digitize :applaud:

This needs to leave WTAHAN so we can get back to our much more dignified speculation about songs we've never heard again, taking-seriously of rumours from Eastern European radio stations with no credibility to speak of about tour dates that make no sense, and, of course, ranting about how Boots is the worst song made EVAR in the history of music/God's greatest gift to the world since Jesus.

:up: :up: :up:

I've taken to replacing the word boots in GYOB with many other words that have oo in them.

For instance, my signifigant other recently had some breast augmentation. I often ask her to "Get on your boobs".

On the occasion of a completed bowel evacuation "Get on your poop" is the term that comes to mind.

I love that song folks!

Radiohead is more talented than Coldplay could ever dream of being.

That's pretty much a no-brainer. I appreciate Coldplay for what they are -- a soft rock band with some nice hooks and a couple of really great songs here and there. There's nothing original about their sound, however, and they're not even anywhere close to being on the same plane as Radiohead or U2.

That said, I agree with the OP. Eno did some good work with them on Viva La Vida and saved the album from turning into the steaming pile of excrement that was X&Y.

GG,

I read the article and the guy is ridiculous.

To lend this guy credibility over Joe Satriani is to have no idea who Joe Satriani is. Satriani doesn't need to pick up an instrument to know what notes he's hearing and granted, anyone with experience can reach that level. He's way beyond that. He doesn't need the money. He was informed of this by his fans.

His fans are comprised largely of musicians. They all know it. they know how to transpose a song to a different key. They also know what chord substitutions are. That blogger can soothe the Coldplay fan with decent writing, but the content is rubbish.

I like Coldplay, but this is no conspiracy.

You're still missing the point. Coldplay have never been shy about praising their influences. They had no qualms over telling everyone ad infinitum that X&Y was written with posters of U2 in the room, or that they lifted the melody for "Talk" from Kraftwerk. If they deliberately took this seconds-long sequence of notes from Satriani, I'm sure they would have been bursting at the seams to tell everyone about how great Joe is. It's nothing more than pure coincidence that has been blown out of proportion.

You're still missing the point. Coldplay have never been shy about praising their influences. They had no qualms over telling everyone ad infinitum that X&Y was written with posters of U2 in the room, or that they lifted the melody for "Talk" from Kraftwerk. If they deliberately took this seconds-long sequence of notes from Satriani, I'm sure they would have been bursting at the seams to tell everyone about how great Joe is. It's nothing more than pure coincidence that has been blown out of proportion.

Of course, dear.

Except the part that U2 has not produced a masterpiece in a long time (unless you consider 8 years a "long time") I agree with you. :up::up:

I do not consider the adult contemporary riddled ATYCLB a "masterpiece". Give me HTDAAB, even with some of its egregious flaws, over ATYCLB any day. ATYCLB does have some great songs, but I feel about half the album was throwaway. I realize that most feel the same about HTDAAB, but the few gems HTDAAB has truly outshine everything on ATYCLB.

Still, this can easily become another "Pop"was great/ no it was sh*t" thread or "AB was great, but JT was the last masterpiece" thread and that's just ridiculous. Music is too subjective. I know people who hated JT. I know people who love JT but just tolerated AB. And I know those who think both are crap and everything U2 does is crap. So whatever.

The point I think is interesting is that Coldplay first work with Eno (just as U2 have done for ages) and then, as soon as U2 is done with Eno, Coldplay snag him back into the studio again. If The Killers want to dethrone U2, best watch out for Coldplay - they seem to be trying to match U2 step for step. And that reminded me of those wonderfully silly cartoons a talented poster makes here. :sexywink:

Back on topic:

Eno has a relationship with U2/Lanois that is among the longest musically collaborative relationships in his life. Probably the longest.

Him working with U2 is a completely different animal than working with anyone else.

They have a history and relationship with him unique to any other.

He can work with Coldplay. It's just different. It's not a matter of saving his good stuff for one or the other.

The quality either way will be determined by the fans and will have nothing to do with what he personally finds rewarding or good. In fact, no fans seem to ponder that when deciding what they like here or anywhere else on the net.

Someone has been studying Bono's stage behavior:

YouTube - Coldplay - Talk ( Live at 48th Grammy Awards 2006)

I like Parachutes. The rest sound like U2 Lite.

A friend took me to see Coldplay live in 2005/2006 or thereabouts. Even though I find Coldplay to generally be kinda boring I did have a good time. But it struck me that Chris's stage antics were nearly identical to the ones Bono used the last two tours. Even the concert T-shirts looked nearly identical. It was weird. I guess imitation is the kindest form of flattery, no?

I do not consider the adult contemporary riddled ATYCLB a "masterpiece". Give me HTDAAB, even with some of its egregious flaws, over ATYCLB any day. ATYCLB does have some great songs, but I feel about half the album was throwaway. I realize that most feel the same about HTDAAB, but the few gems HTDAAB has truly outshine everything on ATYCLB.

The problem with HTDAAB was two songs: ABOY and Yahweh. These two songs are so bad that they make the album look bad. Yahweh, which (even being better than ABOY) is sitting on the closer spot. A weak closer can really mess things up. And ABOY is on another important spot, the middle. The job of opening the second half, working as a "second Vertigo" is something that ABOY can't do and that kinda drags the album with it. One of the things I like about ATYCLB is the tracklisting, it's so well done that it makes Wild Honey, a weak song indeed, looks good. HTDAAB with its tracklisting problems and those two songs falls short from being in the same or even on a higher level than ATYCLB.
But it's like you said, it's music. It's different for each one.

X&Y should have been their Joshua Tree, but instead it was their Bomb.

I don’t mind Viva, it’s absolutely mediocre, but it’s genius compared to X&Y. They’re still though not back on track after the (honestly) brilliant debut that was Parachutes and the mainstream breakout, while still decent, Rush of Blood.

A friend took me to see Coldplay live in 2005/2006 or thereabouts. Even though I find Coldplay to generally be kinda boring I did have a good time. But it struck me that Chris's stage antics were nearly identical to the ones Bono used the last two tours. Even the concert T-shirts looked nearly identical. It was weird. I guess imitation is the kindest form of flattery, no?

Imitation is ineviltable. A musician's only perception of music is based on what he or she has heard. The difference is U2 started off as a collective of musicians. There was diversity in that collective and their influences that created something unique.

Some band's need more influences.

Of course, dear.

Do not patronise me. Musical coincidences are entirely possible. This is almost as silly as the argument put forth by U2 fans who insist that David Gilmour stole the riff for "Take It Back" from ISHFWILF.

Do not patronise me. Musical coincidences are entirely possible. This is almost as silly as the argument put forth by U2 fans who insist that David Gilmour stole the riff for "Take It Back" from ISHFWILF.

I'm not going there with you.

I can tell the difference between influences and melodic plagarism.

We can let the law determine who is right.

Let's agree to disagree.

I may have missed your point, but you missed my point and that's okay.

Gilmour is a GOD!

A lot of the time, I actually like X&Y better than Viva La Vida. I guess Viva La Vida really is the better album, but I can't really get over the fact that they're trying to 'innovate' by means of imitation... doesn't really work.

But anything that Brian Eno touches tends to turn to gold, so, in the end, I guess I do like VLV. :wink:

I'm not going there with you.

I can tell the difference between influences and melodic plagarism.

We can let the law determine who is right.

Let's agree to disagree.

I may have missed your point, but you missed my point and that's okay.

Gilmour is a GOD!

At least we can agree on Gilmour.

Y'know... in the end all that really matter is...

BOOTS!!!!
and of couse, how sexy they are.

Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom