Video from Fez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The chorus with the four guys is tremendous--I've been sitting here with my headphones listening to it for about ten minutes straight

rihannsu said:

You are putting words in Lanois' mouth. He isn't making them do anything since he and Eno are collaborators on this and not producers. He said he suggested they concentrate on the 11 songs they had. He also said that they ended up writing more stuff anyway. He did not say that they had decided on the songs for the album but that they had 11 songs that could go on an album and that he though they should concentrate on finishing those off. But U2 never was any good at ignoring creative flow so as usual they started more ideas. When you take all the comments from various people together you can see that they are still just letting the creative juices flow and not making any decisions yet on what the album will be or when it will be done. They are enjoying working together without the pressure of any kind of deadline or definite project in mind. By not putting boxes around the material yet they are allowing the music to develop as it will without it being steered into any particular form as yet.

Dana

Regardless, the implications from Lanois' comments are that they had something pretty concrete in mind. They just didn't stick with that plan. Perhaps, the others never intended to go with Lanois' idea, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest that either.

it's AWESOME that so many people on this board know what U2 are thinking and doing! out of the whole world, there's probably only a handful who know this information, and so many of them are RIGHT HERE ON THIS BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys have good ears and good instincts! The first thing that comes to mind is some sexy heaviness in the music...reminiscent of AB. Keep working guys.

It's becoming boring........................
As usual some pay just attention to make fun of other's opinions........................bah........................bunch of self made highbrows..............
Need people to make good conversations and change of point of views, even when they're not the same.................

babyman said:
It's becoming boring........................
As usual some pay just attention to make fun of other's opinions........................bah........................bunch of self made highbrows..............
Need people to make good conversations and change of point of views, even when they're not the same.................

not sure if this was addressed to me, but if so... i agree and love good conversation, just would like to see speculation presented as speculation, not fact.. my playful post was just a way of pointing this out...

not trying to put anyone down... please understand....

when something as exciting as this comes out, I hope the atmosphere of the thread can stay one of excitement and anticipation for all U2 fans, without being overshadowed by intense speculation delivered as fact.

That's all i meant to say... what are your favorite parts of the video, babyman?

mine are Edge's riffs, Larry with a Gong!! and the Chorus of Four near the end... Lanois' comments about the group of six playing together for 25 years are also very cool. His is a perspective we don't often get to hear..

dr. zooeuss said:

not sure if this was addressed to me, but if so... i agree and love good conversation, just would like to see speculation presented as speculation, not fact.. my playful post was just a way of pointing this out...

not trying to put anyone down... please understand....

when something as exciting as this comes out, I hope the atmosphere of the thread can stay one of excitement and anticipation for all U2 fans, without being overshadowed by intense speculation delivered as fact.

That's all i meant to say... what are your favorite parts of the video, babyman?

mine are Edge's riffs, Larry with a Gong!! and the Chorus of Four near the end... Lanois' comments about the group of six playing together for 25 years are also very cool. His is a perspective we don't often get to hear..

;) good...................................

Well, I must say that I really felt in love with that chorus of Edge/Eno/Lanois/Bono, it's so strong, and I bet this could be a hot single. I'm already imaging it live, the whole crowds singing along! I'm a bit deceived because it's just a snap, but long enough to understand that's a hit!
Bono's singing while Eno applauds is also great, I like it mostly by the end when Bono says: "or something", and all start laughing! A great sign that there was a truely friendly atmosphere, and you really understand Lanois's words. These guys are first of all friends, even brothers, before being musicians. When they get together, it's like pieces of puzzles who look for each other.............
Actually Edge's riff reminds me a bit of Love, Peace Or Else, it's a crunch if I don't get wrong, but it's another bit where you can understand what kind of music they're up to give us...............................
But that whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh chorus, is simply braindrilling! It remained in my mind, I'm even singing it along like a song I've always known. It feels unbelieveble, last night as I was out with a couple of friends I started singing it, and they wondered: "Where have you this from? Who's song is this?" and I "Oh, it's a bit of U2's new one, they're still working on it!"
It's like being with a step in the future, you already sing a bit that in a year many may sing, too........................ It's the preview!

Last edited:
It feels unbelieveble, last night as I was out with a couple of friends I started singing it, and they wondered: "Where have you this from? Who's song is this?" and I "Oh, it's a bit of U2's new one, they're still working on it!"

:wink:

Nice one. And I know... We're all crazy aren't we ...

"Where have you this from? Who's song is this?" and I "Oh, it's a bit of U2's new one, they're still working on it!"

Brilliant.

babyman said:

;) good...................................

Well, I must say that I really felt in love with that chorus of Edge/Eno/Lanois/Bono, it's so strong, and I bet this could be a hot single. I'm already imaging it live, the whole crowds singing along! I'm a bit deceived because it's just a snap, but long enough to understand that's a hit!
Bono's singing while Eno applauds is also great, I like it mostly by the end when Bono says: "or something", and all start laughing! A great sign that there was a truely friendly atmosphere, and you really understand Lanois's words. These guys are first of all friends, even brothers, before being musicians. When they get together, it's like pieces of puzzles who look for each other.............
Actually Edge's riff reminds me a bit of Love, Peace Or Else, it's a crunch if I don't get wrong, but it's another bit where you can understand what kind of music they're up to give us...............................
But that whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh chorus, is simply braindrilling! It remained in my mind, I'm even singing it along like a song I've always known. It feels unbelieveble, last night as I was out with a couple of friends I started singing it, and they wondered: "Where have you this from? Who's song is this?" and I "Oh, it's a bit of U2's new one, they're still working on it!"
It's like being with a step in the future, you already sing a bit that in a year many may sing, too........................ It's the preview!

awesome :up:

it's so cool that they're willing to release this! to me it means they feel very good about where it's going (or already gone!!) - they're usually very protective of their work while it's in progress, and i'd bet that for them to release something this good so "early" in the process, they're already to an even better level with it.

that, of course is just speculation. ;-) but based on what I've seen in the past...

i know what you mean about it getting in your head already, haha, i downloaded the mp3 that Edge89 so kindly posted for us, and it's near the top on my itunes playlist already ;-)

Still waiting to hear someone else go nuts over Larry with a gong! ;-)

Have no Larry plebans read this yet? :wink:

The_Edge89 said:
This is the original U2.com link posted by alanah in the other thread:
http://media.u2.com/flash/news/danny.swf

Original .swf download (~19,7 Mb):
http://www.save file.com/files/1050734

Here's the same video file (~9.4 Mb) converted into .asf (which can be played using Window Media Player) and sent to me by
alanah.
http://www.save file.com/files/1050809

And here's the audio captured by me:
http://www.save file.com/files/1050562

Delete the spaces between the words save and file.com to make the links work.

A special thank you to alanah for helping us out here!

Edge89 you rock!!

tack så mycket!

thank you!!

:hug:

[QUOT
E]Originally posted by dr. zooeuss

it's so cool that they're willing to release this! to me it means they feel very good about where it's going (or already gone!!) - they're usually very protective of their work while it's in progress, and i'd bet that for them to release something this good so "early" in the process, they're already to an even better level with it.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, from what I read or heard or saw (I don't recall now!), U2 was reluctant to part with any footage but Lanois told them it was the least they could do after working with them for 25 years! :lol:

dr. zooeuss said:

Edge89 you rock!!

tack så mycket!

thank you!!

:hug:

Wow, thank you! :ohmy:
It wasn't a big deal on my part of getting U2 fans these songs really.

The credit should actually go to Zoo_Fly for going trough the risks of being spotted by security and getting caught while recording the first audio that was given to us from these sessions.
And also don't forget that alanah gave me the u2.com link so I was able to record the high quality audio and then upload it for you guys.

I didn't do the hard stuff in other words.

That said:
Varsågod/You're very welcome! :D

The_Edge89 said:

Wow, thank you! :ohmy:
It wasn't a big deal on my part of getting U2 fans these songs really.

The credit should actually go to Zoo_Fly for going trough the risks of being spotted by security and getting caught while recording the first audio that was given to us from these sessions.
And also don't forget that alanah gave me the u2.com link so I was able to record the high quality audio and then upload it for you guys.

I didn't do the hard stuff in other words.

That said:
Varsågod/You're very welcome! :D

ah, well your kindness in posting them here was key, but thanks also for sharing the credit where due... thanks also Zoo_Fly and Alanah...

um, what is zoo_fly's story... where did s/he break into?

:ohmy:

dr. zooeuss said:

ah, well your kindness in posting them here was key, but thanks also for sharing the credit where due... thanks also Zoo_Fly and Alanah...

um, what is zoo_fly's story... where did s/he break into?

:ohmy:

Here's Zoo_Fly's story:

Originally posted by Zoo_Fly in http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178906

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Ce3dDwZzI

Sorry all, I'm not too computer smart, I have no idea how to rip the audio from my digital camera video, nor how to convert this to MP3 or whatever the kids use these days :wink:

But I uploaded it to Youtube. The camera was hidden in my jacket so there's no picture (they were using night vision goggles, apparently, to spot piraters). The sound quality is pretty much the same as what I recorded off my camera.

Theres 3, maybe 4 songs in there only a few seconds of each. Nothing to get too excited about, but still cool to hear what they've been up to!

Remember how the u2.com article mentioned the birds that made some noise in between the takes?

I think it's in the first one where Brian says something like "They have been extremely harsh critics during our stay here".
Then they're mentioned again later on in the text.

You can definately hear birds tweeting during the "Love and Peace" song.
Also, I think they can be heard in the last instrumental song we get to see.
That would fit with the other mention that says "Let's start from the beginning with Larry this time" then Brian is said to throw out instructions "Verse, chorus verse" around the circle which sounds like what is happening in that last clip even though he is just counting instead of saying verse and chorus.

Just some thoughts, I might be wrong about the last one.

really exciting stuff, love that guitar riff by EDGE>
lets hope in the time before the record is released, most of this gets on it and doesn't get "redone"

Is it bad that I've already tabbed out the guitar part for the "heavy" riff?

And also, the "four man chorus" is really really lovely.

After spending the past year basically being disappointed in U2 for what I felt was a "safe" song, "Window In The Skies", I am SO happy to be proven wrong by them! New material sounds great.

The Edge has magic in his head and magic in his hands.
I thought I heard a little "opium den" kind of sound for a bit, didn't note the exact timing of the clip. This collaboration will give birth to some incredible stuff -I can't wait.

I'm excited by WHATEVER comes out of this session. I'm against hurrying things. I'm quite happy to simply see and hear them jamming together.

:drool: :drool:

The 4.03 sounds abit like miss sarajevo rythmwise...:drool:

Seems way more interesting than anything from Atomic Bomb so far. Still, I'm not getting my hopes up. IMO U2 will probably suffocate most of the innovation they've discovered by the ime of the actual release.

My favorite part was the bit around 4:40 with Bono singing and the others clapping.

I liked what I heard. It all sounds good and inspiring but not that amazing to me. That riff that is played has that hypnotic eastern like vibe to it that might make a good song, and I like the fact that it's slightly heavier than the usual ones. But overall (in this very raw format) it's not that great of a riff or of a sound really. It's not as good as The Fly or the I Will Follow riffs for example. It's as good as the Love And Peace riff, which is a great one, and one hell of a song but also one that they left behind at some point of the last tour.

I really hope that they have a chant-like chorus with that Moroccan vibe there but that one they were singing wasn't that good to me. It should be in the same level of quality of that eastern melody Bono used to hum to begin certain Zoo TV shows. If they get to write anything on that level of quality than it will be one hell of a record. And I think that should be the standard for them. Keep it as high as possible, comparing it to the great music they have done in the past. I know I may be asking for a lot but they have done it in the pass and I believe they can do it again.

They should bring that Zoo Tv chant back to life by the way and include it on the record. That chant could be one hell of a chorus. They never recorded it so why not use it.

Back
Top Bottom