Video from Fez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The album is done, it's written. They know at least the 90% of the songs that they want on the album. They seem to have put down their ideas very well. It's just a matter of recording, I think there could be a release even for spring or early summer. But in the end, thanx to the usual marketing job, the record will come out by October/November. I believe they will finish the recordings around March, and then all the advertisements phase will be prepared, some tour ideas, first single in September.

Grow a pair and release the record in March or July or something. Make it a summer record!

The last 'Spring/Summer' record they released was Pop...March 1997. I don't take it as coincidence that they seem determined to only release records in the fall recently.

Actually, it's probably got more to do with their fall album - spring tour cycle which they followed at all times except for 4 albums, one of which wasn't really your typical album release, and we all know how well it went the one time they HAD to put out an album because of the tour.

babyman said:
The album is done, it's written. They know at least the 90% of the songs that they want on the album.

:huh: How did you come to this conclusion from what we heard in interviews and music clips ?

U2girl said:

:huh: How did you come to this conclusion from what we heard in interviews and music clips ?

Maybe because musicians have different instincts.........................

Do you believe you move to Morocco without having any concrete things in your head? They know the songs that will go on the album, they just have to record it and to do all the arrangement works. The songs are written. The same Lanois stated that they went there with 11 songs, or am I wrong? And he also added that other stuff came out (as usual for someone who writes songs...........)

Last edited:
Yes, they had a full album's worth of songs (11) at least started when they got to Fez. However, I'm sure they expanded on those and he said they started new ideas. So the question is when will they decide to reign it into an album? I think they could do it now, or they could potentially keep tinkering/trying new ideas for months. But from this information, it seems that they could walk into a studio right now with what they have and knock out a legitimate album in two weeks if they had the desire/need to do so.

babyman said:
Do you believe you move to Morocco without having any concrete things in your head?

When you're U2, you can pretty much do whatever crazy idea comes into your head whenever you want. If this was anyone else, I'd say yeah, looks like things are moving into their final stage. But these guys have the luxury of popping off to Morocco to fuck around for a few weeks, and not be expected to have something substantial to show for it.

Everything we've heard has been about just enjoying the writing and playing progress. They've explicitly said they're not working on or recording anything for an album yet--that came from Lanois.

So while musician's instinct and wishful thinking may tell you they'll be done with this thing by the end of the year, my gut tells me that they are going to play around with what they have for as long as they feel like it. They won't be content to just put together a collections of good songs this time; all signs point to the idea that they really want something weighty holding it together. And there's no time table on something like that, and there certainly can't be any pressure, external or internal.

If it does wind up being something more dense, along the lines of JT or AB, all the more reason to put it out in the fall. I'd like to hear it sooner too, but it's not a safe bet we will.

This is the original U2.com link posted by alanah in the other thread:
http://media.u2.com/flash/news/danny.swf

Original .swf download (~19,7 Mb):
http://www.save file.com/files/1050734

Here's the same video file (~9.4 Mb) converted into .asf (which can be played using Window Media Player) and sent to me by
alanah.
http://www.save file.com/files/1050809

And here's the audio captured by me:
http://www.save file.com/files/1050562

Delete the spaces between the words save and file.com to make the links work.

A special thank you to alanah for helping us out here!

Last edited:
As optomistic as everybody is this album is far from finished...all that sounded like was jamming sessions and U2 doesnt write an album in that short amount of time they were not in Fez all that long and they have another recording session in November. Most of this material may not even be on the record but judging by the general sound of it....the people that like the 90s sound should be happy with it.

Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
ot sure if this is actually U2 or maybe Lanois on his own)

@ 2:20 - the jam session in the courtyard, I dig the heavy guitar riff...

AtomicBono said:

fuckin BADASS

that riff is ragin' :rockon: and the stuff inbetween it sounds great too, fantastic drums. I really, really hope that song turns out as awesome as it sounds now

:rockon: Sounds like Zep. :drool: Sounds soooooo good!

They want to appear as they want to temporize, but I'm sure they know more than they are saying. Of course they have lots of work to do, a song never gets finished, probably even when you think it's finished. You always can put little things on a song, which may appear little, but can tell you a big difference actually.
So, my theory is that they have from 9 to 11 songs they know will go on the album. Under this aspect the album is written, then, the whole work that comes after on the songs is a completely different planet. My guess is that for March the recording sessions could be done, but the writing sessions are over or at least at the 90-95%

babyman said:
They want to appear as they want to temporize, but I'm sure they know more than they are saying. Of course they have lots of work to do, a song never gets finished, probably even when you think it's finished. You always can put little things on a song, which may appear little, but can tell you a big difference actually.
So, my theory is that they have from 9 to 11 songs they know will go on the album. Under this aspect the album is written, then, the whole work that comes after on the songs is a completely different planet. My guess is that for March the recording sessions could be done, but the writing sessions are over or at least at the 90-95%

I agree. If they were under any pressure, they could probably make any deadline (album locked) that is 3 weeks or more away.

This will not happen, of course, but it is nice to know that they are farther along than most people on these boards assumed.

U2 are a bunch of smartasses..................:wink:

They've started already the advertisement to the new album, even if it could come out in a year. They are creating the wait atmosphere, the same story of last time with all the spanish clips and the "theft" of the album.........................:sexywink:

Wonder what comes next.............

Just hearing these clips makes me soo excited for the upcoming album. The last part with all the guys singing that chorus is amazing! It sounds sooo great!!!!!
Can anyone make out the lyrics?

babyman said:

Do you believe you move to Morocco without having any concrete things in your head? They know the songs that will go on the album, they just have to record it and to do all the arrangement works. The songs are written. The same Lanois stated that they went there with 11 songs, or am I wrong? And he also added that other stuff came out (as usual for someone who writes songs...........)

Yes, I believe they didn't have something concrete in mind when they went to Morocco. Edge was into African (Arabic) music, alerted Bono to it, and so the others went along. If they really had the 11 album songs picked, and finished, we'd be getting a lot more hype.

The 11 "songs" could be also nothing more than demos, and who knows how much of those songs will be on the album. Remember how Bono said he got a song each week when he had piano lessons ? There is also the matter of them having 2 distinct sources of material : Fez and France - they have to decide whether they will go for the Eno/Lanois material or go back to Rubin's songs.

But Lanois said he made them narrow down the France work to 11 songs to take to Fez...how is that not "something concrete in mind"?

Well, I'm actually geniunely excited with the album now, I can feel the heat already.

I have more faith in it, I have a feeling it's going to be very swell. :up:

Anyone else feel like Bono from 3:48 to 3:55 is channeling Jim Morrison?

Who are you, Ray Manzarek? :wink:

U2girl said:

Yes, I believe they didn't have something concrete in mind when they went to Morocco. Edge was into African (Arabic) music, alerted Bono to it, and so the others went along. If they really had the 11 album songs picked, and finished, we'd be getting a lot more hype.

The 11 "songs" could be also nothing more than demos, and who knows how much of those songs will be on the album. Remember how Bono said he got a song each week when he had piano lessons ? There is also the matter of them having 2 distinct sources of material : Fez and France - they have to decide whether they will go for the Eno/Lanois material or go back to Rubin's songs.

Yes, but wait, I haven't spoken of finished songs, but of written songs, which may be even 30-40-50..................
Between them, I think they'd know the 11 ones who go on the album(maybe the same 11 Lanois suggested)
It's obvious that all the recording works+arrangements have to be done (if they haven't already started, who knows)
Once you've structured the songs, it's just a matter of recording, and of course, as usual, ideas come on the way.
The Rubin songs could actually come in question, too, everything is possible, yes.

prisz25 said:
Just hearing these clips makes me soo excited for the upcoming album. The last part with all the guys singing that chorus is amazing! It sounds sooo great!!!!!
Can anyone make out the lyrics?
My guess:

Oooh-Oh-Oh
Shout with joy
All gave we both shout you
And/Then give it up
Right now
Oooh
Oooh-Oh-Oh
You know their name
so call it out

This is my favourite of these new clips so far together with the one in the beginning with Lanois talking about his relationship of 25 years with Eno and U2.
I'm not to sure about the third line though.

I'm trying to make a transcript of the trailer and I'll post it in "It's a Musical Journey" shortly.

EDIT:
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179879

Last edited:
bram said:
But Lanois said he made them narrow down the France work to 11 songs to take to Fez...how is that not "something concrete in mind"?

You are putting words in Lanois' mouth. He isn't making them do anything since he and Eno are collaborators on this and not producers. He said he suggested they concentrate on the 11 songs they had. He also said that they ended up writing more stuff anyway. He did not say that they had decided on the songs for the album but that they had 11 songs that could go on an album and that he though they should concentrate on finishing those off. But U2 never was any good at ignoring creative flow so as usual they started more ideas. When you take all the comments from various people together you can see that they are still just letting the creative juices flow and not making any decisions yet on what the album will be or when it will be done. They are enjoying working together without the pressure of any kind of deadline or definite project in mind. By not putting boxes around the material yet they are allowing the music to develop as it will without it being steered into any particular form as yet.

Dana

babyman said:

Maybe because musicians have different instincts.........................

LMAO

I love me some pure unadulterated speculation.

The Sad Punk said:
Well, I'm actually geniunely excited with the album now, I can feel the heat already.

I have more faith in it, I have a feeling it's going to be very swell. :up:

Who are you, Ray Manzarek? :wink:

haha, could be

Dalton said:

LMAO

I love me some pure unadulterated speculation.

lmao. glad to know i'm not the only one wondering why people are posting in this thread as if they were perched on Bono's shoulder the whole time in Fez.. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom