Update from U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
topplehatU2 said:
U2 double album. :drool:

Double albums are not a good idea. They're just not.

Better would be a staggered release of songs from the same session/group of sessions into two distinct, better-flowing albums. Like Kid A and Amnesiac.

bram said:

Double albums are not a good idea. They're just not.

Better would be a staggered release of songs from the same session/group of sessions into two distinct, better-flowing albums. Like Kid A and Amnesiac.

Then we can get the people complaining that the two albums were too similar, that U2 has run out of ideas, etc etc. I don't like double albums either, but I want a lot of new U2 music.

It's gonna be interesting to see how U2's newer fans (and by that I mean 2000 on) adapt to a style change in real time.

It's easier I think to find something that draws you in like ATYCLB, and then as you progress backward through their catalog, soak in the changes retroactively. Because you can always go forward again - while bemoaning what you now deem their mainstream works of course; disregarding that's what brought you in in the first place.

Their 90's work when it came out wasn't just jarring to a lot of fans, it was disappointing; even if they came around to it like I did. It sucks to have to wait 3, 4, 5 years between albums and then to have it be some experimental thing that you dislike. Totaly taste-specific speaking here of course.

I'm nervous about this new album. Fast Cars and AMAAW didn't exactly grab me; I don't want a whole album of it.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to see the reactions around here.

Double Albums... True double albums are a great idea. 22 or 24 tracks is fun and U2 have never done it. I'd be up for the journey. 18 tracks; a disk and a half is not a double album and I agree those suck.

Last edited:
I'd rather take 11 very solid/strong songs (and they have enough problems with coming up with that a lot of the time) than 11 very solid songs and the rest of the usual 20+ double album being filler.

We'd probably be waiting until 2010 for that.

Snowlock said:

I'm nervous about this new album. Fast Cars and AMAAW didn't exactly grab me; I don't want a whole album of it.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to see the reactions around here.

I don't think you have to worry about those two, because Fast Cars was just a "last day in the studio" play around track, and it was very seldom played live.
A Man and A Woman wasn't played live at all, which means they will abandon those kind of songs for the next release, I suppose.

On the other hand, Fast Cars had a oriental touch to it.
But then again they aren't necessarily creating oriental music other than using the same structure as Eno pointed out before.

I would say Fast Cars has more of a flamenco beat to it. The only thing oriental about it is the Bono wail at the beginning, which also could be interpreted as a fado-esque touch.

And as a post-2000 fan, I'm happy for them to try new styles if it sounds good. Musicians need occasional change to stay fresh, and given how they are stringing us along, I hope this album squeaks behind the ears with musical freshness.

silvrlvr said:
I would say Fast Cars has more of a flamenco beat to it. The only thing oriental about it is the Bono wail at the beginning, which also could be interpreted as a fado-esque touch.

Do you really know what fado is?
It might have an eastern gipsy singing in the beggining, but that's nothing to with fado... xD

I would like a double album, if there should be one, with 1. all new songs and 2. remastered "old", never released songs/demos/bsides/outtakes, that would be so cool.

But in general, I would prefer a single "solid" album, too, with about 11-12 songs.

And for me, please more of Fast Cars, I love it!

silvrlvr said:
Could 18-20 of the pieces be the Spiderman Musical?

I don't mean to be cynical, but all these updates seem like a monster stalling tactic. If you're serious about an album, you make an album.
no because as Adam says it could be part of the new album, plus the whole band wouldnt be working on spiderman as its only Bono and Edge doing that.

I don't think a double album is a great idea. Simply because I think U2 are not capable to compilate 25 strong songs in a row (even in a 12 song algum there are always weaker songs).
If there are 17/18 great songs... okay: make a 8+8 double disc, but not what RHCP did.

It is a rare-enough treat to find a regular 10-12 song album with all or nearly all great/classic tracks (I am talking generally here, not just U2). In theory, perhaps, a band could do twice as many tracks at that level. But how many double albums can you name like that? I think the Beatles would be the only band I'd trust to put out 24 tracks on an album. For me, there is nothing better (and rarer) than a 45-minute continual experience that flows and never drops in quality.

Think about Stadium Arcadium---if they had edited down to 12 songs...think of what the quality could have been? I'm not a huge RHCP fan, just using this as an example. Instead, SA sounds watered down...

U2 simply wouldn't do it. As U2girl said, they have a hard enough time getting 11 songs together.

A good double allows a band to stretch a bit. The White Album is great, but it contains some pretty esoteric material alongside the more well-known stuff. I wouldn't mind a longer album that let U2 experiment a bit. The last two have seemed like attempts at hit machines and the daring side of the band has been missing for a while...

A love the radiohead idea...

From a thread in PLEBA:

we were in eze on 19 of july and Bono was there. He had some guests in the house, and he played the new songs...new beach songs but as I saw only 1 girl taped it, noone else. we were good girls and we didn't do any disturbing thing. just swimming in the sea and listening the songs and watching bono's dance on the terrace with a glass of wine in his hand the songs are GOOD!! two of them are VERY VERY good!!! they are not finished yet but in some songs you can feel some Marocco
there was one song what we heard last year there, but all of the others were very new for us.
it's an unforgettable day.

bram said:

Think about Stadium Arcadium---if they had edited down to 12 songs...think of what the quality could have been? I'm not a huge RHCP fan, just using this as an example. Instead, SA sounds watered down...

Man, if you took the 12 best songs on that album, that would be so great. I grow weary of some of the filler songs on the 2nd disc.

waynetravis said:
From a thread in PLEBA:

we were in eze on 19 of july and Bono was there. He had some guests in the house, and he played the new songs...new beach songs but as I saw only 1 girl taped it, noone else. we were good girls and we didn't do any disturbing thing. just swimming in the sea and listening the songs and watching bono's dance on the terrace with a glass of wine in his hand the songs are GOOD!! two of them are VERY VERY good!!! they are not finished yet but in some songs you can feel some Marocco
there was one song what we heard last year there, but all of the others were very new for us.

ooh.. i want more beach clips!

Aygo said:

Do you really know what fado is?
It might have an eastern gipsy singing in the beggining, but that's nothing to with fado... xD

Yes, I do know what Fado is.

Granted, I'm not from Lisbon or Coimbra so I've not had the chance to hear it at the source. Someday, I hope I will :)

last unicorn said:

And for me, please more of Fast Cars, I love it!

:yes: I love that song too...

It's awesome because it's a musical departure, yet it's not all that far away from straight rock n' roll...you could just play it with plain distortion and power chords and it would sound awesome. :drool:

Anyway, I'm very glad to finally get some positive vibes going in this section of the forum. The constant negativity gives me great material, but having something awesome to look forward to is always a good thing. :wink:

I hope we get some clips soon. I'm dying to hear what U2 put through a Moroccan rhythm filter will sound like. Hopefully we'll be saying goodbye to 4/4 adult contemporary pop/rock. :drool:

I am fascinated to hear what they have been working on, this sounds like a big departure from the previous two records. I am pleased to hear they are taking that new direction, involving local musicans etc. I have always suggested bringing in some extra musicans, besides the four members of the band and the producers.

The only worry would be how they play the material live and whether they will tour with a backing band i.e. on the Lovetown tour with the brass players.

I am glad Adam pointed out there are lots of new bands playing their version of rock on roll, most likely referring to all the new indie bands that have come out over the last few years. To relate this to Clapton comments about U2 sounding like Coldplay and not being able to tell the difference, I think it is time for U2 to change their sound,stand out again and be more innovative.

Instead of a more stripped down, even acoustic sound, I'd like to hear a more expansive sound, experimenting with different instruments and to hear something totally different to their previous two records.The addition of Eno and Lanois in the songwriting process could also be a good move, all we can do is wait and see, but I am excited by the prospect of a different sounding record.

I really hope its nothing like Stadium Arcadium, which just sounds like an album full of fillers.

Last edited:
waynetravis said:
From a thread in PLEBA:

GIVE ME SOME BEACH CLIPS!!!!!!

Also, the image of Bono absently swaying on the terrace with a glass of wine while the rest of the band practiced these VERY Very good songs cracks me up.

bram said:
It is a rare-enough treat to find a regular 10-12 song album with all or nearly all great/classic tracks (I am talking generally here, not just U2). In theory, perhaps, a band could do twice as many tracks at that level. But how many double albums can you name like that? I think the Beatles would be the only band I'd trust to put out 24 tracks on an album. For me, there is nothing better (and rarer) than a 45-minute continual experience that flows and never drops in quality.

U2 simply wouldn't do it. As U2girl said, they have a hard enough time getting 11 songs together.

The Wall

The Wall is mainly an instrumental album, with a few vocals mixed in. While it is a great album to that I listen to all the time, this is not a good example of what could be considered 11 or 12 unique pieces of music because really they all fit together as 1 big piece of music.

U2 should do what is of interest to them something that will keep their heart in it and make them feel truely proud of the album...and exploring where music can take them. A U2 album inspired by something like The Wall would be a good thing but I dont think it will ever happen under the U2 name.

Maybe Passengers Volume 2....of which im still waiting for but not keeping my hopes up.

Back
Top Bottom