Update from U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just going to point that out. She is a Persian classical singer not Arabic. Big difference.

I too sense some sort of reinvention that feels a bit like the early 90s.

My general rule is that I’m only interested in things I have never heard anything like before - and we’ve got plenty of those!’

That sounds rather like the Larry comment how the songs sound different and experimental due to Eno and Lanois playing along.

:hmm: Sounds interesting. I just hope they won't reach at too many things at once a la 1997.

Irvine511 said:
i'm wondering if they're not trying to become genuinely superlative musicians, innovating and daring in a purely musical sense, to truly make popular music that hasn't been heard before.
I remember back in the time around Zooropa when Bono was talking about the band attempting to evolve musically into something beyond what we currently understand music to be, but then when he looked back at that period in retrospect, he realized that they didn't quite achieve their goals.

Perhaps you're right in that this time they may have developed their musical skills to the point where, combining their skill with their artistic inspiration, they might actually be able to make good on that ambitious goal that Bono talked about in the 90's.

ntalwar said:

That u2.com article incorrectly describes her as an Arabic singer - she's in fact a Persian singer.

The mandolin and working with local musicians suggest a variation in sound as well.

They identified her first as an Iranian singer and then later as arabic. But wouldn't Persian still fit under the blanket term of arabic? I wouldn't call it African.
As for the local musicians they commented that they don't know if any of that will be used. I think that was more so that they can learn from them. How much the sound will be affected is anyone's guess at this point.

These tidbits sound more like an ode to the JT than an ode to AB. The idea of going to a country and taking in everything its soul (specifically its music and musicians) has to offer and digesting it into something similar but unique and completely "U2" through their own interpretation. The whole fascination and tribute to America was the big theme of that album, and even though the new one may not be purely Arabic-ish music, to me it's got more of a connection to the late 80's creative style than the early 90's, which seemed more a reflection and story of the band at that moment than their actual surroundings.

Honestly I don't even agree with the "reinvention" subject being similar to AB, because it isn't held to just that time period. U2 have reinvented themselves many times. Like Adam said in R&H, they weren't the same band they were when they made boy/october/war, and they changed. They changed after TUF/JT/RAH, and they changed again for the new millennium with ATYCLB/HTDAAB. So If anything the whole reinvention idea has always been a staple of U2's cycle. It's just that it was so drastic and image-focused in the 90's that the era is seen as their creative zenith when really U2 and especially Bono have always been a creative, attention-grabbing entity and still are today, just not as overloaded with cool irony and spectacle as they were then.

Which is probably why I don't expect them to come out and be hugely innovative in terms of their style. It's more wishful thinking for some I suspect. I'm sure the music will end up very interesting and unique for them but I wouldn't expect (personally I don't even want) Pop 2 where things are so wildly un-U2 and outside the box. They appear to have found an essence they are comfortable with. And the praise and accolades this last album has received is only reinforcing the idea that they tapped into something good and should evolve that into even higher quality output but not go overboard and push things too much outside what their fans enjoy and what they're capable of pulling off.

I'm really excited to find out the mood of the music they are making more than anything. The last two albums have been very reflective, hopeful, and for the most part very fun and poppy. It will be interesting to see if the same feel is there, or if it's some dark, serious, even angry work. Maybe the recent G8 and slow response to Africa will light a fire in Bono's belly and he'll rally the band for more SBS-like battle cries hehe! :wink:

catlhere said:
These tidbits sound more like an ode to the JT than an ode to AB. The idea of going to a country and taking in everything its soul (specifically its music and musicians) has to offer and digesting it into something similar but unique and completely "U2" through their own interpretation. The whole fascination and tribute to America was the big theme of that album, and even though the new one may not be purely Arabic-ish music, to me it's got more of a connection to the late 80's creative style than the early 90's, which seemed more a reflection and story of the band at that moment than their actual surroundings.

Honestly I don't even agree with the "reinvention" subject being similar to AB, because it isn't held to just that time period. U2 have reinvented themselves many times. Like Adam said in R&H, they weren't the same band they were when they made boy/october/war, and they changed. They changed after TUF/JT/RAH, and they changed again for the new millennium with ATYCLB/HTDAAB. So If anything the whole reinvention idea has always been a staple of U2's cycle. It's just that it was so drastic and image-focused in the 90's that the era is seen as their creative zenith when really U2 and especially Bono have always been a creative, attention-grabbing entity and still are today, just not as overloaded with cool irony and spectacle as they were then.

Not sure if this was directed at me. But I never said they were doing anything like AB. I said the interview and vibe remind me of how they were talking back in 1990. I guess you dont agree. So be it, but to me it does. :shrug:

Actually, I didnt see Joshua Tree as any type of reinvention. It was taking the idea behind UF and putting it against the landscape of America and Ireland to me. UF was the reinvention album, JT was just improving on that idea. Thats how those albums always struck me anyway.

catlhere said:

Maybe they go out in conuntry and make a farmer record, maybe they got insperation from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygED59vmJyg

rihannsu said:

They identified her first as an Iranian singer and then later as arabic. But wouldn't Persian still fit under the blanket term of arabic? I wouldn't call it African.
As for the local musicians they commented that they don't know if any of that will be used. I think that was more so that they can learn from them. How much the sound will be affected is anyone's guess at this point.

Iran is not an Arabic-speaking country. Its language is called Farsi. It is an Islamic country, that is what it has in common with many Arab countries. A fine line, perhaps, but Iranians can tell you that there is a different.

rihannsu said:

I think they have broken through a barrier in regards to their own musicianship or even just in their perception of it. Maybe they finally have found some confidence in their playing that they didn't have before and that will allow them to stretch in new directions more easily and comfortably. If you look back at JT era they were almost embarrassed by their success at that point because they still felt like they were really incompetant as musicians. Even during the Vertigo tour in interviews they would regularly state that they didn't really feel like musicians. When you look at what they have accomplished without confidence in their musicianship it is mind boggling. If they have now discovered a belief in their ability how much farther can they potentially go? That's what is exciting me now.

Dana

very intersting! :hyper:
they are often really tough on themselvs.......for not being where they either want to be /perceive themselves to be/perceive themselves as to wwhere they "should" be /or what they hear in their heads...and quite can't yet match.

your commnents, too, Irving. :)

one of my fav songs is "The Lady with a Spinning Head".....
...just listen to those sinuous lines weaving around eachin the instrumentals part !:drool: :drool:
I recognized that as being influenced by Middle Eastern music. :)

Go guys, go! Woot!

this is a great article, getting me more excited...we need a sample :drool:

i just want some new u2...if it's some side project, at least it's new material. although i agree w/ others, i think they are just trying out some new things and it is all geared toward the new record.

all this arabic, Morroco, mandoline stuf...

does this means we'll be able to hear MAGIC CARPET again?!?!?! :hyper:

The MAGIC CARPET Tour :drool:

I'm glad they were all in one place and working this hard. It will be great if something comes out of it. I still think it's late summer 2008.

Dorian Gray said:
anybvody keep track of how often these updates have been appearing? maybe we're due for another...

First report appeared on the 14th of June the second on the 20th.
So I would guess either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow if they keep this pace.

The Mysterious Ways of Arabic Music

U2.Com have been in Morocco with Brian Eno, Danny Lanois and U2. During June we're bringing you the inside track on the Fez songwriting sessions.
In Part 1 Larry explained that 'Sometimes you just have to get away in order to write the songs.'
In our second Fez story, the band check out one of the headline acts at the Festival of Sacred Music and Brian Eno muses on why Arabic music is so distinctive. (Apparently its 'teleological.' )

'The Moroccan policeman is apopletic. Outside the house in the centre of Fez, where U2 are songwriting with Danny Lanois and Brian Eno, the driver of the van who taking us to see legendary Iranian vocalist Parissa perform, is receiving a serious ear-bashing from the local constabulary.
Judging by the disinterest of people making their way to the nearby market, this is an unremarkable episode even though the debating point seems to focus on the convoy of cars which has recently passed by carrying Queen Rania of Jordan - in Fez as a guest of the King of Morocco, and on her way to the same gig. With a peaceful resolution unlikely in the immediate future, most of U2 and a small band of companions reluctantly abandon the van and head off on foot through the medieval streets to find Parissa.

Twenty minutes later and we're seated with 2,000 others inside a beautiful walled garden, as Parissa and the five-piece Dastan Ensemble, begin their set on a low stage under the shade of two huge trees. Turns out the Ensemble are the most famous classical Iranian group in the world and they deliver a virtuoso performance on the kind of percussion and string instruments rarely played in the West. Parissa herself is a mesmerising Arabic soul singer, totally lost in the music, hands raised heavenward in mystic praise even though no-one has a clue what she's singing about.

'Teleological' is the word Brian Eno later uses to describe this Arabic musical tradition. It has little in common with the 'verse, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge…' construction of western rock'n'roll heritage. For a start they're not big on the idea of the hit single – the first track alone lasts forty five minutes.
'Can you believe this?' asks Bono, as the audience rises as one to salute them at the end of their two-song, 70-minute set. 'Isn't that something else ?'
As Bono talks infectiously about the historical overlaps between Arabic music and Irish music, about 'copts and celts' and how he has come to Fez to experience the Sufi singing and storytelling tradition, Edge is amazed at the sheer musical dexterity of the players. Savouring music like this is one of the reasons the band chose this city to write music in, home as it is to the annual Festival of World Sacred Music. It's a perfect setting to sample some indigenous North African music.
'The Festival of Sacred Music was a big lure for us and for Brian who has been very interested in Arabic music for years,' he says. 'We felt we might meet some interesting musicians while here – and we certainly have.'

Eventually managing to negotiate a way through the crowds who are thronging for a picture with Queen Rania, an hour later it's early evening back in the riad and work is starting on another song.
'Briefly,' says Eno, explaining the peculiar distinction of the Arabic musical tradition, 'You could say that African-based music is generally cyclic – ideas that go round and round in a fairly straightforward way – but Arabic music generally isn't cyclic. It's generally a sort of narrative in that it starts in one place and ends up in another place… the proper word is 'teleological.'
Towards a finish?
'Yes, it has a definite trajectory and a narrative to it and it doesn't repeat in the same way that most African-based pop music does. So in a typical pop song you will have 'A B A B A B C A B B' or something like that but in Arabic music you might have 'A B C F B G F' or something like that.
'Basically it just goes off and what we've been doing here these past few days is enjoying things like that more and more, moving away from the simply cyclic way of writing things.'
So you're trying to create a different sensibility in the songwriting here? Well, he says, put it like this: 'Whenever there was an aesthetic decision to be made we've asked, 'How would it be solved in Arabic music?' So that gives us another frame to think in - it doesn't mean we always do what an Arabic player might have done but it gives us a different frame of reference.'

In fact, he says, just coming to Morocco, after earlier periods writing in Ireland and France, has changed their approach to songwriting. 'I've had this thing about Arabic music for ages, thinking that it's where the next big future in fusion will come from – I've been saying that for about thirty years and finally I think it is coming true.
'There are things I like a lot about Arabic music which are different to what we do in western music and so we have started trying to incorporate some of those elements. It is not a question of sounds so much but of different structural decisions about how things are made.'

As Larry gets set at his kit and Adam writes out some chords, Edge begins tuning a mandolin which is the signal for Eno to get back to his MacBook and keyboard and his own place in the songwriting circle. So, if pushed, how far along the way does he feel they have got so far ? 'There'll be some differences of opinion about which things will constitute a record,' he says. 'But we have a lot of pieces. My general rule is that I'm only interested in things I have never heard anything like before - and we've got plenty of those!'
For the next four hours, except for a short break for supper, the house reverberates to the sound of six musicians working on two more songs. It is detailed, repetitive, laborious work, each take followed by discussion on where it isn't working or how it could change – and then by another take.
'They say it's like sausage making,' laughs Bono, looking up from his battered copy of Minds At War, an anthology of First World War poetry. 'If you saw what went into it you would never want to try it at the end!' But these people have been here before – there are very few distractions in Fez and so the music takes all the attention. And by the end of the night, one of the songs is sounding like it's going to go the distance. Eno seems to agree. As another take begins he starts jogging with unconcealed glee at his desk, does a quick pirhouette and plays the first note on his keyboard… behind his back.

More from Fez coming up.

Aside from the part about Edge playing the mandolin (please don't pull a Peter Buck and say you're giving up the guitar for this instrument!), once again I'm delighted to read about all of this.

The idea that they are filtering big decisions through the prism of an Arabic perspective sounds so promising. Best case scenario, by the time Lanois & Eno leave they've deemed all the songs "completed" and can just record right in this great location.

maybe they're going to remake Sting's Desert Rose. :laugh:

BTW...Rush and U2 aren't fair comparisons...Neil Peart is in a league of his own. As a drummer, I like how they both play but, as my teacher told me, Larry plays just enough for U2 even though he probably has more to show if he wanted to. But Neil....holy shit man. That man's at peace when he's playing.

More promising news. :drool:

Definite Arabic influence. :drool:

Signs of less formulaic songwriting. :drool:

And I don't think I've ever heard a mandolin with the delay effect before. So definitely looking forward to that. :wink:

Mandolin :edge: :dancing:

I'm not sure you can do effects with a mandolin, although if it's possible, Edge will figure out a way.

Before you roll your eyes, remember that the mandolin is part of many different cultures. They'll go nuts in Russia (my grandfather played one) and the Italians will love it, too.

SleepyDeadMan said:
What's taking u2.com so long to update this fez stuff?:mad:

The same thing that kept it from giving the fifth leg tour dates: the fact that it is U2.com.

Back
Top Bottom