Update from U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
love2bmama said:
but the big question is....what is an 'articulated lorry'? I know a lorry is a truck, but articulated?

CC13204_1.JPG

Re: Re: Re: Update from U2.com

MaxFisher said:

I always thought it was "you wanted violence".

:confused:

same here, but I guess it could go either way. nero supposedly played the fiddle while rome burned....so I guess 'violins' makes more sense

Re: Re: Re: Re: Update from U2.com

Utoo said:

same here, but I guess it could go either way. nero supposedly played the fiddle while rome burned....so I guess 'violins' makes more sense

But he was also one of the first Roman rulers to persecute Christians...

I suppose the meaning could go either way. :hmm:

Very interesting, sounds like they're going in a very different direction this time. I wonder if Fast Cars (which time has proven to be the best song from the HTDAAB bunch IMO) is going to end up being a signpost for this album.

Where was Edge, cigarette break? Checking his Blackberry?

Love how Larry marvels over those complex rhythms -- 5/4, 6/8, 3/4.

Next discovery: octaves!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Update from U2.com

LemonMelon said:

But he was also one of the first Roman rulers to persecute Christians...

I suppose the meaning could go either way. :hmm:

I always thought he meant 'violins' opposed to 'Nero' as 'musical instrument' opposed to 'music burning software program' :huh:

silvrlvr said:

:lol:

Why does everyone want/believe the 7-8 minute song to be Mercy? Wouldn't you rather they have written 2 long songs instead of just one?

More songs = better

mobvok said:

:lol:

Why does everyone want/believe the 7-8 minute song to be Mercy? Wouldn't you rather they have written 2 long songs instead of just one?

More songs = better

Mercy is the Holy Grail of U2 fans.

My only hesitation about 7-8 minute songs is that they will be album/concert only and not be released as singles. But then again, length matters less these days now that we have digital delivery systems.

As long as it has a beat and we can dance to it, I'm happy!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Update from U2.com

BANZAI said:

I always thought he meant 'violins' opposed to 'Nero' as 'musical instrument' opposed to 'music burning software program' :huh:

wow, I never thought about it that way! I always thought it was violins, not violence, but I never thought of Nero the program. A whole different way of looking at it!

silvrlvr said:

Mercy is the Holy Grail of U2 fans.

My only hesitation about 7-8 minute songs is that they will be album/concert only and not be released as singles. But then again, length matters less these days now that we have digital delivery systems.

As long as it has a beat and we can dance to it, I'm happy!

:no: I like Mercy, I think it could be a great song with some tweaking, but holy grail? No way.

Re: Re: Re: Update from U2.com

MaxFisher said:

I always thought it was "you wanted violence".

:confused:

No, definitely violins, Nero was said to have serenaded on the violin while he burned Christians alive in his garden.

KUEFC09U2 said:
‘They don’t do 4/4,” says Larry. ‘They work in 5/4 and 6/8 and 3/4. They work in very complex rhythms so it’s very interesting for us to be a part of. It’s definitely a learning curve for us…”

(Waits for Axver to have a field day with this statement.)

Re: Re: Update from U2.com

silvrlvr said:

:lmao: :lmao:

phillyfan26 said:
(Waits for Axver to have a field day with this statement.)

It just confirms everything I've been saying about Larry, really. I'd dearly love to see him try to pull off something like 15/8. Might make his head explode though.

15/8?.. that's moronic...

that's 8/8 plus a 7/8...

the 3/4 of Acrobat and WITS are great, but that rock it's hard.. I hope they can get some, though...

Larry may bring in non 4/4 time in his music...but let's pre-emptive whine anyway.

(5/4 is the original Mission:impossible theme for the TV show right ? 3/4 is waltz, and I believe U2 has used 6/8 in their music)

I can't wait until the guy goes Lars Ulrich or Keith Moon or Mike Portnoy on us...

To me "epic song telling a story" sounds more like something like The Wanderer, not necessarily Mercy.

Mission: Impossible's def. 5/4, I know because that was the first song in band we ever played in 5/4 and it killled me the first few times we played it :lol:

anyway, the whole three or four songs a day thing, is pretty promising, but I won't hold my breath :sigh:

Edge in the newest edition of Hot Press:

HOT PRESS: I imagine being in an alien environment also reinforces the group mind.

EDGE: As Danny would say, anywhere that takes us away from home is a good thing as far as he's concerned, because the distractions of being in Dublin are a problem if you're trying to really concentrate on something.

HP: How different is it having Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois contribute as musicians?

EDGE: Well, they've always chipped in on the playing front, so in that sense it's not so radical, but I think having it being a joint probject has changed the emphasis slightly, and I have to say the chemistry that operates between the six of us is extraordinary. It's the four, it's the U2 thing, but it's given another twist with Brian and Danny.

HP: Are these songwriting sessions for a U2 album or an extra-curricular endeavour?

EDGE: It's a U2 project, and one of the luxuries we've afforded ourselves is not to have to think about exactly what it will be or how it'll be finished or when it'll be released. Right now, we're so enjoying the idea of making music for the sake of making music that we want to keep that going as long as is financially possible. And of course, at some point we'll have to sit down and say, "Well, what have we got; is this one record, two records? Or is it a 12 inch single?" (Laughs). Then take it from there.

Sounds good!

U2girl said:
:huh: It wouldn't kill anyone to be less vague.
he has pretty much said it for an album, there is nothing vague about it,

but if it all turns into a pile of crap, then they are hardly going to release it are they? so he is eliminating the pressure on the band,

in other words, if he turned around and said "this is for our new album", and then nothing worked out, could you imagine what this place would be like?

p.s. he also hints at the possibility of 2 albums or even a double album?

"It's a U2 project, one of the luxuries we've afforded ourselves is not to have to think about exactly what it will be or how it'll be finished or when it'll be released."

"Well, what have we got; is this one record, two records? Or is it a 12 inch single?"

"We're getting lost in the music."

Hardly anything specific, and they've been having these sessions since September, with Rubin. You think they don't have at least some idea what the music is like or what this "project" is by now ? He could be saying "no album till 2009" with all the not getting overly concerned about anything, just making music for the sake of it talk.

For all we know from these statements, it's all going VERY well or Rubin sessions were a complete disaster and they're going from scratch with Eno/Lanois. Think back to Bomb when Thomas dissapeared and Lillywhite got on board. Think back to Pop when Flood and Howie B replaced Nelle Hopper. Now Rubin, who they worked with in September, is nowhere to be seen and they are working with Eno/Lanois.

Last edited:
PookaMacP said:

EDGE: "Well, what have we got; is this one record, two records? Or is it a 12 inch single?" (Laughs). Then take it from there.

2 albums? :drool:

Or a single album's singles with actual B-sides of original material again???

:drool: :drool:

U2girl said:
"It's a U2 project, one of the luxuries we've afforded ourselves is not to have to think about exactly what it will be or how it'll be finished or when it'll be released."

"Well, what have we got; is this one record, two records? Or is it a 12 inch single?"

"We're getting lost in the music."

Hardly anything specific, and they've been having these sessions since September, with Rubin. You think they don't have at least some idea what the music is like or what this "project" is by now ? He could be saying "no album till 2009" with all the not getting overly concerned about anything, just making music for the sake of it talk.

For all we know from these statements, it's all going VERY well or Rubin sessions were a complete disaster and they're going from scratch with Eno/Lanois. Think back to Bomb when Thomas dissapeared and Lillywhite got on board. Think back to Pop when Flood and Howie B replaced Nelle Hopper. Now Rubin, who they worked with in September, is nowhere to be seen and they are working with Eno/Lanois.
but when they were working with thomas, they had already been quoted as saying it would be for an album, same with POP,

so maybe they are just trying to stop people speculating as to when it will be out,

It is pretty vauge, but then the reporters keep asking the same questions. I guess it's a easy question to ask when you know a band is recording music.

I think the boys have learned from Pop that they don't want to pain themselves into a corner.

Question 1 : What is the sound?
Answer: Nothing concrete, still playing around, getting lost
i.e. We're not going to say something like "electronica", "Dance", "Roots".

Question 2: Is this for a album?
Answer: We don't know what it's for. Could be, could be not.
i.e. We don't want to have any chance of missing deadlines again. If we say it's album, people will expect it within a year.

I would really just like some details. Like Edge saying he's trying out new guitar sounds. Adam's style of playing. At least Larry is saying they're using different time for some of the songs.

Back
Top Bottom