Unseen Footage of U2 Jamming on New Songs Surfaces in Upcoming Daniel Lanois Document

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2FanPeter said:
What about U2 sending a video improv of them doing "Danny Boy" sent to Canadian TV when Lanois got his JUNO HOF induction?

Now that, I haven't heard of!

waynetravis said:

That does look like Larry in the trailer.
And the person with the guitar I thought was Adam.

Trailer 1's intro beat sounds Adam/Larry-ish.

that is not them. Most of the trailer is Daniel's band, Brian Blade on drums and yes, Adam on bass.. but Adam Samuels who is also Dan's technician, not Clayton.

Zoo_Fly said:
I just ordered tickets for 'Here Is What Is' on Sunday at the TIFF... I shall let ye all know how it is!

:adam:: "Can I come?"

I really wish I could go too, but I'm not really in the situation where I can do so at the moment.
I love Danny's solo work and to see how he works his magic would be awesome!
Watching U2 rehearse new stuff would be a bonus of course. ;)

Grindstone said:

I will be there too Zoo Fly :)

I ordered my tickets online early this morning, which was probably a good idea, since when I walked past the Box Office, the line went around the block! I'm looking forward to if not hearing near-completed work than at least witnessing jam sessions which will give us some indication of their direction from the Fez sessions.

Re: Unseen Footage of U2 Jamming on New Songs Surfaces in Upcoming Daniel Lanois Document

gump said:
From rollingstone.com

Can't wait to see it.

Footage of U2 rehearsing songs from their upcoming album will be included in the forthcoming Daniel Lanois documentary Here Is What Is, which is slated to debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in September. Lanois, the Grammy-winning famed U2 collaborator who produced The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, All That You Can’t Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (in addition to Bob Dylan’s Oh Mercy and Time Out of Mind) intends to demystify his working process with the feature-length documentary. Shot over eighteen months, the film features footage of Lanois in a Morocco studio with U2 and Brian Eno, plus guest appearanes by Sinead O’Connor, Emmylou Harris, Billy Bob Thornton, Brian Eno, Willie Nelson, Garth Hudson and Aaron Neville. All the music in the documentary is by Lanois, whose most recent solo album came out in 2005. Lanois promises the film will provide a deep look into his innermost creativity, and the movie’s description sounds downright trippy: “Lanois’ psychedelic past continues to haunt him throughout the film as the hyper-realism of the in-studio documentation is contrasted by moments of wild fantasia.”

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...rfaces-in-upcoming-daniel-lanois-documentary/

hot damn!! I WANNA SEE FOOTAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!:hyper: :hyper: :faint:

Zoo_Fly said:

I ordered my tickets online early this morning, which was probably a good idea, since when I walked past the Box Office, the line went around the block! I'm looking forward to if not hearing near-completed work than at least witnessing jam sessions which will give us some indication of their direction from the Fez sessions.

yeah, will be interesting. I wouldn't expect that much from the U2 part, the film was already (for the most part), complete before the Morocco sessions so this is all last minute additions. The film, which I have seen most of minus this new footage, is a great exploration into Dan's music and how the creative process comes together in the studio. I'm not really going to see this footage but I'm excited to see it nonetheless but I am sure it will hint but not really reveal anything they are not comfortable with revealing.

I'm going to see this at the premiere at the Toronto Film Festival tomorrow night...Daniel Lanois is an amazing, talented musician in his own right so regardless of the U2 clip, should be a great movie!

Good movie but I don't recommend it if you only want to hear new U2 as that didn't last longer than a minute.
But Daniel's music is absolutely beautiful and I'm glad this documentary was able to capture that...

Anyway, he said during the Q&A held afterwards (funny fellow that Lanois!) that his main focus right now is the new U2 album and they're all regrouping come November to continue the recording...

Anton Corbijn was at the screening too as he had done the recording of the Moroccan clips, which also featured quite a few interviews with Brian Eno - a funny, eccentric man!

Last edited:
no talking U2ers.. the minute or so of music seemed darker in contrast to what they've done in the past few years. one song was reminicent of LAPOE and another clip had Edge, Bono, Eno and Lanois all standing around a mic singing. I have a poor audio clip that i'll try to post tomorrow, but the film was very well done, and as ladywithspinninghead said, while it is'nt great for new U2 stuff, it captured Daniel's stuff brilliantly!

As long as the music sounds better than Danny looks I'm more than happy.
:ohmy: :giggle:

76621911.jpg

76621859.jpg

I know I'm not in PLEBA but it did seem better to post the pictures here.

Zoo_Fly said:
the minute or so of music seemed darker in contrast to what they've done in the past few years. one song was reminicent of LAPOE and another clip had Edge, Bono, Eno and Lanois all standing around a mic singing.

:up: Interference's very own spies. Did you make out any of the lyrics ?

Anyone remember the talk about a "blues sounding song" they played in France ? Maybe this could be the LAPOE-like song.

:hmm: Maybe multiple vocal harmonising by Edge, Bono, Eno and Lanois ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Ce3dDwZzI

Sorry all, I'm not too computer smart, I have no idea how to rip the audio from my digital camera video, nor how to convert this to MP3 or whatever the kids use these days :wink:

But I uploaded it to Youtube. The camera was hidden in my jacket so there's no picture (they were using night vision goggles, apparently, to spot piraters). The sound quality is pretty much the same as what I recorded off my camera.

Theres 3, maybe 4 songs in there only a few seconds of each. Nothing to get too excited about, but still cool to hear what they've been up to!

Sounds good.

The 3rd or 4th song sounds very good :drool:
Hopefully some clearer snippets surface, but I really like what I hear so far.

Thanks for sharing that!! :rockon:

I really can't hear that much... But sounds cool, I guess. Different.

Back
Top Bottom