Unkown Caller trying to rip off coldplays lost...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The brilliance of UC lies in its unexpected uplift from the lyrics, and the mixing of so many odd musical influences into one powerful and digestible song, I mean the chorus is like 1000 year old chant music, and a disorienting guitar solo to top it off. The thing is, more than most songs on NLOTH which as a whole requires a tad more attention to get the whole thing than the masses can spare, it really takes a few listens to understand and appreciate, but when you do... damn. So in the end, while people trouble me, if they write off material like NLOTH for lack of attention or musical/emotional understanding, that's their loss.
My sentiments exactly!

And for that matter UC is superior to anything on VLV

See, I hear no U2 on their first albums at all, and while it's obviously there on X&Y and VLVODAAHF, it's not as if Coldplay try and hide the fact that they've been inspired, and the songs still sound distinctively Coldplay to me.

I dunno how Martin's been egotistical in any way. I've always struggled with this. SO what if he says we are the second biggest band in the world at the moment, or whatever, it's the truth! Why lie and be all modest, when it's only false modesty?

i thought the guy from mercury rev made chris martin look like a normal, unassuming front man..

Whoever wrote that has shit for brains. Unknown Caller is about a million times better than Lost, and I actually think Lost is a pretty good song. Unknown Caller is the song of this decade!

:lol:

dec·ade (dkd, d-kd)
n.
1. A period of ten years.
2. A group or series of ten

Please give me the name of the stuff you are drinking/ taking because that must be one hell of a ride :rockon:

Whoever wrote that has shit for brains. Unknown Caller is about a million times better than Lost, and I actually think Lost is a pretty good song. Unknown Caller is the song of this decade!

It's one of the most experimental things U2 have done since Pop. Interesting because of the vocals, a proper guitar solo, but I could've done without the horns. Regardless, I can name dozens of better songs by U2, let alone other bands, from the last 10years.

As for Lost v UC, Goldplay is a poor U2 tribute band with pianos, barely better than Keane, but at least Keane admitted to having been a U2 cover band. Where I'm from Goldplay is mostly known as the Kings of Plagiarism.

Because of this thread I looked up Lost, and I quickly found out I had already heard it and switched off inside 1min. Simply put it's rubbish: MOR radio fodder. It's RTSS with African drumming, plus they're ripping off Simple Minds circa Real Life. Not a hint of UC, though.

It's quite clear that when U2 had done Pop, A&R guys went out there and started to look for new bands that could be like the "old U2" or whatever idea record companies had of the old U2 (more Bad than Elco more WOWY than BTBS etc.).

Ditto for KOL, I saw them live opening for Pearl Jam and they were atrocious, I guess they've shaved since, but that doesn't make them any better.:wink:

Well...i been involved in playing musical instruments for 32 yrs now, so got quite an educated musical ear, and i can honeslty say, that bar maye 2 seconds where the guitar part bears a passing resemblence....the 2 songs are as different as chalk and cheese

It's one of the most experimental things U2 have done since Pop. Interesting because of the vocals, a proper guitar solo, but I could've done without the horns. Regardless, I can name dozens of better songs by U2, let alone other bands, from the last 10years.

Dozens of U2 songs better than Unknown Caller? Like what? Beautiful Day, Vertigo, COB, Oots, SYCMIOYO..... None of them come close. I can't think of any U2 songs since the stuff they were doing on Pop or AB that are better than Unknown Caller. And as for the last ten years of music......nope cant think of any songs that challenge it either. I can't think of many really great songs from the past 10 years anyway.

since there are already five songs on NLOTH better than UC, it would seem pretty obvious that there is at least a dozen better U2 songs around from this decade alone. Dozens was probably a bit of a hyperbole on my account. As for other bands, this is more personal, but I can name at least one album, 5+1 tracks, all better than UC. I'm not going to boast which it is, but I can 100% guarantee it's not coldplay.

Beautiful Day, Vertigo, COB, Oots, SYCMIOYO...

Actually none of those would be my first choice :crack: perhaps Vertigo, but I think it's unfair to compare two such different songs directly.
I'm thinking MD, LAPOE, NY, Stateless, and from NLOTH: NLOTH, F-BB, Breathe, MOS, etc.

UC is a pretty cool song, I'm glad they made it, irrespective of some of the lame spoken lyrics midway through, but their best? Certainly not!

I can't think of many really great songs from the past 10 years anyway.

ok, now I see you're just yanking our chain...:shifty:

since there are already five songs on NLOTH better than UC, it would seem pretty obvious that there is at least a dozen better U2 songs around from this decade alone. Dozens was probably a bit of a hyperbole on my account. As for other bands, this is more personal, but I can name at least one album, 5+1 tracks, all better than UC. I'm not going to boast which it is, but I can 100% guarantee it's not coldplay.

Actually none of those would be my first choice :crack: perhaps Vertigo, but I think it's unfair to compare two such different songs directly.
I'm thinking MD, LAPOE, NY, Stateless, and from NLOTH: NLOTH, F-BB, Breathe, MOS, etc.

UC is a pretty cool song, I'm glad they made it, irrespective of some of the lame spoken lyrics midway through, but their best? Certainly not!

ok, now I see you're just yanking our chain...:shifty:

No honestly I can't. No yanking of chains here. But obviously it's all down to personal opinion. I think nloth is the best album this decade and UC up there with the best U2 songs.

:up:

I think it will be excellent live as well as long as they nail the group chorus.

I'm thinking the chorus might be the problem for a live version,. But a raw live version of this song musically with that solo on the end is probably the main reason I bought a ticket for the 360 tour! Yep if they can nail the chorus should be the highlight of the shows. I'm just wondering with that long intro whether they could use this as the song they start with.

:up:

I think it will be excellent live as well as long as they nail the group chorus.

Has U2 (as in all 4 members) ever sang in unison live? This could be a pretty unique an powerful moment. Even if Adam abstains.

Back
Top Bottom