Unknown Caller appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that's it!!

The album as a whole is continuing to grow on me. It's laden with meaning on so many levels, it's really reflective of the times we're in.

Has anyone mentioned or noticed that as the birds are tweeting there is a noise that I believe signifies the sound of a car horn that is stuck...say when a car goes off a cliff and person is slumped against it?

Also, completely agree with the person who said they hear a cell phone, although I would go one step further and say that it sounds like my cell phone on vibrate..

Has anyone mentioned or noticed that as the birds are tweeting there is a noise that I believe signifies the sound of a car horn that is stuck...say when a car goes off a cliff and person is slumped against it?

Also, completely agree with the person who said they hear a cell phone, although I would go one step further and say that it sounds like my cell phone on vibrate..

i don't know... feels like a call to prayer or something, to me... that's what it makes me think of...

The first time i heard this song i was blowing away,i wanted to listen to it over and over but had to hear the rest of the album first!lol It really is epic.

i dunno if this has been mentioned before, but the beginning of this song is very similar to the beginning of Kid A, which imho is a much better song. i stated on some other thread that my major problem with this song is the chorus (the whole restart and reboot yourself/shush now etc is just.....:huh:) this song had the potential of being SOOO much better!

This one has moved way up on my list...I truly believe it will go down as one of the band's best. :applaud:

Sorry if this has been discussed already but...

Is UC about a woman? I'm going with the line "Hear me, sister, speak, that I may speak." Others have interpreted that Bono's lines are "the person" and the chanted lines are "God", an interpretation I like. The chanted line referring to "sister" makes me think it's about a woman who's in trouble. What do you think?

well sometimes women are too busy yapping to listen i think is what bongo is trying to say here perhaps..:angry:

In my dream, on the next tour they'll go from Bad into Unknown Caller into Streets (I think the church organ at the end of UC could easily transform into the Streets intro) into Magnificent (remember how, during Popmart, they ended Streets with that techno build thing? That would replace the techno-ish intro to Magnificent).

Nothing should come after Streets unless it's an opener at a concert. Everything that follows it just can't hold up. It's to much of a beast. :wink:

This is the greatest song on the album. Phenomenal. I've talked about my interpretation elsewhere, so I won't elaborate again here.

I'd love to see Elbow open for U2, then come out during U2's set with the horns they use on "Starlings" and play the brass part of UC. :drool:

This is the greatest song on the album. Phenomenal.

:yes: I had no idea this would be my favourite. On the beach clips I was much more impressed with Breathe and Magnificent, but whoa. I think what really sells me (besides Edge's amazing solo of course) is the verses, with Bono's desperate vocals and Edge's beautiful guitarwork. Cool that it's different in each verse.

I feel like this album is good at making choruses you don't expect. The chorus for UC is joyous while the verses are full of longing, the chorus to Breathe is uplifting compared to the angrier verse, the chorus of MOS caught me completely off-guard...

okay, well, that's three examples at least :wink:

The solo is cool, but the rest of the song sounds really derivative. And not just because of the "ohh ohh ohh ohh" choruses that that are really overused on the album, or the cliche Adam Clayton descending bass line in the verse. All the other guitar parts are extremely reminiscent of Walk On, Miracle Drug and Electrical Storm. And I agree with a couple of posters - it sounds like it needs more reverb. That could have really opened it up and made it soar, especially with such a ripping guitar solo on hand. As it is, the drums are way too low and Edge's verse guitar riffs have nothing to rest themselves on or keep in time with. It all sounds quite awkward to me.

Oh, one last thing. I know they've mentioned consumer products in at least two songs (Coca Cola in Promenade, tons of stuff in Playboy Mansion). But, doesn't it seem especially shameless to throw in Mac references given that they practically got married to Apple in 2004?

:yes: I had no idea this would be my favourite. On the beach clips I was much more impressed with Breathe and Magnificent, but whoa. I think what really sells me (besides Edge's amazing solo of course) is the verses, with Bono's desperate vocals and Edge's beautiful guitarwork. Cool that it's different in each verse.

And on top of that one of Bono's best lyrics ever.
This song is perfection. :drool:

The solo is cool, but the rest of the song sounds really derivative. And not just because of the "ohh ohh ohh ohh" choruses that that are really overused on the album, or the cliche Adam Clayton descending bass line in the verse. All the other guitar parts are extremely reminiscent of Walk On, Miracle Drug and Electrical Storm. And I agree with a couple of posters - it sounds like it needs more reverb. That could have really opened it up and made it soar, especially with such a ripping guitar solo on hand. As it is, the drums are way too low and Edge's verse guitar riffs have nothing to rest themselves on or keep in time with. It all sounds quite awkward to me.

Oh, one last thing. I know they've mentioned products in at least two songs (Coca Cola in Promenade, tons of stuff in Playboy Mansion), but doesn't it seem especially shameless to throw in Mac references given that they're practically married to Apple?

Drums too low? Are we listening to the same song? ALL guitar parts reminiscent of Walk On, Miracle Drug & Electrical Storm??? Sure there's only the little part in the intro that's a bit like Walk On - I'm not getting your other references remotely...
Anyway, there's nothing awkward about this song to me. I think it's one of the most elegantly structured and dynamic things they have ever put together. And FFS get over the "Mac references". It's already been discussed in depth why that particular choice of phrase is so appropriate to the context of the song. To get hung up on the fact that it's Apple-related seems quite petty and small minded to me when there's so much on offer to enjoy lyrically and musically.

Remarkable song, love it. I personally think it's far superior to Moment of Surrender.

Edge is just mesmerising in this song, the timing of the guitars chimes in at all the right moments, often unpredictably, but always positioned perfectly.

This is highly innovative lyrically and conceptually, this is exactly what I was crying out for Bono to do.....and he's deliverd quite brilliantly.

Incredible song, one i doubt that they will play live. An album moment, like a Promenade...

I drool all over the birdsong. :drool:

I like hearing it in the build up to the solo. :up:

I didn't like UC the first time round- but musically I think it's fine but those awful awful lyrics in the chorus really are a problem- which is a shame because the rest of it is fine- even if the guitar riff sounds like ISHWILF

I just realized this is my favourite song on NLOTH. It is the most unique song on the album, and cuts so sharply from verse to chorus without it sounding abrupt or misplaced. It's stunningly put together in this respect. It is unexpected at almost every turn, yet sounds somehow natural at the same time. It's like going the speed of light and changing directions while in a warp field, immune to gravity, immune to the normal consequences of shifting melody lines and expectations. The song just resonates on so many levels.

My favourite line: "...and I sat there, waiting for me."

I'm not going to lie, I don't like this song that much. As a matter of fact, I think this song rates pretty low as far as U2 songs go. Why does everyone else think it's so great? Please, let me know; I've had trouble listening to this song thus far.

It's not only my favorite on the album, it's one of my favorite U2 songs ever. It just has that certain something that's found in their best songs like Bad and Streets -- the contrast between the despair and the hope. In six minutes it epitomizes their whole career.

It's not only my favorite on the album, it's one of my favorite U2 songs ever. It just has that certain something that's found in their best songs like Bad and Streets -- the contrast between the despair and the hope. In six minutes it epitomizes their whole career.

See, I can appreciate that summary of the song... That means a lot to someone who doesn't really understand the song... I'll listen better the next time...

See, I can appreciate that summary of the song... That means a lot to someone who doesn't really understand the song... I'll listen better the next time...

It's an uplifting song. I guess if you think of it as God communicating to you through your phone/computer and sending you in the proper direction away from despair it helps.

Back
Top Bottom