Unknown Caller appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dont know...not his greatest lyrics but the seem to fit the context of the song.

when they chant "shout for joy, if you get the chance" i get chills....

What I also found interesting in that interview is Larry saying Breathe was his favorite at the moment but it's likely to change. Sounds like many of the fans, myself included. I've 3 or 4 "favorites" already...

alright, not to sound trollish here, but this is REALLY startin to piss me off! im all for the whole music-is-subjective and to-each-his-own philosophy, and hav no problem watsoever with ppl loving this song, but hearin ppl call this the "best U2 song ever" is a tad too much!! hell, I don't even think it's that bad a song!! and actually I really shouldn't be bothered if some ppl DO think of this as the best song U2 hav ever done, but are u ppl HONESTLY sayin that Unknown Caller is better than Streets??? Better than Bad??? With Or Without You? One??!!?!?!!!?!?????? Beautiful Day??? Running to Stand Still????? I could go on but I don't think I have enough space.

I get the whole excitement with the new stuff, and ppl goin a bit overboard cuz of it. but my GOD, draw a line somewhere to the insanity ppl!!! :|

alright, not to sound trollish here, but this is REALLY startin to piss me off! im all for the whole music-is-subjective and to-each-his-own philosophy, and hav no problem watsoever with ppl loving this song, but hearin ppl call this the "best U2 song ever" is a tad too much!! hell, I don't even think it's that bad a song!! and actually I really shouldn't be bothered if some ppl DO think of this as the best song U2 hav ever done, but are u ppl HONESTLY sayin that Unknown Caller is better than Streets??? Better than Bad??? With Or Without You? One??!!?!?!!!?!?????? Beautiful Day??? Running to Stand Still????? I could go on but I don't think I have enough space.

I get the whole excitement with the new stuff, and ppl goin a bit overboard cuz of it. but my GOD, draw a line somewhere to the insanity ppl!!! :|

but if that's someone else's opinion, why does it bother you so much?

I take your point and while all those songs you listed are great, none of them are my fave U2 songs, and that's the point. My favourite U2 sound different to your favourite U2. I love Your Blue Room and Love Is Blindness more than any of the above. Therefore Unknown Caller fits in with my favourite U2 probably more than yours... Opinions, eh?

in studio? it's better than bad. way better than one. and it's close with running to stand still....and it's probably better than beautiful day.

IN MY OPINION.

I take your point and while all those songs you listed are great, none of them are my fave U2 songs, and that's the point. My favourite U2 sound different to your favourite U2. I love Your Blue Room and Love Is Blindness more than any of the above. Therefore Unknown Caller fits in with my favourite U2 probably more than yours... Opinions, eh?
Your Blue Room is probably the best thing U2 have ever done. In my opinion, of course.

You need to go listen to Unknown Caller again...in my opinion.

I agree with Edge, this is probably the best on the album.

I think it's definitely one of the most inventive and interesting songs U2 has ever done. It's too soon for me to decide if I think it's one of the best (though, right now, I don't see why not!).

Im a big fan of the lyrics

I really am, too. I think they work perfectly in the context of the song, and I find them personally relevant, too.

...she said, after she's been staring at a computer screen for xx number of hours today. :lol:

i think this may end up being one of my fav U2 songs of all time....best on album along with breathe, imo

I really am, too. I think they work perfectly in the context of the song, and I find them personally relevant, too.

exactly. i don't get why people don't like the lyrics. as long as you know the concept behind the song, it's not too hard to appreciate. and at least he's not singing about healing and knees. :wink:

i think this may end up being one of my fav U2 songs of all time....best on album along with breathe, imo

Wow... I'm here in this thread to understand. For me, it's my least favorite track, and I can't quite figure out why - something about the "oh oh oh" chorus with everyone singing bugs me. I'm honestly shocked that some people would list this as their "best on album" or "best of all time". Can anyone explain their opinions? What specifically hits you about this track? The lyrics? Anything in particular? Thanks!

:wave:

Sometimes you just like a song, and there's no need to explain it. You can try and explain why you love a song to someone who doesn't like it, but sometimes it just comes down to the way it makes you feel, you know?

It's just one of those things sometimes. :)

That being said, I like the lyrical theme of the song, I like the lyrics, I like the layered vocals in the chorus, I like the chanty chorus, I like the "oh oh oh oh oh" parts. I just like the way the song makes me feel.

Sonically this has really grown on me and it's one of my favourites on No Line. I just wish lyrically it wasn't another (yawn) clumsily camouflaged 'conversation with God', complete with (another, double-yawn) Biblical reference (3.33). Please Bono, in the name of all holy and unholy, write at least one song that has a foothold in the secular world too - y'know, the world we all have to deal with on a daily basis? Otherwise you're starting to sound pretty one dimensional. Achtung Baby was great because it still had spirituality in its bones but each song worked on all kinds of levels, so you could leave God alone if you wanted.
On No Line, he's clumsily wheeled out in nearly every track. Ok sorry, rant over, still loving the music...

I still like it. I think the music is a 10, and the chorus is an 8 or 9. Hard to totally appreciate it for me, still sounds weird. Not bad, just weird. I wonder if it will just be Bono and Edge singing it, or if they will get Larry and maybe even Adam to put in some of the chanting. That would be badass! :rockon:

Wow... I'm here in this thread to understand. For me, it's my least favorite track, and I can't quite figure out why - something about the "oh oh oh" chorus with everyone singing bugs me. I'm honestly shocked that some people would list this as their "best on album" or "best of all time". Can anyone explain their opinions? What specifically hits you about this track? The lyrics? Anything in particular? Thanks!

:wave:

Yah the lyrics with the melody combination plus after all the vocals are done when that keyboard organ chord hits and builds up to Edge's guitar solo.:drool:

Sonically this has really grown on me and it's one of my favourites on No Line. I just wish lyrically it wasn't another (yawn) clumsily camouflaged 'conversation with God', complete with (another, double-yawn) Biblical reference (3.33). Please Bono, in the name of all holy and unholy, write at least one song that has a foothold in the secular world too - y'know, the world we all have to deal with on a daily basis? Otherwise you're starting to sound pretty one dimensional. Achtung Baby was great because it still had spirituality in its bones but each song worked on all kinds of levels, so you could leave God alone if you wanted.
On No Line, he's clumsily wheeled out in nearly every track. Ok sorry, rant over, still loving the music...

I'm not bashing you for your opinion, because I'm certain that you aren't alone in how you feel. However, it is almost comical to me that you somehow think "the world you have to deal with on a daily basis" doesn't have God in it. To me, it's the equivalent of saying, "I'm tired of hearing all this appreciation for oxygen! Why can't somebody talk about an element that is important to us all the time?! I don't ever see or taste oxygen, so it's not something my life is centered around - I don't understand it! Let's talk about real elements like gold or lead!"

Maybe Bono has discovered that there is only ONE dimension that truly matters?

I really don't care for all the computer jargon in UC myself, but I think it is a beautiful song. I would argue that 100% of the "secular" world would miss the connection between "3:33 on the clockface" and Jeremiah 33:3 - heck, probably 99% of all people hunting a Biblical reference would miss that if there wasn't other background evidence and comments by the band at other times.

Yeah I can honestly say IT IS better than Beautiful Day which wouldn't even get in my top 50 U2 songs. BD is probably the most overrated U2 song EVER, well that and Vertigo. So yeah I can honestly say UC is definetly better than all of the songs on ATYCLB and all of the songs on HTDAAB and is probably the best song they have done in 12 years. I also would rate Breathe and NLOTH as also better than anything on the past 2 albums. Yeah them 3 songs are also probably better than Running to Standstill but regards Streets, WOWY, One or Bad.......I'll get back to you on that one in 2 or 3 years time! But I can definetly say better than the other songs u mentioned. By the way I've been listening to UC since last August and not just for the past 3 weeks so I've had the time to judge it even though it was only beach clips, u could still hear how good the song was.:wink:

I'm not bashing you for your opinion, because I'm certain that you aren't alone in how you feel. However, it is almost comical to me that you somehow think "the world you have to deal with on a daily basis" doesn't have God in it. To me, it's the equivalent of saying, "I'm tired of hearing all this appreciation for oxygen! Why can't somebody talk about an element that is important to us all the time?! I don't ever see or taste oxygen, so it's not something my life is centered around - I don't understand it! Let's talk about real elements like gold or lead!"

Maybe Bono has discovered that there is only ONE dimension that truly matters?

I really don't care for all the computer jargon in UC myself, but I think it is a beautiful song. I would argue that 100% of the "secular" world would miss the connection between "3:33 on the clockface" and Jeremiah 33:3 - heck, probably 99% of all people hunting a Biblical reference would miss that if there wasn't other background evidence and comments by the band at other times.

The world I have to deal with everyday doesn't have god in it cos unless your religious and believe in some higher power which I don't then why would it?

Anyway didn't know that about 3:33 was a reference to the bible. Not a god believer here or a bible reader so that one would escape me. Great song though.

Back
Top Bottom