U2's question 2U, 1 week later, how u like me now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FAN4LIFE

The Fly
Sorry for that awful thread title.

Having been a hardcore fan since 1991 at the age of 16 when I first heard the "The Fly" I've been through several releases and my fandom has fluctuated over the years. I have to say that 1991 to 1993 were amazing, I basically absorbed all of the back catalogue in between AB and Zooropa and the band was on top of the world at the time. Zooropa was the ultimate "headphone" music, I remember that I'd lay in bed with my Koss headphones after an evening of studies and just hit play. By the time lemon played I was totally mellowed out and relaxed... of course the "alarm" sound at the end of the disc nearly gave me a cardiac event on a couple occasions.

The last two years on the other hand I've been disinterested and have pretty much written them off. Aside from the middle 3 I really loved NLOTH (and still love MOS/F-BB/COL/WAS) but the shine has worn off quite a bit. All the negative news about the new album has not helped any.

The last week on the other hand has been quite a shock. They have released a very interesting and cohesive album. And they did it by surprise, no leaks, no real beach clips, and very little fanfare/promotion aside from the event on Tuesday. There have been no really awkward moments either, I'm still traumatized when thinking of Bono in "guy-liner" :ohmy:. Its fun to be a fan again, especially with the possibility that we may see SOE in the not too distant future.

Anyhow, how has this last week changed your perception of the band and your fandom?

Love them even more when i didnt think that was possible.

Listening to the album on repeat and havent found a track to skip yet. Love it love it love it

Well, the surprise release definitely surprised me. I didn't think a band as enormously huge as U2 could pull off something like this with practically no news leaking out, no song leaks etc. NLOTH had already kind of restored my faith in them after a somewhat disappointing decade. But when I first heard Songs of Innocence it felt like there were practically no memorable songs on this album. Thankfully (because this is U2 and a band I've loved and followed for years!) I gave the album many more chances before dismissing it on one listen. I'm glad I did. I like this album well enough now even if there is no way it can touch my Top 5 or 6 fav albums. But it is a very good effort at this stage of their career.

In other words, my fandom was already somewhat restored after NLOTH. Now it has just become even more strong. But I will probably never get as crazy fanboyish as I got in the 90s.

Love them even more when i didnt think that was possible.

Listening to the album on repeat and havent found a track to skip yet. Love it love it love it

Nice to hear, as much as I've enjoyed the content of the album after about a half dozen listens I'm holding back now for the CD and hoping it will sound a bit better than the iTunes mix. There is something about cracking open the case, flipping through the booklet, etc., and I want the tunes to still be fresh.

I have been a fan since 85. So I've been thru a lot of changes needless to say.
I was so-so on ATYCLB since I thought that the great trilogy of AB, Zooropa, POP was just the best.

I feel Bomb was on the blah side, but ok. And NLOTH had a good leap forward for me. Such cool standouts, unfortunately marred by some real clunkers.

Then came Invisible and OL. I was SO disappointed. Both felt very flat and forced and disconnected to me. I was actually kind of mad when I heard them. LOL.

So I approached the release of the new album with a lot of hesitance. But, not only was the album, for the most part, immediate and new and just overall great, the more I listen, the better it gets. Which was the opposite for me with the last 3 albums. The more I listened the more songs I started to just skip all together.

This one, I just love. A leap forward again, more real and honest and smooth delivery vocally and stronger lyrics overall. Which really is important to my listening.
Still trying to get more into SFS and TIWYCRM, but I still like them, just not as much as I LOVE the rest.

I was so-so on ATYCLB since I thought that the great trilogy of AB, Zooropa, POP was just the best.

I feel Bomb was on the blah side, but ok. And NLOTH had a good leap forward for me. Such cool standouts, unfortunately marred by some real clunkers.

Then came Invisible and OL. I was SO disappointed. Both felt very flat and forced and disconnected to me. I was actually kind of mad when I heard them. LOL.

So I approached the release of the new album with a lot of hesitance. But, not only was the album, for the most part, immediate and new and just overall great, the more I listen, the better it gets. Which was the opposite for me with the last 3 albums. The more I listened the more songs I started to just skip all together.

This one, I just love. A leap forward again, more real and honest and smooth delivery vocally and stronger lyrics overall. Which really is important to my listening.
Still trying to get more into SFS and TIWYCRM, but I still like them, just not as much as I LOVE the rest.

Aside from the fact I love SFS, I could have written this post. Couldn't agree more.

For me, a big part of the up-surge is that Bono found a lyrical muse again that is both compelling to the listener and draws out his poetry again. For too much of the last decade it seemed like he was forcing cliches upon us with only a few glimpses of his best (like MOS, etc.).

I'm genuinely happy for them that they made a really good album in their mid 50's.

Very simple, I know, but that's my overall feeling.

I've been a fan since 2001, but I didn't get into hardcore territory until U2360º kicked off. The huge delay between albums had me skeptical that they couldn't pull off a great album. When Invisible came out, my expectations rose because I loved the song, but I was still skeptical.

1 week later, I can't help but feel proud of what they've accomplished, so late in their career. It still feels surreal that they released an album for free, and as a surprise. I'm loving SoI, it's a great album - and none of the songs are worth skipping.

Now I'm just waiting for the tour. :waiting:

I'm genuinely happy for them that they made a really good album in their mid 50's.

:up:

It is simple, but so true. When you think about it, it really is an accomplishment to think that a band, together for almost 40 years is still the go to band for the worlds most influential tech company. And still have people eagerly awaiting what they will give us.

Pretty cool.

Love this comment. 100%

One of the things that has annoyed me about this band over the last 15 years is all the nonsense about "reapplying for the job", "relevance" etc. These guys should hopefully have a bit of their swagger back.

I don't want to live in a world where The Troubles doesn't exist. And until last week, I had been living in that world.

I really love this album. It's going to stick with me for a long time. I'm grateful for that.

"the more I listen, the better it gets" - this

"This one, I just love" - and this.

It makes me laugh when anyone states "it's not their best"..."it'll never be in my top 3"...it's been out a week, that is absolutely a tiny barometer to measure.

When AB came out it took me a YEAR to really comprehend and understand how truly GREAT that album was. It is the album I refer to whenever someone asks me what my favorite album is.

SOI is amazing, the song writing and craftsmanship is top notch. Sure the production is very 'modern' (or 'pop' or 'slick' or whatever), but the heart of the subject matter resonates in each song and makes a connection to the listener. Those kind of songs make up U2's best material over the years.

NLOTH is an interesting recording, but there are a few :huh: moments on that album. As much as I like the 'individual' songs on HTDAAB, as a whole album there is something strange about it. SOI feels right (I'm avoiding Nick's buzzwords), it feels now, it feels like it belongs here and today.

I believe it will move up into a lot of listener's/fan's Top 5 albums...give it time.

It makes me laugh when anyone states "it's not their best"..."it'll never be in my top 3"...it's been out a week, that is absolutely a tiny barometer to measure.

Yep. I'd guess that the majority of posters here have been fans for over 20 years. AB & JT have therefore had a 20+ year "head start" on SOI for most posters. If you love U2 its probably because the band's music has resonated on a personal level and you can't expect SOI to compete with the "soundtrack" to your first kiss, first break-up, first born, hardship.... etc.

I just realized there is a "shifty" emoticon next to this thread. Is there something wrong with my posting this thread here :reject:... long time reader but infrequent poster. Just want to be sure I've not broken any rules.
Cheers

having listened to NLOTH again I can safely say SOI is their best album since Pop. i adored NLOTH when it came out, and still love a lot of the tracks, but there's something about it that feels...messy?...in comparison to SOI.

SOI really feels like a classic to me. give it time, I think it'll be considered one of the greats.

Yep. I'd guess that the majority of posters here have been fans for over 20 years. AB & JT have therefore had a 20+ year "head start" on SOI for most posters. If you love U2 its probably because the band's music has resonated on a personal level and you can't expect SOI to compete with the "soundtrack" to your first kiss, first break-up, first born, hardship.... etc.

Totally agree, but who knows what you're going to experience with this album...:hmm:

SOI is one of those albums that sounds safe because it's easy on the ears, but I think will resonate with time.

When AB came out it took me a YEAR to really comprehend and understand how truly GREAT that album was. It is the album I refer to whenever someone asks me what my favorite album is.

Funny you should mention that. I distinctly recall getting AB based on loving The Fly and when I listened to the whole album the first couple of times I actually thought it was a bit boring and underwhelming.

It started to really grow on me and got to the point where it is the one piece of music that I worship as near perfection. It is the Holy Grail album upon which I measure all other works. A complete masterpiece.

Amazing that on first listen I wasn't really into it.

I am reasonably certain I have listened to SoI -- start-to-finish -- more times already than I have done with NLOTH in the past 5+ years. Which is why I am now taking a break from SoI.

I can't remember the last time I listened to NLOTH, or even HTDAAB, period, never mind all the way through. Within the past year or so, though, I have listened to Boy, October, War, TUF, JT, AB all the way thru.

Over time things will settle down but I'll be curious if I put SoI in my top 5 all-time album rankings at some point down the road, e.g., next year.

Someone somewhere put it best -- "it's like a mashup of JT and AB."

Funny you should mention that. I distinctly recall getting AB based on loving The Fly and when I listened to the whole album the first couple of times I actually thought it was a bit boring and underwhelming.

It started to really grow on me and got to the point where it is the one piece of music that I worship as near perfection. It is the Holy Grail album upon which I measure all other works. A complete masterpiece.

For me I was already a long time fan, and it was the 'harsh' change in sound/style that threw me off. I loved all the histrionics and the preachy, political lyrics up to R&H. AB was soooo different, but it grew and grew on me. As much as I had a hard time with the change in direction it was compelling until, like you I realized it was classic. Good memories...so long ago...LOL.

I expected more brilliant and powerful work from u2, but I did not expect to hear this vitality from them again.

Even the songs which are weakest IMO on the album, California and Song for Someone, are full of life in a way in which better songs on NLOTH and HTDAAB weren't.

Some of my favorite songs (Dirty Day, Love is Blindness, The first time) in particular) took years to really hook me. In the case of Dirty Day it was watching ZooTV Sydney when it finally came out on DVD and being floored by the performance. With "the first time" it was the period shortly after my son (first of two kids) was born and I was feeling new emotions and appreciating my wonderful wife and family in a different way than I had before and the song just captured that. Anyhow, its definitely the slow growers that often come out on top.

I'm not sure SOI has a "long term grower" like the ones I mentioned above but if SOE continues where Troubles left off I think there may be a couple on the next album. I'm enjoying SOI very much though.

having listened to NLOTH again I can safely say SOI is their best album since Pop. i adored NLOTH when it came out, and still love a lot of the tracks, but there's something about it that feels...messy?.QUOTE]

That messiness you feel? For me, its SUC, GOYB, and Crazy Tonight. Replace those tunes with Winter, Mercy and anything but Crazy Tonight and you have a more cohesive album in my opinion.

SOI has two halves for me but the album still fits nicely together.

For me I was already a long time fan, and it was the 'harsh' change in sound/style that threw me off. I loved all the histrionics and the preachy, political lyrics up to R&H. AB was soooo different, but it grew and grew on me. As much as I had a hard time with the change in direction it was compelling until, like you I realized it was classic. Good memories...so long ago...LOL.

Ditto for me. I was a big fan before AB. But absolutely ditto.

I love the album more now than the first few spins I heard it

Sent from my SM-T210 using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom