U2's new album to be recorded in Vancouver!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given that they are going to finish one "part" of the tour in March I guess they'll release it in December or May. May being more lilkely.

I live in Vancouver but I'm overseas now... I actually wouldn't be surprised if they did record there. U2 and R.E.M. share a lot of recording secrets and R.E.M. have recorded parts of their last 3 or 4 albums in Van. Having said that, if the tour ends near the end of the year, then all bets are off. Why? Because of Van in winter. Here are the two seasons in Vancouver:
1) May to November = paradise
2) December to April = endless hell of rain

So, if it's gonna be December or later, then I wouldn't record there, if I were them!

and Dublin winters are much better?

I hear Adam wants to take up skiing at Seymour.

:wink:

After the winter we had previously? Without a doubt, yes. :crack: :laugh:

I could see them maybe sticking around for a little while, but since we have the Olympics in February, I'd want to get the hell out of the city well before then.

There may be tax reasons -and Edge is only a couple hours away from LA.

Warehouse is actually one of the best studios in the world. Jimmy Page and Paul McCartney have checked the place out. It has the original road mixing board. It's near the Pan Pacific Hotel at Canada Place, where the band has stayed on previous visits.

Bono checked out the studio in early 1999 according to local reports at the time.

I have a couple Fairbairn conections, so I'll ask around a bit.

I thought he was from Sheffield?

He may live there, but i'm pretty sure he's originally from Squamish BC which is near Whistler. both within 2 hours of Vancouver. I think it got mentioned when he was interviewed on Canadian TV, and why there is a desktop Canadian flag at the mixing desk along with other crew nationality flags.

A notion just hit me regarding SOA. All this speculation on finishing it and releasing it. I'll tell ya when it'll be out. Not December of this year, but I think before Leg 3 of the tour in 2010 (I'm thinking between March and May). I say this because there has been no announcement regarding a 360 DVD or even the filming of a DVD. I feel like perhaps they are waiting to make a tour video until they are playing the highest percentage of new material on the tour (Much like how the Zoo TV video wasn't shot until the tail-end of the tour)...making for concert footage filled with songs from both NLOTH and SOA and a release for the holiday shopping season of 2010. But wait...why not release a new album by the end of 2009? They could still capitalize on this year's holiday season. Well, I figure at least this time around, they are probably satisfied with the sales being brought in by tickets and the sales that will be generated by the re-master of The Unforgettable Fire.

And yes, the thought is already crossing my mind...Fall 2011...Achtung Baby 20th Anniversary perhaps?

I doubt they consider remasters very much, in planning the release of a new album. I recall that the sales for the remasters are extremely low.

As well, it appears this North American jaunt may be the only one in the vicinity in support of No Line On The Horizon. There are no plans for a second North American leg what with a summer European tour in 2010 in the works.

maybe I took that the wrong way, but isn't that pretty much saying next tour they are going to just skip North America? According to whoever wrote this anyway.

He may live there, but i'm pretty sure he's originally from Squamish BC which is near Whistler. both within 2 hours of Vancouver. I think it got mentioned when he was interviewed on Canadian TV, and why there is a desktop Canadian flag at the mixing desk along with other crew nationality flags.

He was born on 20th of August 1959 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and raised in Sheffield, England, son of Robert Woodman Williams, a singer & medical practitioner who was an early pioneer in the then fledgling field of physiotherapy and who also sang with South Yorkshire Opera. Williams excelled at mathematics and science in school and planned to study physics at University College, London. The advent of punk rock caused him enter the music scene instead, and he began doing lights for various bands such as Writz, Deaf School and Stiff Little Fingers. Hearing U2's album Boy and determined to work with them, he contacted U2's manager Paul McGuinness and got the job.

He was born on 20th of August 1959 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and raised in Sheffield, England, son of Robert Woodman Williams, a singer & medical practitioner who was an early pioneer in the then fledgling field of physiotherapy and who also sang with South Yorkshire Opera. Williams excelled at mathematics and science in school and planned to study physics at University College, London. The advent of punk rock caused him enter the music scene instead, and he began doing lights for various bands such as Writz, Deaf School and Stiff Little Fingers. Hearing U2's album Boy and determined to work with them, he contacted U2's manager Paul McGuinness and got the job.
thank you mrs williams :)

U2 *IS* recording in Vancouver

Just so you know, the boys are in Vancouver, and are recording at The Armoury (Armoury Recording Studios).

My son works at Long & McQuade and one of his co-workers was in the studio last week. Apparently, they mic'd the Edge's Vox amp with 13 mics.

Peace to all.

Last week U2 were in New York in a recording studio, look at this interview:

Bono on the Globes, the Pixies, Colin Farrell and Spike Jonze | The Hollywood Reporter | Risky Business | Film Reviews, Movie News and Interviews

"There you go. Everyone will expect you to go up there and throw the f-bomb. Go up there and paint SOY BOMB on your chest and rip your jacket off. Where are you right now?
I’m in Manhattan. We’re in the studio."

Now, for the festivities Bono has been busking for a charity in Grafton Street inthe centre of Dublin and yesterday he attended Leopardtown horse races with his family as he always does every St. Stephen's Day, but the great news is that they are talking about a new album to be released next June, just before the tour resumes :yippie:, look at this article in the Irish Independent:

U2 make fans' Christmas as they reveal plans for their next album - News & Gossip, Entertainment - Independent.ie

I've just spent a year working in Vancouver, an amazing city and there is a lot to get inspired by to make a record.
I am gutted about missing out on the Winter Olympics there, as I would have been helping out with the television coverage on Grouse Mountain. They are hoping to drastically improve the homeless situation and pan handling by February, because it was terrible when I was there, literally on every street corner and whenever you crossed the road when you were Downtown.

Just so you know, the boys are in Vancouver, and are recording at The Armoury (Armoury Recording Studios).

My son works at Long & McQuade and one of his co-workers was in the studio last week. Apparently, they mic'd the Edge's Vox amp with 13 mics.

Peace to all.

Why are U2 recording at the cities 2nd best recording studio? The Warehouse in Gastown hosted REM, ACDC and McCartney and has a international reputation and funded by Bryan Adams. The Armoury is the late producer Bruce Fairbairn's legacy to the city.

13 mics is nuts, even by Edge's standards. Players like SRV or Eric Johnson didn't go that far and they're bigger "tone" freaks than U2. You won't find photos of Edge's studio/live rig that is that elaborate.

Obviously the band members were in Malibu/NYC/Europe for Xmas, but I could see them sneaking up. For the Vertigo tour production rehearsals they were in town the day after the RRHOF and spent all St. Patties day working.

No way. The Vancouver thing didn't make any sense in November and it certainly doesn't now.

Couldn't have anything to do with money, could it? (Gasp! How dare I suggest that U2 would make a decision based on money! ;) )

Lots of movies and albums being recorded/made in Vancover recently...due to a very favorable business climate for those choosing to do so...

Couldn't have anything to do with money, could it? (Gasp! How dare I suggest that U2 would make a decision based on money! ;) )

Lots of movies and albums being recorded/made in Vancover recently...due to a very favorable business climate for those choosing to do so...

But they own their own studio... so that theory doesn't make a lot of sense. Filming and recording are two entirely different things when it comes to money.

I don't really get this "cost-analysis" thing, though, because Van is a damn expensive city and Canadian taxes are higher than those in the US. It obviously made more sense in the 90s to early 2000s when the Canadian dollar was unusually low, but now that it's almost back to par with the greenback, I'd have to think they're choosing the place simply because they like it. I mean, if they want to save money, they could go to the Caribbean or something -- why not record at Monserrat in the winter rather than Dublin or Canada?

I could be wrong about this, but I think that U2 have a bit of money...

maybe the band want to record in Vancouver so they can be around for the Olympics and all the surrounding hoopla

Back
Top Bottom