* U218 Videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelaj

Refugee
What is with the packaging on this? It looks like a stretched CD jewel case. Fine, saves space and therefore good, but why not release all their other releases in this packaging type?

Also, is it just the UK or do people's 18 Singles regular CD have weird rounded corners? Never seen that before...

Just wanted to share a few thoughts about the DVD.

First, why only PCM sound on all tracks? All of the tracks 1991 ahead have surround sound at least, and the others could surely have been converted.

A second annoyance is having alternate versions of SIAMYCGOO & Walk On in the playlist, meaning when you click "Play all" it has the same song twice in a row. A minor issue, but it smacks of laziness. Why not have it seperately like on 90-2000 DVD?

3) Why the live version of Saints instead of the video released? There appears to be no valid reason for this (like there is in the case of SBS). EVen if they just "liked" the performance, they could have bothered to remove the "Rhapsody" banner from the bottom!

4) No WITS. Inexcusable. I don't care that the video wasn't ready in time, something should have given. I don't often criticise the band, but this just smacks of greed. Logically, U218 videos & singles should share a tracklist, and most buyers would assume it did.

5) Amusing quote from "Making of Vertigo":
(paraphrased) Bono "the test of these songs is how many we play live, and I wanna play all of them"

Funny to see only 3 Bomb songs in some 5th leg shows then B-Man

6) Vertigo (Lisbond Version) is very good, never seen it before. It has a real 90's vibe going on, a bit like The Fly vs Discotheque. Also makes a change to see a non-performance video with the band having some fun (cf. Bono Dancing)

Hey Hey, Sha lala!

I know they have played many of the songs live which is great, but 5th leg setlist is no comparison to earlier. 3 songs from the album they are touring. I know there are many responses (WITS & Saints are current; making up for lack of Pacific touring etc) but the point remains that the band are doubtless less enthused now than when that clip was taken.

Still, that wasn't the main point of my post :p

Boy Tour (Boy) played 10 of 11
October Tour (October) 8/11
War Tour (War) 7/10
The Unforgettable Fire Tour (TUF) 7/10
The Joshua Tree Tour (TJT) 10/11
Lovetown Tour (R&H) 8/12 (new material)
ZOO TV Tour (Achtung Baby/Zooropa) 11/12 & 7/10 respectively
Popmart Tour (Pop) 11/12
Elevation Tour (ATYCLB) 10/12 (inc TGBHF)
Vertigo Tour (HTDAAB) 10/12 (inc Fast Cars)

Anyway, that is a rather meaningless metric, since the regularity of played songs must be counted...

Last edited:
thelaj said:
What is with the packaging on this? It looks like a stretched CD jewel case. Fine, saves space and therefore good, but why not release all their other releases in this packaging type?

Also, is it just the UK or do people's 18 Singles regular CD have weird rounded corners? Never seen that before...

Just wanted to share a few thoughts about the DVD.

First, why only PCM sound on all tracks? All of the tracks 1991 ahead have surround sound at least, and the others could surely have been converted.

A second annoyance is having alternate versions of SIAMYCGOO & Walk On in the playlist, meaning when you click "Play all" it has the same song twice in a row. A minor issue, but it smacks of laziness. Why not have it seperately like on 90-2000 DVD?

3) Why the live version of Saints instead of the video released? There appears to be no valid reason for this (like there is in the case of SBS). EVen if they just "liked" the performance, they could have bothered to remove the "Rhapsody" banner from the bottom!

Here's another why. Why buy it?

Because there are only a few overlapping songs on the 90-2000 DVD, and I wanted the rest on DVD. Since I am a completist, I would have bought it anyway, but I had an Amazon voucher to use (which was nice).

thelaj said:

:shrug: Don't know why they went that way, but I really don't care either way...as long as I get the DVD!

I didn't get the regular CD...just the deluxe edition...so I don't have a regular CD case for my Singles disc.

I guess I'm not a big enough sound geek (and I don't say that with offense) to even notice such differences. :shrug: :reject:

I don't really mind it...although I was watching it the other day, and my boyfriend was down in the basement, so he could only hear it. When a second vid started for the same song, he yelled, "Didn't you just listen to this???" :laugh:

I would have liked to get the Saints video, but I had never seen the live version, so I was happy to not only see it, but to have it on DVD. Yeah, I thought having the Rhapsody banner on the bottom though was kind of annoying...but at least it wasn't there the entire time.

4) No WITS. Inexcusable. I don't care that the video wasn't ready in time, something should have given. I don't often criticise the band, but this just smacks of greed. Logically, U218 videos & singles should share a tracklist, and most buyers would assume it did.

I do think it's kind of odd that there's no video for WITS, and I admit I was a little disappointed by that...I would have loved to have something, and seeing as how it's the new song on the Singles disc to add some enticement to buying it, it's just kind of silly for there to be no WITS on the DVD.

5) Amusing quote from "Making of Vertigo":
(paraphrased) Bono "the test of these songs is how many we play live, and I wanna play all of them"

Funny to see only 3 Bomb songs in some 5th leg shows then B-Man

I don't follow setlists all that closely, so I really don't have a comment on that.

Overall, I think the DVD is great. I am so glad they released it. :love:

Re: Re: Re: * U218 Videos

J_NP said:

To give Bono money for his new yachts

He doesn't buy yachts...he 'borrows' from others.

Seriously...if U2 had recorded the WITS video in time for the release I'm sure they would have included it. So that leads me to believe me to think that they just wanted it out for the xmas market and 'fuck' to the fact that it's incomplete. Shame on them. Maybe they'll re-release at a later stage and call it 'The Complete U218 Videos'.

thelaj said:

The non-deluxe version of Vertigo Chicago was released in the same packaging style.

I was bugged by the disappointing double dipping in the main tracklist as well. I'm glad they included both, but one set should have been in the bonus section.

it's inexcusable to have not put the Promo version of Saints on there. I had to buy it a week later on iTunes? That's a rip off. We should have gotten both. I didn't mind the music rising banner; after all, that's what the performance and song were for. As long as the number's still active; otherwise it's kind of dumb.

At least there's a minor excuse for not having WITS on there. They wanted the DVD out before Christmas and the video isn't done yet. But whatever concert they release on DVD next, they should include it as a bonus, just to be fair to us.

The DVD case - they've been using that one for a while on their regular additions.. I know they used it for Vertigo Chicago & ZooTV Sydney and I believe U2 Go Home as well..

I hated the bonus features. I don't want anymore One or Vertigo videos, it was all just a bunch of duplicate junk to fill out the DVD. On the Best of DVD, they gave us the balance of the videos from the 1990's even though they weren't on the CD. Should have done that for 18 as well. We should have gotten:

COBL
OOTS
ABOY

And why not really make it worth while for the fans and finally release the remainder of the 80's videos that can only be gotten on tape still:

I Will Follow
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad - The original, not a Rattle & Hum clip
One Tree Hill
Angel Of Harlem
When Love Comes To Town
All I Want Is You

OOTS video is amazing :drool:

But actually I'm glad that they included the other cuts of Stuck and Walk On, the US videos for those stunk.

I quite the like packaging for it, I just wish it matched the deluxe version of the other releases! Anyhow, it saves space at least :)

Am I the only one who likes that Vertigo [Lisbon Version] ?

Honestly I haven't looked at the bonus videos yet, I'll have to check that out soon.

thelaj said:
I quite the like packaging for it, I just wish it matched the deluxe version of the other releases! Anyhow, it saves space at least :)

I like that video! Got it originally on one of the Vertigo singles awhile back.

thelaj said:

lol I love the attitude larry has in it! and his nice FOAD moment! Anybody know why he did that?

I was kinda dissapointed that it had A story of One, and the Making of Vertigo, since the first one is on a previous best of cd, and the other one is available even on their website! and they don't even HAVE the Electrical storm video on the site! I agree they should've picked better things for the extras... but besides that I like the dvd :)

would have been nice to see the making of Saints. since they seemed to have documented the whole thing. Also should have included Alternate take of WOWY

I agree with all the points raised by the person who started this thread. BUt being a U2 geek and completist, I still go the U218 videos anyway even if the only benefit I got was the Walk On and the 1980s videos.

I like the London version of Walk on and the 80's videos. Those videos weren't available on official dvd. The rest from 18videos is taken from other dvdreleases (dvdsingle also).

But it could have been such a nice release with a lot of extras...

I will follow, Gloria, A celebration, Two hearts beat as one, The unforgettable fire, Bad, A sort of homecoming, In Gods country, Red hill mining town (finally), Spanish eyes, Desire (hollywood remix), Angel of Harlem, When love comes to town (two versions), All I want is you and Night and day.

'The making of the other one' is totally the same as on the best of 90-00. Why not the making of Elevation, a fine docu from MTV, or the making of Sweetest thing?

I wonder when these vids and docu's make their way to dvd....

wolbersu2 said:
I like the London version of Walk on and the 80's videos. Those videos weren't available on official dvd. The rest from 18videos is taken from other dvdreleases (dvdsingle also).

But it could have been such a nice release with a lot of extras...

I will follow, Gloria, A celebration, Two hearts beat as one, The unforgettable fire, Bad, A sort of homecoming, In Gods country, Red hill mining town (finally), Spanish eyes, Desire (hollywood remix), Angel of Harlem, When love comes to town (two versions), All I want is you and Night and day.

'The making of the other one' is totally the same as on the best of 90-00. Why not the making of Elevation, a fine docu from MTV, or the making of Sweetest thing?

I wonder when these vids and docu's make their way to dvd....

FYI, if you're looking for a DVD release of Night & Day, you can get it. it's on the Red Hot + Blue DVD. it's available on Amazon, usually cheap.

Snowlock said:

FYI, if you're looking for a DVD release of Night & Day, you can get it. it's on the Red Hot + Blue DVD. it's available on Amazon, usually cheap.

Thanks , I will order it.

Does anyone know the official name of the Vertigo Lisbon version? Is it a remix of Vertigo? Jacknife Lee?

Why are people so pissed that we got nothing for WITS? There was nothing to release!

And does anyone know why (esp. on Vertigo and Walk On) there is guitar missing in some parts? The intro? On I think it's the HQ version of Vertigo I don't hear Edge properly until the outro. Or do I not have the audio cord plugged in all the way?

Last edited:
The name on the DVD is "Vertigo (Lisbon Version)", but I believe the audio is the Jacknife Lee (7 inch?) Mix.

People are pissed about WITS because they clearly knew there would be a video, yet released a DVD of aforementioned singles without it.

COBL_04 said:

Why are people so pissed that we got nothing for WITS? There was nothing to release!

Exactly. Or would people prefer something quickly put together for the sake of having something a la Hands that built America video?

U2girl said:

Exactly. Or would people prefer something quickly put together for the sake of having something a la Hands that built America video?

No, but people might prefer:
a) U2 planning and making the video for WITS in time for the DVD.

b) U2 delaying the release of the DVD until all the material for it was ready.

Here is your new car sir, but please note you must buy the steering wheel seperately in 2 months! As compensation, we have fitted an extra wheel & two gearshifts.

thelaj said:
The name on the DVD is "Vertigo (Lisbon Version)", but I believe the audio is the Jacknife Lee (7 inch?) Mix.

Cool thanks.

And thelaj, I can understand the delay theory, in fact I was expecting that myself, but the planning doco I don't think would have worked because the whole filming process only took place after the 18th.

Back
Top Bottom