U218 Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey Roland...Mr Daredevil....send me an email u2vertigo@gmail.com....I lost your email address....this is one of your old pals :)

Im enjoying my Steve Yzerman and Mark Messier cards you sent me a few years ago :)

I think this isn't a bad compilation for the casual market, though I think taking out "Stuck" for "EBTTRT" would be better :)

4 tracks from ATYCLB is too many I guess, but what really annoys me is the new tracks. I know that they are as an "incentive" to buyers, but is it proven this technique actually works? I am sure most people would prefer 20 U2 songs (that way including EBTTRT, IWF/Stay) than 18 and a cover/collaboration & -asyetunknownqualitysong-.

Oh well, I wished for Zoo Station & Electric Co on the DVD, but at least we have some different tracks there...

The way I'm looking at this U218 release is different based on which "hat" that I'm wearing: the hardcore fan (must be if I post on here) or the casual fan. From the hardcore fan view, I agree with the 1990s omissions complaints. U2 did have some great gems among some of the questionable songs they did in the 90s, and those should have some merit for being on the album i.e. Stay, Discotheque.

However, when wearing my casual fan hat, I can't help but think that this is a great release. “I know most of these songs and I can get the best of this band I've always somewhat liked on one CD.” In this POV, I think having 2 or 3 songs that weren't really hit singles on the album instead of other songs I had heard before might prevent me from buying the album. I have several greatest hits CDs from other artists in my collection and I have many where I wish the studio/artists would have put more hit singles on them instead of other songs that are probably just fan favorites. U218 really has a great amount of hit radio songs (except for “Stuck”) and I think will sell fairly well to people that just want all the hits and nothing else. As a business major, I can vouch that this is a smart idea.

Also, “Elevation” is a hit in the U.S. as I’ve heard it often on alternative rock stations and many times at sporting events. It deserves its spot on the CD (although I hope its not the album version). On the other hand, “Stuck” is a song I don’t think I’ve ever heard on the radio and it probably should have been replaced with “I Will Follow.” I think that having a great CD with mostly hits will be a great way to inspire fans to explore for themselves the back catalog of U2. That is what happened to me.

I am one of those relatively ‘new’ fans of U2 hated by this board which became a fan by picking up the Slane DVD which had a lot of hit songs that I always kind of liked. Upon seeing this concert on film, my interest in the band skyrocketed and I explored U2 at my own pace. If you had shown me Popmart as my first U2 concert ever, I probably would have been turned off by the band since “new wave” rock isn’t really my style (although it does work with U2 after it grew on me). It has to do with instant gratification vs. slowly learning to love a song. Instant gratification works best with attracting new fans and then hopefully getting them interested in exploring the back catalog. I’ll be buying U218 (deluxe) to be sure because of this casual fan aspect of myself.

Stuck peaked at #52 in the US and stayed on the Hot 100 for 20 weeks. Elevation reached #116. So i think we know what the bigger hit was.

Angel of Harlem i feel is the major ommission from this album. It was a #14 hit in the US and stayed in the Top 40 for 8 weeks. Not a lot of U2 songs have done better.

we are all gonna be discussing this for years! at they end of the day what ever 16 songs they picked someone was goona say can't believe they left that song off etc etc!!!!

I feel that they got the selection just about right for what the album is designed for 'their biggest well known hits' and i also feel it was important too include quite a few recent hits on there so it appeals more to the younger crowd as i would guess most of the CD buyers are gonna be aged 16-40

adrobw said:
I am one of those relatively ‘new’ fans of U2 hated by this board which became a fan by picking up the Slane DVD which had a lot of hit songs that I always kind of liked. Upon seeing this concert on film, my interest in the band skyrocketed and I explored U2 at my own pace. If you had shown me Popmart as my first U2 concert ever, I probably would have been turned off by the band since “new wave” rock isn’t really my style (although it does work with U2 after it grew on me). It has to do with instant gratification vs. slowly learning to love a song. Instant gratification works best with attracting new fans and then hopefully getting them interested in exploring the back catalog. I’ll be buying U218 (deluxe) to be sure because of this casual fan aspect of myself.

Great post. I think that you've hit the nail on the head in terms of this release. I don't think it really matters to the hardcore fan whether they release this or not. And we shouldn't complain about 'new' fans - we were all new fans once! I got into U2 during the Pop era and worked my way back through their catalogue at a slow pace too. Everyone needs something to get them hooked on a band. I definitely didn't feel out of place seeing Radiohead this year in spite of only getting into them in the past eighteen months.

This is a solid tracklisting, save the absence of Stay and I Will Follow. I think we expected Pop to be ignored, so we can't complain about that. To those who complain about the DVD I say, what if they had simply released this collection without any incentive at all? At least we are getting some value for money from it, rather than a rehashed b-sides collection or something. It is, after all, something unreleased that the fans had been clambering for, so they do listen to us in the end.

Regarding the inclusion of the Sweetest Thing and Stuck, I happen to like both of those tracks, although I dislike ATYCLB. They also suit a collection like this very well since they're serious single material, particularly the former. I think that 4 tracks from ATYCLB is a bit excessive, but I think that what we'll see in this compilation are releases of single versions that people who only own albums - even if them all - haven't got already. This applies particularly to Elevation and Walk On, both of whose single versions are far superior to those on the album.

All in all we can't complain really. It's not the death of U2, we get a new song, they get something to go on tour with, and we'll probably get a new album next Christmas. It's all good.

PookaMacP said:

All in all we can't complain really. It's not the death of U2, we get a new song, they get something to go on tour with, and we'll probably get a new album next Christmas. It's all good.

Does anyone know whether or not they will be touring off the back of U218?

I agree, it was going to have to be the commercial tracks to appeal to the widest audience, to try and decide on their 16 greatest songs to appeal to the hardcore U2 fans but be pretty much impossible. From my point of view I will find it quite handy because I will have 1 cd with all of their hits which I can play in my car as I have often tryed to compile my own compilation of my favourite tracks and found the decision too hard!

I am extremely surprised that Please, All I Want is You, IWF & Real Thing werent picked. Then again, Im sure thats all they could fit onto the cd.
Sweetest Thing should have been dropped.
Too bad Electric Co wasnt included on the dvd....maybe it will be an easter egg

I don't understand the reason and question the intelligence of those who decided on an official partial release of the Milan concert. My understanding is that it was a good show.

What is mentally challenged point of a partial release? Why? Why? Why?

:madspit:

The only "real" surprises could have been

Omission of: I Will Follow, EBTTRT, Stay
Inclusion of: Sweetest Thing, Stuck AND Walk On

Anyone who thinks the list is surprising in another way, obviously can't see the target market too well (naturally, since we generally dislike casual fans for whatever reason).

As a casual fan of other artists, I get frustrated when their hits CD omits a hit and includes a fan-favourite...I am sure I'm not the only one who feels like this.

i am outraged that things to make and do wasn't included... bono's lyric writing has never been finer.

no matter what songs they put on this, someone will be upset 'cause everyone has a different take on what songs are the band's "best." i'm sure the band themselves even debated what to leave on and what to leave off.

ultimately this disc is designed to get those who may not be into u2, into u2... and if they like what they hear, they'll go out and buy the other albums, anyways.

thelaj said:

As a casual fan of other artists, I get frustrated when their hits CD omits a hit and includes a fan-favourite...I am sure I'm not the only one who feels like this.

awesome point!

:shrug: My only surprise is zero songs from 4 albums, when U2.com says this is the only single disc Best of that spans everything from Boy to Bomb.

How can anyone defend this tracklist? Quite apart from the almost total lack of 90s songs, and the inclusion of FOUR songs from an album released in 2000, the order of the songs is abysmal, completely devoid of any flow. I appreciate the audience U2 is targeting, but find it frustrating that it could so easily have been so much better. It's the casual fans that are ultimately losing out.

My only comment is - they really should have added Zoo Station and The Fly from Milan - I don't understand why. They used the visuals to the max at that part of the show, and it would have been nice for those who have not seen the Stadium Show to see it, as it would have been for all of us who did see it, to have a memory.

Just my 2c.

Tombola said:
How can anyone defend this tracklist? Quite apart from the almost total lack of 90s songs, and the inclusion of FOUR songs from an album released in 2000, the order of the songs is abysmal, completely devoid of any flow. I appreciate the audience U2 is targeting, but find it frustrating that it could so easily have been so much better. It's the casual fans that are ultimately losing out.

I actually think its just about right! ok there are a few songs which are not on there which could of been but you can not please everyone and as for the tracklisting i am sure U2 know better than anyone on this forum which songs can flow into another etc!

I think it's an okay tracklisting, no surprises for me, but I am looking forward to the new song and the live DVD. Does anyone know if there will be a live CD as well or is the "Limited edition" only the one with the live DVD and the regular edition only the U2 19 CD? And what about the videos DVD. I am a little confused right now about the different editions, because on Amazon it says "Limited Edition" contains two CD's.

two shots said:
My only comment is - they really should have added Zoo Station and The Fly from Milan - I don't understand why. They used the visuals to the max at that part of the show, and it would have been nice for those who have not seen the Stadium Show to see it, as it would have been for all of us who did see it, to have a memory.

Just my 2c.

I think they do not want to double (or trible) everything. I am sure we will see the Fly and ZooStation in the 3D Movie. And that`s cool for me. From nowone I 'm just thinking about the 3D Movie (without Hamish Hamilton). Milan is a bonus.

(they really should spare Miss Sarajewo out - it`s emberassing when Bono sings the Pavarotti part-
:huh: )

the tracklisting of the CD is o.k. for me. - because we will get a lot of videos we did not have on the 1990-2000 best of.

I am just wondering what happenend to "all I want is you"and "the unforgettable fire". Two great tracks and two great videos - I hope we will get these as a Bonos on the video-DVD.:drool:

and I really hope and guess that the older tracks gets a remastering. - Sunday Bloody Sunday is a must for this.

thelaj said:

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom