U218 Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mofo said:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

People its a U2 Singles Disc not the best of u2, not the essential u2, not the most briliant songs by u2, its a SINGLES DISC, I'm not to crazy about the songs either but did you really expected anything else? actually I'm just surprised that Discoteque isn't in there since it went straight to #1 in most countries but we all expected for Zooropa and Pop to be ignored like always

Yeah, 4 songs off of All That does surprise me. There have been a lot of singles.

Zooropean103 said:
Just to add some more whining :wink: - don't you think the flow of the CD is pretty bad? The beginning is done well with BD, ISHFWILF and Pride, but then comes WOWY followed by Vertigo? Stuck ---> Streets? Walk On ---> Elevation ---> Sometimes? Blah, something's not right. And as it was predicted- no Zooropa nor Pop songs.

WOWY--->Vertigo

:lol:

I love "The Fly" as much as the next guy (it's my second favorite U2 track).........but this compilation is strictly the biggest set of hits they could compile. It's their answer to The Beatles' "1".........quit complaining about the selections and remember that this is NOT a Best Of, but rather a Greatest Hits. These are there most popular songs. Deal with it.

Niceman said:

Yeah, 4 songs off of All That does surprise me. There have been a lot of singles.

since ATYCLB they gained a lot of new fans, and as much as Walk On is a better song than Stuck and Elevation IMO they could've wait to put that in the 2000-2010 best of (if it's ever released) and put Discoteque or something else

well we have to remember that the 4 of them obviuosly sat down and discussed this throughly and these are the 16 songs they come up with and who is to doubt their judgement!

whatever 16 songs they picked someone was always not gonna agree with it!

All That You Can't Leave Behind is their second best album, nearly as good as the Joshua Tree. Three of those tracks (BD, WO and Stuck) are some of my all time favorites. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean those tracks aren't representative of U2. Remember that ATYCLB sold almost three times as many copies as Pop. Only War and Joshua Tree have done something similar, so it's certainly one of their most commercially sucessful albums.

And:

BD/WO/Stuck > Discotheque/Stay/All I Want Is You/Bad

And believe me, there's millions of others who feel the same way. They just might not visit this board.

BigMacPhisto said:
All That You Can't Leave Behind is their second best album, nearly as good as the Joshua Tree. Three of those tracks (BD, WO and Stuck) are some of my all time favorites. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean those tracks aren't representative of U2. Remember that ATYCLB sold almost three times as many copies as Pop. Only War and Joshua Tree have done something similar, so it's certainly one of their most commercially sucessful albums.

And:

BD/WO/Stuck > Discotheque/Stay/All I Want Is You/Bad

And believe me, there's millions of others who feel the same way. They just might not visit this board.

I won't get into that whole ATYCLB is their second best album because that is a matter or personal preferences and opinions (however to this day I still enjoy a lot that album unlike many on this board) and just because they are some of your all time favorites doesn't mean they are representative of U2, just like my all time favorites also might not represent U2, this is about the most commercial songs of U2 not really their best in their catalogue and Acthung Baby has sold more than any other u2 record except Joshua Tree

Mofo said:

I won't get into that whole ATYCLB is their second best album because that is a matter or personal preferences and opinions (however to this day I still enjoy a lot that album unlike many on this board) and just because they are some of your all time favorites doesn't mean they are representative of U2, just like my all time favorites also might not represent U2, this is about the most commercial songs of U2 not really their best in their catalogue and Acthung Baby has sold more than any other u2 record except Joshua Tree

I would have liked the album to fairly sample ALL albums....but lacking that Joshua Tree and Achtung are certainly their best selling and most popular. FOUR songs from ALL THAT is silly.

Concerning AB warranting more selections that ATYCLB......you still hear "Elevation" and "Stuck" all the time on the radio........when was the last time you heard "The Fly" or "Even Better Than The Real Thing" or "Wild Horses"? Not often, I presume. While the album was huge, only two of its singles still receive mega-airplay.

and does that really make ATYCLB better than achtung baby?? just because they get more airplay they are more representative of their music?

I agree with Niceman that it would have been nice to have at least one song of each album but I really wasn't expecting songs from Pop and Zooropa this is a singles album

BigMacPhisto said:
Concerning AB warranting more selections that ATYCLB......you still hear "Elevation" and "Stuck" all the time on the radio........when was the last time you heard "The Fly" or "Even Better Than The Real Thing" or "Wild Horses"? Not often, I presume. While the album was huge, only two of its singles still receive mega-airplay.

Sometimes I hear the Fly, or Even Better. But remember, Achtung is 15 years old! All That only came out in 2000.

And I don't remember hearing Walk On or Elevation on the radio for a long time....

This list obviously shows how much stock U2 puts into All That... six years after its release. 2 from Achtung Baby! is a bit of a suprise. The 2 from the Bomb may suggest that they are still trying to sell that album with the relaunch of the tour. I think they would of been fine with just Vertigo in this package.

Actually, Elevation is a sports arena hit in my area (Western Canada). I hear it a lot. Doesn't mean I love it, but definetly is out there on the speakers playing in public places.

I'm not too excited about Stuck or Elevation, as well as ISHFWILF. But that is just personal taste. While the album is definitely missing a lot of 90s songs, i do understand why the band would have a hard time finding songs from that era. Achtung Baby was amazing, but looking back, the only two songs that non-fanatic fans really remember are One and MW. And as far as Pop goes, there's not a single song on that album that any mainstream fan would recognize. I would probably replace Stuck with Stay and leave the rest as is. It's not a Best of, but it's pretty close.

4 ATYCLB songs probably are on their just because of their grammy sweep with that album. For the younger audience, those songs are their soundtrack to U2. Most teens don't even know U2 has a song called Discotheque or Stay(sad as it is), but can recognize a song like Stuck or WO, just because of all the exposure it got. They want the casual fan to buy the cd and be able to say "hey I remember this song" and the four songs from ATYCLB will have most casual fans saying that.

Its strange that Stay isn't on the compiliation - didn't Bono say this was their best song ever?

Also question - as its supposedly a single's collection - why is Sunday Bloody Sunday included? I didn't think this was released as a single anywhere?

But biggest beef -- no unforgetable Fire...

2861U2 said:
I wonder how many more variations of the title we will here.

Window on the Skies?
Windows in the Skies?
Window of the Sky?
Win Dough in the Sky?
Wind, Oh in the sky?

:wink:

I'm waiting for it to actually be announced that it's a cover of Journeys Wheel In The Sky

1. You don't hear Walk On or Stuck on the radio. Do people actually remember Stuck any more than EBTTRT?
2. If the CD is aimed for casual fans, why would those fans buy something with songs that they can hear every day on the radio? :huh:
3. The chosen Milan stuff lacks the highlights of the outdoor shows.
4. This is another giant middle finger to devoted U2 fans.

Most casual U2 fans I know adore 'Stay'.

It could have easily replaced 'Sometimes' as a more well known single.

'Stay' is the more beautiful song (personal opinion, sure, but even Bono called it "the most beautiful song" they've ever written).

Besides 'Sometimes', it could also have replaced 'Elevation' or 'Stuck' as the more well known single. Take your pick.

Not including 'Stay' just doesn't make sense even from a top singles perspective....but it's all about marketing their latest albums in the end.

Screwtape2 said:
4. This is another giant middle finger to devoted U2 fans.

how is this a 'fuck you' to people like us? they gave us these songs... to have held on to them, now THAT would be a 'fuck you'.

Back
Top Bottom